Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

somekindofguy posted:

What can I say but that your faves and mine are problematic, and will only disappoint you in the end. Just accept it and move on knowing everyone will betray you in some way.

cool, then quit posting in the thread for talking about your faves

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

somekindofguy posted:

What can I say but that your faves and mine are problematic, and will only disappoint you in the end. Just accept it and move on knowing everyone will betray you in some way.

every single one of your posts in this thread is explicitly about channel awesome drama and it's really sad

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008
The best is knowing your fave is problematic, and enjoying their content regardless.

And the best fantasy setting is Acts of Caine because I hate traditional fantasy.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway

SpiritualDeath posted:

I'm always off the computer when people are posting controversial tweets only to delete them, and I searched a little only to find nothing, so I'm still not even clear on what was the bad thing Todd did.

does a podcast with someone who force kissed someone once

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

somekindofguy posted:

Have you considered, making a good post, in this thread

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
I love that I had an extended argument about a D-Tier D&D campaign setting in this thread without any probation and then some rando came screeching in at the end about something else and ate a probe.

Really, I'm serious here, this thread is great.

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Nuns with Guns posted:

I love that I had an extended argument about a D-Tier D&D campaign setting in this thread without any probation and then some rando came screeching in at the end about something else and ate a probe.

Really, I'm serious here, this thread is great.

tbh one more weird post getting mad about someone criticising some dumb D&D thing is gonna be a probe

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Junpei Hyde posted:

tbh one more weird post getting mad about someone criticising some dumb D&D thing is gonna be a probe

Can I get mad Dan is too much of a coward to air his D&D opinions to the mercy of the algorithm? (I don't blame anyone, tabletop games have to be the driest things to try selling to a new audience short of like curling or one of those Winter Olympic sports only the Nordic countries care about.)

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Nuns with Guns posted:

Can I get mad Dan is too much of a coward to air his D&D opinions to the mercy of the algorithm? (I don't blame anyone, tabletop games have to be the driest things to try selling to a new audience short of like curling or one of those Winter Olympic sports only the Nordic countries care about.)

only if you defeat him in single combat

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

I rewatched Last Jedi tonight and its even better than I remember it being
can't wait to see RoS tomorrow and be horribly disappointed and frustrated lol

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
So my brain hurts from trying to figure out what's going on in the past few pages. I just know that Jesus is about to call a lot of you a DIIIIIIICK

FoldableHuman
Mar 26, 2017

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

this is the only D&D take I need

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

Archer666 posted:

The best is knowing your fave is problematic, and enjoying their content regardless.

:yeah:

Then again, that becomes a problem is your fave is [REDACTED] or [REDACTED] or even [REDACTED], because if you want to share like you like them, people will chew you out for saying so. Granted, you can still enjoy their content; you just have to do so in private.

Of course, if you do, then there are those uncomfortable situations when said fave comes up into conversation, and you not sure whether to respond or not, out of fear of revealing too much, and gaining ire because of it. Add in to that the paranoia that comes with websites like YouTube and Twitter, which track the people you follow. That prompts the notion that somebody can look over your shoulder for possible signs that you're a fan of someone like [REDACTED], or that you follow someone who is tangentially related to somebody like [REDACTED], and might confront you about it.

But otherwise, yeah.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I saw rise of Skywalker and I said "gently caress it" three sentences into the title crawl. Parts of this movie are genuinely great. A lot of it is bad. Several of those bad parts are incredibly fun because Sheev and Lando are just reveling in how stupid things get.

The Mandalorian succeeds because it's not trying to hard.
The Rise of Skywalker isn't trying at all and has resigned itself to entertaining schlock.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 07:49 on Dec 22, 2019

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Arcsquad12 posted:

I saw rise of Skywalker and I said "gently caress it" three sentences into the title crawl. Parts of this movie are genuinely great. A lot of it is bad. Several of those bad parts are incredibly fun because Sheev and Lando are just reveling in how stupid things get.

The Mandalorian succeeds because it's not trying to hard.
The Rise of Skywalker isn't trying at all and has resigned itself to entertaining schlock.

What did you think of the Leia scenes with the B-Cast trying to act around her context-free dialogue?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Neddy Seagoon posted:

What did you think of the Leia scenes with the B-Cast trying to act around her context-free dialogue?

It is really rough and sounds like a cross between the south park episode where Chef "returns" and an episode of Manslayer's Gamer Poop videos. She says so little of direct substance because there is just nothing to work with.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Rise of Skywalker is my favourite of the Sequels because it'S the worst. It's so entertaingly stupid.

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains
Thats better than being annoyingly stupid or boringly stupid.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

DeafNote posted:

Thats better than being annoyingly stupid or boringly stupid.

Oh no, it gets annoyingly stupid at times. Painfully so even.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
But it's never boring. The movie switches gears so fast you get whiplash.

Kamrat
Nov 27, 2012

Thanks for playing Alone in the dark 2.

Now please fuck off
Edit: nvm

Ash Crimson
Apr 4, 2010
Just imagine a strong, dominant sheev palatine sitting on your face, can you even imagine, can you even imagine that

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

Max Wilco posted:

:yeah:

Then again, that becomes a problem is your fave is [REDACTED] or [REDACTED] or even [REDACTED], because if you want to share like you like them, people will chew you out for saying so. Granted, you can still enjoy their content; you just have to do so in private.

Of course, if you do, then there are those uncomfortable situations when said fave comes up into conversation, and you not sure whether to respond or not, out of fear of revealing too much, and gaining ire because of it. Add in to that the paranoia that comes with websites like YouTube and Twitter, which track the people you follow. That prompts the notion that somebody can look over your shoulder for possible signs that you're a fan of someone like [REDACTED], or that you follow someone who is tangentially related to somebody like [REDACTED], and might confront you about it.

But otherwise, yeah.

I mean I don’t know who you’re talking about but this thread will mostly only chew you out for knowingly posting nazis or nazi sympathizers. The whole thing “enjoy creators despite their flaws” kinda goes out the window then

Clerical Terrors
Apr 24, 2016

I'm so tired, I'm so very tired
I feel like most people who keep on to their problematic faves have legit reasons to like the work, or specific elements of it, but tend to get tired of having to consider the broader implications of supporting the creators. Like how a lot of people are aware of sweatshop labour but still buy clothes at H&M because caring all the time is depressing and unrewarding.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Augus posted:

I rewatched Last Jedi tonight and its even better than I remember it being
can't wait to see RoS tomorrow and be horribly disappointed and frustrated lol

They're both bad but Rise of Skywalker is on a whole nother level. I'd say it's worse than the prequels but it might win by a hair since the effects don't look like poo poo. Also Babu Frik.

MonsieurChoc posted:

Rise of Skywalker is my favourite of the Sequels because it'S the worst. It's so entertaingly stupid.

I found it too stupid to be enjoyable. I was taken out of the movie five minutes in thinking gently caress me I got two and a half hours of this.

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

Clerical Terrors posted:

I feel like most people who keep on to their problematic faves have legit reasons to like the work, or specific elements of it, but tend to get tired of having to consider the broader implications of supporting the creators. Like how a lot of people are aware of sweatshop labour but still buy clothes at H&M because caring all the time is depressing and unrewarding.
its a decision everyone is making with all the art they like all the time and its insane theatrics to pretend like youve got it right and everyone else is hosed

Clerical Terrors
Apr 24, 2016

Farm Frenzy posted:

its a decision everyone is making with all the art they like all the time and its insane theatrics to pretend like youve got it right and everyone else is hosed
:hmmyes:

Or you just go all the way and pretend you don't like anything and everyone else is wrong for liking things.

Because that's definitely an original and not at all lazily cynical thing to do.

Clerical Terrors fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Dec 22, 2019

watho
Aug 2, 2013

I learned just one thing when I was young
Pretend that you hate anything you love

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

At one point I genuinely thought that the dragons were somebody who put in a fan edit over the actual movie.

Obi-Wan voice: "I was wrong."

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Groovelord Neato posted:

I found it too stupid to be enjoyable. I was taken out of the movie five minutes in thinking gently caress me I got two and a half hours of this.

My favourite part of stupidity is the very end where; The Lars Farmstead is somehow completely intact, yet abandoned, and not a burned-out ruin like it was when they left it in A New Hope. I'm sure a planet like Tatooine would surely leave a farmstead full of working tech un-ransacked by scavengers and Jawas over 30+ years.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

While Brad The Person has come out with some real crappy things the past year or two or however long it's been now, I still enjoy Brad The Cinema Snob. :smith:

Dean of Swing
Feb 22, 2012
Yada Yadda Yada

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-9GqlvgEmW8

Here is a guy who likes dinosaurs talking about an extinct genre of toy videos.

CmdrKing
Oct 14, 2012

Maybe if I called it 'Interpretive Stabbing'...
The larger secret of YouTube creators is, they are lovely people in all the same ways and if anything less often than the people you meet in any mixed crowd. You just are a lot more likely to accidentally see their inner life.

Ironically the take away tends to be opposite land from physical space: if someone’s kinda an rear end in a top hat but they can keep it together and put out good, thoughtful work, it’s fairly harmless to keep watching, whereas if someone is mostly nice to you in person but did some nasty stuff when they were younger and never completely grew past it you’ll probably never notice.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

watho posted:

I mean I don’t know who you’re talking about but this thread will mostly only chew you out for knowingly posting nazis or nazi sympathizers. The whole thing “enjoy creators despite their flaws” kinda goes out the window then

Yardbomb posted:

While Brad The Person has come out with some real crappy things the past year or two or however long it's been now, I still enjoy Brad The Cinema Snob. :smith:

Brad Jones is who I had in mind while writing that post, and since the thread denounced him, I've not really watched his stuff, despite the fact that I watched listened to the Midnight Screening videos all the time when playing games. Those videos and the Cinema Snob are also a good insight into a lot of obscure or forgotten films, like At Long Last Love or Inchon.

But hey, if you still enjoy watching Brad's stuff, Yardbomb, then I don't feel as bad about going back and watching it again.

Another person I could have put down is ContraPoints, and while I never watched Contra (and still don't), I imagine her stuff is verboten now after the whole to-do from a couple months back.

Whenever people say, 'oh, it's okay to like problematic person or thing' (I'm including media in this as well), I raise and eyebrow and ask, "are you sure about that?", because I find that statement to ring really hollow.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
jesus, Maximilian Dood and his wife nearly got killed by a stupid dipshit truck driver on the highway, he just moved right over into their lane and crushed their car against the barrier.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UB27kIyUjbA&hd=1

I think Max is wayyyyy too forgiving of that guy, the two of them are only fine through both sheer luck and his wife's insanely quick thinking, and the guy finally realizing he was crushing a car against a wall. If he hadn't they'd be toast. Truck drivers operating huge moving trucks like that are the ones who need to be THE MOST responsible and careful, and he just did not make sure the lane was clear at all. gently caress that guy.

edit: the video is kinda funny because he's trying to lay all this out in a livestream and people are just pouring hundreds of dollars towards him constantly despite him saying they don't want people to do that :v:

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Dec 22, 2019

watho
Aug 2, 2013

Like I’ve said before, I love some things that Max Landis was involved with despite hating him something fierce. I can never watch death and return of superman or wrestling isn’t wrestling again tho. We all have some sort of line and it’s different for us all

Clerical Terrors
Apr 24, 2016

watho posted:

Like I’ve said before, I love some things that Max Landis was involved with despite hating him something fierce. I can never watch death and return of superman or wrestling isn’t wrestling again tho. We all have some sort of line and it’s different for us all

Same, I loved Death and Return of Superman but I can't really watch Landis throughout that video without wanting to just shut it off.

CmdrKing
Oct 14, 2012

Maybe if I called it 'Interpretive Stabbing'...

Max Wilco posted:

Another person I could have put down is ContraPoints, and while I never watched Contra (and still don't), I imagine her stuff is verboten now after the whole to-do from a couple mohs back.

Whenever people say, 'oh, it's okay to like problematic person or thing' (I'm including media in this as well), I raise and eyebrow and ask, "are you sure about that?", because I find that statement to ring really hollow.

ContraPoints has an added factor to all that I think: the “problematic” elements are her trans politics, and her primary content is politics and culture with heavy emphasis on how these things impact trans people. The thing she’s lovely about IS her Content. Hell, something like half of ContraPoints videos in the past year were trying to walk back a video from 2018 that basically said “gender presentation and passing are the defining elements of being trans”.
You couldn’t really watch her stuff for the non-problematic elements because well... that was her stuff most of the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

watho
Aug 2, 2013

Yeah the problem with contra is that she’s a political youtuber with bad politics