Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

Are you training for the war on cars?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
This is aspirational, but hot drat if this doesn't want me to aim some knobbies at a dirt road and kick up bits of mulch

https://bikerumor.com/2019/11/27/bikerumor-pic-of-the-day-toulouse-france/

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
Here are some turkeys i saw the other day on a ride

they're all over the place around here. One time on a mtb ride I almost ran into some on two separate occasions.

Also wild turkeys can fly. I've seen it with my own eyes. Here are some in a tree

jamal fucked around with this message at 06:47 on Nov 29, 2019

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
Last ride on the Stuntman™ tonight.

Also stickers came :shittydog:

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
And the reason it was the last Stuntman™ ride today is because other than a messed up brake line olive, I finally finished building this tonight.

Behold the Spirit of Gravel™ a 2019 Kona Jake the Snake :madmax:

PabloBOOM
Mar 10, 2004
Hunchback of DOOM
The Spirit is truly strong with this one.

Tigren
Oct 3, 2003

e.pilot posted:

And the reason it was the last Stuntman™ ride today is because other than a messed up brake line olive, I finally finished building this tonight.

Behold the Spirit of Gravel™ a 2019 Kona Jake the Snake :madmax:

My only criticism of your build is the SRAM cassette. The slight differences of the ramps on Shimano lead to much better shifting IMO. If you haven't bought cassettes for all your wheel sets already buy a Shimano 11-42 and try it out. I'd say it's well worth the extra weight.

Otherwise sweet ride.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
The grav gods were good today.

PabloBOOM
Mar 10, 2004
Hunchback of DOOM

Tigren posted:

My only criticism of your build is the SRAM cassette. The slight differences of the ramps on Shimano lead to much better shifting IMO. If you haven't bought cassettes for all your wheel sets already buy a Shimano 11-42 and try it out. I'd say it's well worth the extra weight.

Otherwise sweet ride.

A true gravel steed's shift ramps are made up of, or covered entirely by, mud, sticks, leaf litter, medium sized rocks, or animal bone. Brand is irrelevant.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME

e.pilot posted:

The grav gods were good today.

word

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
I made a stem cap tonight, I can't decide if I like this or the colorado one better.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Today: much wetter than yesterday.

Also wasn't a strict gravel ride but I rode plenty of gravel to get there and did some road on the way back cuz sometimes you gotta get home

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

The spirit of gravel spoke to me today

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
Spirit of Mud for me today.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

oh there was plenty of mud too

my dream "gravel" around here is a good soaking day or two of rain and then a good day or two of sun to dry things out a tad, but really it just ends up being kind of a mess

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
grav is love, grav is life

PabloBOOM
Mar 10, 2004
Hunchback of DOOM
Preach, brethren.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
G R A B B L E

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
Finally a reprieve from the rain :madmax:

What is that blue stuff behind the clouds?

Tigren
Oct 3, 2003
It was overcast and windy, but a gravel ride is a good ride.

Tigren fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Dec 22, 2019

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

I rode gravel today but took no pictures cause it was raining so hard. Had fun, found the limits of traction on my slick tires a few times while trying to keep up with my compatriots on knobbies.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
My new tires have a little bit too much spirit :smith:

Anybody want some brand new 650x47 senderos?

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Huh is that 650b being problematic because it’s not lining up the wide part of the tire with the chainstay indent?

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
Yeah but even if it did it’d still be too wide unfortunately.

I got some 42 wide wtb resolutes on the way, if those don’t fit I’m scrapping the idea of 650b adventure wheels all together.

a loathsome bird
Aug 15, 2004

e.pilot posted:

Yeah but even if it did it’d still be too wide unfortunately.

I got some 42 wide wtb resolutes on the way, if those don’t fit I’m scrapping the idea of 650b adventure wheels all together.

My 42 Resolutes measure about 45mm on a 21 internal width rim, guessing the Senderos probably also run a few mm wider than the specced 47 so you should be good. The Resolutes are supposedly a lot better for mixing in some road sections too- they're a bit noisy but they feel pretty fast rolling and manage to shed the sticky clay mud we get here decently well.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
Other than “road plus” slicks there’s really not many other options other than the resolute for 650x42 weirdly.

e:
Found one more aggressive as hell tire I can try before throwing in the towel.
https://www.treefortbikes.com/Surly...ykaAgXYEALw_wcB

e.pilot fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Dec 22, 2019

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

e.pilot posted:

Other than “road plus” slicks there’s really not many other options other than the resolute for 650x42 weirdly.

e:
Found one more aggressive as hell tire I can try before throwing in the towel.
https://www.treefortbikes.com/Surly...ykaAgXYEALw_wcB

There Knard is gonna be really harsh/stiff, but would make sense for the toughest roads.

650x42 has too much BB drop except for 700x23, which wouldn't come on frames that were meant for bigger tires and had clearance for an upsized 650 tire.

Bud Manstrong
Dec 11, 2003

The Curse of the Flying Criosphinx
The Knard isn’t actually that aggressive and it doesn’t set up tubeless.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
I just want the senderos to fit :smith:

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Merry Christmas of gravel :toot:

Got in a little ride after setting up my brother in law on my old bike. Up the mountain a bit, down the mountain a bit

trufflefoo
Oct 29, 2006
Spirit of Gravel closed some roads on my post-Christmas, still-cold-having spin out.
Some track and some mud in the woods. Best part of the ride.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

wicked lean you got going there

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Maybe it's just really flared bars? Was wondering the same.

trufflefoo
Oct 29, 2006

kimbo305 posted:

Maybe it's just really flared bars? Was wondering the same.

It’s this. These are the bars.

Fantastic for bikepacking as you can get a 20L dry bag on the bars and still change gear.

PabloBOOM
Mar 10, 2004
Hunchback of DOOM
Those bars are magnificent. I think they need to go on the Chamois Hagar to really complete the package.

sweat poteto
Feb 16, 2006

Everybody's gotta learn sometime
Spots of garble on the ride today, including this gnarly old road - a mile at -12% - mix of dirt, gravel and big quartz boulders.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

sweat poteto posted:

Spots of garble on the ride today, including this gnarly old road - a mile at -12% - mix of dirt, gravel and big quartz boulders.

:eyepop: what did that road used to be?

sweat poteto
Feb 16, 2006

Everybody's gotta learn sometime
Seems like a private access road or a driveway - maybe it was an early road before the area got developed and now no-one uses it. Doesn't seem to ever have been sealed or properly leveled with all these big boulders and sharp quartz. You wouldn't even notice it from the top entrance because it drops off the side of another driveway.. but it's marked on google maps with a name, and none of the usual "private road" signage at the top :shrug: Joins up to a proper well surfaced gravel road below that then runs down to the main paved road.

kemikalkadet
Sep 16, 2012

:woof:
grey wet grabble

cant wait until the ground isnt completely saturated all the time oh wait it's england lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PabloBOOM
Mar 10, 2004
Hunchback of DOOM
Winter gravel in the Midwest can be fickle. While this was slow going, these "warm" conditions put a huge smile in my heart.

Also bemused cows