Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

It improves the movie that Chewbacca was unfairly denied a medal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games

romanowski posted:

what about merchandising

Right. Also is home video (which I'm assuming includes Youtube purchases and whatnot) really that bad these days?

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

Quantum Shart posted:

Release the Rian Johnson trilogy

He's not wrong? Rose should have done something, put in a one minute scene of her broadcasting a super lib call to arms message to the galaxy or something drat.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

This is a silly nitpick, but when Palpatine is telling Rey that if she kills him like she is planning to she'll actually be doing exactly what he wants its like, if you had not said anything and just like Rey kill you (or better yet, ACT like it's something that you don't want, even mock fight her for a bit) you could have gotten what you wanted!

Fake EDIT: Although to be fair this sort of fits his personality at this point. Someone who is so sure he will win and triumph, he will literally tell his plan to his to his enemy because to him there is 0% chance of failure no matter what happens.

Well, this IS a guy whose plans for galactic domination consisted of:
- build a giant space weapon that can destroy planets
- when that fails, build another giant space weapon that can destroy planets
- when that fails, wait a few decades then put a bug in someone's ear to transform a planet into an even bigger space weapon that can destroy planets
- as a contingency for when that fails, have a side plan of a massive fleet of slightly smaller space weapons, each of which can destroy a planet

Unoriginal Name
Aug 1, 2006

by sebmojo
All of Chewie's friends are dead but its OK, he got a medal!

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

TIN0 posted:

Remember the cave of mirror of reflections in TLJ. My theory is the original script called for the reflections hint at her parentage (with either Jedi linerage or Sith linerage). But Rian Johnson threw that out and turned Rey's background into a "low born" "commoner".

But JJ did another 180 on that concept and now the mirror cave subplot is pointless.

Was there an original script? I thought he wrote the whole thing himself?

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Unoriginal Name posted:

Maz swiped it from Han's stuff

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Bongo Bill posted:

It improves the movie that Chewbacca was unfairly denied a medal.

Wrong. It's unadulterated wookieism.

Marin Karin
Jul 29, 2011

What are you, compared to my magnificence?
i can't get over rey and kylo fighting over a ship thinking chewie was on it, but... he wasn't. and you never even see a second ship nearby, it's not like the characters made a mistake. it just suddenly wasn't the right ship anymore.

that scene really defines the entire movie for me

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

I think it's in her video about the live action Beauty and the Beast remake that Lindsay Ellis talks about Disney using those films to try to atone for the criticisms of the older ones.

Chewie getting the medal is even worse than that because it takes a jokey complaint about A New Hope and makes it real, like Chewie actually did want a medal that whole time and no one would give him one. The simpler explanation for why he wouldn't want a medal is that he's a wookie and doesn't care about that poo poo. He wears one article of clothing and it's ammunition - we already know where his priorities lie.

Is this what all that complaining was about? People crapping out about the medal. I couldn't figure out what the deal about that was. At the time I just assumed that it was Han's medal from Death Star I. That after his death it was given to Leia and that after her death (and Ben's), she willed it to Chewbacca.

Unoriginal Name
Aug 1, 2006

by sebmojo

Marin Karin posted:

i can't get over rey and kylo fighting over a ship thinking chewie was on it, but... he wasn't. and you never even see a second ship nearby, it's not like the characters made a mistake. it just suddenly wasn't the right ship anymore.

that scene really defines the entire movie for me

I dont know why you're complaining, somebody told you it was the wrong transport at least twice after that

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

2house2fly posted:

Was there an original script? I thought he wrote the whole thing himself?

Depends, there was an original treatment. Treatments aren't scripts (They're more like outlines with plot beats and an act structure along with characters) but regardless Rian tossed it all aside and simply said JJ didn't give him anything, which JJ was like "Yes I did." Just in case these films being a glorified Wookiepedia edit war wasn't clear enough.

Like... So George either did a treatment or at least presented an outline for an ST. JJ threw that all out and did TFA, he then a did a treatment for 8 and 9 and left, Rian came in, discarded the treatments, and did TLJ in one or two drafts. Then whoever was scheduled for third, wrote a script or a treatment, got fired and JJ came back.

The production issues for the ST are hilarious and we'll never get those Making Of books.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc
I liked that to kill the bad ships you just have to shoot them in the dick

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

The new movies are obsessed with fetishizing things, the dice, the saber, the medal, the falcon.

As a kid did anyone spend the whole of ROTJ worrying about the magical blue laser sword and hope it was coming back? The movie just literally says "oh you made a new one, nice" Vader doesn't go "noooo the sacred sword"

Anyone else find it funny that Rey was holding the sith dagger and vader's lightsaber at the same time and goes "this weapon has a lotta bad vibes on it" lmao

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

Onmi posted:

Depends, there was an original treatment. Treatments aren't scripts (They're more like outlines with plot beats and an act structure along with characters) but regardless Rian tossed it all aside and simply said JJ didn't give him anything, which JJ was like "Yes I did." Just in case these films being a glorified Wookiepedia edit war wasn't clear enough.

Like... So George either did a treatment or at least presented an outline for an ST. JJ threw that all out and did TFA, he then a did a treatment for 8 and 9 and left, Rian came in, discarded the treatments, and did TLJ in one or two drafts. Then whoever was scheduled for third, wrote a script or a treatment, got fired and JJ came back.

The production issues for the ST are hilarious and we'll never get those Making Of books.
kind of a dick move to say he wasn't given anything, he could just say he wanted to do his own thing

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Ingmar terdman posted:

The new movies are obsessed with fetishizing things, the dice, the saber, the medal, the falcon.

As a kid did anyone spend the whole of ROTJ worrying about the magical blue laser sword and hope it was coming back? The movie just literally says "oh you made a new one, nice" Vader doesn't go "noooo the sacred sword"

Anyone else find it funny that Rey was holding the sith dagger and vader's lightsaber at the same time and goes "this weapon has a lotta bad vibes on it" lmao

Like all the green saber and the "You have constructed your own, your training is complete" told me as a kid was- Okay loving nothing because Return was my first film, but I at least got the idea that to become a Jedi you made your own laser sword.

So Rey's completed her training by making her Goldsaber. It's kinda weird you'd leave that for after she's killed the ultimate evil who wanted her to kill him- actually no sorry I'm going off on this again.

When Palpatine wanted Luke to strike him down, it wasn't because he had mystical soul voodoo to take over Luke's body and make him evil, it would be because giving in to those emotions would corrupt him. That's why the only real way to break the cycle of Sith vs Jedi is to do it with no emotion (As the old Jedi preached probably for that exact reason) or, as Anakin did, out of love and self-sacrifice.

But no it's fine Palpatine got killed by Rey because he didn't get to do his magic ritual. And because he was 'Every Sith' now it means all the Sith have exploded and there's no more bad in the galaxy anymore!

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Ingmar terdman posted:

The lightsaber at least was a thing, but the dice was like wtf, did anyone even notice those things until TLJ shined a spotlight on them?

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

DrNutt posted:

The lightsaber at least was a thing, but the dice was like wtf, did anyone even notice those things until TLJ shined a spotlight on them?

I literally thought they were invented for TLJ. Even going back to watching the OT I cannot see them.

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

You only see them bc Chewie brushes by them. Fittingly, like all of these other objects, you don't care about them outside of their reference to a character

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

Star Wars was dead in the water as soon as TLJ came out and brought out the worst in (and completely divided) both fans and “fans.” Force Awakens was “safe” but generally well received. Then Rogue One came out and owned. After that, lol.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

The dice don't really mean anything, which both makes them kind of sad as the only thing left of Han, and also makes it probably ok that Luke gives a force projection of them to Leia that dissolves right after he does

Onmi posted:

When Palpatine wanted Luke to strike him down, it wasn't because he had mystical soul voodoo to take over Luke's body and make him evil, it would be because giving in to those emotions would corrupt him.
He didn't want Luke to strike him down at all, he wanted Luke to strike down Vader, then Palpatine would get a new apprentice with two arms and legs

Miching Mallecho
May 24, 2010

:yeshaha:
Luke going into the a Falcon specifically to look for those dice made me think Leia gave them to Han or something.

Well imagine my laughter during Solo when the dice got their origin story :lol:

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

romanowski posted:

what about merchandising

It's funny how people forget about merchandising since it's why pretty much every big blockbuster is made these days, licensing fees to Hasbro/Mattel/whoever the gently caress on each toy sold on a hit movie is how we got three Cars movies; five year old boys lost their poo poo over owning eight Maters and McQueens and so forth and that goddamn series was doing like $2 billion a year in toy sales without breaking a sweat. Superheroes keep having their costumes change every movie so that a new line of toys can stock shelves derived from the design. George pretty much got his loans to make everything past A New Hope by showing the banks the returns on merch and saying "you'll get it back and then some", to the point of getting like $400 million scratched together for the prequels with zero involvement from anyone else required.

I figure Disney had paid for the purchase off of toy sales months before Force Awakens even opened.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

2house2fly posted:

He didn't want Luke to strike him down at all, he wanted Luke to strike down Vader, then Palpatine would get a new apprentice with two arms and legs

Who also didn't smell like "feet wrapped in leathery burnt bacon"

Hollywood executive Palpatine is the best Palpatine.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I finished the first episode of The Mandalorian. Strong start. It helped a lot. I heard it dips in episode 3~5, but 6 and 7 are good. It'll help me get my mind off of TROS.

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

I was the space pirate on Kijimi that was so distracted by the woodoo hide sheen of the melted helmet I found on the ground I didn't see the death laser coming

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog
Woodoo?

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Pollyanna posted:

I finished the first episode of The Mandalorian. Strong start. It helped a lot. I heard it dips in episode 3~5, but 6 and 7 are good. It'll help me get my mind off of TROS.

3 is still pretty strong. 4 is a little weaker or maybe just not to everyone's taste, though I liked it. 5 is the weakest, but still doesn't completely suck. 6 is at least on par with 4 and 7 has so far been the best of the lot. Looking forward to 8.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
mandalorian is great it's just a spaghetti western video game and that's all it is trying to be

it's Fun

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

Pollyanna posted:

3 is the best episode of the show but all of them are fine.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
1-3 of mando would have been a cool movie

Raccooon
Dec 5, 2009

Onmi posted:

I literally thought they were invented for TLJ. Even going back to watching the OT I cannot see them.

Yeah I am still not sure what those are. Did Han have them hanging up somewhere next to the pilots chair?

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

TIN0 posted:

Remember the cave of mirror of reflections in TLJ. My theory is the original script called for the reflections hint at her parentage (with either Jedi linerage or Sith linerage). But Rian Johnson threw that out and turned Rey's background into a "low born" "commoner".

But JJ did another 180 on that concept and now the mirror cave subplot is pointless.

That scene is a perfect visualization of the theme of the whole movie. You are influenced by your past but you are not bound to it. Your future is influenced by you but it is not solid. You can break with who you were. You can break who you will be. In the now you are you.

And then RoS shits all over it.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

I think they're a ref to the OT, I remember something about the Falcon having dice in the cockpit as a joke. Also yeah in the Solo movie he got them from his girlfriend and they're his lucky dice that he won the Falcon with

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
I would like to talk about how this movie clearly show Rey grow as a character and also as proof that Rey is not a Mary Sue.

Raccooon
Dec 5, 2009

Can’t remember who said it earlier but if they started with Rey being a former student of Luke’s and was a survivor of the Kylo burn down, it gets rid of the whole lineage poo poo and could have just been the scrappy neophyte Jedi joins the resistance.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Tenzarin posted:

Wrong. It's unadulterated wookieism.

The presence of diegetic wookieeism (which is bad) makes the movie more interesting, I mean.

The nonsensical nature of Maz giving Chewbacca a medal makes it so it can only be read as an attempt to redeem some flaw in A New Hope. That's the only thing in this dumb, dumb movie that comes close to making me mad. I can let trashing The Last Jedi slide because it's at least in service of telling its own story with its own ideas.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
I like how TFA makes the original characters failures, but TLJ at least attempts to give context to their failures, and then in walking back so much of what happens in TLJ and trying to repeat the original trilogy JJ just doubles down on making the original crew pathetic failures that accomplished nothing and have no legacy. The future is hopeless because the evil bad guy can always come back from death and the people that oppose him are fallible and mortal.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Everyone posted:

Who also didn't smell like "feet wrapped in leathery burnt bacon"

Hollywood executive Palpatine is the best Palpatine.

"What the hell is an aluminum falcon?"

This skit is forever inscribed upon my brain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Unoriginal Name posted:

Lando is still alive!