Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Mat Cauthon posted:

Still this is bad enough that the new guy is probably toast too.

It happened under the old showrunner yeah, but the new one is the guy who told Orlando (or just the world in general and Orlando had to read it like everybody else) that "being angry" isn't productive for black characters and that as a middle-aged white man he was the one who could best write from a black male perspective.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

Jerusalem posted:

It happened under the old showrunner yeah, but the new one is the guy who told Orlando (or just the world in general and Orlando had to read it like everybody else) that "being angry" isn't productive for black characters and that as a middle-aged white man he was the one who could best write from a black male perspective.

The writers for This Reality are just really phoning it in nowadays.

Tokubetsu
Dec 18, 2007

Love Is Not Enough
Near a year old bump so apologies? but:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OJzNescEXRk

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers
It's still the last season though, so we can watch it and treat it like a fever dream we forget by the next day?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Remember how Bryan Fuller was the showrunner in the first season, and then the studio decided they knew better than him how to make a good show? Starting to get the vaguest suspicion that maybe this was a poor decision.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

I'm going to watch season 3, but if this was one of the shows that got covid cancelled, I wouldn't have lost any sleep.

mallratcal
Sep 10, 2003

I thought Crispin Glover left and Omid Abtahi got let go?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Can't wait for another season where they build up to something big and then fart it all away again.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Jerusalem posted:

Remember how Bryan Fuller was the showrunner in the first season, and then the studio decided they knew better than him how to make a good show? Starting to get the vaguest suspicion that maybe this was a poor decision.

What did he expect when he went to the network to demand 10M an episode for a show with 750k viewers?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Give Bryan Fuller the money, Network, you'd make me - some guy you don't know - happy :colbert:

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

Andrigaar posted:

It's still the last season though, so we can watch it and treat it like a fever dream we forget by the next day?

When was that announced? I thought they drunkenly renewed it for a 4 in hubristic glory.

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers

END ME SCOOB posted:

When was that announced? I thought they drunkenly renewed it for a 4 in hubristic glory.

Oh god, you're right, they did three-ish months ago (Internet says S3 filming was penciled in for September 20,2019-March 6, 2020) and means despite the production woes they planned on more. So at least 20-ish total more episodes of this slow dumpster fire to go. Guessing one season of peace and one of war. Unless they aim for five seasons, in which I'll walk away and read a synopsis of how they forgot how it was based on a book.

Andrigaar fucked around with this message at 08:45 on Oct 11, 2020

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
I’m not sure I can be hosed watching any more of this show. I’ve never in my life come across a show where so little happened in a season.

Tokubetsu
Dec 18, 2007

Love Is Not Enough
At least the show still looks pretty but yeah expectations for this are very very low.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Step 1: Start fight
Step 2: Attack straw man
Step 3: REPEAT

Do not engage with me

Reminder this show hosed over Orlando Jones, and by the transitive property, the viewers of this show by removing its best part.

Electro-Boogie Jack
Nov 22, 2006
bagger mcguirk sent me.

Love the book and loved season one and I'm honestly baffled that there's going to be a season three (and potentially a season four?!) after the second season. In the spirit of the book, I can only interpret it as the punishment exacted upon us to zero out some kind of horrific karmic debt we've collectively accrued.

Flight Bisque
Feb 23, 2008

There is, surprisingly, always hope.
On the upside, this reminds me I'm overdue to reread the book.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Leading a bit heavy on songs this season I guess

mallratcal
Sep 10, 2003

Oh it's back today!? I'd forgotten all about this show.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
I kept thinking it was cancelled.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
It seems to have some sort of Amazon deal, so they'll end up dragging it out to a fourth season. Wouldn't expect much more than that though.

(I'm reading between the lines here, so don't quote me on this.)

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Four seasons for one short novel. This could have been a fantastic 8 part mini series. Instead we got this poo poo.

Malpais Legate
Oct 1, 2014

This show is desperate to be culturally relevant and it is floundering about like a dead fish.

God it could've been so much better than this.

Edit: At least the guy playing Technical Boy seems to be having a lot of fun.

Malpais Legate fucked around with this message at 04:09 on Jan 11, 2021

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
The first season was pretty good but I fell off season 2, hard. I really doubt I’ll bother finishing it because nothing I’m seeing about season 3 makes it feel like I should bother.

Andrew_1985
Sep 18, 2007
Hay hay hay!
Wait so they killed off the dead Laura Moon?

The old Mr World was intimidating.

While I love the actress of the new Ms World, all I can see is her bitching people out on Pose.

The worst part of this show is still Wednesday. That and the constant actor swaps.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Sataere posted:

Reminder this show hosed over Orlando Jones, and by the transitive property, the viewers of this show by removing its best part.

Everything else is reason enough not to watch, this is bad enough to salt the earth.

Andrew_1985
Sep 18, 2007
Hay hay hay!
Why did they cut him from the program?

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Andrew_1985 posted:

Why did they cut him from the program?

Racism basically. I've decided I can't be hosed watching season 3 of this show. I'll pop into the thread in a couple months to check just in case something actually happened this season.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
I was under the impression that Jones' character wasn't going to be in season 3, and that was why he wasn't asked back.
Considering how aimless season 2 was, perhaps it's best not to pad out the show with characters they have no stories for?

I was happy to see Dead Wife go, she was insufferable.

Andrew_1985 posted:

The worst part of this show is still Wednesday. That and the constant actor swaps.

Ian McShane is by far the best part of the show in my opinion.

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
I might've missed it, but it sure seemed like they entirely excised Jones from the starting flashback montage that otherwise hit pretty much everything in the first couple seasons.

At this point, it is down to just trying to see what in the world they are trying to do in the wake of the terrible decisions since, and largely through, season 2. The season* preview bit at the end was A Lot and chaotic so...

Malpais Legate
Oct 1, 2014

Oasx posted:

I was under the impression that Jones' character wasn't going to be in season 3, and that was why he wasn't asked back.
Considering how aimless season 2 was, perhaps it's best not to pad out the show with characters they have no stories for?

Lmfao that you think she's staying dead.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

Oasx posted:

They didn't just fire him. They waited until after the hiring cycle for the new season of shows was over to fire him, essentially preventing him from being able to work. After he worked on writing scripts for the previous season to ensure they stayed on schedule. But they made up for it by bringing in a white showrunner who understands racism. I don't know how Starz could have its head farther up it's own rear end

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Yeah, Jones got more than hosed by this show, he was turbo-hosed, and it's complete bullshit on their part. As far as I know he didn't even get paid for the writing stuff he did, right? Was he even credited?

I was so pumped for more of this show after the first season. They should have just let Bryan Fuller keep running the show, I don't give a gently caress if it blew out the budget or whatever, the show sucks without him.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

Jerusalem posted:

Yeah, Jones got more than hosed by this show, he was turbo-hosed, and it's complete bullshit on their part. As far as I know he didn't even get paid for the writing stuff he did, right? Was he even credited?

I was so pumped for more of this show after the first season. They should have just let Bryan Fuller keep running the show, I don't give a gently caress if it blew out the budget or whatever, the show sucks without him.

I don't believe he was. Guy was a team player by all accounts, then got the relationship equivalent of being dumped by text

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

The only way Fuller would get a secure showrunner job is if some mbillionaire was a huge fan and underwrote the entire production just so they'd get more of it, like with Bezos and The Expanse

The man makes some phenomenally gorgeous television, but it doesn't come cheap

Party Boat fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Jan 11, 2021

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Bill Gates secure Hannibal Season 4 you coward :argh:

Andrew_1985
Sep 18, 2007
Hay hay hay!

Oasx posted:

Oh Ian McShane is fantastic but his character sucks. He‘a playing a character from Lost essentially. Someone who keeps information to themselves for no good reason.

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

Andrew_1985 posted:

Oh Ian McShane is fantastic but his character sucks. He‘a playing a character from Lost essentially. Someone who keeps information to themselves for no good reason.

at least in the book he's got a drat fine reason.

somehow i wound up sharing Orlando's GREAT "angry gets poo poo done" clip on the middle passage with a friend of mine via text a week or two back and he loved the clip despite never having watched the show and it piqued his interest. i shouldn't have done that ciz now he wants to watch the show :negative:

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
You'd think they would want to come out strong for the new season but nothing happens. Wednesday tells shadow there's a war coming and he needs shadow's help. Shadow tells him to gently caress off. Whatever the hell the mr world character is now says they gotta stop Wednesday. It's the same poo poo they did every episode last season, and the season before. How many more "we need to go visit this old God I used to know" plots that don't go anywhere do we need? This show feels like some sort of prank where the writers see how long they can spin their wheels before people just give up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
They're milking it

Trying to squeeze blood from a stone