Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Resistance is loving awful and its a struggle to get through every episode. Animation is gorgeous but everything else stinks. Clone Wars and Rebels is much more well regarded.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unoriginal Name
Aug 1, 2006

by sebmojo
Let's say you are the captain of an imperial star destroyer. A rebel troop transport has landed on top of your ship and they have unleashed a herd of boar-horses because apparently cavalry is cool again. Do you:

A) Roll over, dumping them all to their deaths
B) Wait for them to drop a grenade into the vent that leads to the explosives you cleverly planted under your communications tower
C) Be really angry at the recruitment officer who told you about this job opportunity but left out how you'd be living on hellworld
D) Quietly hate the writers

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Where's Peppy when you need him?

The Golden Gael
Nov 12, 2011

TulliusCicero posted:

Rose was fine as a character and chuds gonna chud. If I was her I would have stepped back from the insane death threats as well. It's not her fault TLJ's badly edited plot relied on stupid decisions by every character to work

I don't like the character but I felt like they went out of their way to make her unlikeable in TLJ. This time around it is very palpable and awkward how sidelined she is, and it's actually infuriating because that's the lazy way out instead of giving her another chance.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Unoriginal Name posted:

Let's say you are the captain of an imperial star destroyer. A rebel troop transport has landed on top of your ship and they have unleashed a herd of boar-horses because apparently cavalry is cool again. Do you:

A) Roll over, dumping them all to their deaths
B) Wait for them to drop a grenade into the vent that leads to the explosives you cleverly planted under your communications tower
C) Be really angry at the recruitment officer who told you about this job opportunity but left out how you'd be living on hellworld
D) Quietly hate the writers

Only the best pilots know that spinning is a good trick. If it were Anakin or Kylo...

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
But there were cool new red Stormtroopers, aren't you psyched to go buy all of those new action figures?

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Robotnik Nudes posted:

On reflection I think the stupidest bit was when Rey held the dagger up to the big chunk of Death Star and somehow that told her where to go.

That was painfully stupid. The entire dagger subplot was sheer "baby's first DnD Mcguffin"

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

But there were cool new red Stormtroopers, aren't you psyched to go buy all of those new action figures?

Nope, they look like poo poo and a lot of collectors are laughing at the poo poo. Especially with the Predator mouths.

whatis
Jun 6, 2012
imagine being a life-long nerd and being in the position where you're successful and rich enough to do anything with one of the most beloved sci-fi series of all time and you choose to do the most boring and dumb poo poo with it, lmao

Dishwasher
Dec 5, 2006

Congratulations on not getting fit in 2011!

Groovelord Neato posted:

Return of the Jedi has the most emotionally powerful scenes in the entire franchise despite being the weakest of the original films.

Which is basicallly exactly what I said before the blaster got brought out. I agree with this statement. Its highs are higher than the rest of the whole series, full stop. But getting there sometimes is woof. Not always, like when I'm in the mood for its quirks. But occassionally you can tell Lucas just wanted to go home, count his cash, and take a break.

RoS was pretty good tho, yes. Sorry for snapping earlier. :unsmith:

whatis
Jun 6, 2012
ok guys, get this. what if there was another death star? but this time it was a moon

[two movies later]

ok what if more death stars, but this time they're star destroyers?

Combat Theory
Jul 16, 2017

Vintersorg posted:

Nope, they look like poo poo and a lot of collectors are laughing at the poo poo. Especially with the Predator mouths.

What the hell

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Dishwasher posted:

I like it mostly because its a better ROTJ, ending notwithstanding. Jabba's Palace and faffing around in Endor was like watching grass grow.

There were many wipes, but they were done subtly and blended with the background and scenery movements.

I really disagree with this. ROTJ had a great resolution to multiple subplots. Even Endor moves fairly quickly

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Oven Wrangler

Vintersorg posted:

But she's got a new hat!

whatis
Jun 6, 2012
this movie was dogshit. ian mcdiarmid continues to loving own though. palpatine makes absolutely no loving sense but mcdiarmid plays him so well that it almost doesn't matter

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

The Sith Troopers are in it for so little time you don't even see how dumb their helmets are. I just assumed they;d just have normal helmets that were red.

Dishwasher
Dec 5, 2006

TulliusCicero posted:

I really disagree with this. ROTJ had a great resolution to multiple subplots. Even Endor moves fairly quickly

I think Jabba moves very, very slow. Glacially. Endor is better, by a bit. The other two had side quests, but they weren't dull or boringly-shot and presented. Everything leads to a great climax so I can't bitch too much. But ROTJ is far from perfect and I'm hardly saying groundbreaking stuff here. Many others have said the same. (shrug)

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Horizon Burning posted:

Apparently, Abrams rejected or fought against the Story Group and Kennedy's suggestions as much as possible, whereas Johnson was more receptive. With that in mind, the reason why they let Johnson throw out Abrams' ideas makes much more sense.

This is the most unsurprising thing. He seems like has a massive ego when it comes to handling these massive established properties

Disney begging him to come back probably didn't help that mentality

Dishwasher posted:

I think Jabba moves very, very slow. Glacially. Endor is better, by a bit. The other two had side quests, but they weren't dull or boringly-shot and presented. Everything leads to a great climax so I can't bitch too much. But ROTJ is far from perfect and I'm hardly saying groundbreaking stuff here. Many others have said the same. (shrug)

Fair enough. I just think ROTJ while nowhere near my favorite is way better written and explained then this

Gorelab
Dec 26, 2006

In general it honestly feels like Disney should have had a lot more of an outline planned rather than just what feels like absolutely nothing.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Dishwasher posted:

Much like Lucas said the original 6 were all about Vader (which people didn't buy), the ST is totally about Kylo with everyone kinda serving his development and journey. While Rey was a main character here, I feel like this was her introduction and she'll get her own series to be broken down and learn her own harsh lessons like Kylo did here. And it'll probably be with the audience observing her through another main character just like Rey was observing Kylo here. Perhaps the main character next is one of her students who doesn't get along with her and calls her out for being, frankly, a bit of a pompous arrogant dick.

As far as I've heard, Daisy Ridley has no plans to come back. Neither do Oscar Isaac, John Boyega, or Kelly Marie Tran, for that matter. So...yeah. The ST is completely finished, thank god.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010
Palpatine Fucks.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Oven Wrangler

Gorelab posted:

In general it honestly feels like Disney should have had a lot more of an outline planned rather than just what feels like absolutely nothing.

I am by no means a MCU fanatic but to see them be able to have some kind of overarching plan for multiple movies and characters and then see this just flop around like no one gave a gently caress is really disappointing. For better or worse at least the prequels and OT had a singular person behind them with some kind of vision in mind.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Rey: My name is Rey Organa-Solo-Skywalker-Palpatine-Yoda-Kenobi-Amidala-Windu-Senate

*ignites fifty-bladed lightsaber*

There, I fixed TROS
Hire me, LucasFilm

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I like how Rey makes out with Ben and then at the end declares that she's related to him. :shepface:

Hobo Clown
Oct 16, 2012

Here it is, Baby.
Your killer track.

Mymla posted:

Palpatine Fucks.

The Dead gently caress!

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Hobo Clown posted:

Yeah after TFA was a beat for beat remake of ANH it was refreshing to see TLJ go in a new direction. Rey isn't anyone famous, she's just a talented force user in the right place at the right time who's brave enough to use it to help people, and that's it. But nope, RoS needs to make sure that everything is connected back to the nearly 40 year-old OT.

This. I don't entirely hate the Palp thing, it could be handled in a way better way though. The better option was more the "This brand new person carves her own meaning in the galaxy, unconnected to the past at all". The "you have no place in this story, you are nothing" could have been amazing if Rey's subliminal response was "then I'll make my own place"

It also reinforces that anybody anywhere can use the Force, which is way better. Again, if you have a trilogy focused on a mystery (who is controlling the FO, who are Rey's parents?), know what the answer to it loving is, and each step your protagonist has to take to solve it or resolve it. The whole things is such a mess of multiple plots and inconsistent big bad guys, which is really a shame, because this movie shows how good the main cast could have been with more consistent writing and a plot that wasn't pants on head stupid :smith:

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Pollyanna posted:

So...yeah. The ST is completely finished, thank god.

10 years, MAX.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Dishwasher posted:

Swear. People in Star Wars hate two things; droids and loving Jedi. Space bigots taking advantage of the fact that most of the Force users are dead to start their own little Holocaust and a nice little Muggle-Based Hegemony. Probably tons of suspicions now with people aware that Palpatine, First Order brass, and the Jedi Order were all Force users (all connected to bloody government coups, war, and trillions of deaths regardless of the reasons) and a charismatic man in the middle asking people if they really want Force users walking around uncontrolled is a great way to start things for X. Maybe they even have Jedi-Hunters armed with artificial/tech-based Force powers and Rey needs to shepherd the new Jedi Order around this new madness, and show with futility that "her" Order at least is a force for good (goes badly), while also contending with *insert Force-based Eldritch monstrosity threat here*. Suddenly the society she worked so hard to fit into is casting her out! And its reviving dark feelings she thought she'd long buried within her secret genetics. :ohdear:

This actually happens in some of the EU books. The New Republic gets sick of Jedi/ Sith constantly loving things up and puts a former Imperial Admiral turned defector in charge of a program that keeps an eye on the Jedi, and her policies end up so popular she ends up taking over, and she attacks Luke's Yavin Temple and makes the Jedi illegal.

I actually really like the concept of "Oldtypes" persecuting Force users because they keep loving things up, but Disney would never touch it with a 1,000 foot pole

TulliusCicero fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Dec 22, 2019

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

Horizon Burning posted:

Apparently, Abrams rejected or fought against the Story Group and Kennedy's suggestions as much as possible, whereas Johnson was more receptive. With that in mind, the reason why they let Johnson throw out Abrams' ideas makes much more sense.

extremely impressed that jj threw off the shackles and used his newfound freedom to make the least creative thing possible

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

zelah posted:

Resistance is fine. I don’t know that it got cancelled as much as “they did two seasons and ended it”. Rebels was a finite story too, not every tv show has to go on for years and years and years.

A lot of people seem to miss which parent of Rey’s was palpatine’s kid. I don’t know why it would matter, but Kylo Ren says “my mother was the daughter of Vader, your father was the son of Palpatine”

Oh my god thank you

I legit thought they never mentioned which it was

Also I don't mind Palps being like "eh I survived because I'm an evil space wizard, doesn't matter". Fits with his character, extremely lacking for the audience though, and it's mainly because JJ couldn't write a way for him to do so that wasn't stupid.

And again, Abrams seems like a pretentious hack who has no idea what writing is

TulliusCicero fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Dec 22, 2019

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Hobo Clown posted:

The Dead gently caress!

This is better than what's in the film.

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love
Why was BB-8 with Rey on Tatooine instead of R2-D2?

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

gohmak posted:

R2 remembers what happened to him the last time he was there, and said "No thanks."

Dishwasher
Dec 5, 2006

TulliusCicero posted:

This actually happens in some of the EU books. The New Republic gets sick of Jedi/ Sith constantly loving things up and puts a former Imperial Admiral turned defector in charge of a program that keeps an eye on the Jedi, and her policies end up so popular she ends up taking over, and she attacks Lule's Yavin Temple and makes the Jedi illegal.

I actually really like the concept of "Oldtypes" persecuting Force users because they keep loving things up, but Disney would never touch it with a 1,000 foot pole

Its a shame because a trilogy with two powerful but tiny militia going at it with everyone else's life on the line and regular people openly sick of either side is the current status quo. The post-Hosnian Prime Government being the villain, with everyone so happy the iconography isn't Imperial this time that no one pays attention until its too late, is another obvious move, with Imperial and Resistance forces being forced to work together because "holy poo poo look how sketchy these new politicians are. gently caress!". Give us Zeta Gundam Star Wars you cowards.

10 years MAX is right. I'm frankly still shocked we got 8 new films and multiple tv shows past the OT, but money ain't gonna make itself.

Dishwasher fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Dec 22, 2019

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

gohmak posted:

R2-D2 was executed for helping a robot that knew the sith language.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

cuntman.net posted:

extremely impressed that jj threw off the shackles and used his newfound freedom to make the least creative thing possible

This might be the laziest movie I've ever seen.

Dishwasher
Dec 5, 2006

Sorry. Phone issues.

Gorelab
Dec 26, 2006

Dishwasher posted:

Its a shame because a trilogy with two powerful but tiny militia going at it with everyone else's life on the line and regular people openly sick of either side is the current status quo. The post-Hosnian Prime Government being the villain is another obvious move, with Imperial and Resistance forces being forced to work together because "holy poo poo look how sketchy these new politicians are. gently caress!". Give us Zeta Gundam Star Wars you cowards.

I feel like the Imperials are too much just 100% nazis for that rather than nazis but having taken over a somewhat legitimate movement that got coopted.

Miching Mallecho
May 24, 2010

:yeshaha:
I want to know what the story group’s ideas actually were now.

God drat I love behind the scenes poo poo like this and it’s never going to be in a documentary or a book.

Thanks a lot Disney :jerkbag:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Also, I really don't remember Palps being all that big on the cause of the Sith as a whole at all. In this movie he constantly talks about their return, but in the Originals and even the Prequels he just sees them as a means to an end to obtain power. He doesn't give a poo poo really about the survival of the Sith or their power, he cares about HIS power: everything else is a chess piece to be used to get there

Just wierd characterization on his part in that last act. Why would he say "I am all of the Sith"? those guys were losers and lost; he is eternal and always one step from victory. He doesn't loving need them; Sith are not big on the "we are on big team" mentality anyway, that's a Jedi thing