Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

FilthyImp posted:

The enormous change that the OG Star Wars toys brought to the landscape is what is remembered. Like did anyone really care for the Power of the Force issues in the 90s?
Now it's pretty much "I can get a lightsaber!?"

I think the Sea Fight on the DeathStar2 would be the climax. Ren wouldn't destroy the sith macguffin though.

I think you mash up 50/50 with TLJ to get the sweet spot.
Skip this if you don't want pointless fanfic:
the Rebels are racing against the First Order to find an artifact that could turn the tide. Snoke has trouble reining in Kylo, who is fixated on finding Rey and turning her or defeating her. Rey trains with Luke, Luke burns the temple down to show her that they can't just retread old failures, Rey leaves and Yoda shows up for the bro moment. Holdo/Poe have an ideological fight, Holdo does the lightspeed whammy, and gives them time to escape to a bunker-world. The Salt Planet poo poo happens and Leia steps in with Jedi powers but is incapacitated, prompting Luke to feel the Force for the first time in years. Luke and Kylo fight. The base is destroyed as the rebels make it out with Rey's help.

Snoke berates Ren for seemingly destroying the artifact. He tries to force-magic him to death, discovers Ren is more powerful and Snoke is defeated. Leia recovers and shares a moment with Rey, where she reveals she was trained by Luke and will now help finish Rey's training. In my head, it ends where 9 starts: with Kylo getting the Sith Wayfinder, discovering Not-Korriban holding a Sith Weapon of Unlimited Power and realizing at the end it referred to Palpatine as Sheev's charred and emaciated figure descends on him before the credits roll.

Because I like pointless fanfic, what's the 50/50 mashup of TRoS (in which Johnson and Abrams co-direct/write without killing each other)? Bonus points if Werner Herzog is somehow involved.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

ruddiger posted:

Wasn’t this the plot to that movie Fanboys?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T4-PWNqCsYs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t7ZzsBwd3rY
Good movie.

poo poo star wars fans?!

Objurium
Aug 8, 2009

I probably have nothing new or exciting to add but, I watched TROS while considerably drunk last night. This was a recipe for success when I saw TLJ, so I was hoping to repeat a bit of that magic.

Holy gently caress is this movie even harder to follow while inebriated. 30 minutes in and it felt like I was watching a SW themed Neil Breen film :psyduck:

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

This was... not very good. It’s boring and the stakes are pointless. Driver tears it up but gently caress, he’s the only good thing in this movie.

Thank god for The Mandalorian or Star Wars would be dead after this poo poo.

TIN0
Oct 17, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
So exactly what is the lesson/moral tail this trilogy is about? That you can be anyone you want to be as long as you have the most powerful gene in the universe?

Marin Karin
Jul 29, 2011

What are you, compared to my magnificence?
This movie is so amazing in its badness that it did what I previously thought impossible: it made me NOT enjoy Lando. He is so weird and creepy in that final scene that they very clearly forgot to cut. He’s either hitting on that woman whose mother would still be too young for him, or he’s going to tell the only black woman in the franchise he’s her father. Either choice is terrible. I hate this movie more with each passing second.

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

Oh yeah, baby. Frame your suffering as a masterpiece. Only one problem - no one's watching. It's boring, buddy, boring as death.
https://twitter.com/gwenpool_ebooks/status/1208580494566277120?s=19

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

My thoughts after thinking about it:

The Mcguffin plot chase of the dagger and the Wayfinder Holocron thing are stupid and pointless, and it is clear it is just for artificial stakes, which Abrams is infamous for, but the movie moves at a good pace. The lightsaber fights were actually pretty okay

You need to shut your brain off when it comes to anything about the super fleet. I laughed at the stupid planet cannons on all the Destroyers

I actually like the idea of Rey being some kind of redemption for her family name, though it's executed rather sloppily. It would have been nice to know which parent is Palps kid though and sacrificed themselves to protect her. (Palps surviving also invalidates Anakin's entire loving purpose) I think Rey is fine as a character overall, but she needed way more characterization in TLJ.

The movie had some nice stuff of the main cast actually interacting with each other. Finn should have confessed his love for Rey at the end though. His force sensitivity should have had him become a jedi. I think this is the most I have liked Ben/Kylo since the beginning of this trilogy. Force healing is a stupid plot device

The dead Death Star was a neat set piece. Who the hell were the Palp cloak guys? Were they Sith worshippers?

All in all it's like 6/10. It's eh. I was entertained throughout, but you have to shut your brain off

TulliusCicero fucked around with this message at 08:45 on Dec 22, 2019

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

I did not find this hard to follow and everyone pretending it’s Upstream Colour or something confuses me. The movie is about as good as it’s two siblings and a fine end cap for the trilogy. Would like something fresher next. Shame they wasted a stellar cast for all of these. Next!

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
It's hilarious that Rey buried Anakin and Leia's saber's on Tatooine. Anakin despised the place that only holds bad memories for him and Leia wasn't born there and had no attachment to it.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

The Trilogy would have benefited from a unified narrative arc from the beginning. If this is the story of the Fall of the House of Skywalker and the return of Palpatine, we should have been clued into that from the beginning.

It's clear nobody knew where they were going till now

TulliusCicero fucked around with this message at 08:59 on Dec 22, 2019

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

I liked the part where Chewie didn't do anything

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Ferrinus posted:

Man, it’s kinda hosed up how Leia kills herself purely to kill her son. She’s like, ah, I’ve had a clairvoyant flash that Kylo is engaged in a life or death duel. This is the perfect time to spend all my HP in order to telepathically distract him and thereby break his guard.

My friend pointed out that Kylo's big change of heart conversation was probably meant to be with force ghost Leia, not memory of Han, and there was probably more context instead of Leia just walking away and Maz explaining she's gonna kill herself. Which makes sense, but they should have rewritten that whole bit instead of just swapping out Leia for part of it.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

https://twitter.com/wyattyhalpert/status/1208598256151756806

I finished reading this just now, and it's a really well written think-piece on the issues with making Rey a Palpatine that I figure some of you might also be interested in reading.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

TIN0 posted:

So exactly what is the lesson/moral tail this trilogy is about? That you can be anyone you want to be as long as you have the most powerful gene in the universe?

No, it's that effort is pointless and time ruins all things. The 'victory' at the end of this movie is exactly the same as the victory at the end of RotJ, which we know accomplished nothing. Further, even though the heroes of the original trilogy were canonically losers and morons who built nothing of value the new crew are even worse, meaning the state of cold war before fascists tear them down will be even shorter.

Unoriginal Name
Aug 1, 2006

by sebmojo
War. War never changes.

Especially Star Wars, god drat is that poo poo repetitive.

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
:discourse:

teagone posted:

https://twitter.com/wyattyhalpert/status/1208598256151756806

I finished reading this just now, and it's a really well written think-piece on the issues with making Rey a Palpatine that I figure some of you might also be interested in reading.

this person is just upset that the saga didn't align with their stupid headcanon lmao

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Mulva posted:

No, it's that effort is pointless and time ruins all things. The 'victory' at the end of this movie is exactly the same as the victory at the end of RotJ, which we know accomplished nothing. Further, even though the heroes of the original trilogy were canonically losers and morons who built nothing of value the new crew are even worse, meaning the state of cold war before fascists tear them down will be even shorter.

Hilariously, Return of the Jedi is more of a celebration of the normal person than Rise (Or Last Jedi) was. While Vader killed Sheev and Luke redeemed him, that poo poo was personal. None of them being there and having their fight and emotional argument stopped the shield reactor from being blown up. None of it stopped the sacrifices of the Rebel Alliance. In the worst-case scenario of Sheev winning and Luke becoming his apprentice... the Death Star was about to get blown up. You can claim that they might have been able to escape (As Luke was able to) but it seems unlikely. It really does put into perspective their conflict. Their conflict did not define the war, it was a microcosm of human drama in a macrocosm of the fight for freedom. Killing Sheev didn't stop the Empire, and even if Return ends with "Well the remnants of the Empire are out there" that's fine, the Empire as a force was broken and the Rebels had won, dealing with their splinters is just the "Life goes on" part of things. The Jedi would be reborn, even the evilest soul found redemption, people were happy and smiling and together as they celebrated.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Horizon Burning posted:

this person is just upset that the saga didn't align with their stupid headcanon lmao

Well yeah, it's a think-piece lmao. They're not dealing facts. They do bring up some good points though, imo. I agree with this:

quote:

In the process of trying to placate the very people who have forged entire online identities around hating these films and what they stand for, going so far as to harass actresses Daisy Ridley and Kelly Marie Tran (Rose Tico) off social media, The Rise of Skywalker not only capitulates to some of the most toxic, most media illiterate and regressive corners of the internet, it undermines the thematic resonance of this entire trilogy and its worth as an addition to the Star Wars story. It’s a story beat for the people who saw the touching last scene of The Last Jedi and asked, “wait, who’s Broom Boy related to?” It’s a development made for the people who hoped Rey might “prove her worth” as a Kenobi, or as a distant niece of Boba Fett. In the era of the Marvel Cinematic Universe, where every narrative beat has to be setting up some other installment and theme or meaning is secondary to plot and advertising future movies, Johnson’s approach to storytelling — and, indeed, Abrams’ return to sincere wonder and new, original characters in The Force Awakens — feels more necessary than ever.

This makes the IX decision even more bizarre. Lucasfilm was never going to win over the people who had taken to unironically calling themselves a ‘Fandom Menace’ and throwing racist, sexist, and all other kinds of slurs at the people who dared to like the sequels (let alone be in them). From 2018 they had begun a crusade to ‘Boycott Episode IX’ to punish “Jar Jar Abrams” and “Ruin Johnson” (creativity runs deep with these people). They could never fathom that Rey could poignantly be from nowhere, because having no training and being fairly proficient with a lightsaber, despite years on a desert planet fighting with a staff we see her mastery with before she even uses the Force — you know, unlike Luke, who blows up the Death Star after a week using the Force and skills acquired in his childhood, or Anakin, who…blows up the Trade Federation ship using the Force and skills acquired in his childhood — must mean she is a “Mary Sue,” a literary concept rooted in sexism and flung around at female characters who dare to be meaningful or powerful without being properly supported by a man.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"
Lol at "Ruin Johnson." That's pretty good.

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019

teagone posted:

Well yeah, it's a think-piece lmao. They're not dealing facts. They do bring up some good points though, imo. I agree with this:

they do make good points. i'm just being an rear end in a top hat because so many people said that kinda thing if you didn't like TLJ when it came out.

i don't buy that disney did it just to mollify the chuds, though. sure, that happened, but there's no way disney - in all of its profit-seeking glory - didn't do a heap of market research and found out that, to the average consumer, tlj wasn't well-received and so gave abrams instructions to walk it back. cut rose, have luke catch a lightsaber and lift his x-wing. all this dumb bullshit.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Horizon Burning posted:

I actually think there is an angle that can make Rey being a Palpatine have interesting meaning.

Throughout the prequel trilogy we are told Anakin is destined to bring balance to the force. He is the Chosen One. And yet he falls only to be redeemed by his son who was destined to do so. Then Luke talks to Rey about he was the great Luke Skywalker, destined for greatness, and that pride caused his fall

Then we get Rey Palpatine, granddaughter of the biggest believer in destiny and fated bloodlines and meetings.everything is calculated. Everything is planned. She is destined to become the next great Sith Lord, all according to fate

...and she rejects it outright. She ruins his final plan by refusing to accept her destiny, and makes her own by becoming her own person, and adopting the Skywalker name. The grand daughter of the worst Sith Lord in galactic history goes her own way and becomes a Jedi.

I know I probably thought about it way more than JJ and his committee writers did, but that could have been conveyed better in the film. Again, this should have been the narrative arc from the beginning, and not some last Episode twist

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe
Again, I'm not sure if it's a case of cutting Rose due to backlash, or if the actress refused to have as prominent of a role because of the backlash.

Both options are poo poo, but one is company fuckery, the other one is an artist looking after herself.

The backlash still shouldn't have happened. Even though I hate TLJ, she made one, brain-breakingly stupid decision in the whole movie (in which, every character made brain-breakingly bad decisions). She was charismatic and fun to watch.

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

rey being a palpatine is like voldemort having a secrect daughter with bellatrix in the cursed child. it's loving stupid fanfic-tier writing that somehow made it into an actual, real story put out into the world as if it's not the dumbest idea possible

edit: Thank you teagone for that article, I appreciated it.

Metis of the Chat Thread fucked around with this message at 10:16 on Dec 22, 2019

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

H13 posted:

Again, I'm not sure if it's a case of cutting Rose due to backlash, or if the actress refused to have as prominent of a role because of the backlash.

Both options are poo poo, but one is company fuckery, the other one is an artist looking after herself.

The backlash still shouldn't have happened. Even though I hate TLJ, she made one, brain-breakingly stupid decision in the whole movie (in which, every character made brain-breakingly bad decisions). She was charismatic and fun to watch.

Rose was fine as a character and chuds gonna chud. If I was her I would have stepped back from the insane death threats as well. It's not her fault TLJ's badly edited plot relied on stupid decisions by every character to work

TulliusCicero fucked around with this message at 10:16 on Dec 22, 2019

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

TulliusCicero posted:

I actually think there is an angle that can make Rey being a Palpatine have interesting meaning.

Throughout the prequel trilogy we are told Anakin is destined to bring balance to the force. He is the Chosen One. And yet he falls only to be redeemed by his son who was destined to do so. Then Luke talks to Rey about he was the great Luke Skywalker, destined for greatness, and that pride caused his fall

Then we get Rey Palpatine, granddaughter of the biggest believer in destiny and fated bloodlines and meetings.everything is calculated. Everything is planned. She is destined to become the next great Sith Lord, all according to fate

...and she rejects it outright. She ruins his final plan by refusing to accept her destiny, and makes her own by becoming her own person, and adopting the Skywalker name. The grand daughter of the worst Sith Lord in galactic history goes her own way and becomes a Jedi.

I know I probably thought about it way more than JJ and his committee writers did, but that could have been conveyed better in the film. Again, this should have been the narrative arc from the beginning, and not some last Episode twist

You know... Luke wasn't destined to turn Vader back, in fact, Obi-Wan and Yoda specifically told him not to do so and in fact that there was nothing he could do. From both of their perspectives and they were his teachers, his goal was to kill Vader and the Emperor. And if he didn't have the will to do so, then the Emperor had already won.

I really dislike the idea that "Oh, it's that Anakin was the Chosen One, Luke was the Chosen One" or the second Chosen One or that his decision had anything to do with anything but his own good-natured heart. It really... undermines (not as much as the fact that they failed miserably) Luke's entire character to go "Well he was destined to do that." No, he wasn't, if he was destined to do so, then like Yoda and Obi-Wan would have told him that was his destiny. Instead, he willingly went to try and do it with the knowledge that it could very well fail and kill him, it's why he told Leia that she a Skywalker and would need to carry on for him if he failed.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Everyone posted:

Because I like pointless fanfic, what's the 50/50 mashup of TRoS (in which Johnson and Abrams co-direct/write without killing each other)? Bonus points if Werner Herzog is somehow involved.
I meant a mashup of TLJ/the macguffin chase/Palpatine reveal from TRoS. Basically have the chase as a throughline, cap it with Palpatine, and have bits from TLJ as the sandwich meat.

A Johnson/Abrams treatment for Ep9 would be amazing. With Herzog as the enigmatic First Force User..

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

TulliusCicero posted:

The Trilogy would have benefited from a unified narrative arc from the beginning. If this is the story of the Fall of the House of Skywalker and the return of Palpatine, we should have been clued into that from the beginning.

It's clear nobody knew where they were going till now

It would have been nice to have more Snoke. He was a fun/interesting character that was well-acted and a good change from the cackling evil of Palpatine. The fight that followed his death was the highlight of TLJ in my opinion and Serkis did a great job playing the character. Given that his appearance gave the impression he'd been sliced-up before I was hoping that wasn't the last we saw of him.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Onmi posted:

You know... Luke wasn't destined to turn Vader back, in fact, Obi-Wan and Yoda specifically told him not to do so and in fact that there was nothing he could do. From both of their perspectives and they were his teachers, his goal was to kill Vader and the Emperor. And if he didn't have the will to do so, then the Emperor had already won.

I really dislike the idea that "Oh, it's that Anakin was the Chosen One, Luke was the Chosen One" or the second Chosen One or that his decision had anything to do with anything but his own good-natured heart. It really... undermines (not as much as the fact that they failed miserably) Luke's entire character to go "Well he was destined to do that." No, he wasn't, if he was destined to do so, then like Yoda and Obi-Wan would have told him that was his destiny. Instead, he willingly went to try and do it with the knowledge that it could very well fail and kill him, it's why he told Leia that she a Skywalker and would need to carry on for him if he failed.

A lot of other lore really plays up that Luke is destined to set things right, specifically the reason why Obi Wan is on Tatooine watching over him ( though I always took it as Obi-Wan trying to make his amends in his own way)

I agree with most of the other stuff though. Also is there an EU book where Luke trains Leia but she gives up Jedi training? Did I miss something big, or did JJ pull that out of his rear end? I know she was force sensitive

Final thoughts: the idea that the Sith have been wiped out is laughable, because as long as there is the Force and the Jedi, there will always be a chance for the Sith.

Also the mcguffin chase being because of Luke working on the puzzle to get to Exogol (why the gently caress would he be remotely interested in going there without knowing that Palps is alive there?) Is so loving dumb

TulliusCicero fucked around with this message at 10:31 on Dec 22, 2019

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Horizon Burning posted:

i don't buy that disney did it just to mollify the chuds, though. sure, that happened, but there's no way disney - in all of its profit-seeking glory - didn't do a heap of market research and found out that, to the average consumer, tlj wasn't well-received and so gave abrams instructions to walk it back. cut rose, have luke catch a lightsaber and lift his x-wing. all this dumb bullshit.

Oh yeah, of course. But but the author makes a good point in that it's become an unfortunate side effect that the story choices made in TROS does placate the broke-brain fans out there, giving them their much sought after confirmation bias that'll probably just make more of them even louder. And that sucks.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

TulliusCicero posted:

Final thoughts: the idea that the Sith have been wiped out is laughable, because as long as there is the Force and the Jedi, there will always be a chance for the Sith.

But you have to distinguish between the Sith as a specific cult and the Sith as just really angry Jedi.

Actually it is hilarious to me that there is an evil empire founded on the principle of really angry men being in charge.

Grandpa Palpatine
Dec 13, 2019

by vyelkin

Pook Good Mook posted:

I would have thought they were going to follow up with TLJ with Keylo in charge but becoming more and more unhinged and detached with rage as he attempts to hunt down Rey and consolidate power. Rey would try to turn him to the light or something while he ravaged civilized worlds looking for her.

Something more personal rather than a magic fleet mcguffin and space wizard

This would have been too controversial (see: "interesting") for Disney Wars. The type of fans they're focused on courting would have started detoxing and then there'd have been a class action lawsuit in order to pay to replace all of the vomit-stained isle carpets.

Unoriginal Name
Aug 1, 2006

by sebmojo

Clarste posted:

But you have to distinguish between the Sith as a specific cult and the Sith as just really angry Jedi.

Actually it is hilarious to me that there is an evil empire founded on the principle of really angry men being in charge.

Emotional Jedi, not just angry.

Remember kids, stoicism is the only way to be. Or you cant go to Jedi heaven.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

teagone posted:

Oh yeah, of course. But but the author makes a good point in that it's become an unfortunate side effect that the story choices made in TROS does placate the broke-brain fans out there, giving them their much sought after confirmation bias that'll probably just make more of them even louder. And that sucks.

Yeah, that's not what happened, they aren't going "See, see, she was important, I feel good knowing she needed to be important! Mmm now the story panders to me and makes my brain tingle." They're going "lol you loving desperate losers you've written such poo poo you're trying to salvage this and it's even more poo poo. That wasn't the problem, dipshits."

And let's be clear, that she wasn't apart of some dynasty wasn't the problem. The problem was she had the strongest force powers in the setting when she had no reason to be able to use them without training. Like... no one complains that Luke and Anakin are strong in the force and do poo poo that they do. No one's complaining that Rey wins a fight because she can't fight, if they complain about that, it's because it ruins all narrative tension by having the villain get their rear end whooped at the first encounter. Spoilers, Kylo remains a dork who's never intimidating, threatening or in any way capable as a villain. If they had not pulled Palpatine and gone with Kylo as the bad guy, it'd be... less of a joke, but still a joke.

People are really poo poo at elucidating their feelings, brought on by bad-faith actors who are just dumb. Like... no one cares that Rey is strong in the force, as that article says, anyone can be strong in the force. But... how's she able to resist a mind probe, and overpower in the force trained Sith? It's not "How dare you be this powerful" it's "is the force a joke?" Her direct comparison is Finn... Finn's force sensitive, it's pretty clear he's meant to be Force Sensitive even in the first film, and he depicts the usual cases of being force sensitive in Star Wars, he gets bad feelings and like low-level empath abilities? But he can't really do anything with them, he's... it's like being a naturally talented swimmer thrown into the pool, you sure can swim, but if you don't know the techniques or even how to start swimming... you probably can't naturally swim like a champion.

I've talked about it earlier in the thread, for some people the mechanical aspect of things is the interesting part, for some, it's the thematic part. Thematically, Rey as either the descender of a powerful force family or as an entirely new person no lineage isn't really relevant to the control of her powers, beyond that she's in the position that Luke and Anakin were in but unlike them she doesn't have a real mentor to learn from. Unlike those two, it's not adventure that calls to her but family. Luke and Anakin want adventure and to leave their humble roots, while Rey is more searching for a place to belong. So being powerful in the force is vital because it actually gives her a place alongside Kylo Ren, who's the villain. But from a mechanical perspective, just because she's powerful in the force doesn't mean she should be able to stop mind probes and block force pushes from someone who's trained.

And if you prefer the mechanical side, the thematic reasoning doesn't matter. And I would argue that the thematic doesn't require her to be able to use powerful techniques so much as it requires her to be of strong power.

This is why I always say that The Last Jedi doesn't feel like a story, it feels like Rian Johnson is talking to the fans through the vector of the actors. Because there's that moment early on when Snoke gets pissy at Kylo, mocking him for his obsession (That he previously supported) and berating him for "Losing to a girl with no training." That's not a real complaint or a real problem in the realm of the story. Kylo, who was bleeding out from being shot, lost a duel to a person who was perfectly healthy and fueled by rage while he was torn with indecision. Snoke's comments make no sense to Story Kylo Ren, Snokes comments only make sense from the meta-level, of fan commentary on a scene in TFA. And the whole film is like that. It's a commentary to fans.

That's my takeaway anyway. Sorry for all the tangents.

Grandpa Palpatine posted:

This would have been too controversial (see: "interesting") for Disney Wars. The type of fans they're focused on courting would have started detoxing and then there'd have been a class action lawsuit in order to pay to replace all of the vomit-stained isle carpets.

What fan are they courting, it's like courting a unicorn, that doesn't exist. The fan they think they're courting isn't real. So we instead get the reality in a movie that pleases no one. Speaking of, Pook's idea is actually really good, I'd love that, but I still think Kylo would have the 'Joke' status riding on his head. But it would be actually interesting and Subvert Expectations in a Good Way to have the story eventually go "Rey... he's killing civilizations. There's no redemption for him, you gotta kill him." Because I for one am sick of Jesus Forgiving Hitler, if you know what I mean in the kind of stories where the hero is all-forgiving and just "Your muh friend though!" And that's forgiveness enough, they don't need to die in self-sacrifice, the hero forgives and understands them, so should you.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Onmi posted:

Yeah, that's not what happened, they aren't going "See, see, she was important, I feel good knowing she needed to be important! Mmm now the story panders to me and makes my brain tingle." They're going "lol you loving desperate losers you've written such poo poo you're trying to salvage this and it's even more poo poo. That wasn't the problem, dipshits."

I disagree, but I won't argue against you feeling differently on the matter either because your experience with "fandoms" is likely unique to my own.

Arthil
Feb 17, 2012

A Beard of Constant Sorrow
The film was okay. Thought certain bits could have been done differently, like both leads surviving(I guess the reward for turning away from the darkside is death?). There was also a lot of weird new space-words which seemed unnecessary when we already have a whole lot of space-words to describe stuff.

Why is the ancient Sith homeworld Exegol, when Korriban or any of the other planets presented in the KOTOR/SWTOR games would have worked perfectly. And why is the McGuffin called a Sith Wayfinder, when it could have been a Sith Holocron?

Not that the old space-words are better, but it feels like the people in charge of the "New Canon" have a hard-on for wiping all the fun stuff from the EU from existence. Having some kind of connection to the KOTOR stuff would have an interesting setup for them to explore that time in movie form. Which honestly feels like it would work so much better for the direction they're going than the Sequel Trilogy ended up being.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

teagone posted:

I disagree, but I won't argue against you feeling differently on the matter either because your experience with "fandoms" is likely unique to my own.

Probably very true, I can only really talk about what I see which is in my personal friend's circle, and checking Twitter hashtags when I hate myself.

2 who dig the RoS, one of which despises who they call "Fake Fans" who she's listed are people who dislike any released Star Wars film, they're all amazing in her book. She had a smug "Haha here's your EU you fake fans" with RoS and the wholesale lift of the Dark Empire storyline.
1 who's so utterly depressed by Disneywars that she refuses to even talk about the films as they actively enrage her and make her ill. She couldn't even get through TLJ and doesn't want to know what happened in RoS. Anytime anyone says anything, she gets very surly.
And a few who haven't seen the film but I can put down to will like it and will despise it.

Arthil posted:

The film was okay. Thought certain bits could have been done differently, like both leads surviving(I guess the reward for turning away from the darkside is death?). There was also a lot of weird new space-words which seemed unnecessary when we already have a whole lot of space-words to describe stuff.

Why is the ancient Sith homeworld Exegol, when Korriban or any of the other planets presented in the KOTOR/SWTOR games would have worked perfectly. And why is the McGuffin called a Sith Wayfinder, when it could have been a Sith Holocron?

Not that the old space-words are better, but it feels like the people in charge of the "New Canon" have a hard-on for wiping all the fun stuff from the EU from existence. Having some kind of connection to the KOTOR stuff would have an interesting setup for them to explore that time in movie form. Which honestly feels like it would work so much better for the direction they're going than the Sequel Trilogy ended up being.

Wayfinders are specifically a JJ thing. They're all over TFA too. I'm pretty sure it's the only thing he knows how to do. Someone who hated themselves enough to watch the Star Trek films can probably confirm/deny his inability to have an original loving thought.

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019

teagone posted:

do you think they'll realize that disney isn't their friend? do you think they'll remember how much they pushed things like 'the force is female' only to sideline a female character the moment angry voices hit a certain threshold?

Onmi posted:

People are really poo poo at elucidating their feelings, brought on by bad-faith actors who are just dumb. Like... no one cares that Rey is strong in the force, as that article says, anyone can be strong in the force. But... how's she able to resist a mind probe, and overpower in the force trained Sith?

in TFA, kylo wasn't trained. he was a dork with a lightsaber. power with no finesse. he's probably never had an actual lightsaber fight before. snoke even says 'i'll finish his training.' so, i could always buy rey deflecting the probe because ren wasn't that far beyond her. both of these characters had a long way to go.

of course...

quote:

This is why I always say that The Last Jedi doesn't feel like a story, it feels like Rian Johnson is talking to the fans through the vector of the actors. Because there's that moment early on when Snoke gets pissy at Kylo, mocking him for his obsession (That he previously supported) and berating him for "Losing to a girl with no training." That's not a real complaint or a real problem in the realm of the story. Kylo, who was bleeding out from being shot, lost a duel to a person who was perfectly healthy and fueled by rage while he was torn with indecision. Snoke's comments make no sense to Story Kylo Ren, Snokes comments only make sense from the meta-level, of fan commentary on a scene in TFA. And the whole film is like that. It's a commentary to fans.

TLJ utterly changes kylo's character, making him a complete badass. it also has snoke go from 'oh well, i'll finish his training, nbd' to 'YOU STUPID IDIOT, YOU MORON, HAHA YOU LOST TO A GIRL' in about five minutes.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Horizon Burning posted:

do you think they'll realize that disney isn't their friend? do you think they'll remember how much they pushed things like 'the force is female' only to sideline a female character the moment angry voices hit a certain threshold?

Maybe?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

I was entertained by this movie once I realized it was the highest budget fanfic ever put onto a big screen, but it really was not a good movie.

I guess the reason it felt like fanfic to me was that it doesn't say anything original. The villain is a literal zombie recycled from the previous series who's been pulling the strings ALL ALONG, and shocker he both sired AND murdered the hero's parent(s). Also he has a whole fleet of death-star-capable ships ready to go on a planet that no one can find without a special evil mcguffin, which you need another evil mcguffin to find the location of, which just so happened to be the knife that murdered the hero's parents!!!

I mean... that's all literally in the movie. Palpatine can't even get his evil story straight. First he wants to kill Rey and make Kylo the emperor, then he wants Rey to kill him to complete her journey to the dark side or something, it's kind of unclear but then he's like naw fam actually I'll just leech the power out of you two idiots! Yes, I can do that, don't ask me why I didn't just do that to Rey when she got here...

The cuts had people teleporting from planet to planet constantly, the absolutely hilarious 'actually there was ANOTHER transport lol don't worry Rey's actions had no consequences' scene, the vat full of Snokes, the full on 'gently caress it I'm a lightning wizard, pew pew', the Light speed jumps from atmosphere, the hilarious loving GROUP HUG at the end so you can decide for yourself who ends up with who because having a consistent romantic thread in your story is way too much to ask...

It all reads to me like some ten year old kid playing with his toys, and it would be fine if it was. Unfortunately, it's a movie, and should be held to a slightly higher standard than that.