Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

I mean I can, but a giant megafarm would be more fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

QuarkJets posted:

You could just build a Ring World for that

Megastructures take forever to research+build and by that point in the game you really won't be hurting for any resources.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

I actually tried my hand at a Pacifist empire (well Pacifist + Materialist) for the first time recently and was really successful going for massive research buffs and managed to get my first megastructure built before the Khan even appeared. Since I wasn't invading anyone I started with the Strategic Coordination Center so that I could run a massive fleet, and then I built a ton of habitats and a couple of ring worlds plus the requisite dyson sphere. It helped that I took the option to start with some robot pops to guarantee fast growth, and I took Gaia worlds because I actually needed resources more than finished products (with habitats you have infinite slots for making various products like alloys and consumer goods, but you can only build 1 dyson sphere). Going tall went surprisingly well but it really hinged on combining multiple tech advantages

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Doing that is probably the best possible strategy for organics on Grand Admiral right now. You make 1, maybe 2 friends, section yourself off, and tech boom away. Ecumenopolis in place by 2290, Megastructures around 2300.

And Tyler Too! posted:

Megastructures take forever to research+build and by that point in the game you really won't be hurting for any resources.

I find it funny to retreat into a Fallen Empire like footprint though. Shame I can't declare Holy World's and wreck anyone who tries to settle them after.

PittTheElder fucked around with this message at 08:04 on Dec 19, 2019

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

PittTheElder posted:

Doing that is probably the best possible strategy for organics on Grand Admiral right now. You make 1, maybe 2 friends, section yourself off, and tech boom away. Ecumenopolis in place by 2290, Megastructures around 2300.

I find it funny to retreat into a Fallen Empire like footprint though. Shame I can't declare Holy World's and wreck anyone who tries to settle them after.

Yeah that really seems like it's an oversight for holy worlds, you should be able to mark uninhabited worlds too.

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

Sorta tangentially related to Stellaris but Slitherine has just announced Distant Worlds 2 coming 2020. https://www.twitch.tv/slitherinegroup they're talking about other stuff now, but a VOD should be available later.

It kinda looks 2.5D still, but oh God, a modern Distant Worlds :allears:

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Gort posted:

Has anyone had any luck with performance-improving mods in the latest PC release? There are a few out there I'd like to try, but I don't have a late-game save handy.

This got lost a page back. Anyone have any ideas? I'm wondering the same thing myself.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

canepazzo posted:

Sorta tangentially related to Stellaris but Slitherine has just announced Distant Worlds 2 coming 2020. https://www.twitch.tv/slitherinegroup they're talking about other stuff now, but a VOD should be available later.

It kinda looks 2.5D still, but oh God, a modern Distant Worlds :allears:

Hell yes

Distant Worlds 1 was a game I really wanted to like, but I managed to burn out trying to mod my own portraits and race backstory in (the way DW is doing this is something my dumb brain always managed to reject. It also didn't help that I had to start over a couple of times when new DLC changed how the game works too much and broke my "themes" as the game calls mods.)

If DW2 is less balls as gently caress to mod, it'll an instant buy!

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

canepazzo posted:

Sorta tangentially related to Stellaris but Slitherine has just announced Distant Worlds 2 coming 2020.

Friendship ended with Stellaris, now Distant Worlds 2 is my best friend

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

I always felt like I should have spent more time with DW than I really did, so seeing this news is super exciting!

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

Libluini posted:

Hell yes

Distant Worlds 1 was a game I really wanted to like, but I managed to burn out trying to mod my own portraits and race backstory in (the way DW is doing this is something my dumb brain always managed to reject. It also didn't help that I had to start over a couple of times when new DLC changed how the game works too much and broke my "themes" as the game calls mods.)

If DW2 is less balls as gently caress to mod, it'll an instant buy!

Last post on the subject but there's no Distant Worlds or generic 4x thread, sorry.

Here's some teasers and quite a bit of questions answered on their official forums, it looks very familiar :) Super hyped for this!

canepazzo fucked around with this message at 12:52 on Dec 20, 2019

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice
Distant Worlds suffered from the same sort of problem that I find in most Slitherine games. It's a great concept, but the UI is so janky I could never figure out what I was doing. That was the game that had hundreds of civilian ships that you didn't have any control over but they still felt the need to stick on the map, along with 40 different resources, none of which are in a centralized pool, right?

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Hey so if you win the game early because you're a driven exterminator who got some lucky early anomalies that snowballed into easily killing everyone everywhere, will the end game crisis still trigger?

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

It will, but there's very little chance it'll be challenging.

Epicurius posted:

Distant Worlds suffered from the same sort of problem that I find in most Slitherine games. It's a great concept, but the UI is so janky I could never figure out what I was doing. That was the game that had hundreds of civilian ships that you didn't have any control over but they still felt the need to stick on the map, along with 40 different resources, none of which are in a centralized pool, right?

It is. It also had weird poo poo like 'set planetary tax rate to zero to create surging reproductive rate'. But it was still fun as poo poo.

winterwerefox
Apr 23, 2010

The next movie better not make me shave anything :(

I really enjoyed Distant Worlds giving me the ability to have Military Fuel and Civilian Fuel systems. You research one fusion power system, slurp up some hydrogen, and put that on your civie ships. You then go up caslon power plants, and run that for your military. Helps ease your fuel crunches, and your military wont get stranded because super tankers came in and drained your military reserves. I did not like how there was little feedback on how effective any one design would be, because there was nothing to tell you if '10 units of 10 pt armor' was a lot, not enough, etc. Same with mining tech and research stations.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

winterwerefox posted:

I did not like how there was little feedback on how effective any one design would be, because there was nothing to tell you if '10 units of 10 pt armor' was a lot, not enough, etc. Same with mining tech and research stations.

Space Empires V solved this problem by having a combat simulator, allowing you to test designs against each other if you weren't sure about them.

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

PittTheElder posted:

It will, but there's very little chance it'll be challenging.

It is. It also had weird poo poo like 'set planetary tax rate to zero to create surging reproductive rate'. But it was still fun as poo poo.

I just think some of that sort of thing is really something that calls for abstraction. I dont know that, as galactic emperor, I want to have to worry about scheduling shipments of raw materials to a specific appliance manufacturer on Rigel VI or decide about the precise fuel intermix my subjects have in their space cars.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Epicurius posted:

I just think some of that sort of thing is really something that calls for abstraction. I dont know that, as galactic emperor, I want to have to worry about scheduling shipments of raw materials to a specific appliance manufacturer on Rigel VI or decide about the precise fuel intermix my subjects have in their space cars.

That's one thing Aurora gets the groggiest and, IMHO, least fun ---- the amount of hand-management of logistics quickly gets unmanageable.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, Aurora with working automation would be the best 4x ever made.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Libluini posted:

Space Empires V solved this problem by having a combat simulator, allowing you to test designs against each other if you weren't sure about them.

Oh god I would kill for a Space Empires game with modern QOL stuff. SEV is so close to being a perfect game but the UI is worthless and theres just enough jank to go past charming into annoying :negative:

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Do biotrophies normally need food? I'm assuming yes but this is my first rogue servitor game and I happened to pick some nice rock people for my starting biotrophies, resulting in a happy outcome of not needing to grow any food. This seems like a good combination

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

Remove system view.

Battles give option of autoresolve OR battlefleet gothic 2 mode where you control everything

Also mega structures as a mid game goal instead of end game goal.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

appropriatemetaphor posted:

Remove system view.

Battles give option of autoresolve OR battlefleet gothic 2 mode where you control everything

keep battles how they are just make the ship ai options work better

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

No.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Epicurius posted:

I don't remember ever really having to worry about this though, DWs automation dealt with all that pretty nicely I think. The civilian industry will sort out the civilian stuff, while for military I think you could just tell it what resources you wanted and stuff would show up. Fuel depots being the big ones.

QuarkJets posted:

Do biotrophies normally need food? I'm assuming yes but this is my first rogue servitor game and I happened to pick some nice rock people for my starting biotrophies, resulting in a happy outcome of not needing to grow any food. This seems like a good combination

They need to eat yeah. So your rock people will eat minerals, and organics will need food.

PittTheElder fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Dec 22, 2019

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

Do something to make carrières good would be nice. Feel like every game that has carriers has poo poo carriers

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Do something to make carrières good would be nice. Feel like every game that has carriers has poo poo carriers

Space Empires V falls out of the role, again. Fighters in SEV are so OP, carriers are definitely one of the best things you can build.

Master of Orion III also goes overboard with carriers, because the devs thought of rendering ammunition usage for missiles but fighters are just respawned by their ships indefinitely. So every 2-3 minutes, carriers launch their entire complement, slowly overwhelming every enemy who didn't thought to bring carriers.

It's a bit nuts, to be honest. Even SEV-carriers are better balanced, as the game at least demands you build, supply and repair every single fighter you want to bring. MO3 only wants you to pay for the fighters upfront one-time when building the carrier, then every additional fighter that ship launches is basically created by space magic.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Remove system view.

gently caress no. I just gave battlefleet gothic a shot on microsoft's PC xbox thing(I always forget the name of that subscription service - i got it for free). I really wanted to like it, but somehow the space battles just felt tedious. I can't imagine doing that every time I had a patrol fleet run into three pirates or a space cow.

You're absolutely right about mega structures though. Right now they come into play so late that by the time you get them you're well into the victory lap phase of things.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

The problem is that nobody has ever managed to make a system where carriers were useful and yet not way better than everything else.

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

Cyrano4747 posted:

gently caress no. I just gave battlefleet gothic a shot on microsoft's PC xbox thing(I always forget the name of that subscription service - i got it for free). I really wanted to like it, but somehow the space battles just felt tedious. I can't imagine doing that every time I had a patrol fleet run into three pirates or a space cow.

You're absolutely right about mega structures though. Right now they come into play so late that by the time you get them you're well into the victory lap phase of things.

I guess they can get repetitive but slo-mo ramming or broadsiding dudes looks dope

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Its almost like we're a Bureaucracy, in space!

I set sail for the Planet of Lab Requisitions!!

OddObserver posted:

That's one thing Aurora gets the groggiest and, IMHO, least fun ---- the amount of hand-management of logistics quickly gets unmanageable.

*Ahem*

Aurora is not a game.

It's one dude attempting to make a campaign tracker for his fave boardgame-thing (Starfire) and it spiralling way out of control.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Remove system view.

Remove ship customization and replace it with (better) fleet customization. No matter what you do, your ships are always going to fall under the same archetypes (screens, artillery, carriers, etc). So instead you should only have to decide on your fleet composition.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

The fleet manager seems kind of buggy right now

In my new game I somehow managed to remove all of the units in a fleet without disbanding them, causing two interesting things. The less interesting one was that A) that fleet can no longer be reinforced and doesn't appear in the fleet manager at all. The more interesting thing is that B) moving any of those original ships to a different fleet causes that new fleet to disappear from the fleet manager, too, which is only fixable by removing the offending ships. Eventually I resorted to just disbanding those problematic ships.

In my previous game I had a fleet at 163/200 command limit. My theory is that I deleted those shipyards while they were responsible for upgrading that fleet, causing things to get into a buggy state? So I had a fleet that was permanently at -37 strength, but I was about to win anyway so it didn't matter.

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Is it I that is insane... or the rest of the world?

QuarkJets posted:

The fleet manager seems kind of buggy right now

In my new game I somehow managed to remove all of the units in a fleet without disbanding them, causing two interesting things. The less interesting one was that A) that fleet can no longer be reinforced and doesn't appear in the fleet manager at all. The more interesting thing is that B) moving any of those original ships to a different fleet causes that new fleet to disappear from the fleet manager, too, which is only fixable by removing the offending ships. Eventually I resorted to just disbanding those problematic ships.

In my previous game I had a fleet at 163/200 command limit. My theory is that I deleted those shipyards while they were responsible for upgrading that fleet, causing things to get into a buggy state? So I had a fleet that was permanently at -37 strength, but I was about to win anyway so it didn't matter.

Oh it gets so much worse than that. It'll also create phantom fleets sometimes, that you have to manually delete. Or try to reinforce maxed out fleets, which causes new 1 ship fleets to be created. Or create new fleets for each singular ship that stupidly decided to go into enemy territory while reinforcing.

And that's before federation fleets get involved.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

PittTheElder posted:

The problem is that nobody has ever managed to make a system where carriers were useful and yet not way better than everything else.
SotS1? I'm comfortable with being laughed at for wrong opinions but they seemed pretty decent.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Stux posted:

keep battles how they are just make the ship ai options work better
It's this

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Even if the AI was perfect I'd still find the existing ship designer and the existing combat really unsuited to each other.

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

Hoi4

Close to land, carriers suck rear end. Open ocean, they rule.

Now for land substitute planets.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Splicer posted:

Even if the AI was perfect I'd still find the existing ship designer and the existing combat really unsuited to each other.
Oh, very true, but I'm try to not ask for too much here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Such comfortable, magical pants!
Lipstick Apathy
Bring back Ascendancy's ship designer, cowards!