Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
are you by any chance full up on cloud storage space

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

I spent :10bux: so I could say that I finally figured out what this god damned cube is doing. Get well Lowtax.
Grimey Drawer
Oh it's now gone down by one (10 items left!! :woop:), but the indicator thing hasn't moved.

flatluigi posted:

are you by any chance full up on cloud storage space

I've got 35GB going spare, according to my Google One dashboard. My first reaction was that it'd be silly for it to silently fail without popping any warnings because of that, but, well, Photos' communication so far has been somewhat lacking

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

I'm your friend and I'm not going to just stand by and let you do this!
I've got plenty of space and my Photos is perpetually stuck like that, too.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
I've been noticing that several times a day, OneDrive will pop up three notifications that all say "Preparing..." and then will go away after a couple of seconds.

It's vaguely ominous and threatening.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Uthor posted:

I've been noticing that several times a day, OneDrive will pop up three notifications that all say "Preparing..." and then will go away after a couple of seconds.

I have the same thing going. Pixel 3.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

Uthor posted:

I've seen this in a lot of boss fights. You'd better get your defenses up.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Never forget that time years ago I went to a concert then Google decided to backup 2 gigs of poo poo over cell data when I only had like 500mb. Luckily the carrier waived it. I've never enabled such an outlandish feature

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

codo27 posted:

Never forget that time years ago I went to a concert then Google decided to backup 2 gigs of poo poo over cell data when I only had like 500mb. Luckily the carrier waived it. I've never enabled such an outlandish feature

That would have been something you specifically enabled. It's not Google's fault, it's yours.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

I'm having trouble with the stock Android alarm clock on my pixel 3 xl. I could just use AMdroid, but I was wondering if anyone has run into this and knows of a permanent fix.

So last week, I woke up an hour after I was supposed to. My phone said I'd missed an alarm. I figured I'd slept through it, but then it happened again the next day. I was suspicious, so I set an alarm a minute in the future and sat there watching it. Sure enough it fired, but didn't make any sound. I hadn't done anything different from usual with do not disturb or volume settings. Googling, I found people who had that problem and fixed it by cleaning the cache. So I did that and tried the alarm again, and it worked properly. I figured that was that.

This morning it happened again. Does anyone have any idea what the gently caress is going on?

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

Blue Footed Booby posted:

I'm having trouble with the stock Android alarm clock on my pixel 3 xl. I could just use AMdroid, but I was wondering if anyone has run into this and knows of a permanent fix.

So last week, I woke up an hour after I was supposed to. My phone said I'd missed an alarm. I figured I'd slept through it, but then it happened again the next day. I was suspicious, so I set an alarm a minute in the future and sat there watching it. Sure enough it fired, but didn't make any sound. I hadn't done anything different from usual with do not disturb or volume settings. Googling, I found people who had that problem and fixed it by cleaning the cache. So I did that and tried the alarm again, and it worked properly. I figured that was that.

This morning it happened again. Does anyone have any idea what the gently caress is going on?

Stock alarm tone, or custom tone? Does the alarm still have all the permissions turned on (I don't even know if stock software has permission toggles)? Try changing the alarm tone and seeing if its still silent?

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

I noticed the stock alarm had lost track of my custom tone a few days ago, it had a warning symbol by it and said it couldn't find it

Selecting exactly the same tone from exactly the same location then worked fine so no idea what was up

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

I'm looking for a recipe book app. Something I can add/store my own recipes as I want to get rid of my gravy-stained paper recipe cards. I don't really care about all the ones that have a search to find other recipes and save them, etc, I want to store my own only and be able to search, etc. Thanks in advance for suggestions!

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Vykk.Draygo posted:

Stock alarm tone, or custom tone? Does the alarm still have all the permissions turned on (I don't even know if stock software has permission toggles)? Try changing the alarm tone and seeing if its still silent?

Stock tone, and I haven't messed with permissions. I tried an alarm just now without changing the tone and it worked correctly. What the poo poo.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

CLAM DOWN posted:

I'm looking for a recipe book app. Something I can add/store my own recipes as I want to get rid of my gravy-stained paper recipe cards. I don't really care about all the ones that have a search to find other recipes and save them, etc, I want to store my own only and be able to search, etc. Thanks in advance for suggestions!

I use Paprika on other platforms and it's great. Minus side is you have to buy it separately for each, but it's good enough I don't care. I *think* was, at least originally, a goon project.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

Endless Mike posted:

I use Paprika on other platforms and it's great. Minus side is you have to buy it separately for each, but it's good enough I don't care. I *think* was, at least originally, a goon project.

Yes, that was user NoDamage.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Someone at Google must have flipped a server side switch because my Chrome Beta just randomly switched back to the old "bar on top" style. Hooray.

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.

CLAM DOWN posted:

I made some OneNote notebooks. I can store the recipes, take notes, add pictures, search them, tag stuff, etc. Did a few custom styles so everything looks like I want it to. Has been working really well.

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE
Just moved from a Motorola phone to a Pixel 3a, and I'm missing the Motorola clock/battery/weather widget pretty hard, mostly for the weather part of it. It was super barebones, stayed current, and did not have ads, which is exactly what I want.

I've been trying 1Weather and it's widget, but it's just ok--I'm not a fan of the ads and the widget occasionally needs refreshing by opening the app. Any recommendations on a barebones weather app and widget without ads? It doesn't have to be free.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

effika posted:

I made some OneNote notebooks. I can store the recipes, take notes, add pictures, search them, tag stuff, etc. Did a few custom styles so everything looks like I want it to. Has been working really well.

Sorry, OneNote is a perfect example of what I don't want to use.

I'll give Paprika a try, looks good! Thanks!

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
e: wrong thread

Tortilla Maker
Dec 13, 2005
Un Desmadre A Toda Madre
I'm attempting to use Opera as my browser.

If I'm on a website that asks for location permissions the following dialog prompt appears:

quote:

Dialog is partially obscured by another app...

This freezes the Opera browser and the prompt sticks around after the fact for a bit:

How do I fix? I'm on a Pixel 3a.

Tortilla Maker fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Dec 22, 2019

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

I guess I'd first ask if you are in fact allowing apps to draw on top of other apps and if so, I'd imagine turning that off would fix it.

Tortilla Maker
Dec 13, 2005
Un Desmadre A Toda Madre

LastInLine posted:

I guess I'd first ask if you are in fact allowing apps to draw on top of other apps and if so, I'd imagine turning that off would fix it.

Where is this option?

Searching "draw," "obscure," etc. doesn't show up with anything.

Soysaucebeast
Mar 4, 2008

CLAM DOWN posted:

I use MyCookBook. I tried Paprika, but just didn't like it (and it was long enough ago that I can't remember why I didn't), but I've had no issues with MCB. It even has a website that you can add recipes to, if you prefer to type on an actual keyboard instead of using your phone for everything and it syncs pretty painlessly across everything. I have it set up on my phone and on my Amazon Fire, end never have an issue with updates on one device (or website) not showing up immediately on the other.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Tortilla Maker posted:

Where is this option?

Searching "draw," "obscure," etc. doesn't show up with anything.

At least on a Pixel, it's Settings > Apps & Notifications > Advanced > Special App Access > Display over other apps

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Soysaucebeast posted:

I use MyCookBook. I tried Paprika, but just didn't like it (and it was long enough ago that I can't remember why I didn't), but I've had no issues with MCB. It even has a website that you can add recipes to, if you prefer to type on an actual keyboard instead of using your phone for everything and it syncs pretty painlessly across everything. I have it set up on my phone and on my Amazon Fire, end never have an issue with updates on one device (or website) not showing up immediately on the other.

Totally sold me on this one, mainly because of the website version. This looks great, thank you!!!

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Is there an app that let's me set multiple timers with labels?

Specifically, going to be cooking a lot of food and will be setting timers for when to do things and last time I did this, I'd forget which timer was for what.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

Uthor posted:

Specifically, going to be cooking a lot of food and will be setting timers for when to do things and last time I did this, I'd forget which timer was for what.

All I did was search Cooking Timer in the Play Store and this first result looks like it does everything you want.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.maxxt.kitchentimer

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
Is anyone aware of good solution for locking ring volume? It's kinda crazy to me that somehow there appears to be no good solution for idiots who can't avoid pressing the volume buttons on their phone.

Uthor posted:

The default android clock does this. The label shows up inside the top of the circle after you create a timer.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

K8.0 posted:

The default android clock does this. The label shows up inside the top of the circle after you create a timer.

Oh, poo poo! Thanks.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
I've used Multi Timer for this, nice for staggering timings for grilling and such. Can even set triggered ones to start other timers. Liked it enough to pay for no-ads.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.jee.timer

Flaskraven
Nov 20, 2012

I hope you get crushed to death by a fat guy trying to commit suicide by falling out of a window and when the paramedics answer the local bystander asking if you'll live, he just says "fat chance" and laughs.

K8.0 posted:

Is anyone aware of good solution for locking ring volume? It's kinda crazy to me that somehow there appears to be no good solution for idiots who can't avoid pressing the volume buttons on their phone.

If you go to settings -> sounds and vibrations, there's an option that says "Use Volume keys for media". That way the volume keys only control the media volume. Not exactly what you were asking for, but pretty close.

Syves
Dec 10, 2007
50% Entertainment By Volume. Guaranteed!
Pillbug
Anyone know of a current app that will allow me to scrape all the photos out of Google Messages? My significant other sends me a lot of pictures, but I have to manually save them so i can view them in the Photos app later. And I haven't been doing that as they come in. I just want something that I can go in with after the fact, find all the photos, and dump them into my Messages folder of the photos app so I have them all.

Google has been less that useful, and anything I've looked at has just been either a whole SMS replacement app, which I don't want, or a backup app which backs everything up somewhere, but doesn't make getting the photos any easier.

(I'm on a pixel 2 if that makes any difference)

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Syves posted:

Anyone know of a current app that will allow me to scrape all the photos out of Google Messages? My significant other sends me a lot of pictures, but I have to manually save them so i can view them in the Photos app later. And I haven't been doing that as they come in. I just want something that I can go in with after the fact, find all the photos, and dump them into my Messages folder of the photos app so I have them all.

Google has been less that useful, and anything I've looked at has just been either a whole SMS replacement app, which I don't want, or a backup app which backs everything up somewhere, but doesn't make getting the photos any easier.

(I'm on a pixel 2 if that makes any difference)

Can't you just select the Messages folder in Google Photos?

Syves
Dec 10, 2007
50% Entertainment By Volume. Guaranteed!
Pillbug
Thats where they go if I save them manually, sure. But I can't set them to save there automatically (or at least, I haven't been able to find a menu or option that does that).

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Syves posted:

Thats where they go if I save them manually, sure. But I can't set them to save there automatically (or at least, I haven't been able to find a menu or option that does that).

In Google Photos > Settings > Back up & sync > Back up device folders > Messages, selecting that should let Google Photos monitor that folder for pictures and automatically back up anything that shows up there.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

LastInLine posted:

In Google Photos > Settings > Back up & sync > Back up device folders > Messages, selecting that should let Google Photos monitor that folder for pictures and automatically back up anything that shows up there.

He's saying MMS messages don't save to the device in the first place if he doesn't manually save each one.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Vykk.Draygo posted:

He's saying MMS messages don't save to the device in the first place if he doesn't manually save each one.

But don't they have to be somewhere? If you're viewing them in the thread then they have to be on the device and if that's the case, they can be saved.

I wouldn't know, I don't use SMS or MMS much, but I can't think of any other way it can work.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

MMS pics from Google Messages indeed do not appear in local storage unless you specifically hit the save button on each one individually. It's annoying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Probably so women don't have to deal with their phones saving a bunch of unsolicited dick pics.