Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Miching Mallecho posted:

I want to know what the story group’s ideas actually were now.

God drat I love behind the scenes poo poo like this and it’s never going to be in a documentary or a book.

Thanks a lot Disney :jerkbag:

Well now we can have a new original film about our protagonist, skywalker.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Onmi posted:

Yeah, that's not what happened, they aren't going "See, see, she was important, I feel good knowing she needed to be important! Mmm now the story panders to me and makes my brain tingle." They're going "lol you loving desperate losers you've written such poo poo you're trying to salvage this and it's even more poo poo. That wasn't the problem, dipshits."

And let's be clear, that she wasn't apart of some dynasty wasn't the problem. The problem was she had the strongest force powers in the setting when she had no reason to be able to use them without training. Like... no one complains that Luke and Anakin are strong in the force and do poo poo that they do. No one's complaining that Rey wins a fight because she can't fight, if they complain about that, it's because it ruins all narrative tension by having the villain get their rear end whooped at the first encounter. Spoilers, Kylo remains a dork who's never intimidating, threatening or in any way capable as a villain. If they had not pulled Palpatine and gone with Kylo as the bad guy, it'd be... less of a joke, but still a joke.

People are really poo poo at elucidating their feelings, brought on by bad-faith actors who are just dumb. Like... no one cares that Rey is strong in the force, as that article says, anyone can be strong in the force. But... how's she able to resist a mind probe, and overpower in the force trained Sith? It's not "How dare you be this powerful" it's "is the force a joke?" Her direct comparison is Finn... Finn's force sensitive, it's pretty clear he's meant to be Force Sensitive even in the first film, and he depicts the usual cases of being force sensitive in Star Wars, he gets bad feelings and like low-level empath abilities? But he can't really do anything with them, he's... it's like being a naturally talented swimmer thrown into the pool, you sure can swim, but if you don't know the techniques or even how to start swimming... you probably can't naturally swim like a champion.

I've talked about it earlier in the thread, for some people the mechanical aspect of things is the interesting part, for some, it's the thematic part. Thematically, Rey as either the descender of a powerful force family or as an entirely new person no lineage isn't really relevant to the control of her powers, beyond that she's in the position that Luke and Anakin were in but unlike them she doesn't have a real mentor to learn from. Unlike those two, it's not adventure that calls to her but family. Luke and Anakin want adventure and to leave their humble roots, while Rey is more searching for a place to belong. So being powerful in the force is vital because it actually gives her a place alongside Kylo Ren, who's the villain. But from a mechanical perspective, just because she's powerful in the force doesn't mean she should be able to stop mind probes and block force pushes from someone who's trained.

And if you prefer the mechanical side, the thematic reasoning doesn't matter. And I would argue that the thematic doesn't require her to be able to use powerful techniques so much as it requires her to be of strong power.

This is why I always say that The Last Jedi doesn't feel like a story, it feels like Rian Johnson is talking to the fans through the vector of the actors. Because there's that moment early on when Snoke gets pissy at Kylo, mocking him for his obsession (That he previously supported) and berating him for "Losing to a girl with no training." That's not a real complaint or a real problem in the realm of the story. Kylo, who was bleeding out from being shot, lost a duel to a person who was perfectly healthy and fueled by rage while he was torn with indecision. Snoke's comments make no sense to Story Kylo Ren, Snokes comments only make sense from the meta-level, of fan commentary on a scene in TFA. And the whole film is like that. It's a commentary to fans.

That's my takeaway anyway. Sorry for all the tangents.

In terms of Rey and Kylo, they were a Dyad in the Force. I won't pretend to know all of what that means. My take after TFA was that with the Force "awakening" things had changed somewhat. That Rey was naturally very gifted with the Force. When Kylo probed her mind, he opened for her a way into his own mind. There was a two-way conduit between him and Rey. While he learned about her, she unconsciously drew on that conduit and learned from him. She learned Force techiques, lightsaber combat and other abilities. Kylo broke off the link when he realized that she was reading his mind and thoughts, but by then Rey had obtained a basic but fairly thorough grounding in the Force.

With the idea that he and Rey were a Force Dyad, it makes even more sense that they'd act as a "Force" multiplier for each other. When Rey healed him at the Death Star, Ben learned that technique and was able to use it to heal Rey later. Add to that the idea that the Force has "awakened" and is now more present and active in the sense that even untrained people like Stable Kid are about to touch and use it. Of course training has a great benefit, but the Force is no longer something that has to be taught in order to be used.

Onmi posted:

What fan are they courting, it's like courting a unicorn, that doesn't exist. The fan they think they're courting isn't real. So we instead get the reality in a movie that pleases no one. Speaking of, Pook's idea is actually really good, I'd love that, but I still think Kylo would have the 'Joke' status riding on his head. But it would be actually interesting and Subvert Expectations in a Good Way to have the story eventually go "Rey... he's killing civilizations. There's no redemption for him, you gotta kill him." Because I for one am sick of Jesus Forgiving Hitler, if you know what I mean in the kind of stories where the hero is all-forgiving and just "Your muh friend though!" And that's forgiveness enough, they don't need to die in self-sacrifice, the hero forgives and understands them, so should you.

I'm kind of reminded of the bit from Avengers: Age of Ultron when the Vision gives his take on Ultron. "I don't want to kill Ultron. He's unique and he's in pain. But that pain will roll over the Earth, so he must be destroyed."

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I really really really want to know the loving logistics of the knife.

So you have this Magic Space Knife which has the location to a wayfinder written in Ancient Sith Tongue... but logically it has to be like 30 years old tops. And it shows the location of a Wayfinder which is... in the wreckage of the Death Star? And can only be seen by standing on a random point where the *wreckage of the Death Star* lines up. This assumes that the wreckage will never shift or change in any way despite being in the middle of a raging ocean.

Just... why? I don't loving understand any of it. If you wanted to go back to the Death Star, why not just... have them realize that Palpatine must have had a way to get to Shithole Sith Planet and the last place he was alive was on the Death Star? Then you can skip half the loving movie which revolves entirely around a random knife!

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

JJ is a lazy hack is the answer.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

So you have this Magic Space Knife which has the location to a wayfinder written in Ancient Sith Tongue... but logically it has to be like 30 years old tops. And it shows the location of a Wayfinder which is... in the wreckage of the Death Star? And can only be seen by standing on a random point where the *wreckage of the Death Star* lines up. This assumes that the wreckage will never shift or change in any way despite being in the middle of a raging ocean.

Just... why? I don't loving understand any of it. If you wanted to go back to the Death Star, why not just... have them realize that Palpatine must have had a way to get to Shithole Sith Planet and the last place he was alive was on the Death Star? Then you can skip half the loving movie which revolves entirely around a random knife!

Yeah it's like the second stupidest part of the movie.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

ImpAtom posted:

Because the Dagger was just "plot device"

It needed to do whatever it needed to do at any given moment.

Doronin
Nov 22, 2002

Don't be scared
My initial post after I saw the movie, I said I actually enjoyed the viewing. Which I did. But now that it's been nearly 48 hours and discussing the movie a lot, the more I'm realizing just how many elements I either didnt like when i actually thought about them, or ideas that were introduced that ended up disappointing.

Furthermore, I finally managed to point to exactly why I was so underwhelmed: TRoS is a movie that was soullessly churned out of an algorithm and tried way too hard to never challenge the audience. Just a cynical run through the motions they'll spin off into several Disney+ series and extended canon over the next decade to justify.

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

If Rey's force healing Kylo's gut also got rid of his scar does it also reverse a circumcision

I assume the reylo fandom will sort this out when they are done being mad that Rey didn't take the Solo name

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Ingmar terdman posted:

If Rey's force healing Kylo's gut also got rid of his scar does it also reverse a circumcision

I assume the reylo fandom will sort this out when they are done being mad that Rey didn't take the Solo name

Star Wars long predates the invention of circumcision.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

ImpAtom posted:

Because Rey had to get the Knife that was used to kill her parents that belonged to the Assassin that killed her parents.

Wait did they cut that bit from the movie?

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
People who insist rots was a good movie forget that after the atonal slapstick where Anakin and obi wan do vaudeville and a man is decapitated with laser scissors there’s three back to back exposition scenes slowly drowned out by the world's most poorly directed actors (the hangar, padme's room and the Jedi meeting room)

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

Martytoof posted:

10 years, MAX.

If they could get Portman to come back after the travesty of the first two Thor movies then they'll get the ST cast back if/when there's enough interest and money to be made.

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

The thing about JJ's mystery box windup in 7 is that because they had no answers in mind, you get some retrofitted answers in 9, and when you rewatch 7 again, it's not going to be enriched or have any extra depth for you knowing the whole story. I suppose that could be said about the OT too but Star Wars didn't set up a bunch of mysteries to be resolved in Empire and Return

riseofmydick
Dec 18, 2019

by Pragmatica
Wow this movie did really bad at the box office.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

riseofmydick posted:

Good

It should

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

riseofmydick posted:

Almost 400 million is bad?

Noam Chomsky
Apr 4, 2019

:capitalism::dehumanize:

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

I am by no means a MCU fanatic but to see them be able to have some kind of overarching plan for multiple movies and characters and then see this just flop around like no one gave a gently caress is really disappointing. For better or worse at least the prequels and OT had a singular person behind them with some kind of vision in mind.

The MCU films are adaptations featuring storylines and characters people already know and love.

The Disney Wars movies are creating new storylines and characters but the people Disney entrusts to do this are shackled by Disney's need to maintain a certain aesthetic for theme parks, merchandising, and PR. What creative people Disney actually employs are not allowed to be such because it's too disruptive to the planning for their brand.

This one of the reasons why the faction names in the ST are so stupid and make no sense. They were created to fit a brand and the marketing and merchandising around that brand, and to hearken back to a story that already concluded. Then a story was written around that brand. That story makes no sense because the constraints force them to have to write it backwards from where they want the brand to end up.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
Something that just occured to me, so please correct me if I am wrong, but the ship that they find in the desert (man they go to a lot of loving desert planets in these three movies) belongs to the guy who was supposed to find Rey and bring her to Palpatine, but that's the ship she sees as a child leaving her on Jakkuu so who was flying that ship when it left her?

It's not like I'm sitting here brooding over this movie looking for plot inconsistencies to rise my fist in triumph and shout 'hah got you JJ!' I'm just thinking about the movie and these questions keep popping up once you have a second to break down what was presented. Maybe that's why the movie never stops to breath, you'd notice all of the shoddy craftsmanship.

Noam Chomsky
Apr 4, 2019

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

Something that just occured to me, so please correct me if I am wrong, but the ship that they find in the desert (man they go to a lot of loving desert planets in these three movies) belongs to the guy who was supposed to find Rey and bring her to Palpatine, but that's the ship she sees as a child leaving her on Jakkuu so who was flying that ship when it left her?

It's not like I'm sitting here brooding over this movie looking for plot inconsistencies to rise my fist in triumph and shout 'hah got you JJ!' I'm just thinking about the movie and these questions keep popping up once you have a second to break down what was presented. Maybe that's why the movie never stops to breath, you'd notice all of the shoddy craftsmanship.

My assumption was the parents left her on Jakku and then the sith dipshit found the parents and interrogated and killed them aboard his ship but did not end up finding Rey and then went off to do more dumb sith bullshit. Good luck surmising that from the film though since they just jumble a bunch of scenes together and yadda-yadda their way though it.

Also, to your second point, remember when the space nazi officer was asking Kylo a bunch of questions and then Kylo force-slams him on the ceiling? That's JJ's message to the audience.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

The movie's dumb as hell but I think it's pretty clear he picked them up and stabbed them on the ship. Also lmao that they find his ship on ANOTHER desert planet.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Haha so I just read the spoilers and Rey is Palpatine's granddaughter for real? Ha ha!!

I was told that Ben Sisko dies but I don't know who that is.

Noam Chomsky
Apr 4, 2019

Groovelord Neato posted:

The movie's dumb as hell but I think it's pretty clear he picked them up and stabbed them on the ship. Also lmao that they find his ship on ANOTHER desert planet.

Yeah but I wouldn't blame someone for blinking and missing the exact chronology of the short scenes explaining this.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Oh, sorry, Ben Solo. I didn't see TLJ though.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Groovelord Neato posted:

It underperformed compared to expectations, which is not the same as doing really poorly. It's worse than TFA and TLJ, but we knew that already.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler

Groovelord Neato posted:

Maybe I am confused and mixing up which ships are which. Why can't they just all be tie fighters.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Pick posted:

Oh, sorry, Ben Solo. I didn't see TLJ though.

We knew his true name was Ben Solo from Force Awakens. Han yells "BEN!" before he gets shanked.

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

JUST FUCKING TAKE OFF ALREADY, SHIT
Knights of Ren should have been Kylo's personal task force that went around hunting down any surviving members of Luke's Jedi school. Three movies of them helping Kylo trying to find and kill Rey, who we find out was a child in Luke's school, but had her mind erased and dumped on Jakku to hopefully keep her alive. Her parents are then found and killed by the Knights of Ren, and Luke feels it in the Force. He then starts to reach out to Rey and guide her with visions for training and help Finn get off of Jakku (and herself) so that she can go to Luke and train.

Snoke should have bragged as being an adviser to Palpatine that learned the Dark Side on his own, to hopefully kill Palpatine himself, but instead the Dark Side corrupted his body to the way it is now. He still gets chumped out by Kylo.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Groovelord Neato posted:

We knew his true name was Ben Solo from Force Awakens. Han yells "BEN!" before he gets shanked.

Ohhh okay, that's Kylo. Kylo Ben.

riseofmydick
Dec 18, 2019

by Pragmatica

Groovelord Neato posted:

It made 175 million domestic. TFA made 250m and TLJ made 220m.

That's a pretty big drop. Looks like internationally it has about the same drop.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

Noam Chomsky posted:

The MCU films are adaptations featuring storylines and characters people already know and love.

The Disney Wars movies are creating new storylines and characters but the people Disney entrusts to do this are shackled by Disney's need to maintain a certain aesthetic for theme parks, merchandising, and PR. What creative people Disney actually employs are not allowed to be such because it's too disruptive to the planning for their brand.

This one of the reasons why the faction names in the ST are so stupid and make no sense. They were created to fit a brand and the marketing and merchandising around that brand, and to hearken back to a story that already concluded. Then a story was written around that brand. That story makes no sense because the constraints force them to have to write it backwards from where they want the brand to end up.

Also why Rey wears the exact same outfit throughout the trilogy while everyone constantly changed wardrobes in the OT

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

Calaveron posted:

Also why Rey wears the exact same outfit throughout the trilogy while everyone constantly changed wardrobes in the OT

She has one outfit per movie, though her 2 JJ outfits are really similar.

Hi I just got out of this movie and I'm feelin all kinds of ways. But I'm also glad there is now Star Peace

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

Shoehead posted:

She has one outfit per movie, though her 2 JJ outfits are really similar.

Hi I just got out of this movie and I'm feelin all kinds of ways. But I'm also glad there is now Star Peace

Well I’m gonna have to be side by sides because her wardrobe in my head is just wispy earth tones

riseofmydick
Dec 18, 2019

by Pragmatica
Just for reference, this is about what Iron Man 3 made in it's opening weekend and very close to what The Dark Knight made.

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
After watching that I am left with a profound feeling of emptiness. Completely unbelievable.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Calaveron posted:

Well I’m gonna have to be side by sides because her wardrobe in my head is just wispy earth tones

She had a hood she sometimes put up in this one, wasnt that new?

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker

Pollyanna posted:

Okay then, gently caress it! If we're going all in on the fanservice, then I'm honestly kinda baffled as to why they didn't evoke Anakin more, considering Ben. It's not like people would have been angry if he showed up, and it would make Kylo's redemption more resonant in some fashion. The other Jedi only getting voice cameos also feels like a hell of a cop-out too - how loving nuts would it have been to see all the prequel Jedi and Clone Wars/Rebels Jedi show up?

Lucas was told that his treatments were rejected because Disney wanted to do a movie "for the fans".

Your very logical and potentially powerful suggestion flies against this. No "fan" enjoyed the prequel movies. This is evidenced both by what "fans" say and how those movies did at the box office. Adjusted for inflation, I'm certain you'll find those movies were box office failures. So that's why their contributions are correctly reduced to voiceovers during a handful of scenes while Disney did what the fans asked for and applied expert makeup and practical effects (ABSOLUTELY NO CGI) to resurrect Carrie Fishers character.

I'm sure that based on this stellar execution, in 20: years, these movies will resonate with a new generation of "fan" begging for a new series of disjointed cut scenes stuck together with the sticky dried juice 'member berries.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer
Today I just stumbled back from the movie theater after watching the new Star Wars movie for the first time. Since this is a spoiler-discussion thread and all, I thought it would be nice to share my experience:

-First off, the movie was awesome! I think from all the new movies, I liked this one the most. The new trilogy is now clearly even better then the first one. Good movie all around!

-To get into a bit more detail, I was a little bit scared since I knew Abrams was also the man behind Star Trek: Into Darkness, a movie I find deeply revolting on a personal level. But well, everything went super-good!

-Lots of space battles: I'm always a sucker for those, and the movie absolutely delivered on that front! As far as I am concerned, the more titanic explosions tearing spaceships and planets apart, the better.

-The plot with Palpatine reviving himself with spooky Satanic cloning technology reminded me a lot of the plot of Homeworld. Well, at least until the point when Palpatine transforms into a Final Fantasy Endboss and Rey has to go all Lightning on his rear end, I think Homeworld's solution of killing the emperor with his flagship while a rebel strikeforce landed on Hiigara to blow up the cloning facilities was a more sensible end to the problem of re-cloning emperors. But then again, Homeworld is Science Fiction, and Star Wars was always Fantasy. I'm willing to accept a lot more bullshit in Fantasy then in SF.

-Speaking of bullshit, when the rebels launched their cavalry attack on an enemy capitalship I was nearly biting my arm off to prevent myself from laughing so loud I'd have been thrown out of the theater. Great comedy! And I guess the rebels should feel lucky that either that planet's atmosphere they were fighting in had a breathable atmosphere, or that the evil bad guys were too scared to switch the shields off to clear out the attackers. (Or, in case of explanation A: Breathable atmosphere around the ship, switching of the artificial gravity field. But panic in battle happens! I can allow it, just for the sheer fun of this scene. So the bad guys fell back to what they know: Shooting people, and therefore send out their own troops to have a battle on the hull of their flagship. Sure, why not!)

-At the end I was wondering if the movie would be brazen enough to allow Kylo EvilMcBad back to the good guy's side, but his sacrifice to revive Rey came as a nice surprise, and his subsequent demise gave his personal arc a satisfying ending without leaving too many awkward questions.

-The entire galaxy showing up to fight the Sith-Fleet was a bit predictable, but to be honest, if you have some crazy guy coming back promising to blow up all your planets, cowering in fear would basically be suicide. With someone that far gone, the galactic powers could never be sure Palpatine 2.0 wouldn't just decide one day to blow up random planets just for fun, so sending out every armed ship in the entire galaxy (or let's be fair, a probably small fraction of the available ships of the entire galaxy) to stop the Death Sith Fleet before it can properly launch with all their planet killer beam cannons was basically the only reasonable choice for everyone.

-So, now there's only one Jedi left: Rey Skywalker. The Sith are gone, and in fact their entire temple has been blown up. The next trilogy will probably have to dig out some other ancient Sith-temple to make the EvilBadGuys come back for another round (Boo! Hiss!) or they'll have to dig out those extragalactic invaders from the Expanded Universe (Yay!!!). My thoughts on this matter are in parenthesis.

Anyway, the movie really moved me and hit all the right emotional strings, while keeping the unbelievable bullshit to an absolute minimum. I think next Summer or something I'll rewatch all ten movies (yes, I count Rogue: One as basically episode 3B, or 3,98). Oh, and I saw the trailer to both the Mandalorian and the new James Bond. Both movies looked good enough I'll probably break my only-one-movie-per-year rule and go watch them 2020.

And this are my first impressions of the new Star Wars movie.

Libluini fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Dec 22, 2019

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Libluini posted:

I saw the trailer to the Mandalorian

There’s a Mandalorian movie?

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.

Libluini posted:

-Speaking of bullshit, when the rebels launched their cavalry attack on an enemy capitalship I was nearly biting my arm off to prevent myself from laughing so loud I'd have been thrown out of the theater. Great comedy!

I liked the movie, but the funniest part for me was when Kylo Ren pulls that lightsaber from behind his back like Bugs Bunny pulling out a sledgehammer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samara
Jan 6, 2011

quote:

Deposited $150 at Mt Gox to try this Bitcoin thing out.

Stolen 6 days later. Really enjoyed my time there.

Helpful? Please donate - being this retarded ain't cheap!

Samara Investments
Basement Suite #101
Mom's House, Hometown FL
USAAA+
Star Wars is the ultimate Abusive Relationship. All of us have moments we love about it and things that we despise and hurt us over and over.

Yet we keep coming back. I wonder why that is