Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

Nenonen posted:

How the hell do you put out a fire on a nuclear submarine?? Can you fill it with CO2? Anyway I love that USS Miami's motto was "First to fire. Twice to fire." The civilian contractor set two fires...

edit: what a stupid question, I already own an accurate simulation of this

There are 2 ways. The first and recommended way is quickly. The other way is the whole sub burns and the problem is solved.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

solarNativity
Nov 11, 2012

Korean Boomhauer posted:

Found this at work today:

Bonus:

I'm whipping vans for A(large corporation) right now and this isn't even the worst I've seen today, but I can't take pictures. It's hard to find a place to put a package where it won't potentially be tinder.

XTimmy
Nov 28, 2007
I am Jacks self hatred

The second photo is taken just above the middle yellow diamond on this map, that's less than 100km from Sydney, these fires started more than a month ago, but weren't supposed to begin till early January. Country hosed, so what.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
It still astounds me that you guys have a fire season.

Dr.Smasher
Nov 27, 2002

Cyberpunk 1987

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

It still astounds me that you guys have a fire season.

With everything on fire now, they won't have one next year.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Mistle posted:

As for vehicles in the U.S., federal rules I think list two possible things may "fall from a moving vehicle":water and chicken feathers. Water is still a thing, but chicken feathers grandfathered in from the way back days when farmers drove birds to market.

:confused: How do they get there now, if they aren't driven there in trucks anymore? Does Scotty beam them up from the farms?

spookykid
Apr 28, 2006

jesus christ how many one footed coworkers does that guy have? It took me until like 2 minutes in to realize he is changing the start, stop, pitch, and load on the wood all by sound.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

'Driving' as in herding them, like a cattle drive. https://www.mcall.com/opinion/mc-opi-turkey-drives-march-market-history-20181115-story.html

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

I would rather go to run at Pamplonas.

Kingo Ligma
Aug 24, 2019

Fuck yeah cinema is finally dead

Nenonen posted:

I would rather go to run at Pamplonas.

Sounds like a load of cock and bull to me

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Man climbs into pottery kiln, entire workshop burns to the ground

small ghost
Jan 30, 2013

Dear god, that was not what I was expecting from that link. That must have been quite an experience.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

https://news.yahoo.com/defective-soda-machine-killed-two-mcdonalds-workers-peru-102255454.html

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

This Machine Kills Fastfoodists

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

uvar posted:

I don't know who's in the right here, but Tim might be grounded:
https://twitter.com/vbagate/status/1208487685196787712

Platystemon posted:

lol if you think they’ll enforce that

Jerry Wagner is still flying.

NPS is rather aggressive about enforcing their “no drones” rule, at least in the places I’ve known (Florida and NC). The main way our rangers catch people doing stupid poo poo is via fb and instagram, I imagine the other parks aren’t that different :v:

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

quote:

A mysterious greenish liquid that forced lane closures after it seeped onto a Michigan interstate Friday allegedly came from a closed electroplating business whose owner is currently serving a year in federal prison for operating an unlicensed hazardous waste storage facility.

By Saturday, it was discovered that the mysterious liquid was the chemical hexavalent chromium and was leaking from a local business, Michigan State Police said on Twitter.

The chemical was leaking from the basement of the local business, down into the ground and went into a drain that emptied out onto eastbound I-696, police tweeted.

The owner of the business, Gary Sayers, pleaded guilty in April to operating an unlicensed waste storage facility and was sentenced to one year in federal prison, according to the outlet.

This is how a superfund site is born. Some context, this is the stuff they made the movie Erin Brockovich about. It's doubtful he was storing dilute solution, so it's likely inside of his building (and in the ground water table) is contaminated with the full strength stuff.

More photos of the actual operation.

That's the "sludge" drying in the basement. Note the industrial strength box fan assisting the process. Sludge is likely a mixture of lead chromate, lead, hex chrome, and god knows what else they put into the tanks.

The lab.

The plating operation itself. Note the steam rising up from one of the tanks. This place was operating when these photos were taken.

Yes, the center tank says cyanide. Somewhere buried in all those chemicals is probably leaking drums of potassium cyanide.

Finally we tour the open air chemical storage area.

I'm not sure how a business can do this. Where I work (in Michigan) we have a few thousand gallons of similar rather nasty chemicals and OSHA, EGLE, and the EPA visits at least once a year.

edit : From the court case :

quote:

The judge decided to the prison sentence instead of probation after Sayers made a comment in court about how he was bitter over government regulations and trade issues that hurt his business.

Prosecutors told the judge it took nearly $1.5 million of taxpayers money and more than a year to clean up the hazardous mess.

Officials said what's even more disturbing is the Michigan Department of Environmental Quality knew about violations for years and allowed the business to remain open.

Yooper fucked around with this message at 14:25 on Dec 22, 2019

uvar
Jul 25, 2011

Avoid breathing
radioactive dust.
College Slice
:smiliewheretheguywalksthroughthedoorandimmediatelydies:

In case anyone else was wondering what he was doing with them:

quote:

The crime related to Sayers’s operation of EPS [Electro-Plating Services, Inc.], which used chemicals such as cyanide, chromium, nickel, chloride, trichloroethylene, and various acids and bases, as part of the plating process. After these chemicals no longer served their intended purpose, they became hazardous wastes, which required handling in compliance with the Resource Conservation and Recovery Act. Rather than having EPS’s hazardous wastes legally transported to a licensed hazardous waste facility, Sayers stored the hazardous waste in numerous drums and other containers, including a pit dug into the ground in the lower level of the EPS building in Madison Heights. For years, Sayers stonewalled state efforts to get him to legally deal the hazardous wastes. Ultimately, the EPA’s Superfund program spent $1,449,963.94 to clean up and dispose of the hazardous wastes.
https://www.justice.gov/opa/pr/michigan-company-and-its-owner-sentenced-illegally-storing-hazardous-waste

quote:

The cleanup was completed in January 2018.
:thunk:

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

The FIRST cleanup was half-assed completed in Jan 2018, fixed it for them

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
The real tragedy about the NSW fires is the PM had to cut his trip to Hawaii short which was unfair to his kids because they were really looking forward to spending the week there!

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost

the car peed itself in terror

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

You’re not supposed to drive buzzed! :mad:

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Live-action Spirited Away looking spectacular

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

:eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop:
Fun Shoe

Mistle posted:

Not like those "stay back 200 feet not responsible for broken windshields" signs on the back of a truck that you'd need to be about 100 feet away to read, and that's when the sign is clean and legible and not covered in dirt or mud.

Bullshit, they all say "not responsible for road objects" because they're trying to pass it off like they didn't have an unsecured load, it just got kicked up from the road see? Yeah, that's the ticket!

hannibal
Jul 27, 2001

[img-planes]

Icon Of Sin posted:

The FIRST cleanup was half-assed completed in Jan 2018, fixed it for them

Yeah, I guess they’ll be going back in and tearing the place apart to remediate. My spouse is a geologist and works for a cleanup firm (mostly Navy bases, which as you can imagine are crazy contaminated) and hexachrome is one of the worst things she has had to deal with. As you can see it gives the water a nice Mountain Dew look.

Resting Lich Face
Feb 21, 2019

This case of an intraperitoneal zucchini is unusual, and does raise questions as to how hard one has to push a blunt vegetable to perforate the rectum.
That electroplating facility sure is something.:stare:

Kerosene19
May 7, 2007

Yooper posted:

owner is currently serving a year in federal prison

Willful disregard.... should be at least 10.

Resting Lich Face
Feb 21, 2019

This case of an intraperitoneal zucchini is unusual, and does raise questions as to how hard one has to push a blunt vegetable to perforate the rectum.

Kerosene19 posted:

Willful disregard.... should be at least 10.

Punishing business for flagrant disregard of laws is bad for business.

:patriot:

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

quote:

The company confirmed the soda machine would not be used in future.

“my ‘i will not electrocute my employees with known faulty equipment’ t-shirt is raising a lot of questions already answered by the shirt”

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.

Resting Lich Face posted:

Punishing business for flagrant disregard of laws is bad for business.

:patriot:

Remember when this guy was the bad guy?

That aged worse than the scenes where the middle-aged Ghostbuster professors were trying to hit on their freshmen students

redgubbinz
May 1, 2007

We don't go to Ravenholm anymore.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Cyrano4747 posted:

What am I looking at here?

I mean, an exploded car, but what did that?

"I can't wait for Hydrogen fuel cells!"

https://twitter.com/communalsauce/status/1208715752074727424?s=20

Fumble
Sep 4, 2006

About 22 years ago, my brother drove a brand new blade like that into a block of stone too fast and it went off like a machine gun in the workshop. you could see teeth embedded in the ceiling girders.
its amazing no one was killed there.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

frodnonnag
Aug 13, 2007

Be poo poo, get poo poo?

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!

Fumble posted:

About 22 years ago, my brother drove a brand new blade like that into a block of stone too fast and it went off like a machine gun in the workshop. you could see teeth embedded in the ceiling girders.
its amazing no one was killed there.

Given the thread that we're in, it took a bit to realize you didn't mean human teeth

minato
Jun 7, 2004

cutty cain't hang, say 7-up.
Taco Defender

Reminds me of the guy who ended up being the sole survivor of a volcanic eruption because he was a prisoner:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ludger_Sylbaris

quote:

Sylbaris was ordered to be put into solitary confinement and locked in a single-cell, bomb-proof magazine with stone walls that was built partially underground. The cell did not have windows and was ventilated only through a narrow grating in the door facing away from the volcano. His prison was the most sheltered building in the city, and it was this fact that saved his life. The cell in which he survived still stands today.

The devastated area by the pyroclastic flow covered about 21 km2 (8.1 sq mi), with the city of Saint-Pierre taking its full brunt. The cloud consisted of superheated gases and fine debris, with searing temperatures of over 1,000 °C (1,830 °F). All of the city's infrastructure was flattened, and almost the entire population burned or suffocated.

According to his account, at about breakfast time on the day of the eruption, it grew very dark. Hot air mixed with fine ashes entered his cell through the door grating, despite his efforts in urinating on his clothing and stuffing it in the door. The heat lasted only a short moment, enough to cause deep burns on Sylbaris' hands, arms, legs, and back, but his clothes did not ignite, and he avoided breathing the searing hot air.

Pissed Ape Sexist
Apr 19, 2008

frodnonnag posted:

Be poo poo, get poo poo?

No, I'm sure you've heard the old saying, "If you drive by and large like a demented gently caress, you'll get hit by a front-discharge cement truck"

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari

Pissed Ape Sexist posted:

No, I'm sure you've heard the old saying, "If you drive by and large like a demented gently caress, you'll get hit by a front-discharge cement truck"

What in the gently caress... I've never seen anything like this in my life. I thought all cement trucks were rear discharge???

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pissed Ape Sexist
Apr 19, 2008

Wirth1000 posted:

What in the gently caress... I've never seen anything like this in my life. I thought all cement trucks were rear discharge???

They used to be, but FD trucks are the new(er) poo poo. They're a bit more expensive but can get into place faster since you can just drive directly up to the dump location without guidance and they have chutes that can be positioned by the driver via hydraulic controls. This makes it more efficient in both loads-per-day gained and by elimination of the need for a 'chute man' (since the driver can do the whole job via line-of-sight).