Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

I actually did get a buddy pass but when I went to use it I forgot that you had to have your phone on you and start with the app (I don't have a 'cast, just wanted to test my laptop) so I couldn't actually use it. My phone was dead so I put it on the nightstand to charge and my wife had gone to bed already and Stadia wasn't worth waking her up.

I will obviously still try it next time i have the urge (am drunk and bored at 1am) but drat that was instantly annoying

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

track day bro! posted:

I work in this area and pretty much 2 minutes walk away from that boxpark is a colt communications datacenter. Wonder if they have any dealings with google.... https://www.colt.net/product/dedicated-cloud-access/google-cloud/

See, yeah, this was my point. If Google's London HQ is nearby then there's no question their datacenters are nearby too. I lived in the SF Bay Area, I know how this poo poo works - of COURSE the data centers aren't right on site.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

Mods, plz change my name to BigSheep for now

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Google Stadia: BigSheep Energy

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Std probably flagged it.

I'm surprised Big Sheep wasn't taken though.

Tetrabor
Oct 14, 2018

Eight points of contact at all times!

Darth TNT posted:

Std probably flagged it.

Im surprised it attempts to find original names first, most algorithms just throw numbers on the end.

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

Darth TNT posted:

Std probably flagged it.

It is surprising, people pick names that are connected to their sense of identity, and that describes everyone that currently uses Stadia.

RagnarokZ
May 14, 2004

Emperor of the Internet
So this is basically the OUYA 2.0 at the stage.

So who's the completely idiotic defenders of this mess?

We have that one lone dude in the end of the OUYA thread, Xboxpants or something like that, who's the players this time around?

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013

Sudden Loud Noise posted:

It is surprising, people pick names that are connected to their sense of identity, and that describes everyone that currently uses Stadia.

I don’t think that’s fair. The people who choose to spend money on the founders edition aren’t sheep. They are bold pioneers, finding shortcuts to summits of experience, like the Reed Donner party.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

RagnarokZ posted:

We have that one lone dude in the end of the OUYA thread, Xboxpants or something like that, who's the players this time around?

From what I can tell, the Stadia subreddit is around 50% paid shills. And some of them aren't subtle at all about it; you can tell they're trying to work certain talking points into as many conversations as they can.

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
The mod team of the stadia subreddit are paid shills to, so you promptly have your post removed or get banned if you make too much of a noise

...!
Oct 5, 2003

Celexi posted:

The mod team of the stadia subreddit are paid shills to, so you promptly have your post removed or get banned if you make too much of a noise

Eh, I don't think that's the case. I'll give them credit for that much, at least. The mods seem to be pretty hands-off. I've never seen them ban or even warn anyone just for badmouthing Stadia, even when they're pretty rude about it.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

quote:

Fed up of Stadia haters! (self.Stadia)
submitted 3 hours ago * by mikebailey_uk

Is anyone else starting to get fed up with all of the haters that dismiss Stadia?

"Not everyone has high-speed internet" - I do sooooooo, what's the problem.

"There isn't good game selection" - Fair.....but how many games can you play at once, they're releasing more and I can wait.

"They lied about the quality" - Who give's a f@#k? It works for me and looks good enough, I didn't buy this because I'm spending more time counting pixels or framerate than playing the actual game.

"The lag is terrible" - It truly isn't, and for those saying that it couldn't be used for competition.....who the hell is using Stadia for competition?

I'm a casual gamer and for me Stadia is perfect, yeah so what it can go a bit pixelated or stutter every now and then.....and yeah, as a result, I've missed my shot in Destiny or ran off the track in Grid but guess what?!? I DIDN'T F@#KING CARE because it's a game!

I'm playing current-gen games on my TV or 10-year old laptop and it's absolutely amazing so I just guess that "haters gonna hate!"

quote:

Nexeno- [score hidden] 16 minutes ago

I recently watched a video about the Ouya, I think it was Crowbats, and some guy was fighting against a idiotic mob of pointless haters.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

quote:

How worried should Nintendo be? (self.Stadia)
submitted 15 days ago by VRgamer84

We keep hearing how Sony and Microsoft should be scared of Stadia but in my mind, Sony and MS are in much better position to survive in the streaming world and with Xcloud and PSNow/PS4 Remote play, they are already laying that groundwork.

Nintendo on the other hand is the company that should be downright terrified of this brave New world of game streaming and cloud gaming. Why? Well it's obvious if you think about it, Nintendo has gone all in on the play anywhere experience.

The entire business model of the Switch is to play quality games anywhere, the only thing with that though is their hardware is extremely underpowered and you can count on one hand the amount of new games actually work on it, oh and by "work" I mean Doom running at 30 FPS at 720p.

Now ask yourself this, why on Earth would anyone want a Nintendo product that runs current gen games at 720p 30 FPS when I can have Stadia and literally play the likes of Cyberpunk2077 on my phone with no downgrades in performance or graphics?

Yes Nintendo will always have it's Marios and Zeldas and Smash Brothers to carry them, but the issue is Nintendo doesn't have the servers and the technical prowess the likes of Google and Microsoft have to compete in the cloud space.

Once people catch on that they can play legit AAA level games literally on any screen, then Nintendo will need to adapt and adapt fast.

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat
I'm downright terrified of this brave new world of game streaming and cloud gaming

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
The mods of the reddit aren't just paid shills, they're actual google employees. Which is against reddit's rules.

And they have their auto-mod set to an incredibly strict setting that removes tons of poo poo. Check out the deleted posts. Most of them are people asking for or giving away buddy passes, but after you see that *all* video posts are blocked by the automod. (Including pro-stadia stuff!) Which means you have to ask permission before posting anything that might show lovely performance.

I don't know how much is shilling or anything, but it feels very inorganic.

Escape Goat
Jan 30, 2009

RagnarokZ posted:

hostile apostle posted:

Count me as the idiot who spend $129 on a $70 chromecast ultra and a $70 controller to play RDR2 (which I have not played yet) in actual 4K 60fps and not some upscaled fake 4k on a $350 PS4 Pro which I don't have.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

They made a goatse of their demands.

In summary: They want anything and everything and are goddamn sick of Destiny2 at this point.

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
lmao all the people that want to play competitive online games on it.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

im persona 5

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

...! posted:

From what I can tell, the Stadia subreddit is around 50% paid shills. And some of them aren't subtle at all about it; you can tell they're trying to work certain talking points into as many conversations as they can.

Take note, the big weekend community update took the previous shill metric of "Six year old laptop" out to a new high watermark of "ten year old laptop"

If this pace continues at even a double-declining depreciation rate, we'll have our first "Enjoying Stadia on my 486DX4/100" post by February.

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
I do like them saying they don't care about being lied to about resolution or quality when it was one of the selling points

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
I wouldn't want to read emails on a 10 year old laptop, let alone play Destiny with occasional choppiness and not really noticeable input lag.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

The unlabeled chalk-coloured segment at bottom-right of 6 o'clock? It's dignity Luanne. Dignity.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

I would very much like to see the Stadia Sekiro playthrough.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Ten year laptop guy sounds pretty insane.

Lemme try changing his argument for other consoles.

"Fed up of xbone haters! (self.xbone)
submitted 3 hours ago * by mikebailey_uk

Is anyone else starting to get fed up with all of the haters that dismiss Xbox one?

"Not everyone has high-speed internet" - I do sooooooo, what's the problem. Don't care that I have to download lots of gigs because the patching sucks, it's fine for my situation!

"There isn't good game selection" - Fair.....but how many games can you play at once, they're releasing more and I can wait. At least we have more exclusives at launch than ps4 amiright

"They lied about the quality" - Who give's a f@#k? It works for me and looks good enough, I didn't buy this because I'm spending more time counting pixels or framerate than playing the actual game.

"The lag is terrible" - It truly isn't, and for those saying that it couldn't be used for competition.....who the hell is using Xbox one for competition?

I'm a casual gamer and for me Xbox one is perfect, yeah so what it can go a bit pixelated or stutter every now and then.....and yeah, as a result, I've missed my shot in Destiny or ran off the track in lococycle but guess what?!? I DIDN'T F@#KING CARE because it's a game!"

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?

...but on the other hand, Nintendo has Zelda, and Mario and Smash, they don't need cloud gaming to keep up.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?
Nintendo should be scared. When I'm on a plane, in a car, in a hotel, in the hospital, in a Faraday cage, in a top secret facility that does not allow me access to WiFi, in the middle of the desert far away from civilization, I can still play my Switch.

Stadia on the other hand...

RagnarokZ
May 14, 2004

Emperor of the Internet

shadow puppet of a posted:

Take note, the big weekend community update took the previous shill metric of "Six year old laptop" out to a new high watermark of "ten year old laptop"

If this pace continues at even a double-declining depreciation rate, we'll have our first "Enjoying Stadia on my 486DX4/100" post by February.

Sucks to be them, Windows 7 goes the way of the dodo next year.

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime

In summary: They want anything and everything and are goddamn sick of Destiny2 at this point.

Isn't the latency add only like 40-70 Ms or something? That's not terrible tbh. Definitely not optimal.

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

And truly, why wouldn’t square port trials of mana to stadia because literally one person asked them to

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

why does everyone want to keep playing gta 5 still

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Stux posted:

Ever gotten a digital lapdance... at the beach?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Stux posted:

I know a guy who bought a PS3 and a PS4 for exactly one game, GTA5. There is a massive audience of people who thats all they play.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

Everything about this graphic is horrible.

First off, 3 dimensional graphs are the devil. There's one rule in the entire universe that has no exceptions, and that is you never make a 3D graph.

Plus, why would you want to render this information in graph format. It's not accurate at all, and there's too much noise. 0.15% is not a meaningful value. Why not just list the most popular games and the amount of people asking for them.

If you really wanted a graph, then why not ask which game of these five would you want the most.

And are people limited to one game? If not, that makes this graph even noisier than it already would be.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Stux posted:

there's tons of mods for multiplayer that won't work on stadia so what's the point

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!

Barudak posted:

I know a guy who bought a PS3 and a PS4 for exactly one game, GTA5. There is a massive audience of people who thats all they play.

There are also currently 80k people watching GTA5 on Twitch.

There's a very real target market for casual gamers who just wants to buy a few AAA games per year and is fine with it being 1080p, but I dunno if that's enough to justify Google keeping Stadia aflout.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Ah yes; Nintendo should be worried about Stadia, who can actually run games at *checks notes* 720p and 30 fps :shuckyes:.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

...!
Oct 5, 2003

Yeah, GTA Online (the multiplayer component of GTA 5) is still huge, and it's such a major cash cow for Rockstar that they're still putting a lot of effort into it. People continue to spend a ton of money on microtransactions in that drat game.

Edit: I seem to recall reading that GTA Online has been their top source of revenue by far ever since it released, right up to this very day.

...! fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Dec 23, 2019