Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

eames posted:

Is there a way to show the netflix debug overlay in Firefox on macOS? I resubscribed for the first time since switching to FF but the quality seems close to 480p or worse. ctrl-option-shift-s isn't working.

You can also search Netflix for Test Patterns videos, which include the resolution and some other stuff that Netflix is pushing to you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe

Mr.Radar posted:

Try adding the site to the A/V autoplay whitelist? Go to Options in the browser menu and search for "autoplay".

Sorry; I'm being a big dumb -- I've found the autoplay whitelist, but I can't seem to do anything except remove websites from it; rather than adding them.

e: I did set it to allow everything by default and the notification sound still didn't work, so I don't think this is going to be the fix.

Montalvo fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Dec 18, 2019

eames
May 9, 2009

Lambert posted:

It's D, not S.

That's not working either, AFAIK D is for debug and S is for stats. Is it working for you in Firefox?

doctorfrog posted:

You can also search Netflix for Test Patterns videos, which include the resolution and some other stuff that Netflix is pushing to you.

Thanks, I found those and they're indeed running at 1080p. Unfortunately the test patterns look much better than the content in question, so I'm still trying to figure out what's going on.
It is strange to me that Netflix treats third party browsers as second class citizens, I can only assume that they're doing this because of DRM/HDCP reasons.

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.

Montalvo posted:

Sorry; I'm being a big dumb -- I've found the autoplay whitelist, but I can't seem to do anything except remove websites from it; rather than adding them.

e: I did set it to allow everything by default and the notification sound still didn't work, so I don't think this is going to be the fix.

Ah sorry, I thought you could add sites there too.

Applebees
Jul 23, 2013

yospos

eames posted:

Is there a way to show the netflix debug overlay in Firefox on macOS? I resubscribed for the first time since switching to FF but the quality seems close to 480p or worse. ctrl-option-shift-s isn't working.

Netflix will only deliver 720p to Firefox. From https://help.netflix.com/en/node/23742

quote:

Resolution:
  • Google Chrome
    • Up to 720p on Windows, Mac, and Linux
    • Up to 1080p on Chrome OS
  • Internet Explorer up to 1080p
  • Microsoft Edge up to 4K*
  • Mozilla Firefox up to 720p
  • Opera up to 720p
  • Safari up to 1080p on Mac OS X 10.10.3 or later

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Applebees posted:

Netflix will only deliver 720p to Firefox. From https://help.netflix.com/en/node/23742

:ssh:
https://github.com/vladikoff/netflix-1080p-firefox

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.

ArcaneMan posted:

This exact same thing happened to me with the update, was able to get tabs on bottom again but still had that space there. Tried for a long time to mess around with css flex settings but in the end I started fresh with a new usercss, used the top google result for tabs on bottom, and that worked.

I'd just like to add, for anyone else that may have this issue, that this worked for me, too, the page at https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/forum-response-tabs-below-url-bar with the example css written out for firefox 65 and above did the trick.

The irony is that I actually tried this very page first, but I didn't realize then that firefox 71 has css files turned off by default, and you need to turn it on in the about :config settings before it'll work, only after which did I use a different css, which then resulted in the screwed up version. Fun!

Thanks again, ArcaneMan.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

eames posted:

That's not working either, AFAIK D is for debug and S is for stats. Is it working for you in Firefox?

Thanks, I found those and they're indeed running at 1080p. Unfortunately the test patterns look much better than the content in question, so I'm still trying to figure out what's going on.
It is strange to me that Netflix treats third party browsers as second class citizens, I can only assume that they're doing this because of DRM/HDCP reasons.

S is for the quality setting menu that has been removed.

Ctrl + Shift + Alt + D displays the stats overlay, just installed Mozzarella to test it out. Works.

eames
May 9, 2009

Lambert posted:

S is for the quality setting menu that has been removed.

Ctrl + Shift + Alt + D displays the stats overlay, just installed Mozzarella to test it out. Works.

Thanks for going through the trouble of checking that. The shortcut is still not working — not even in safe mode — but this isnt worth the time troubleshooting it.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Applebees posted:

quote:

Resolution:

Google Chrome
Up to 720p on Windows, Mac, and Linux
Up to 1080p on Chrome OS
Internet Explorer up to 1080p
Microsoft Edge up to 4K*
Mozilla Firefox up to 720p
Opera up to 720p
Safari up to 1080p on Mac OS X 10.10.3 or later
What's the justification behind this anyway? Are the big companies just paying more to get the big streams on their browsers?

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

Knormal posted:

What's the justification behind this anyway? Are the big companies just paying more to get the big streams on their browsers?

DRM scheme requirements or something last I heard, most companies don't want to pay the licensing fees.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

I still don't understand the point of DRM since you can pirate the content with same or better quality. Like.. why bother with DRM? It just causes issues for customers.

isndl
May 2, 2012

Ihmemies posted:

I still don't understand the point of DRM since you can pirate the content with same or better quality. Like.. why bother with DRM? It just causes issues for customers.

I guess if you're gonna pirate a 4k stream they want you to use other people's bandwidth and not theirs? :shrug:

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
you wouldn't pirate it in the first place if they let you watch it though :v:

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Ihmemies posted:

Same thing as HDCP bullshit still giving us the rainbow sparkles in 2019 despite the DRM having been cracked in 2008 and nobody ever having to rip a BluRay by digitally capturing the video source.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Truga posted:

you wouldn't pirate it in the first place if they let you watch it though :v:

The Steam lesson.

Would be great if companies actually learned from it, says the person living in Australia with legal access to about 3% of English language media content.

stevewm
May 10, 2005

Ihmemies posted:

The music industry figured it out years ago..(though not without basically being forced) The movie/TV industry hasn't had their moment yet....

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

Ihmemies posted:

Same thing with Sky / Now TV in the UK. Their streaming websites require a separate video player app to be downloaded, which opens whenever you want to play anything. And is windows / macOS only.

They also log you out once an hour or something ultra hostile - as opposed to never for every other steaming site.

Literally all their content has already been pirated, whether from their TV broadcasts or from the original channel (HBO). It’s trivial to find streams of all their live sport too.

So it’s unclear why punishing their paying customers with DRM / annoyances is worth it, when playing in the browser is good enough for every other streaming site.

MohShuvuu
Aug 26, 2010

I eat ass.

How do you install this?

c0burn
Sep 2, 2003

The KKKing
Picture in picture is the best new browser feature in like a decade

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

MohShuvuu posted:

How do you install this?

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/netflix-1080p/

Note the risk:

quote:

This extension isn’t monitored by Mozilla. Make sure you trust the extension before you install it.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

That warning is on all but a handful of popular extensions, though. It's just Mozilla covering its rear end in case something breaks (into your computer).

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting
Why?

Mozilla removes site specific user-agent override option from Firefox 71
https://www.ghacks.net/2019/12/11/mozilla-removes-site-specific-user-agent-override-option-from-firefox-71/

eames
May 9, 2009

wooger posted:

So it’s unclear why punishing their paying customers with DRM / annoyances is worth it, when playing in the browser is good enough for every other streaming site.

I suspect it is partly about collecting telemetry/analytics data that’s beyond their reach in a browser with an adblocker.
Even on iOS, a very closed down platform, there’s a noticeable trend where video/streaming platforms only offer high quality streams and content via native apps that are so full of trackers that they make any DNS based adblocker work overtime.
Some of those apps won’t even let you use them without logging into an account.

YouTube is a good example for this. The native app explicitly disables PiP, their website in iOS Safari only supports 720p at medium bitrates.

It’s not just limited to streaming, many services push people to native apps to collect more data even though a simple website would often do the job.
Just one more reason to use a browser like Firefox.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Why? Because they re-wrote that part of the browser and dropped it for increased speed. Extensions can still change the user agent any way they like.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Mozilla has a long history of deprecating old OIDs in about-config in favour of adding new, rather than exposing new features under existing OIDs with new values and optional handling of old values.

isndl
May 2, 2012

D. Ebdrup posted:

Mozilla has a long history of deprecating old OIDs in about-config in favour of adding new, rather than exposing new features under existing OIDs with new values and optional handling of old values.

This actually makes sense because it's by far safer when it comes compatibility with old profiles. And old profiles already run into a ton of weird behavior as it is.

I can also see scenarios where an old add-on expects certain values and new code adds values that the add-on does not know how to handle and everything goes to poo poo.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

isndl posted:

This actually makes sense because it's by far safer when it comes compatibility with old profiles. And old profiles already run into a ton of weird behavior as it is.

I can also see scenarios where an old add-on expects certain values and new code adds values that the add-on does not know how to handle and everything goes to poo poo.
This is text we're talking about, not binary data which has to deal with endianness or similar silliness. So far as I remember, FreeBSD hasn't had any problems parsing old OIDs for sysctls when going from a period with one implementation until a new one has been implemented and the old deprecated to allow for a period of switching over to avoid breaking POLA.
Firefox has never had a concept of POLA. If anything, it's the opposite: if it can be broken during an upgrade, Mozilla will break it.

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

I have a strange problem that I'm not really sure when it started. Some sites, Youtube TV and Pluto TV that I've found so far, are showing data to me as if I'm in GMT time zone.

This is from Youtube TV, right now. The guide thinks my local time is a little after 5pm. It's really 11am, as you can see from the Fox 9 News at 11am. The guide on Pluto does the same thing.

If I do a search and then visit any website that displays the time, those sites are able to determine my correct TZ, CST/CDT. So Youtube and Pluto are pulling something else.

I've tried turning off tracking protection and disabling ublock. And in Chrome, things work correctly. Any ideas on something to look for?

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

phosdex posted:

I have a strange problem that I'm not really sure when it started. Some sites, Youtube TV and Pluto TV that I've found so far, are showing data to me as if I'm in GMT time zone.

This is from Youtube TV, right now. The guide thinks my local time is a little after 5pm. It's really 11am, as you can see from the Fox 9 News at 11am. The guide on Pluto does the same thing.

If I do a search and then visit any website that displays the time, those sites are able to determine my correct TZ, CST/CDT. So Youtube and Pluto are pulling something else.

I've tried turning off tracking protection and disabling ublock. And in Chrome, things work correctly. Any ideas on something to look for?

You might also need to turn on location permission in the OS -- on windows this is Settings -> Privacy -> Location and then set:
* location for this device is on
* allow apps to access your location on

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

oh my god is that a circular saw that does not go in my mouth aaaaagh

phosdex posted:

Some troubleshooting steps:
  • Do you have "privacy.resistFingerprinting" set to true? I think that sets your time zone to GMT.
  • Open the scratchpad (Shift+F4), type "new Date().toString()", and hit Ctrl+L to display the result. Does the time zone in the output look right?

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

Avenging Dentist posted:

Some troubleshooting steps:
  • Do you have "privacy.resistFingerprinting" set to true? I think that sets your time zone to GMT.
  • Open the scratchpad (Shift+F4), type "new Date().toString()", and hit Ctrl+L to display the result. Does the time zone in the output look right?

Ah, it was the privacy.resistFingerprinting setting. Thanks!

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

phosdex posted:

Ah, it was the privacy.resistFingerprinting setting. Thanks!

It's kind of a dumb feature as it is. It clearly needs more fine-grained control over fingerprinting reistance. Either disable it on a site-by-site basis or allow users to disable certain protections. Personally I would be fine with only 1/24th as effective fingerprinting resistance if it didn't break the clock on sites that use it.

Storm One
Jan 12, 2011
There is finer grained control but it reduces the effectiveness of that experimental feature. It's off by default for a reason.

It's possible to individually toggle at least some of the features that the resistfingerprinting master switch controls. The ghacks user.js file documents those.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Wow. loving Google now has YouTube ask, "Are you sure you want to leave YouTube?" when you click a link in a video description to a non-YouTube site. Is there an add-on or a *Monkey script to disable this?

Tehran 1979
Jan 28, 2019

by Lowtax
So FF updated and it's done something to my menu colors, they used to go along with the color theme I had and be dark gray/black but now they're white/light gray and I can't figure out what can change it. Downloaded other themes with no avail.

Any ideas? As you can see it gets real artificial sunny so I try to avoid any whiteness I can.

Tehran 1979 fucked around with this message at 11:12 on Dec 30, 2019

astral
Apr 26, 2004

https://lmgtfy.com/?q=screenshot

https://lmgtfy.com/?q=snipping+tool / https://lmgtfy.com/?q=snip+and+sketch

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Have you changed your Windows color scheme?

Tehran 1979
Jan 28, 2019

by Lowtax

Can't screenshot it. Soon as you hit the alt key it closes the menus.

nielsm posted:

Have you changed your Windows color scheme?

Not since the update. I'm using the default Windows dark theme and it was working fine until then.

Tehran 1979 fucked around with this message at 11:12 on Dec 30, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Tehran 1979 posted:

Can't screenshot it. Soon as you hit the alt key it closes the menus.

Can you change your hotkeys?

If that fails, I use PicPick which just screencaps straight off the printscreen button.

Viz: