Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

How is it that the entire disney empire couldn't out-merchandise george lucas

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

ungulateman posted:

has anyone who's fallen into a pit stayed dead in Star Wars, now? is boba fett Actually Dead this time or has the new, equally stupid EU let him escape the sarlacc again?

He’s supposed to be dead but someone in the eu found what was implied to be his armor or some poo poo, then in the stinger of a recent ep of the Mandalorian Ming Na-Wen gets killed on Tatooine and a mysterious figure approaches her so who knows.

MJeff posted:

I've heard people say that the Man Delorean is like Samurai Jack but Star Wars, c/d

Hard C

The fourth episode is almost a total remake of a samurai jack ep

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

Piell posted:

Yes, her lightsaber in the flashbacks was green but in present day it was blue, I noticed this too.

luke's saber was green, because luke's saber was green. leia's saber was blue.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler

Piell posted:

Yes, her lightsaber in the flashbacks was green but in present day it was blue, I noticed this too.

I have to chalk this up to an intentional misdirect. Luke has the green saber at the end of RotJ, you're supposed to think he got the upper hand on his sister but nope, Leia is the stronger fighter. At that point his blue saber was lost on Bespin. Did they ever explain how it ended up on Takodana or is that "a story for another time" that never went anywhere?

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

JUST FUCKING TAKE OFF ALREADY, SHIT
Rogue One is probably one of the best Star Wars films because it contains familiar tropes to Star Wars, but does so in a way that allows you experience as a stand-alone film without wanting more. Cassian offing one of his buddy informants to prevent capture tells more story in 3 minutes than most Star Wars movies take to do in an hour. We see K2-SO go from distrusting Jyn to accepting her. Base and Chirrut have amazing chemistry that makes it feel like it’s been a thing between them for a lifetime. Jyn sees what the Empire does to her family and eventually loses her life to make sure they pay for it dearly. Bodhi is an endearing low-level defector that his death made us feel the hopelessness of the situation.

Because this wasn’t about the Jedi or Skywalkers or anything political, seeing common ground troops and pilots made it feel more gritty and real. Watching a U-Wing crash and burn into a squad of stormtroopers was amazing.

That’s what Star Wars can do to keep it relevant and good. The Mandalorian is also amazing in its short but dense stories, characters with actual development, and serious stakes keeps me wanting more.

A Rogue Squadron series would be great because there are battles that can be shown that have major affects on the universe. Maybe scenes with them working on updating their X-Wing designs or dealing with the small growing First Order.

Star Wars started with a farm boy who just wanted to escape his boring life and it blossomed into an adventure. That’s what people love. Luke still stayed grounded in his abilities, and he wasn’t some Super Saiyajin character in the OT. It was within a realm of believability.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Spacebump posted:

What was the crowd like at everyone’s showing? I saw it the first night and the crowd was mostly silent the whole film. (Except during the opening crawl and at the end.) I’ve never seen a crowd for a new Star Wars film that silent.

The crowd at my theater was completely silent all the way through. One guy tried to start an applause when the credits started but gave up after half a second when no one joined him.

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

Oh yeah, baby. Frame your suffering as a masterpiece. Only one problem - no one's watching. It's boring, buddy, boring as death.

Hazo posted:

Hard C

Holy moly, SJ, like Mando is inspired by Yojimbo and Kung Fu. Watch them heathens.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

I have to chalk this up to an intentional misdirect. Luke has the green saber at the end of RotJ, you're supposed to think he got the upper hand on his sister but nope, Leia is the stronger fighter. At that point his blue saber was lost on Bespin. Did they ever explain how it ended up on Takodana or is that "a story for another time" that never went anywhere?

Bleck posted:

luke's saber was green, because luke's saber was green. leia's saber was blue.

Ah woops, must have missed that between the mushy CGI and their helmets.

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

Hazo posted:

lol come on dude

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

It's a good story for another time!

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Ringo Star Get posted:

Rogue One is probably one of the best Star Wars films because it contains familiar tropes to Star Wars, but does so in a way that allows you experience as a stand-alone film without wanting more. Cassian offing one of his buddy informants to prevent capture tells more story in 3 minutes than most Star Wars movies take to do in an hour.

This person on the internet knows good movies.

Rogue one is the best star wars movie. Everything after it has been course correction that leads the movies into doom. AKA just like DC movies.

MAN OF STEEL BABY!

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Uncle Wemus posted:

Well... it's a multitude of factors really, namely that George got kids hooked, and as much as it's repeated: "These are films for children about space wizards." Uh... the kid audience doesn't really give a poo poo about Star Wars. The prequels worked because there was a tv show to go along with them, so even if the kids didn't really get the films, they got the tv show which had the same characters so there's a crossover of merchandise. There's no TV show about the ST timeline. There's a lot of merch, but... kids don't care? Like Rebels sells/sold pretty well as far as I can tell, and that makes sense, it was a show aimed at kids and kids often saw it because it was weekly, so it sold. But... they've no connection to Rey or Finn or Poe, Kylo does better because he has a unique visual design and flare, same reason the Stormtroopers and Vader always sold well.

Disney probably has more merchandise, but it's not as focused as what Lucas's would be. Don't get me wrong, they still make money off merchandise, but it's not the amount they could be making.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

romanowski posted:

lol come on dude

It probably was. Outsider(s) help a peaceful village beset by criminals isn't exactly an uncommon trope in adventure/fantasy fiction.

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

it's seven samurai you philistines

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

I'm firmly in the camp of Rogue One being pretty drat good.

It's what I want for all future SW movies. Ditch trilogies and just make cool stories independent of eachother.

Hell, structure it like the smaller Marvel movies where characters might have small crossovers but not massive meta plot.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

Inzombiac posted:

I'm firmly in the camp of Rogue One being pretty drat good.

It's what I want for all future SW movies. Ditch trilogies and just make cool stories independent of eachother.

Hell, structure it like the smaller Marvel movies where characters might have small crossovers but not massive meta plot.

Rogue One is my favorite non-OT Star Wars movie.

Hbomberguy
Jul 4, 2009

[culla=big red]TufFEE did nO THINg W̡RA̸NG[/read]

Prior to this week, there was a debate about which was the worst star wars movie. I am glad at last it has been settled

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Still waiting for someone to make a youtube about how the prequels are actually good movies.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Tenzarin posted:

Still waiting for someone to make a youtube about how the prequels are actually good movies.

Do you... lack the ability to search?

Gorelab
Dec 26, 2006

Honestly I really like the prequels conceptually, because the fall of the Republic/Jedi due to their own flaws making them unable to see or react to what was coming is good. It's just Lucas didn't have the skill to bring it through well.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Onmi posted:

Do you... lack the ability to search?

I was making a more pointed joke.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

The prequels are good, with no qualifications.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
The prequels are good, now would you guys like to talk about how Rey is not a Mary Sue? They show her training, not everyone likes her, and she doesn't do everything right.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
Tenzarin buddy this joke is shallow and repetitive, just like Rey's character arc

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

I don't think I understand the nature of the gimmick you're on.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

ungulateman posted:

Rey's character arc is shallow and repetitive

Rey is a great character and a great addition to the star wars universe.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Here's a question.

In TROS, where does JJ's episode 8 end and where does his episode 9 begin?

Tenzarin posted:

The prequels are good, now would you guys like to talk about how Rey is not a Mary Sue? They show her training, not everyone likes her, and she doesn't do everything right.

I just want to say I appreciate your avatar being THE BEST OP from Bleach, but you're laying it on pretty thick, dude.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

MJeff posted:

I just want to say I appreciate your avatar being THE BEST OP from Bleach, but you're laying it on pretty thick, dude.

Thanks bro, it's one of my favorite ones that perfectly fits with the mood of that part of bleach.

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

The first act of planet hopping feels like Clone Wars episode style jaunts to satisfy people wanting to see the three young rebels together again, but actually for the first time. can't blame Rian for not having Rey and Poe meet when Poe was a late-game rewrite to not die on Jakku anyway

dandaman
Dec 30, 2005

Raccooon posted:

This thread got me to rewatch obi wan darth maul fight. That sequence of them fighting right after Qui Gon is killed. Still dope as hell with them just wailing on each other.

Read an interview with McGregor the other day. That part of the fight had to be slowed down in post production because Ewan and Ray rehearsed it so much and got so into it, that the whole fight was instinct to them.

Its Chocolate
Dec 21, 2019
The Revenge of Sith

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Onmi posted:

Well... it's a multitude of factors really, namely that George got kids hooked, and as much as it's repeated: "These are films for children about space wizards." Uh... the kid audience doesn't really give a poo poo about Star Wars. The prequels worked because there was a tv show to go along with them, so even if the kids didn't really get the films, they got the tv show which had the same characters so there's a crossover of merchandise. There's no TV show about the ST timeline. There's a lot of merch, but... kids don't care? Like Rebels sells/sold pretty well as far as I can tell, and that makes sense, it was a show aimed at kids and kids often saw it because it was weekly, so it sold. But... they've no connection to Rey or Finn or Poe, Kylo does better because he has a unique visual design and flare, same reason the Stormtroopers and Vader always sold well.

Disney probably has more merchandise, but it's not as focused as what Lucas's would be. Don't get me wrong, they still make money off merchandise, but it's not the amount they could be making.

the lack of really original spaceships and vehicles and stuff isn't great for hawking toys

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

Tenzarin posted:

This person on the internet knows good movies.

Rogue one is the best star wars movie. Everything after it has been course correction that leads the movies into doom. AKA just like DC movies.

MAN OF STEEL BABY!

Man of Steel is a good movie though.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Uncle Wemus posted:

The enormous change that the OG Star Wars toys brought to the landscape is what is remembered. Like did anyone really care for the Power of the Force issues in the 90s?
Now it's pretty much "I can get a lightsaber!?"

MJeff posted:

Here's a question.

In TROS, where does JJ's episode 8 end and where does his episode 9 begin?
I think the Sea Fight on the DeathStar2 would be the climax. Ren wouldn't destroy the sith macguffin though.

I think you mash up 50/50 with TLJ to get the sweet spot.
Skip this if you don't want pointless fanfic:
the Rebels are racing against the First Order to find an artifact that could turn the tide. Snoke has trouble reining in Kylo, who is fixated on finding Rey and turning her or defeating her. Rey trains with Luke, Luke burns the temple down to show her that they can't just retread old failures, Rey leaves and Yoda shows up for the bro moment. Holdo/Poe have an ideological fight, Holdo does the lightspeed whammy, and gives them time to escape to a bunker-world. The Salt Planet poo poo happens and Leia steps in with Jedi powers but is incapacitated, prompting Luke to feel the Force for the first time in years. Luke and Kylo fight. The base is destroyed as the rebels make it out with Rey's help.

Snoke berates Ren for seemingly destroying the artifact. He tries to force-magic him to death, discovers Ren is more powerful and Snoke is defeated. Leia recovers and shares a moment with Rey, where she reveals she was trained by Luke and will now help finish Rey's training. In my head, it ends where 9 starts: with Kylo getting the Sith Wayfinder, discovering Not-Korriban holding a Sith Weapon of Unlimited Power and realizing at the end it referred to Palpatine as Sheev's charred and emaciated figure descends on him before the credits roll.

FilthyImp fucked around with this message at 06:02 on Dec 22, 2019

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

Darko posted:

This movie had a thing about Force energy that seemed to be playing off of Luke's death. Use all your force energy, you die.

Leia used all her Force energy to contact Kylo in the fight, then died.

They did another callback to the prequel trilogy as well with the whole thing where Palpatine told Anakin the Sith can bring people back to life, and it turns out it was actually a Jedi power.

They should have had force ghosts around during that whole scene with ghost Windu saying "Told you motherfuckers I had him beat" and getting his ghost bux off the others while ghost Anakin loses his poo poo.

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.
https://twitter.com/RobertIger/status/1200104229018439681

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Miching Mallecho posted:

As kid I never noticed that Chewie didn’t have a medal. As an adult, I didn’t care that he didn’t get a medal.

So this medal stuff is like the wookiepedia people going to through the script and adding a “finally” note to that exchange.

I hate fans that will not budge on anything , you don’t have to like/love everything but things have to be let go and you gotta move on from dumb poo poo like that.

Wookiepedia fans know and have known that Chewie would never wear a medal for religious reasons. Wookkies do not wear any clothing or jewelry or other stuff accoutrements. A bandolier or utility belt are acceptable because they are for doing a work related task. Everything else is austentatious.

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

Just remembered they filmed a second holochess scene haha. Literally just recycling four year old fan service

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Wasn’t this the plot to that movie Fanboys?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T4-PWNqCsYs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

Oh yeah, baby. Frame your suffering as a masterpiece. Only one problem - no one's watching. It's boring, buddy, boring as death.
https://twitter.com/bdgrabinski/status/1208513563687448576?s=19