Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic is a 2003 role-playing game developed by BioWare and published by LucasArts. It's also one the best Star Wars games out there and one of my favorite games of all time. Seriously, I've played through this game probably 20 times over the years, although most of those runs were between 2004-2006 and it's been a pretty long while since my last complete playthrough. Knights of the Old Republic takes place approximately 4,000 years prior to the rise of the Empire (3,956 years before A New Hope), in a time period previously explored by the Tales of the Jedi comics in the 90s, although the overall presentation is still closer to "modern" Star Wars than the far less technologically advanced style seen in Tales of the Jedi. Setting the story so far back in time, BioWare didn't have to worry about movie continuity or anything of the sort, and were able to create a Star Wars adventure that feels familiar in many ways but still has its own distinct feel.

KotOR was followed up by a sequel, 2004's KotOR II: The Sith Lords by Obsidian Entertainment, which is also an amazing game but very different in tone. The Sith Lords is probably the better game of the two and holds up better in retrospect, especially with the first game being the origin point of many of the BioWare cliches we know and love today, but the original was still a Big Deal when it came out and was just what Star Wars fans needed at a time when the most recent Star Wars film was Attack of the Clones. The KotOR games were eventually followed up by an MMO called The Old Republic, but we don't talk about that one.

The basic story is still rather familiar to any fan of Star Wars. It is a time of galactic civil war as the Sith, portrayed here as the ancient precursors to the Empire, are terrorizing the galaxy and the Galactic Republic is doomed unless someone manages to defeat the Sith and their seemingly undefeatable fleet led by Darth Malak, who took command after the recent death of his master Darth Revan at the hands of a Jedi strike team. The Jedi who took down Revan, Bastila Shan, is a key part of the Republic's war effort due to her expertise in Battle Meditation, a rare and incredibly powerful Force skill which can completely turn the tide of any battle. As you might expect, the Sith want this power for themselves to land the killing blow on the Republic once and for all. The player character, on the other hand, is no Jedi or war hero. They're a recently recruited Republic soldier, assigned aboard a cruiser named the Endar Spire which just so happens to be transporting Bastila when the game's story kicks off...

KotOR was initially released on the original Xbox and PC, with later ports to Mac, iOS and Android. I am playing the Xbox version on Xbox One X, because the PC version is kind of a pain to record reliably (last time around, I was literally grabbing screenshots in Fraps while playing the game, and I'm NOT doing that again). Playing on BoneX means the game is running at a rendering resolution close to 4K and adds 16x anisotropic filtering, so it looks almost as nice as the PC version and also runs really nicely compared to the often sluggish performance on original Xbox hardware.

This is a light side playthrough with a story focus. In this case, story-focused means that this absolutely should not be used as a guide for any character builds, because despite all the hours I've put into this game I never really learned the best ways to build a character and still make some completely idiotic decisions on that front every so often. I apologize in advance to any D&D fans out there (the game uses the d20 system).

UPDATES

Part 1: The Fallen Spire
Part 2: The Mysterious Stranger
Part 3: Friends in Low Places
Part 4: The Mandalorian
Part 5: Wanted Dead or Alive
Part 6: Ghouls' Night Out
Part 7: Obligatory Sewer Level
Part 8: Super Charger Heaven
Part 9: Queen of the Death Match
Part 10: Wings of the Hawk
Part 11: The Three Trials
Part 12: The Grove
Part 13: Family Feud
Part 14: The Overseer
Part 15: Communication Issues
Part 16: Anchorhead
Part 17: Ghosts of the Sand
Part 18: The Storyteller
Part 19: Family Matters
Part 20: The Madclaw's Return
Part 21: The Ritual Beast
Part 22: Behavioral Reconfiguration
Part 23: Post-Kashyyyk Roundup
Part 24: The Sith Academy
Part 25: The Double-Double-Double-Cross
Part 26: Valley of the Dark Lords
Part 27: Something Left of Me to Save
Part 28: The Leviathan's Prey
Part 29: A Shattered Memory
Part 30: The Aftermath
Part 31: Let's Break KotOR
Part 32: Riddles in the Light
Part 33: Sunry vs. The Sith Empire
Part 34: Ahto Confidential
Part 35: The Verdict
Part 36: Minor Diplomatic Incident
Part 37: Deep Fear
Part 38: Deep Hurting
Part 39: Unknown World
Part 40: Council of Elders
Part 41: The Temple Summit
Part 42 (FINAL): The Star Forge

:wookie:

DMorbid fucked around with this message at 05:36 on Mar 11, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

Part 1: The Fallen Spire

I miss these guys. They made or at least published some of my all-time favorite games.

I miss these guys as well. They also made some of my all-time favorite games. Yes, I know BioWare is still around, but in such a sorry state that I'd rather pretend they weren't.

The Xbox version has this FMV at the start. I believe this was the game's launch trailer, and like all trailers it's rife with spoilers so I'm not showing it. It was removed from the PC version for whatever reason, and before KotOR showed up on the Xbone backwards compatibility list I had not seen this trailer in well over a decade.

Anyway, welcome to Knights of the Old Republic. There was an Xbox-exclusive Press Start screen, but I cut that out because who cares. Let's do this! First off, we're gonna have to create a character. A lot of the commentary in this section is carried over from my original LP, but I've made changes wherever I've felt like it.

There are three character classes in KotOR, all of them available for both male and female characters. We're picking the latter for this LP for no particular reason. The canon main character is male, but having seen what the Old Republic MMO and its tie-ins did with the story of this game and the sequel I'm more than happy to toss the official canon out of the nearest airlock.

Soldier is obviously the tank of the bunch, with a ton of health and great attack and defense stats. They don't get many skills or feats to play with, though, so they're boring and only good for killing things. Scout is the middle of the road type of guy, decent at everything but doesn't shine at any particular area. They do, however, get access to stat-boosting implants from the start. As I tend to roll rogue-type characters in RPGs, with a focus on talking my way out of trouble, we're picking Scoundrel as our starting class. Scoundrels have the lowest combat stats, but make up for it with their versatile skill set.

Strangely, it's the Scout that starts off dressing up like Han Solo, instead of the Scoundrel like you'd expect. From what I recall, old Star Wars expanded universe stuff made that outfit into the official Corellian smuggler uniform or some nonsense like that.

If you want to, you can simply pick the Quick Character option to get straight into the action. Obviously, we're not picking that because we want to set everything up ourselves, but the option is there.

There's a decent number of appearance options for both genders, although a lot of them look pretty crummy nowadays and weren't all that great in 2003 either. This Asian female character model is perhaps my favorite in the game, so we're choosing that one. Sadly, there is no customization of any sort, so the appearance you pick is what you'll be stuck with.

If you're having trouble understanding all the RPG stuff, the game has these handy tutorial popups. They can also be disabled if you prefer.

Here's our stats sheet. You can click Recommended to distribute the 30 available attribute points in a way the game deems optimal. I usually do that and then fine-tune the stats to my liking instead of putting all the points in manually. In this case, I've gone for a DEX/WIS/CHA build, as that'll suit our character quite nicely. KotOR uses the d20 system from the third edition of Dungeons & Dragons, but no knowledge of D&D is needed to play the game as it explains itself quite well. Full disclosure: I've never played D&D in my life and don't know all that much about the deeper workings of the d20 mechanics, so you should not expect this LP to double as a minmaxing guide or anything like that.

I'll admit 10 STR is a bit worrying, but we'll find various ways to increase that as the game progresses. 10 INT, on the other hand, is perfectly fine because 10 is the cutoff point for the extra skill points you get as a Scout or Scoundrel.

Having set our attributes, next up are our skills. As the game is explaining here, skill use is all based on your skill ranks, the appropriate modifiers from your attributes, and d20 rolls.

So, let's see what we've got. The recommended skill point allocation focuses heavily on Demolitions (setting/disarming mines) and Stealth, but I am never going to use Stealth and don't need Demolitions just yet so I just put a bunch of points to Persuade and Security instead. I also put a few points into Computer Use and Repair (which are cross-class skills and therefore require two points for each rank), because those are always useful.

Next up, we've got feats. The game explains them better than I ever could with that popup.

We start with a number of feats already unlocked at character generation, and annoyingly they don't all fit in a single window. Armor Proficiency: Light means our character can equip light armor; Critical Strike increases your melee attack's Critical Threat range and can stun enemies unless they make a successful Fortitude save; Sniper Shot is Critical Strike for ranged weapons; Weapon Proficiency: Blaster Pistol and Weapon Proficiency: Melee Weapons means our character can equip blaster pistols and melee weapons respectively (as you probably already figured out); and Sneak Attack I is the first level of a Scoundrel feat that adds extra damage to attacks against stunned or immobilized enemies. Finally, there's Scoundrel's Luck, which grants a passive defense bonus (+2 at the initial rank).

I add Flurry to my combat feats. Critical Strike is going to be our main combat feat as it can stun enemies and allow us to get in a sneak attack for extra damage, but being able to make an extra melee attack during a turn is nothing to sneeze at either and can wreck trash mobs. The problem with Flurry is the hefty Defense and Attack penalties at the first rank, as we'll leave ourselves kind of open and will also whiff a lot until our Attack modifier is sufficiently high to offset the penalty and we unlock Improved/Master Flurry to reduce the penalty.

Finally, we have to decide on a name for our character. Since I have no imagination, I'll just let the randomizer do its thing. This particular name is definitely not going to cut it, though, so let's press the Y button another 439 times.

I was tempted to go with this one, but didn't want the Brinstar theme from the original Metroid to be stuck in my head for the entirety of the LP.

About 742 Y button presses (and many suggestions that incorporate existing Star Wars names such as Leia, Padme, Mothma, and Mara) later, I got one I found decent. I didn't want to spend any more time in this screen than I already had, so Zila Galcyon it is. Of course, now I'm going to have that one Orbital song stuck in my head instead of the Brinstar theme, but I can deal with that.

So, that's our initial character. 7 HP isn't great and our Fortitude sucks, as does Will to a slightly smaller extent, but we'll manage. At least we are reasonably hard to hit, even if we will eat poo poo pretty much as soon as something worse than a stiff breeze manages to hit us. But now that that's done, it's time to start the show!

A very, very long time ago.

VIDEO: Opening Crawl and Intro Scene (not my upload because I don't want Mickey Mouse to show up at my door and break my kneecaps)

Four thousand years before
the rise of the Galactic
Empire, the Republic verges
on collapse. DARTH MALAK,
last surviving apprentice of
the Dark Lord Revan, has
unleashed an invincible
Sith armada upon an
unsuspecting galaxy.

Crushing all resistance,
Malak's war of conquest
has left the Jedi Order
scattered and vulnerable
as countless Knights fall in
battle, and many more
swear allegiance to the new
Sith Master.

In the skies above the Outer
Rim world of Taris, a Jedi
battle fleet engages the
forces of Darth Malak in a
desperate effort to halt the
Sith's galactic domination....

As the opening crawl mentioned, a space battle between the Republic and the Sith rages on above the Outer Rim planet of Taris. What looks to be a Republic capital ship is under heavy fire from Sith fighters.

That... is less than ideal.

The crippled capital ship begins a slow descent towards the planet below.

Meanwhile, aboard the ship, Republic soldier Zila Galcyon is resting in her quarters after a shift.

The explosion we saw in the FMV shakes the entire ship, waking Zila from her sleep.

Pictured: more convincing "I just woke up" facial animation than we saw in Mass Effect: Andromeda.

Just as Zila gets up and is trying to figure out what's happening, a fellow soldier enters her quarters.

Slow down, champ. First off, we have no idea who this is.

We tell him as much. We can also ask about the Endar Spire, but that'd be silly because surely Zila knows the name of the Republic cruiser she's stationed on.

Trask here is Zila's bunk mate and she's never seen him until now. Sure. Apparently, the soldiers' quarters on Republic ships are co-ed as well, which seems a bit irregular.

Zila doesn't know who Bastila is either, so hopefully Trask can fill us in.

One of our primary duties is to guarantee her survival in the event of enemy attack! You swore an oath just like everyone else on this mission. Now it's time to make good on that oath! I know all about your reputation, how you used to smuggle spice and blasters along the Corellian Run. I guess the Republic figured since they couldn't catch you, they might as well hire you. And I'll admit, the Republic is in desperate need of someone with your kind of skills. Desperate enough to overlook your shady past. But now that you've signed on for this mission you're part of the Republic fleet. And Bastila needs all troops at her side during this attack!

Okay, jeez. I was just asking. At least we got some of Zila's backstory in that spiel.

Since we are Republic soldiers here, we should do our job instead of complaining so let's get on with it.

Right, let's find our equipment then.

We also get the first entry in our quest journal. I probably won't be showing the journal all the time, but since this is the first update I thought I should at least take a look at it.

The footlocker in our quarters contains our gear, all of which sadly doesn't fit in the window. We also get a computer spike (used for hacking), a security spike (for picking locks, although our Security skill is more than enough for any locked doors we might encounter at this time), and two medpacs. Regular medpacs heal 10 HP + Wisdom modifier + our Treat Injury rank.

Let's just equip our clothes and blaster pistol. That is all we have in terms of equipment right now, but since we're here we might as well go over the different equipment slots. In the top row we've got slots for implants, headgear and gloves, the middle row has the body armor slot and one energy shield slot for each arm, and the bottom row has weapon and belt slots.

By default, the Party Inventory screen shows all items you've got. Since there is no carry limit that I know of, this tab will get very cluttered unless you use one of the sorting options.

The Character tab. Nothing super exciting here at this point, but might as well show it off for posterity. We've gained a grand total of 50 XP, which we earned by retrieving our gear from the footlocker. The Scripts option lets you choose from a few AI presets for your party members, but we'll take a look at that when it becomes a bit more relevant.

Alright, looking good. Hey Trask, check us out!

We should stick together; you'll have more success with a party than on your own.

And so, Trask joins us as our first party member!

We can have two party members following us around, and this screen is where you choose them. Obviously, at this point we only have Trask.

I know it's supposed to be the tutorial and all, but this just sounds awkward. Why not just say "Let me unlock the door"?

Anyway, let's take a look at Trask before we use him to unlock the door. He doesn't have any cool equipment for us to steal.

Here's Trask's character tab. We can see he's got a good amount of health, which will come in useful because Zila is made of paper at this point. I forgot to look at his skills and feats, but it doesn't really matter because he's not going to stick around for very long.

The right shoulder button (or the black button if you're on an original Xbox) switches party members. Right, Trask, get that door open!

Trask doesn't want to lead for some reason. Maybe he's just one of those people who prefers taking orders to giving them.

Okay then, let's move out.

We manage to take about three steps before we're interrupted by a message from Carth here. He wants us on the bridge, stat.

If he says things are bad, you better believe it. We have to get to the bridge to help defend Bastila! There's a map of the Endar Spire and a copy of Carth's message in your electronic journal, just in case we get separated.

Let's move out.

The white button, or the left shoulder button on later Xbox controllers, pauses the game, letting us issue commands to our party members without pressure. I totally meant to press the button here to show off the tutorial, I wasn't just pressing buttons randomly because I forgot which button did what.

Same here, obviously. In combat, we can queue up multiple actions such as combat feats or items, and Y is used for clearing queued actions.

Then there's Solo Mode. Make your own Han Solo or even Ben Solo jokes if you feel like it. Solo Mode lets you wander around as one of your party members while the rest stay behind, which can be useful for things like stealth or disarming mines but isn't really something you'd use all that often.

Alright, with all that out of the way, let's finally get going.

Wait, how is that door locked? That's the only way to our quarters, and presumably Trask came through that same door to get to us! Did he lock it behind him or something?

If I didn't know better, I'd assume there is no Sith ambush and Trask just woke us up because he realized he locked himself out of the rest of the ship.

In the next hallway, we encounter a Republic soldier fighting two Sith troopers.

Naturally, he gets gunned down.

Trask Ulgo, a true patriot. :911:

It's our first combat encounter, and that means more tutorials. While we can move around in combat, all the actual mechanics are based on dice rolls. Moving will also cancel your current combat action, so it's probably not a good idea to run around like a headless chicken.

These Sith go down easily, even with our crummy starting weapons and stats. If they get a couple of lucky hits in, they can take down Zila pretty quickly due to her abysmal HP pool but Trask should still be able to tank his way through each encounter at this point.

As we loot one of the dead Sith, we get to see a power conduit explode and take a utilty droid with it. There are many random explosions going on during this section, but all of them are purely for show.

KotOR had to run on the original Xbox, so the maps are split into smaller chunks with load screens in between. The game also autosaves on many zone transitions, but not all of them so you should save manually pretty often. Saving manually and in different slots is also recommended in general because this game can be somewhat glitchy, especially on Xbox. Of course, you don't need me to tell you that you should save often and in different slots. You've played CRPGs before, right? If you have fewer than 30 save files, you're doing it wrong.

Unsurprisingly, the next area contains more Sith trying to blast us. This one actually manages to land a hit, but fortunately it's only for 2 HP.

This footlocker contains a couple of swords and some frag grenades.

More importantly, it also contains a combat suit. More defense is very much appreciated.

Pushing forward, we run into more Republic and Sith soldiers engaged in combat.

One of the Republic soldiers gets unceremoniously blown up.

Another falls victim to this Sith trooper's double-bladed vibrosword.

As it turns out, the Sith don't care if one of their own guys gets blown up by a frag grenade along with the Republic soldiers.

We should probably heal just in case.

Since we do have some grenades and those Sith are grouped up like that, I think we all know what to do here.

Nice. Trask will easily mop up the survivors.

Oh look, more Sith soldiers. Seems to be a running theme. Nothing special about these guys, so we'll move on to the next door.

Yes, staying back does seem like a good idea in this situation. I wouldn't worry about getting in the way so much as getting chopped to bits by the Sith's lightsaber.

As we look on, the Jedi manages to slay her Sith opponent. Nice work, maybe she could tell us where to find Bastila, and even if she can't it'd still be handy to have a Jedi on our side.

Er... never mind then.

Maybe we could still retrieve her lightsaber? We're not trained or anything, but I'm sure we could still take down some Sith with it.

Sadly, no lightsaber for us. Must have been destroyed in the explosion. We do manage to find a vibration cell, which is a melee weapon upgrade part. Adrenal Strength, on the other hand, is a stimulant that boosts our strength temporarily. Stimulants are fairly easy to come by and the boosts they provide are very useful, so injecting yourself with enough drugs to kill a bantha is a viable strategy for many fights.

We've finally reached the bridge, so let's just head through this door and see what's waiting for us on the other side.

I should equip a melee weapon, too. Either that, or I'll have to stay back and use my blaster.

What if they have lightsabers?

Your melee weapon is made using a cortosis weave. It's strong enough to stand up against anything, even a lightsaber.

Ah, of course. Cortosis, the rare and super resistant metal that appears frequently in the Star Wars EU. It clearly wasn't that rare in 3,956 BBY, so all melee weapons we get our hands on are made using a cortosis weave.

Unfortunately, our pitiful STR means our noodle arms can barely lift a sword, let alone hit anything with it. Still, we'll equip the long sword because Trask won't let us progress if we don't equip a melee weapon.

Despite our lack of strength, we manage to do a decent amount of damage with the long sword and gain a level in the process. Leveling up restores all your health, so it can sometimes save your rear end.

The Sith want Bastila alive, but once she's off the ship there's nothing stopping them from blasting the Endar Spire into galactic dust!

Of course she wasn't on the bridge, that would've been too easy. And since Bastila's no longer on board, the Sith might blow up this hunk of junk any second now. Yep, escape pods it is.

You can let the game handle levelups if you prefer. Obviously, we won't do that for Zila because we want to have full control over her attributes, skills, and feats, but the auto level up feature can be handy for leveling up your other party members.

Grabbing another rank of Computer Use, as well as a couple of Awareness ranks.

For my level 2 feat, I select Two-Weapon Fighting because, well, I want to specialize in two-weapon fighting. Essentially, this means our attacks will whiff more often, but will dispatch enemies very quickly when they hit. Reducing the Attack penalty from dual-wielding applies to both melee and ranged, and the penalty is reduced further as you unlock the higher ranks of this feat.

I originally took some really lovely feats here, so I rerolled my character and got these instead. The rest of this update is from the original recording, but I just decided to show off the feats we're actually using for the playthrough.

The ship is still spinning out of control as the battle rages on outside. There is nothing we can do, so we'd better stop admiring the view and abandon ship before we go down with it.

So, off we go.

Yes, there usually is something behind a door. Excellent observation, Trask.

Okay, that is bad.

Was that Sith just going to stand in that tiny hallway and wait for someone to show up? What would've happened if Trask hadn't opened the door? That is not the way to the escape pods!

We may never know. However, what we do know is that Trask is toast. He certainly didn't need to heroically sacrifice himself so we could live, because again he could've just ignored that door and let Darth Whatever stand there like an idiot until the Endar Spire blows up, but that's just not how Trask rolls. He's going to sacrifice himself and that's that.

No time to mourn Trask even if we cared, because we need to get going.

Bastila's escape pod is away - you're the last surviving crew member of the Endar Spire! I can't wait for you much longer; you have to get to the escape pods!

Working on it, Carth!

Naturally, there are plenty of hostile Sith soldiers between us and Carth, and we're now on our own so we can't rely on Trask's bundles of HP any longer. I've actually managed to get a game over here on a previous playthrough, because you still don't have a lot of HP as a scoundrel and I think I also forgot to equip the combat suit.

I've played through this section more times than I can be bothered to count, and it definitely doesn't get more exciting on each playthrough.

You could reprogram the damaged assault droid to help you, if you have enough repair parts. Or you could use computer spikes to slice into the terminal and use the Endar Spire's security systems against the Sith.

Eh, it's just a few Sith. I'm sure we could take them. We've been doing fine thus far.

But since we have these computer spikes and repair parts, we might as well take a look.

First, the security console. Let's see what we are dealing with here.

Okay, that's not so good. Four regular troopers, and an elite trooper or officer of some sort in the red armor. For some reason, I thought for the longest time that the red-armored Sith just had the regular silver armor on the Xbox version, but clearly that is not the case.

Anyway, I'm going to hold on to my computer spikes because we'll need them later, so let's fix this droid instead.

We could activate the droid's shields with another four repair parts, but I'd rather hold on to those as well. Just engaging patrol mode is more than enough to handle the Sith in the next room.

Alright, droid, do your thing.

The droid proceeds to do its thing, quite efficiently too. We'd have gotten some extra XP if we had used the console to overload the conduit AND repaired the droid with the parts, but not so much that it'd have been worth all those computer spikes.

The Sith in the red armor had an ion blaster, which is normally useful against droids but didn't help him so much. He also had a prototype vibroblade, which is an upgrade over our long sword because it can be modified. We did pick up that vibration cell earlier, so we'll shove that into the vibroblade as soon as we can find a workbench.

Oh, hey Carth.

Bastila's escape pod's already gone, so there's no reason for us to stick around here and get shot by the Sith. Now come on - there'll be time for questions later!

Carth makes a good point. That is a sentence you will not see many times in these updates, but there it is.

For some reason, the game gives us an option to step away from the escape pod. I assume that's just in case you forgot to pick up some items or something, but I've never felt the need to use it. It'd be funny if choosing that option caused an instant game over, but I don't think it does that either.

Somehow, we've escaped the Endar Spire with our lives.

The Spire itself has fallen.

VIDEO: Crash Landing

While we may have gotten off the ship, that is still a very hard landing because some idiot decided to put a building in our way. Next time, we'll start our search for Bastila if the crash didn't kill us.

DMorbid fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Jan 11, 2020

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
You should make a new character with the last name Ulgo so that we can really feel the loss from the death of a deep character we've grown connected to.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

You know, having played D&D, watching you take a skill feat and then toughness in quick succession is a very painful experience.

E: It's been like ten years since I played KOTOR. I can't remember, do you get Feats more often than in D&D?

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

Night10194 posted:

You know, having played D&D, watching you take a skill feat and then toughness in quick succession is a very painful experience.
Sorry about that. :eng99: I usually take a combat feat at the start and really have no idea why I chose Empathy this time, aside from the obvious reason of me being a complete moron. It doesn't matter that much anyway because this game is not difficult.

That said, now that you mention it I'm kinda tempted to start over and actually pick something sensible for those first feats this time. The only problem there is that I've already recorded about three hours of gameplay so far, although if I were to start over I'd of course be able to skip through dialogue and that kind of stuff so it'd be a lot faster.

quote:

E: It's been like ten years since I played KOTOR. I can't remember, do you get Feats more often than in D&D?
How often you get feats is apparently based on your character class. If I'm getting this right, Soldiers get feats every time they level up whereas Scouts and especially Scoundrels get them less often.

DMorbid fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Dec 22, 2019

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
Kotor save editor is super cool, and works on both games. Dunno how hard it is to port saves to and from the xbox version to make it work.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

If you will not serve in combat, you will serve on the firing line!

Worth pointing out that the Saga Star Wars RPG used the D20 Modern rules rather than the 3.5 ones. I know the former has at least some differences to the latter but I can't remember all that many outside of the different health system.
Even if KOTOR then throws most of that out the airlock.

mateo360
Mar 20, 2012

TOO MANY PEOPLE MERLOCK!
ONLY ONE DIJON!
Oh hey, and no GMArcturus to get pissy at you this time :V

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

FoolyCharged posted:

Kotor save editor is super cool, and works on both games. Dunno how hard it is to port saves to and from the xbox version to make it work.
I think the save editor itself would work on the Xbox version, but the actual saves for backwards compatible Xbox and Xbox 360 games are stored on the Microsoft cloud so getting access to those is probably going to be difficult if not impossible.

mateo360 posted:

Oh hey, and no GMArcturus to get pissy at you this time :V
My original LP of this wasn't very good and I realized it wasn't working out (playing the restored content mod was a big mistake because all of that stuff was cut for a reason), so he kinda did me a favor by giving me an excuse to abandon it. Now that I've got more experience with SSLPs, I can actually give it a proper go. Well, it'd also help if I was vaguely competent at the game itself, but at least I now know how to put together an LP! :v:

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Ahh, KOTOR.

I still consider it one of the greats for this era, but... In hindsight, it’s also where the BioWare Standard Party trope really started to solidify with the rest of their RPGs going forward. That, and... Well, without getting into spoilers, the morality choices are fairly on the simplistic side (though not quite to the extent as, say, the Bethesda Fallout games).

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013
Ahh, KOTOR. A game I have many fond memories of. I remember first time going through..

Also, why is my first thought that the ship is at battle stations, disabled, being boarded, and we're apparently sleeping through it and barely wake up in time?

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

The real explanation is that the PC went beyond blackout drunk with smuggled booze after they got off of their last shift, which explains why they need to have stuff that they should already know explained to them. :v:

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

I've replayed the first couple of hours of the game, and this time my build choices are a bit more sensible at least in the long term. That being said, Zila is now even less durable than she was the first time around, so if I get the opportunity I'll probably grab at least one rank of Toughness later on because we are going to need that extra HP at some point.

Siegkrow
Oct 11, 2013

Arguing about Lore for 5 years and counting

FOUR YEARS???

mateo360
Mar 20, 2012

TOO MANY PEOPLE MERLOCK!
ONLY ONE DIJON!

Siegkrow posted:

FOUR YEARS???

Yep, just before The Force Awakens came out.

Fivemarks
Feb 21, 2015
Urgh. Why does every LP of KOTOR have to go with a female scoundrel? What next, you're going Dark Side too?

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

Fivemarks posted:

Urgh. Why does every LP of KOTOR have to go with a female scoundrel? What next, you're going Dark Side too?
I already said this is a light side playthrough!

As for why every LP of KotOR has a female scoundrel as the main character, I have no idea because I've never really watched or read any of them (or, to be more specific, I always lose interest after the first episode because they're always dark side playthroughs and I don't have any interest in watching some rear end in a top hat shake down every inhabitant of the galaxy for their lunch money). I always roll a scoundrel character because their skillset is more interesting than the basic meathead soldier or whatever the scout is supposed to be, and I chose a female character because my previous one (not the one in the abandoned LP) was a dude. I guess I could always start over as a male soldier! (I will not start over as a male soldier)

DMorbid fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Dec 22, 2019

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I get my fun here. Enjoy!
Join the Dark Side, Doc M! We have cookies!

Seriously, I agree with you that the way this game does Dark Side is kinda bleah. You'd think the real Dark Side would be more subtle and less cliched.

achtungnight fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Dec 22, 2019

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Fivemarks posted:

Please do not be That Guy. The last time the OP tried to show off this game is was derailed by That Guy, who was then perma’d for being terminal levels of That Guy.

Thank you.

E: I’ve been informed he was in fact not permabanned and merely left in a huff of his own volition. Still, Don’t Be That Guy :eng101:

nine-gear crow fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Dec 22, 2019

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Groetgaffel smacked the living shit out of himself doing 297 points of damage.
Ah, KotOR, one of my all time favourite games.
I admit, I like the sequel better, but this one is still very good.

Also RIP in peace the good Bioware of old.

Grizzwold
Jan 27, 2012

Posters off the pork bow!

Doc M posted:

I've replayed the first couple of hours of the game, and this time my build choices are a bit more sensible at least in the long term. That being said, Zila is now even less durable than she was the first time around, so if I get the opportunity I'll probably grab at least one rank of Toughness later on because we are going to need that extra HP at some point.

This is one of the reasons that I'm glad KoTOR 2 starts your PC off with a feat that gives them iirc, around 25 extra HP at the beginning of the game. I tend to gravitate towards the classes with lots of skills and being made of wet cardboard's not a very fun tradeoff.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

Agreed on the Dark Side choices for most of this game being one of the things that aged the worst about it. As it turns out, being a dick for the sake of being a dick makes for a not particularly compelling character.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Regalingualius posted:

Agreed on the Dark Side choices for most of this game being one of the things that aged the worst about it. As it turns out, being a dick for the sake of being a dick makes for a not particularly compelling character.

The same can be said for the path of the closed fist in Jade Empire.
Or the ones in Neverwinter Nights for that part.

I feel there is a running theme here. :v:

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Regalingualius posted:

It kind of took BioWare till at least Mass Effect 2 to make the Dark Side of its morality slider interesting. Largely because it let you be a funny rear end in a top hat instead of just a complete rear end in a top hat.

Fivemarks
Feb 21, 2015

nine-gear crow posted:

Please do not be That Guy. The last time the OP tried to show off this game is was derailed by That Guy, who was then perma’d for being terminal levels of That Guy.

Thank you.

E: I’ve been informed he was in fact not permabanned and merely left in a huff of his own volition. Still, Don’t Be That Guy :eng101:

I believe I'm overreacting because of how bad Woolie's playthrough of KOTOR was.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

nine-gear crow posted:

It kind of took BioWare till at least Mass Effect 2 to make the Dark Side of its morality slider interesting. Largely because it let you be a funny rear end in a top hat instead of just a complete rear end in a top hat.

I mean, I do think that even this game has at least one genuinely decent (albeit completely optional) moral quandary later on. But that’s for another time, and I still agree that most of the rest of the Dark Side options are just being blandly evil.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Fivemarks posted:

Short version?
Dps, tanks* and wizards Jedi are a dime a dozen and you've got good party members for those slots.
Now, the skillmonkey? You need one in the party 24/7, so you might as well be one. Sneak attack gives decent damage output anyways and doubling up with a rogue NPC is not that redundant.

*not that it's possible to tank under the 3.5 ruleset but whatever

achtungnight posted:

Seriously, I agree with you that the way this game does Dark Side is kinda bleah. You'd think the real Dark Side would be more subtle and less cliched.
I'd have agreed with you some years ago. Now, I find the Siths (and the Dark Side) being slightly smarter versions of Trump the most believable part of the setting.

E: but I do agree that the :moreevil: faction should be written with a touch more nuance and subtlety.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Which we did get in KOTOR2 somewhat and then that got declared non-canon because it was too much shades of grey where it was always going to be black and white. :v:

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

The Dark Side being written as Generic Evil Jerkoff is really kinda lame given what Darth Revan's actual shtick was, and discussing that is probably spoilers

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Also you're the only one in the game who can use Persuade, and Scoundrels are good at it. Plus, Sneak Attack and their innate AC bonus are actually quite good.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
Yeah, it's not just that you need a skill monkey and it might as well be the PC, it's that almost all of the important skill checks can only be done by the PC.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

Part 2: The Mysterious Stranger

Alright, before we get started, I should note that I've rerolled my character because the feats we picked in the last update were pretty dumb. I also decided to move two points from Constitution to Strength, because we do want to be at least vaguely competent at melee combat early on. We'll be doing a lot of it, even though at this stage I'll mostly be using blasters since their Attack modifier is based on our DEX. The feats I took this time (Flurry and Two-Weapon Fighting) have been added to the first update.

With that preparation out of the way, let's get back to where we were.

We seem to have found a bed and are moving, which would imply we weren't killed when our escape pod crashed. That's good news at least, even if Zila seems to be having bad dreams judging from the way she's thrashing about.

VIDEO: A Strange Dream

Well, perhaps not bad dreams per se, but certainly strange dreams.

Zila stirs awake, unsure what to make of her dream about lightsaber fights.

I'm Carth, one of the Republic soldiers from the Endar Spire. l was with you on the escape pod, do you remember?

Of course we remember. Who could forget Carth?

We're in an abandoned apartment on the planet of Taris. You were banged up pretty bad when our escape pod crashed, but luckily I wasn't seriously hurt. l was able to drag you away from our crash site in all the confusion, and I stumbled onto this abandoned apartment. By the time the Sith arrived on the scene we were long gone.

I guess I owe you my life. Thanks.

You don't have to thank me. I've never abandoned anyone on a mission, and I'm not about to start now. Besides, I'm going to need your help. Taris is under Sith control. Their fleet is orbiting the planet, they've declared martial law and they've imposed a planet-wide quarantine. But I've been in worse spots. I saw on your service records that you understand a remarkable number of alien languages. That's pretty rare in a raw recruit, but it should come in handy while we're stranded on a foreign world. There's no way the Republic will be able to get anyone through the Sith blockade to help us. If we're going to find Bastila and get off this planet, we can't rely on anybody but ourselves.

I don't know, Carth. That does sound like a pretty bad spot. Still, at least we can make some use of our extensive alien language skills we've picked up in our travels around the Outer Rim.

Zila still isn't sure why Bastila is so important. We know she was our commanding officer on the Endar Spire, but we just lost the entire crew of that ship. Certainly, it'd suck if she died, but what's the big deal about her that makes it so crucial for us to find her?

Bastila is the key to the whole Republic war effort. The Sith must have found out she was on the Endar Spire and set an ambush for us in this system. I believe Bastila was on one of the escape pods that crashed down here on Taris. For the sake of the Republic war effort, we have to try and find her.

How can one person, even a Jedi, be so important?

Bastila is no ordinary Jedi. She has a rare gift the Jedi call Battle Meditation. Bastila's power can influence entire armies. Through the Force Bastila can inspire her allies with confidence and make her enemies lose their will to fight. Often, that's all it takes to tip the balance in a battle. Of course, there are limits to what she can do. But from what I understand of her ability, it requires great concentration and focus to maintain her Battle Meditation. The attack on the Endar Spire happened so fast she never had a chance to use her Battle Meditation. Like us, she barely got out alive.

Battle Meditation is a Force power in KotOR II, but in that game it can be used instantly in any fight. Presumably, that version of the power is much weaker than what Bastila is capable of, and consequently doesn't require as much effort.

Nobody will be looking for a couple of common soldiers like us. And if we're careful we can move about the planet without attracting notice; a luxury Bastila won't have. She's going to have half the Sith fleet looking for her. They know how important she is to the war effort. The whole planet is under quarantine. No ships can land or take-off. So if Bastila's going to escape Taris, she's going to need our help. And we'll probably need hers.

Having a Jedi with us would certainly help, although we're not sure how we are supposed to get off this rock with the Sith quarantine in place. Somehow, I doubt they'd let us leave if we asked nicely.

While you were out I did some scouting around. There are reports of a couple escape pods crashing down into the Undercity. That's probably a good place to start. But the Undercity is a dangerous place. We don't want to go in there unprepared. It won't do Bastila any good if we go and get ourselves killed.

Not much to go on, but it's a lead so we might as well follow it and see where it gets us.

First off, though, let's ask Carth a couple of questions. This is completely optional, but learning a bit more about the game's backstory and the planet we're on is always useful.

I'll tell you whatever I can, though I...l don't know how much help it'll be.

What do you know about Malak and the Sith?

Everything I know about Malak is pretty much common knowledge. He escaped the trap that killed Darth Revan, his Sith Master. With Revan's death, Malak became the new Dark Lord. It's obvious that Malak's a ruthless tyrant who'll crush anyone who stands in his way... just like Revan was. Experience has shown that the Sith won't stop until the Republic lies in ruins. Malak and his Sith don't respect anything except raw, brutal power. It's hard to imagine how someone who used to be a Jedi could become such a monster!

A Jedi? What do you mean?

Malak and Revan were once both part of the Jedi Order, but they were young and headstrong. And against the wishes of the Council they went to battle the Mandalorians on the Outer Rim. Something happened out there. Something corrupted them and drew them over to the dark side. Or maybe there was something rotten inside them all along. I don't know. They formed an army of ex-Republic soldiers and Jedi who had fallen to the dark side, with Revan at their head... until Revan was killed by Bastila's Jedi strike team.

The Mandalorian Wars and Revan and Malak's role in them are explored in more detail in KotOR II. We'll get some more lore about that period in this game as well, but KotOR II is where it really gets fleshed out.

"Or was it the Outer Wilds? I always get those two confused."

Taris was once a magnificent planet-wide metropolis of towering skyscrapers. But that was a long time ago. The Upper City, where the rich citizens live, is...is still pretty safe. If it wasn't for the Sith occupation and the planet-wide quarantine it might not even be that bad a place to live. But farther down things have degenerated. The...the Lower City is nothing but a slum overrun by swoop-bike gangs waging a never-ending war for control. And the Undercity is, well, even worse. The lowest level of Taris is a wasteland overrun by rakghouls; mindless, diseased mutants that attack on sight. I've already entered all this info into your data-pad journal.

And of course, we're heading to the Undercity at the first opportunity.

I understand why you want to know more about me; l...l kinda get the feeling we'll be spending a lot of time together over the next while. But this isn't really the best time for long introductions; we should stay focused on the task at hand. There'll be time for that later.

Fair enough. We can always learn more about Carth later on.

Good idea. We can use this abandoned apartment as a base, and we can probably get some equipment and supplies here in the Upper City. Just remember to keep a low profile.

Somehow, I get the feeling that trouble's going to find us no matter how hard we try to keep a low profile. That's how these things tend to go.

But I figure if we don't do anything stupid we should be okay. I mean, after all, they're... they're looking for Bastila, not a couple of grunts like us. Alright, soldier, let's move out.

We would prefer to keep our mind where it is, so we'll be careful.

The abandoned apartment will serve as our home base on Taris. There's not much of interest in the apartment, just this locker and the workbench next to it.

We did pick up that vibration cell earlier, so let's go ahead and put that in our prototype vibroblade.

Obviously, we can also upgrade other weapons and armor, but those options are greyed out since we don't have the necessary components.

A nice +1 bonus to damage, bringing the total damage bonus of our vibroblade to +2. Nothing spectacular, but every bit helps.

That's all we can do here, so let's head out.

I like how he just stares at you in this shot. "drat right you will have to take me, and there's nothing you can do about it!" We wouldn't leave him behind even if we could, though. Carth is not a fan favorite character, to say the least, but I don't mind him. Besides, another party member fighting alongside us always comes in handy.

So, let's take Carth along and get going.

Oh, fantastic. We get out of the apartment and can't even take two steps without running straight into a Sith officer.

One of the Duros talks back to the Sith.

That turns out to be a bad idea.

They're Republic fugitives! Attack!

So much for keeping a low profile, I suppose.

We could end this fight instantly by tossing a grenade at the Sith and his droid friends, but they're so weak anyway that there is really no reason to do so.

Hell, the surviving Duros manages to land the killing blow. That's some nice XP, by the way.

This isn't the first time the Sith have come here to cause trouble for us, but hopefully it will be the last.

Won't someone come searching for this patrol?

Don't worry about the bodies. I will move them so it looks like they were killed elsewhere. That should throw the Sith off the track. With any luck, they won't be bothering us again for a while.

The Sith officer has some decent loot on him, including a bunch of grenades and stimulants as well as a blaster rifle. The blaster rifle is an upgrade over our basic blaster pistol and has increased range, but it also sells for 120 credits so I'm going to offload it the first chance I get.

We can enter the various apartments in the complex, but most of them don't have anything exciting. So, we'll ignore them for now and have a chat with this Twi'lek instead.

Gotta love those dialogue options. Either you're an overly formal goober or a petulant 5-year-old. But yes, this is Larrim and he runs a store here at the apartments.

Might as well hear the sales pitch. We could just tell him we know everything we need to know about energy shields, but he's actually got some pretty interesting lore for us so we'll give it a listen.

When you use one it surrounds you with a radiant aura-particle mesh that absorbs blaster bolts. Pretty handy in a fight. The shield even protects against Iightsabers, or so I hear. The shields aren't perfect, of course. They can only absorb so much energy damage before they burn out, and ion blasters will take your basic dueling shield down pretty quick.

And I can tell you from experience that they aren't any good at all against a simple vibroblade. That's why the Republic has been training soldiers in hand-to-hand and melee combat.

I've heard rumors of the Echani using shields like this, but I never saw anything like them around here. Not until the Sith came. Where they discovered the technology is anybody's guess. The shields are too rare and too expensive to hand out to an entire army, but a shielded strike team can take out a whole battalion of soliders armed with conventional blasters. It gave the Sith a huge edge in the early battles, but it wasn't long before the Republic was able to copy the technology and come up with energy shields of their own. Now both sides are scrambling to come up with new weapons to slice right through the shields, but until they do you're going to see melee combat coming back to the forefront in this war.

There we have our explanation why so many people fight with melee weapons in KotOR. It's not just because it's 4,000 years in the past, but also because energy shields are so powerful and prevalent that blasters might not do the trick as effectively as you'd hope. This also means that melee combat might just be a better bet for us as well, since plenty of enemies use energy shields and blasters won't do anything to them for the first few turns. Larrim also mentioned the Echani, who are a warrior race we'll learn more about in the sequel. In KotOR 1, we just get a bunch of Echani gear which is quite fancy.

You want to see what I have in stock? I know my kiosk isn't much to look at, but my prices are reasonable and the merchandise is sound.

Why do you have a kiosk set up here?

I run a little shop here in this old building, selling basic equipment to the illegal aliens renting out these apartments.

You mentioned something about illegal aliens living here.

By law, most aliens aren't allowed to have a residence in the Upper City of Taris. They allow a few of us Twi'leks up here, but for the most part it's humans only. But no self-respecting Upper City human would want to live in the apartments in this dump. So the landlord has been renting out the apartments illegally to aliens. Better than letting them sit empty, I guess. Otherwise you get squatters and peopIe hiding out from the authorities living in the abandoned apartments, and they don't pay rent.

Aren't you worried about getting caught?

The Taris authorities pretty much turned a blind eye to this place. A few illegal aliens just weren't worth the bother. And once the Sith took over, they felt the same way. Besides, I don't live here myself. I just run a small business providing supplies to the residents. You want to see what I have in stock?

Right, so Taris has always been kind of a shithole full of racists, and the Sith just continued along the same lines. I will have to call bullshit on Larrim's claim about the Sith not caring about this place, because we just saw what happened back there with the Duros.

Further along, we run into this gentleman.

Well, alright then. No hard feelings. My name's Kadir. I'm the janitor for this building. You must be the new tenant here, right? I never thought they'd rent that abandoned apartment. Hmmm.... you look like an off-worlder. What happened, you get stuck here because of the quarantine? Can't see any other reason someone would want to rent that old apartment.

I want to ask you some questions.

Don't know how much I can tell you, but seeing as how you're new here I guess I can try and help you out.

Tell me about Taris.

Decent enough place to live, I guess. Except for the lower levels. That's where the swoop gangs hang out. Just stay in the Upper City and you'll be fine. You also might want to check out the cantina. I used to go there when l was younger. Good place to get a drink and find out what's going on in the Upper City.

Where is the cantina?

Just keep following the apartment complex ring until you come to the elevator. It'll take you out to the Upper City streets. From there just head south a ways. You can't miss it.

Kadir finds the Upper City a pretty decent place and doesn't even mention the treatment of the aliens.

Well, the best place to go is probably Kebla Yurt's store. She's right across from the cantina, so you can stop in for a drink if you get thirsty while you're shopping.

What do you think of the Sith and this quarantine?

I prefer to keep to myself, mostly. But there's plenty of people at the cantina who'll be more than happy to tell you what they think about the Sith and their quarantine.

Yeah, he doesn't give a poo poo.

We'll just leave Kadir to his cleaning.

Let's get out of here and check out that cantina. Maybe someone there knows about the escape pods.

KotOR has a limited fast travel mechanic that allows us to instantly travel to our base and back. While the game is telling us the function is disabled in most action and combat areas, that mostly refers to dungeons. Areas such as the Lower City, which as we'll soon see is crawling with swoop gang members, allow us to fast travel just fine and I... might make use of that on a couple of occasions.

Anyway, welcome to the Upper City of Taris. The area is not that massive and only has two main zones, as well as two apartment buildings and a few businesses including the cantina. Just offscreen to the right is our crashed escape pod, but there's nothing to see there so we'll just move on.

Well, we would move on if Carth didn't have something to say.

Yes? What's on your mind?

I'd like to know some more about you, Carth.

Me? Well, I've been a star-pilot for the Republic for years. I've seen more than my share of wars... I fought in the Mandalorian Wars before all this started. But with all that, I've never experienced anything like the slaughter these Sith animals can unleash. Not even the Mandalorians were that senseless. My home world was one of the first planets to fall to Malak's fleet. The Sith bombed it into submission, and there wasn't a drat thing our Republic forces could do to stop them!

I'm sorry, Carth. This must be very painful for you.

I'm just a soldier; I go where the fleet Admirals tell me to. I follow my orders and I do my duty. It just... *sigh* doesn't seem right that doing that means I failed them! I didn't!

Yes. No... no, that's not what I mean. I mean... I'm sorry. I'm not making much sense, am I? You probably mean well with your questions. I'm just not accustomed to talking about my past very much. At all, actually. I'm more used to taking action... keeping my mind focused on the business at hand. So let's just do that. If you have more questions, ask them later.

Oh, we will. We'll be hearing a lot more about Carth and his past as we make our way through the game.

For now, though, we'll head to the cantina. Maybe we won't find out anything about Bastila, but at least we'll be able to get a stiff drink. It's been an extremely rough day.

Cozy. Let's go and introduce ourselves to the nearest person.

Uh, right. Pazaak (not to be confused with sabacc, which is another card game in the Star Wars universe) is the primary minigame of KotOR, and we'll get an introduction to it very soon. That guy in the red shirt, by the way, is the self-styled greatest pazaak player on Taris, and we'll ignore him.

This older guy, on the other hand, we do want to talk to. Well, I normally wouldn't, but this is a special case.

Just fifty credits and I'll sell you all my cards. I'll even throw in a free lesson to boot. It's a great deal, if you can afford it.

See, talking to him and spending 50 credits on his deck is how we get started with pazaak. I'm not going to actually play pazaak, but I do at least want to show it off once.

My name's Garouk. I used to be a card shark - one of the best Pazaak players on the Outer Rim. But that was before I retired from the gambling life.

You're giving up gambling? Why?

Don't get me wrong, the game's been good to me over the years. I've traveled the span of the galaxy, from the Core Worlds to the farthest reaches of the Outer Rim. I've won countless fortunes... and lost countless more. But that was long ago, and things have changed. Gambling is a young man's game. That's why I'm looking to get out. My offer still stands - fifty credits gets you my old Pazaak deck and a free lesson. A great offer if you can afford it.

Sure, I'll buy your deck.

How could I possibly refuse?

Good luck. I hope the game's as good to you as it was to me. Now, is there anything else I can do for you?

I'd like a Pazaak lesson.

I'll just let the in-game tutorial take over for a moment.

Not really, but those are literally all of my cards so I don't have much of a choice.

Pazaak is space blackjack. Sabacc is more along the lines of space poker.

Well, we certainly don't have any negative cards at the moment, so this advice is useless to us right now.

Do not accidentally pick End Turn when you mean to pick Stand. Or vice versa, I guess. In both cases, you'll probably be screwed.

Okay, cool. Let's get on with this.

Hey, that wasn't too bad.

I take that back. I'd like to blame the computer for cheating, because it tends to do that, but in this case I had this in the bag until I accidentally selected End Turn instead of Stand and lost what would've been an easy win. Then I proceeded to lose the next two sets as well. Oops. Well, hopefully you enjoyed this introduction to pazaak, because this is the only time we'll be seeing it in this LP.

Well, that didn't go so well, but at least it was just a lesson so we didn't lose any credits. Let's go and talk to this person next.

You're from the military base? You don't look like one of the Sith.

I don't wear my uniform when I'm off duty. It's not allowed. In fact, anyone in uniform is banned from entering the cantina.

Aren't we technically in uniform right now? At least Carth is, I'm pretty sure.

The officers don't even like it when we show up here off duty. Don't like us fraternizing with the locals, I guess. But it gets pretty stale hanging around the base all the time. Besides, the Sith don't own me. Being a soldier in their fleet is just a job, you know? A job with long hours and low pay, I might add.

Not to mention a good chance of getting shot by us!

When I signed up I was promised adventure and excitement in exotic locales. Instead, I end up stationed at a military base on some backwater planet on the fringes of the galaxy. If I could just find some other way to earn some credits I could give this lousy job up. Retire my uniform, so to speak.

I'll be going now.

Oh... Okay. See you around. Say, do me a favor and don't repeat all the stuff I just told you. It might not go over well with my superiors.

That wasn't very informative. Let's try another one of the patrons.

That's not too useful either.

Tarisian Noble: Get away from me - I can't be seen talking with the common rabble. It wouldn't be proper for a man of my standing.

I knew this game was pretty bad about reusing character models, but they're not even trying to hide it here.

What do you think of our local music? The band is quite good, wouldn't you agree? They're on the verge of intergalactic stardom, you know.

It's different, but I like it.

Obviously you have an ear for music. Mark my words, they'll be famous soon enough. They were about to go on tour before this Sith quarantine stranded them here. Would you like to meet the band after the show? Maybe have a brief brush with fame before they become intergalactic superstars? I can arrange it, you know.

Eh, that's okay. We have more important things to do than meet some random band.

Are you certain? This is a once in a lifetime opportunity - meet the legends before they were famous. All it will cost you is a small handful of credits. I have a standing arrangement with one of the Rodian bodyguards backstage. For the small sum of 20 credits he'll let me set up a meeting with you and the band.

Sounds like you're running a scam to me.

Okay, so this is obviously a scam as Zila pointed out, and a lousy one at that. 20 credits? Seriously? You can't even buy anything with that.

That's too bad. They really are charming fellows. Very well, then - I hope you enjoy the music. If you change your mind come speak with me again.

If you pay him the 20 credits, he runs off to "arrange the meeting." Afterwards, a woman who was fooled by him earlier comes up to you and tells you you were scammed.

In the opposite corner, we have another gentleman with the same outfit as the last two guys. Must be in style this winter. Anyway, he is another Sith officer, just like the woman we talked to earlier.

Same dialogue options here, as well.

Nice to meet you, Yun. I'm Zila Galcyon.

I'm actually surprised you're talking to me at all... most of the people here on Taris can't stand us Sith. It can make this a pretty lonely job.

I wonder why people around here would have a problem with the Sith. It's not like they conquered the planet or anything... I mean... err... right.

Oh, great... I can see where this is going: the Sith are evil; why did I join them; blah, blah, blah. I don't need a lecture from the likes of you.

You seem pretty touchy about this. Maybe you feel a little guilty about what you do.

Maybe we shouldn't antagonize the Sith, but you know what? gently caress these guys. We could get an invite to a Sith party where they no doubt would show us how to party like it's 19 BBY, but a Sith party is the last place we want to be at this moment in time.

I don't think we have much else to say to each other. Let's just keep this civil and go our separate ways, okay?

We could talk to Yun again and apologize if we really wanted to go to that party, but we're not going so this is the last we'll see of him.

So far, we haven't had much luck finding information in this cantina. Let's see if there's anyone in this area who might be able to help.

I hate this planet.

*whisper* Careful what you say. I get the feeling this spoiled brat could cause us more trouble than she's worth.

You know what, let's just play along. I don't feel like causing a scene, even if this person must be impossibly stupid to mistake a heavily armed soldier in a combat uniform for waitstaff.

I swear this planet is populated by clones. Are we sure we're not on Kamino? Anyway, all's well that ends well. If you fail the Persuade check, she will run off and you'll have to fight some of her hired thugs outside the cantina when you leave.

One more room to check.

Hm, wonder what this is all about. They did mention fighting, so maybe something interesting is happening. Also, there's yet another NPC with the same outfit. You could probably make a drinking game out of this, but you probably shouldn't because you'd die of alcohol poisoning very quickly.

Well, let's check out this fight then. The spectators didn't seem to think it was going to be too exciting, but maybe the combatants will surprise us and put on a good show.

What kind of name is that?

That at least sounds like an acceptable name for a duelist.

Cue "The Grand Duel" by Luis Bacalov. Or maybe not.

I'm no duelist or an expert on dueling, but dropping your weapon as you draw it probably isn't a good thing.

Nope, definitely not good.

I wouldn't celebrate too much, Gerlon. That was sad for everyone involved.

Let's see if the duel spectators have anything to say about the five-star classic we just witnessed.

Apparently not.

Twitch here was the female spectator's favorite. Maybe he'll have some fun anecdotes to share from his dueling career.

:stare:

:staredog:

We'll just leave him to it, I think.

Bye, Twitch. Maybe Deadeye Duncan is more of a conversationalist.

Who are you?

l'm Deadeye Duncan, the number five ranked duelist in this cantina. You must have seen me in the dueling chambers, right?

You're the number five ranked duelist? Out of how many?

Uh... five. But it's an elite group, okay? It's not like just anyone can step into the dueling chamber! Well, actually anyone can... but not many do!

You don't look so tough. I think I could beat you in a duel.

Big talk. Go speak with the Hutt in the corner to back it up - he's the Duel Organizer. I'll look forward to our match. Fresh meat is just what I need to end my losing streak!

Our combat prowess isn't exactly our biggest strength, but even then we should probably hang up our guns forever if we were to lose to Deadeye here. Before we sign up for a match, though, we should talk to the other duelists as well.

I want to step into the ring.

Good to see some new blood in the fight game. Things have gotten pretty stale around here lately. If you're serious about this go talk to Ajuur the Hutt. He's the Duel Organizer. He'll probably start a rookie like you out against Duncan.

Will do. Two more competitors to talk to first, though.

I'm just here to take care of business in the dueling ring. For some reason every woman who comes in here thinks we should have some kind of female bond. Guess what? We don't!

Wow - that was cold!

Now you know why they call me Ice. If you're looking for a match, go talk to the Ajuur. He's that big Hutt over there in the corner. Otherwise, just go away.

Surely there has to be one person in this room who'll give us the time of day.

Were you expecting me?

No, we've never met. It's just that most people who come here to watch the duels are bored nobles looking for a little excitement in their drab lives. But you're different. You look like you know a thing or two about combat. I'm guessing you didn't come here to sit on the sidelines and watch a duel. Are you looking for a match?

Well, we have killed plenty of Sith recently, so you could say we know a little bit about combat. Marl here does seem a lot friendlier than the others, so let's see if he could tell us something about the duels.

If you're interested in setting up a match - or if you want to place a wager - just go speak to Ajuur. He's that Hutt over in the corner. He'll make all the arrangements.

Goodbye.

Goodbye, stranger. Maybe we'll talk again later.

That's enough chatting, time to get signed up for some fights. The other duelists mentioned Ajuur here handles all the booking, so he should be able to get us set up.

My name is Ajuur. I organize all the duels here. We need a new face in the dueling game, human. Maybe you want step into the duel ring? It can be a highly profitable venture.

I might be interested - what's in this for me?

I can arrange for you to fight in the duel ring. If you win, you get the standard contract: 10% of all wagers. And don't worry, nobody dies in the duel ring anymore. Death matches are illegal now. Most fighters in the duel ring use vibroblades or stun sticks because the ring's pretty small, but a few of the duelists use blasters. Use whichever you prefer.

That seems somewhat... irresponsible.

Carth would agree.

Well, sure, but what is this nonsense about ten percent? We deserve more than that.

No, you get the same as all the others - ten percent. That's my final offer.

It was worth a shot. I don't think you can actually succeed at that Persuade check no matter what you do.

You're an off-worlder. You're new here, people won't recognize you... I know! From now on in the duel ring you'll be the Mysterious Stranger!

That's a terrible name!

That's what I said!

The Mysterious Stranger is a perfect name for you. You've got no past, no history... it makes you seem like you have some big, dark secret. People like that. Makes them bet more.

Still, "Mysterious Stranger"? Come on, put some effort into it.

Who said anything about real names? I was thinking more along the lines of "Silver Phoenix" or something cool like that.

I'm ready for a duel.

Yes! You fight and people bet and I make money! It's all good. Only one rule - nobody dies. Your opponent goes down, you don't finish them off. Death matches are illegal now. You new at this, so I'll start you off easy. You get to fight Deadeye Duncan. Are you ready to go into the ring now?

Let's do it.

You know, that does sound kind of cool when the announcer puts it like that.

That was slightly anticlimactic, not gonna lie. Sure, it was Deadeye so you can't expect much, but that was downright shameful.

Announcer: But really, are any of us surprised? Deadeye losing isn't news. You have to do better than that to impress us, Stranger!

Despite the less than impressive fight, we did gain enough XP to level up. No feats this time around, all we've got is a few skill points to invest.

I keep investing in Persuade and Security like a proper scoundrel, and also put two points into Demolitions because even though I don't plan to specialize in that skill, it'll still be handy to be able to disarm the occasional mine without having a Demolitions expert in the party.

We also unlock the next tier of Sneak Attack, increasing the attack bonus on stunned or otherwise immobilized opponents.

Gerlon isn't too impressed by our performance. Can't really blame him for that.

Wow - you sure have a bad attitude.

Gee, I wonder why? Couldn't have anything to do with being the WORST duelist on Taris, could it? Even a rookie like you got the better of me! Look, I admit it - you're better than me. Everyone is better than me! A blindfolded, one-legged tach with a rusty knife could probably beat me, okay? Is that what you wanted to hear? You satisfied yet? Are you happy now that you've taken the last shred of dignity I have?

Yep, that's about right.

Slime-rat.

I realize it's bad form to rub your victory in the loser's face, but Deadeye was talking so much trash earlier that he kinda deserves it.

I always pay my debts. You won, so you get paid. Ten percent of the purse - that was the deal. Here's your credits. You come see me when you're ready to fight again.

100 credits isn't too bad for that level of effort.

You fought well last time. People like you, Stranger. They bet lots on your last fight. They'll bet more on your next fight. You get ten percent, same as always. You handled Duncan pretty well. I think you're ready to fight Gerlon Two-Fingers. Just remember - Gerlon uses blasters in the ring sometimes. You ready to step into the arena?

I'm not sure if we're actually strong enough to take on Gerlon at this point, but might as well give it a shot anyway.

Our introduction is the same as last time, so I cut that out. Let's see how we do against Gerlon in the fight itself.

Gah! Not very well, it turns out. This calls for desperate measures.

If you use healing items from the inventory menu, it's faster than using them normally via the combat interface. This can save your rear end in an emergency. It's also very obviously cheating.

Announcer: Gerlon losing to a rookie: is this a sign that his injuries have finally caught up with him? Or is the Mysterious Stranger for real? Only time will tell!

That was not even remotely "fair and square", Gerlon.

In any event, we'll go grab our winnings from Ajuur. We don't stand a chance against the other duelists at the moment, but we'll be back. Right now, though, it's time to head back to the Upper City. Next time we'll see if we can actually get any closer to finding Bastila.

DMorbid fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Jan 11, 2020

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
Out of curiosity are you planning to do the bug associated with the end of the dueling quest line?

SoundwaveAU
Apr 17, 2018

It's literally impossible to lose to Deadeye Duncan without some form of mod or hack, right?

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
It's me. I'm one of the weirdos who like Carth.

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

Is Suvam Tam in this version?

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

SoundwaveAU posted:

It's literally impossible to lose to Deadeye Duncan without some form of mod or hack, right?

No, you can lose. Probably just by standing there and waiting. There's even dialogue for it.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

rchandra posted:

Is Suvam Tam in this version?
Technically he is, but the Yavin station was free DLC in the Xbox release and can no longer be downloaded so unfortunately we're not going to see him or get any of the items he sells.

FoolyCharged posted:

Out of curiosity are you planning to do the bug associated with the end of the dueling quest line?
I had to look up what this glitch was just now because I had never heard of it, so that would be a no since I've already recorded the entire Taris part of the game. :v:

DMorbid fucked around with this message at 11:14 on Dec 24, 2019

Das Panzer
Nov 11, 2016
This brings back memories.

As a mechanical question, is there any real difference between the console version and the PC version of KOTOR? I've owned it on PC forever, but I'd be interested to know if there's any particular benefit to running it on console or if it's more down to personal preference.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

I think the PC version has some objections with modern hardware and the resolution options are very non-widescreen compliant.