Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dishwasher
Dec 5, 2006

Congratulations on not getting fit in 2011!

Insane Totoro posted:

It finally clicked for me. Most of you don't like this new movie because you all thought ROTJ was a bad movie.

But then what do you like about Star Wars besides arguing about it??

I like it mostly because its a better ROTJ, ending notwithstanding. Jabba's Palace and faffing around in Endor was like watching grass grow.

There were many wipes, but they were done subtly and blended with the background and scenery movements.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

This movie is so much worse than RotJ, holy balls.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

mastershakeman posted:

The best part of this is that Leia hiding her dad was Darth Vader is why she lost her political power and contributed to the new republic's fall

Also changing her name literally doesn't help her. Since Kylo Ren, ya know, Ben Skywalker, not to mention Anakin it's like "Oh you're a Skywalker, that means you're only going to get seduced by the next old wizard who decides things need a change. Real convenient how you Jedi get to go 'The bad ones are sith' whenever one of you decides to massacre someone."

Dishwasher
Dec 5, 2006

Pollyanna posted:

This movie is so much worse than RotJ, holy balls.

That's debatable. There's parts here I'd rather watch numerous times than parts of ROTJ. Mainly Jabba's Palace and 80% of them faffing about on Endor. Those are brutally boring and could have been devoted to....anything else like the climactic stuff happening instead. It's like they forgot it was the last in the series until the last act. I forgive ROTJ's flaws more because it wasn't the grand finale afterall. As big and delightfully dumb as RoS is, its not boring and doesn't forget this is the Grand Finale For Real, For Now.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
Ok when did the dark star destroyers get made was that answered

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

mastershakeman posted:

Ok when did the dark star destroyers get made was that answered

During RotJ, but they aren't Death Star lasers, they're Lasers powered by Sheev Force.

Unoriginal Name
Aug 1, 2006

by sebmojo

Dishwasher posted:

That's debatable. There's parts here I'd rather watch numerous times than parts of ROTJ. Mainly Jabba's Palace and 80% of them faffing about on Endor. Those are brutally boring and could have been devoted to....anything else like the climactic stuff happening instead. It's like they forgot it was the last in the series until the last act. I forgive ROTJ's flaws more because it wasn't the grand finale afterall. As big and delightfully dumb as RoS is, its not boring and doesn't forget this is the Grand Finale For Real, For Now.

You can tell its a grand finale because of the big sky laser

Dishwasher
Dec 5, 2006

Onmi posted:

During RotJ, but they aren't Death Star lasers, they're Lasers powered by Sheev Force.

This is fine.

"The power to blow up a planet is nothing compared to the power of the Force."

I feel like these movies needed and, dare I say, welcomed Power Creep with that line. I would assume it'll continue until people "are" literally blowing up planets with the Force, without the use of a ship to help the process. Otherwise, the line is just posturing and hyperbole. I wouldn't be shocked if the next trilogy involved Rey encountering someone who's basically a god and can just create and destroy whatever they want whenever they want, like the Phoenix Force or some poo poo.

Unoriginal Name posted:

You can tell its a grand finale because of the big sky laser

You gotta be careful. The storytelling is tricky. Sometimes the big sky laser is in the beginning AND the end. So its confusing.

Samara
Jan 6, 2011

quote:

Deposited $150 at Mt Gox to try this Bitcoin thing out.

Stolen 6 days later. Really enjoyed my time there.

Helpful? Please donate - being this retarded ain't cheap!

Samara Investments
Basement Suite #101
Mom's House, Hometown FL
USAAA+
Is Anakin allowed to tell Rey “bring balance like I did” when she’s having the Be With Me moment ?

I mean he did slaughter younglings while bringing that balance.

(One of my favorite scenes in the movie btw)

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Onmi posted:

Is the timeline or the power explained during the movie , I did get up to piss twice

Dishwasher
Dec 5, 2006

mastershakeman posted:

Is the timeline or the power explained during the movie , I did get up to piss twice

Search...your feelings.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Dishwasher posted:

Search...your feelings.

My wife is convinced palpatine just conjured them after he died , which is honestly more reasonable

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Okay then, gently caress it! If we're going all in on the fanservice, then I'm honestly kinda baffled as to why they didn't evoke Anakin more, considering Ben. It's not like people would have been angry if he showed up, and it would make Kylo's redemption more resonant in some fashion. The other Jedi only getting voice cameos also feels like a hell of a cop-out too - how loving nuts would it have been to see all the prequel Jedi and Clone Wars/Rebels Jedi show up?

For that matter, why aren't there more space battles? Space battles are the most mindlessly fun part of Star Wars, lightsaber fights are boring as poo poo in comparison. I don't hold much nostalgia or nuttery for Star Wars at all, but I will admit that I loving love the starfighters - gimme X-wings! Gimme A-wings! Gimme Y-wings - eh, actually, Y-wings are kinda boring. Gimme new ships! All the new ships! Give me a reason to get excited to buy Battlefront II and ignore everything in the game other than the starfighter battle mode! Give Poe something to loving do!

Gimme more droids, too. I love droids, all the droids, all the Rs, all the BBs, all the whatever K2SO is, god I love them, mmmmmerrrghghghghhghghghghghngnghgn

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Onmi posted:

Well... it's a multitude of factors really, namely that George got kids hooked, and as much as it's repeated: "These are films for children about space wizards." Uh... the kid audience doesn't really give a poo poo about Star Wars. The prequels worked because there was a tv show to go along with them, so even if the kids didn't really get the films, they got the tv show which had the same characters so there's a crossover of merchandise. There's no TV show about the ST timeline. There's a lot of merch, but... kids don't care? Like Rebels sells/sold pretty well as far as I can tell, and that makes sense, it was a show aimed at kids and kids often saw it because it was weekly, so it sold. But... they've no connection to Rey or Finn or Poe, Kylo does better because he has a unique visual design and flare, same reason the Stormtroopers and Vader always sold well.

Disney probably has more merchandise, but it's not as focused as what Lucas's would be. Don't get me wrong, they still make money off merchandise, but it's not the amount they could be making.

There is a ST show and it's not good. Poe is the main cameoing character and BB8 was a main character early on. It got cancelled.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Darko posted:

There is a ST show and it's not good. Poe is the main cameoing character and BB8 was a main character early on. It got cancelled.

I mean point basically supported

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler

Insane Totoro posted:

It finally clicked for me. Most of you don't like this new movie because you all thought ROTJ was a bad movie.

No, I like the original trilogy, this movie was poorly written and paced.

e:. The more I think about this movie the more I am convinced that Abrams is a hack and the clear lack of defined vision from the start of this trilogy is a summation of everything wrong with current Disney and their quest to own every IP but not actually care enough to do anything compelling with them.

ONE YEAR LATER fucked around with this message at 16:33 on Dec 22, 2019

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/deandobbs/status/1208769452327755776?s=21

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
Return Of The Jedi is two short movies sort of smushed together and it sags extremely boringly in the middle. The big final battle is still my favourite Star Wars bit though

Raccooon
Dec 5, 2009

dandaman posted:

Read an interview with McGregor the other day. That part of the fight had to be slowed down in post production because Ewan and Ray rehearsed it so much and got so into it, that the whole fight was instinct to them.

Really? I was thinking that it had to be sped up. There is a moment where Obiwan blocks behind his back and then back to his front to block again that is so quick it amazing that is slowed down.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Darko posted:

For the life of me I can't figure out what show you're talking about.

The D in Detroit
Oct 13, 2012
ROTJ is currently my favorite so that’s setting expectations pretty high

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Insane Totoro posted:

I like A New Hope as either a self contained adventure or a story setting but I don't want to see it over and over again, but made worse.

What I like about Star Wars is the general setting and exploring how the moral and governmental failings that exist in our world are mirrored in one with giant lasers and renamed-chi.

Therefore, Empire, some of Rogue One and probably definitely the original version, the PLOTTING of the prequels (if not the execution), some of Clone Wars/Rebels, and I appreciate what TLJ started to try to do but it should have ended at the throne room.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Pollyanna posted:

For the life of me I can't figure out what show you're talking about.

Still a better animated Leia than what they did in this movie.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Dishwasher posted:

That's didn't mean you could literally destroy planets with the Force.

lmao at saying it's debatable Return oft he Jedi is better than this. That is a level of brokebrain I didn't think was possible.

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!
Ultra Carp

Davros1 posted:

A good question - for another time.

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

Dishwasher posted:

I thought that was because the force is what let him maneuver and manipulate to the position where he controlled all that power. Cloaks, daggers, trade negotiations, and the senate type stuff.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Groovelord Neato posted:

lmao at saying it's debatable Return oft he Jedi is better than this. That is a level of brokebrain I didn't think was possible.

I encourage people to go back and watch the throne room scenes , it's absolutely fantastic

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Hot take: Kylo-Ben is the best character in the entire sequel trilogy. He has an arc, his actor is talented, he has a large number of memorable moments, and he's one of two characters/actors in the best scene of the ST. His tail ending was pretty lame, but the rest is actually pretty good.

mastershakeman posted:

I encourage people to go back and watch the throne room scenes , it's absolutely fantastic

The throne room scenes are great, especially how things progress between Luke and Vader.

Dishwasher
Dec 5, 2006

Groovelord Neato posted:

Of course not. But power creep gonna power creep. Palpatine definitely destroyed planets with Force powered SDs implied to be powered by his essence alone. The series itself disagrees with you. Rey and Palpatine hosed up ships with their own finger-lightnings. More ridiculousness is incoming.

And you'll find many people have problems with ROTJ, less/more issues with every other Star Wars movie (some you'll agree and disagree with), and a whole bag of other different opinions different from yours. I know! :aaaaa: But nah, keep calling people broke-brained. It won't change my particular opinion. Stop bringing down the vibes. :)

Dishwasher
Dec 5, 2006

Pollyanna posted:

Hot take: Kylo-Ben is the best character in the entire sequel trilogy. He has an arc, his actor is talented, he has a large number of memorable moments, and he's one of two characters/actors in the best scene of the ST. His tail ending was pretty lame, but the rest is actually pretty good.

The throne room scenes are great, especially how things progress between Luke and Vader.

Much like Lucas said the original 6 were all about Vader (which people didn't buy), the ST is totally about Kylo with everyone kinda serving his development and journey. While Rey was a main character here, I feel like this was her introduction and she'll get her own series to be broken down and learn her own harsh lessons like Kylo did here. And it'll probably be with the audience observing her through another main character just like Rey was observing Kylo here. Perhaps the main character next is one of her students who doesn't get along with her and calls her out for being, frankly, a bit of a pompous arrogant dick.

Dishwasher fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Dec 22, 2019

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
Lol all the audiobooks for heir to empire at the library are checked out

Weird, i wonder why, it couldn't possibly be guys like me telling their spouses that look just listen to this instead gently caress the new trilogy

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Pollyanna posted:

Throne room scenes and the space battle are the only thing in that movie directed well, but they're directed REALLY well.

I just did a ESB > ROTJ > TPM run and the dropoff from Empire to Jedi in just how things look and are framed are ridiculous, and it also makes TPM look much, much better and kind of works as making the movie better in general.

Just Chamber
Feb 10, 2014

WE MUST RETURN TO THE DANCE! THE NIGHT IS OURS!

Pollyanna posted:

I'm pretty sure almost everyone agrees that Kylo is the best character in the sequels by far. Which is kinda amazing when you think about how everyone ragged on his emo rear end after the initial viewing of TFA.

edit: I dont know why they didnt just take 1 minute to say that Palpatine survived by having his spirit leave his body and then he was put into a clone or he reentered his corpse. I rewatched the throne room scene in ROTJ and after he falls you literally see ghost like energy emerge out of the pit. It also would have been a cool little twist if we realise that he wants Rey to kill him so he can jump into her body and be powerful again.

Just Chamber fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Dec 22, 2019

Dishwasher
Dec 5, 2006

mastershakeman posted:

Lol all the audiobooks for heir to empire at the library are checked out

Weird, i wonder why, it couldn't possibly be guys like me telling their spouses that look just listen to this instead gently caress the new trilogy

:cheers:

I like RoS and the ST, but I had a LOT more fun with the unabridged Heir to the Empire trilogy audiobook narrated by Marc Thompson. (i.e. I'm not a total loving idiot here) Complete with John Williams score, voice acting, and sound effects. loving aces there's no comparison between the two trilogies, especially when the audiobook adds flair and production values to the affairs. It's not even fair. :allears:

Dishwasher fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Dec 22, 2019

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I get the ewoks, but I was confused when I saw the hobbit.

Dishwasher
Dec 5, 2006

Just Chamber posted:

I rewatched the throne room scene in ROTJ and after he falls you literally see ghost like energy emerge out of the pit. It also would have been a cool little twist if we realise that he wants Rey to kill him so he can jump into her body and be powerful again.

I always thought of the ghost energy in ROTJ as a potential sequel hook even at the very beginning when no additional movies were in sight. It shouldn't be shocking he's returned when we literally "saw" some unusual sketchy Sith rear end poo poo happen at the point of his death.

The D in Detroit
Oct 13, 2012
I assumed he just rage quit and exploded because he was angry about losing

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

This movie swung to hard in the other direction to “fix” some of the things TLJ did.

The rocks scene.
The lightsaber and fire scene.
Rose being nothing.
All the goddamn adventures jumping around.
And other poo poo I’m missing.

Waste of time.

Vintersorg fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Dec 22, 2019

zelah
Dec 1, 2004

Diabetes, you are not invited to my pizza party.

Darko posted:

Resistance is fine. I don’t know that it got cancelled as much as “they did two seasons and ended it”. Rebels was a finite story too, not every tv show has to go on for years and years and years.

A lot of people seem to miss which parent of Rey’s was palpatine’s kid. I don’t know why it would matter, but Kylo Ren says “my mother was the daughter of Vader, your father was the son of Palpatine”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Dishwasher posted:

And you'll find many people have problems with ROTJ, less/more issues with every other Star Wars movie (some you'll agree and disagree with), and a whole bag of other different opinions different from yours. I know! :aaaaa: But nah, keep calling people broke-brained. It won't change my particular opinion. Stop bringing down the vibes. :)

This movie was awful and Return of the Jedi has the most emotionally powerful scenes in the entire franchise despite being the weakest of the original films.