Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stoatbringer
Sep 15, 2004

naw, you love it you little ho-bot :roboluv:

Zanzibar Ham posted:

Also I forgot how unnecessarily violent Lara's cutscene deaths/injuries were from when I watched an LP years ago.

Even back in Tomb Raider 1 Lara's deaths were always pretty brutal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Stoatbringer posted:

Even back in Tomb Raider 1 Lara's deaths were always pretty brutal.

There was the one where Lara gets turned into solid gold for example.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Zanzibar Ham posted:

On the other hand I'm playing TR2013 right now and I'm annoyed every time a cutscene starts up or a set-piece that forces me to play a specific way instead of going at things the way I want. Also I forgot how unnecessarily violent Lara's cutscene deaths/injuries were from when I watched an LP years ago.

You can’t spell unnecessarily without necessary

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Eclipse12 posted:

Something that might help with Diablo and its clones would be finding ways to make junk or repeat items become valuable. And not just as "break it down so I can reroll with a 1% to get something better." What if once you reached max level, every item you collect that's already in your stash can be used to give a small boost to that item.

For example, you have a level 60 rare mace in your stash. Each new mace you find of any rarity can be used to boost its base stats by a tiny amount. The better the found item, the bigger the boost. So even common/magic items become worth grabbing as, over time, they may make a previously useless item competitive with good legendaries, especially since the drop rate is higher

Isn't this basically Two Worlds' (in)famous "tape 20 swords together to make a really good sword" mechanic?

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
Just don't let crap items drop. Have the game look at what items have dropped already, and if the thing that's about to drop is worse than them, just drop some gold or a potion or something instead.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Gort posted:

Just don't let crap items drop. Have the game look at what items have dropped already, and if the thing that's about to drop is worse than them, just drop some gold or a potion or something instead.

that works until the game has a poo poo comparison mechanic and now you have to fake out the computer to manipulate it into dropping the good stuff

Eclipse12
Feb 20, 2008

Tunicate posted:

that works until the game has a poo poo comparison mechanic and now you have to fake out the computer to manipulate it into dropping the good stuff

That, and something about consistently seeing something drop is important to keep players going. It's like playing a slot machine. Even if you don't win, you need some type of response to let you know to try again. I saw some developer interview a long time ago that expounded on the importance of dropping Common items even late in the game when nobody would ever, ever want one. A consistent flow of items tells the player that items ARE dropping and if they're patient, eventually they'll get what they want.

Eclipse12
Feb 20, 2008

Also, in games like Diablo 3, it can be hard to quantify "better." A certain weapon has unarguably lower stats, but it will boost my buffs for this particular build more than simply a higher damage stat could.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

In Nioh, you can go into the options and tell the game to not even show you drops under a certain level.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
I'll say this, at least ARPGs have continually equated white with boring and bad.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel had a quest that rewarded a legendary shield, maybe not what you wanted but with possibly enough stats to be worth it, that had you turn in a ton of white-quality guns into a box. That was a fun wrinkle to the already too-small inventory they gave you.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
Grim Dawn has so much complexity and so many potentially important item modifiers, especially defensive ones, that unless you’re absolutely geared best-in-slot across the board you gotta look at everything that’s at least green or better. A perfect green item can be irreplaceable.

Doesn’t excuse white and yellow drops from existing but at least you can filter them out now.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

DQ11 Switch version having x2 and x3 battle speeds is nice- and maybe absolutely necessary for the 2D sections or if you decide to play the game like that the whole time- but I can't help being annoyed doing an attack and then the sound and animation are desynced from each other.

Also, the game has additional harder challenges you can opt into when you're making a new file but not at any point while playing the game and when you're fast forwarding things it just immediately goes over some of the dialogue that I want to read like how people just randomly get embarrased in battle by some form of nonsense like remembering 'cool' spell names you came up with as a kid or being lost in a cave and having to have your friend come find you but I can't adjust it to stop on those so I can read it, it just zooms off in under 1.125 seconds.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
So, a friend of mine got me sonic mania and everyone says it's the best sonic game. And I dunno, I just don't really see it? All of the new mania bits are kind of awful in my experience? Like - the first zone that isn't just a remake of an old sonic zone is almost entirely on rails and the boss just doesn't work. You're supposed to jump over red missiles, and hit blue missiles. It's dead simple and obvious; but it operates on physics that you don't see anywhere else in the game, to the point where invisible walls will halt your momentum out of nowhere and just drop you dead on a missile, and since you're basically moving on rails you can't get your rings back if you get hit. And that kind of design just fills every bit of the game that isn't a remake of an older sonic zone. Whereas the rest of the game is basically things like "what if we did chemical plan zone, but the water was also jello."

It doesn't help that the physics feel just a tiny bit too slippery, so the precise platforming required in later stages gets really weird when I land on a platform and then die almost instantly because a single pixel of sonic's shoes was off the ledge when the platform started to move up.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Second health bar boss gimmicks are always so bad, especially when that boss then acquires some instakill ability that you have to chew through another 10 minutes of the boring part to try again. Why do developers keep putting this in video games!

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?
So I am super late to the Subnautica train, but I picked it up since it's like $15 and was trying really hard to like it but...

- why do developers still think that tedious limited inventory management is a fun mechanic? I'm totally fine with the player having a limited inventory, but if you're going to allow me to build additional storage, then feel free to just pull from it automatically when I am crafting. Don't make me go to the storage to get one more Sea Noodle or whatever. Alternately: go the Minecraft route and let items stack in a single inventory slot.

- the RNG for world generation can really screw you in Subnautica. So much so to the point where it was easier to just quit and start a new game if you don't wind up with a decent starting setup. It can be the difference between having a Seaglide within minutes or it taking an hour+. The latter is kind of unacceptable for an item that's basically a necessity.

- I have yet to find a game where Hunger / Thirst adds anything good to gameplay. Subnautica is no exception. It adds tedium - that's it. It's not difficult to catch food or purify water - it's just annoying.

- I am playing on PS4 Pro, so I'm not sure if it's an issue on other platforms - but the framerate dropping to single digits when transitioning in or out of the water is pretty unacceptable in this day and age. It would be fine if it were just every once in a while, but it's literally every time you have to come up for air. It's SUPER jarring.

- the one thing they nailed? Being underwater and looking down over a DEEP drop off really does tickle my thalassophobia. I was derping around in Creative mode and go to some area near the big ship where there's a HUGE drop off into murky water and even knowing I couldn't be injured I was like "nope nope nope nope". Same for some of the Leviathan-class enemies. It took a good hour before I was the least bit comfortable surfacing in an area full of Reefbacks. I get they are mostly harmless, but they're HUGE and scary.

All that being said - in the end the primary gameplay loop is just not that fun. 2 minutes to hopefully collect things, surface, craft, rinse, repeat.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

HaB posted:

- I have yet to find a game where Hunger / Thirst adds anything good to gameplay. Subnautica is no exception. It adds tedium - that's it. It's not difficult to catch food or purify water - it's just annoying.

EVEN FOOD AND WATER ANNOY US

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

HaB posted:

When a game gives you the option at the beginning to not have hunger/thirst mechanics, you take it.

Nostradingus
Jul 13, 2009

Dienes posted:

When a game gives you the option at the beginning to not have hunger/thirst mechanics, you take it.

While I appreciate that subnautica gives you the choice, by doing so they clearly admit that it sucks so why even include it

Zinkraptor
Apr 24, 2012

Nuebot posted:

So, a friend of mine got me sonic mania and everyone says it's the best sonic game. And I dunno, I just don't really see it? All of the new mania bits are kind of awful in my experience? Like - the first zone that isn't just a remake of an old sonic zone is almost entirely on rails and the boss just doesn't work. You're supposed to jump over red missiles, and hit blue missiles. It's dead simple and obvious; but it operates on physics that you don't see anywhere else in the game, to the point where invisible walls will halt your momentum out of nowhere and just drop you dead on a missile, and since you're basically moving on rails you can't get your rings back if you get hit. And that kind of design just fills every bit of the game that isn't a remake of an older sonic zone. Whereas the rest of the game is basically things like "what if we did chemical plan zone, but the water was also jello."

It doesn't help that the physics feel just a tiny bit too slippery, so the precise platforming required in later stages gets really weird when I land on a platform and then die almost instantly because a single pixel of sonic's shoes was off the ledge when the platform started to move up.

It's worth keeping in mind that none of the stages are actually remakes, they're just have visuals based on old stages. The level design is completely different (and much bigger and more complex), so all of that is new as well. That said, the studiopolis act 1 boss is absolutely horrible, yeah. A lot of the bosses are. Personally, for me, it's the first 2D Genesis-style Sonic game I've really enjoyed, but it does have a few bullshit parts that can ruin it for some.

Edit: Here's a thing dragging the game down - the Stardust Speedway Act 2 boss was so bad it made me want to stop playing. Apparently it's been changed but I don't know how so maybe it's better, I dunno.

Zinkraptor has a new favorite as of 14:51 on Dec 23, 2019

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Dienes posted:

Why bother with thirst mechanics when you could play Final Fantasy XV, and have thirst mechanics.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Nostradingus posted:

While I appreciate that subnautica gives you the choice, by doing so they clearly admit that it sucks so why even include it

Because some people are monsters and put that into games by choice using third party mods

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Nostradingus posted:

There's masochists that mod in hunger/thirst/fatigue/temperature requirements into Skyrim and that grognard demographic must be accounted for.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
Having options for how you're going to play is the best decision a dev can make in a game.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
There are some RPGs where I'd love the option to be able to turn off random encounters. Octopath Traveler comes to mind, as there were some chapter stories that I did that my main party was way too powerful for, and the encounters were just a nuisance.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Leavemywife posted:

There are some RPGs where I'd love the option to be able to turn off random encounters. Octopath Traveler comes to mind, as there were some chapter stories that I did that my main party was way too powerful for, and the encounters were just a nuisance.

Your reward for beating the godawful superboss gauntlet is exactly that, which somehow makes it even more insulting

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

The amount of grinding required to get the "unlock all skills" achievement in Sekiro is ridiculous. I need 24 more points, and Genichiro in NG+++ is worth abvout 2/3s of one point. No idea why they decided to make the leveling curve so harsh.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.

Barudak posted:

Your reward for beating the godawful superboss gauntlet is exactly that, which somehow makes it even more insulting

And at that point, why the gently caress would I want/need that? It's like getting the most powerful weapon after beating the hardest challenges the game can offer. At least New Game+ can alleviate that last one.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Pathologic HD gives you too much time to finish tasks. It feels weird when you start to break into people houses simply because you have nothing else productive to do.

One More Fat Nerd
Apr 13, 2007

Mama’s Lil’ Louie

Nap Ghost

MiddleOne posted:

Pathologic HD gives you too much time to finish tasks. It feels weird when you start to break into people houses simply because you have nothing else productive to do.

I also remember being in middle school.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

exquisite tea posted:

Second health bar boss gimmicks are always so bad, especially when that boss then acquires some instakill ability that you have to chew through another 10 minutes of the boring part to try again. Why do developers keep putting this in video games!

This would be a good time to mention the last boss of Clock Tower 3, who has a double healthbar AND a one hit kill super move. Well ok it takes 3 "hits", but those hits just put a leash on you and keeps you in a small zone of movement. Once the third one hits you he does a super move and thats it, you're dead.

The kicker though is this: When you kill him there is a cutscene that happens. Then suddenly you're back in the fight. During the cutscene you lose your weapon and what you're supposed to do is run to a certain spot in the arena. And you can still die during this scene!

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

HaB posted:

- the RNG for world generation can really screw you in Subnautica. So much so to the point where it was easier to just quit and start a new game if you don't wind up with a decent starting setup. It can be the difference between having a Seaglide within minutes or it taking an hour+. The latter is kind of unacceptable for an item that's basically a necessity.

What RNG?

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?

I'm not sure how to be more specific than "the RNG for world generation".

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

HaB posted:

I'm not sure how to be more specific than "the RNG for world generation".

It’s a static map. The pod can land in some slightly different spots but always in the same zone and the map is always the same.

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

Ugly In The Morning posted:

It’s a static map. The pod can land in some slightly different spots but always in the same zone and the map is always the same.

I think the blueprint fragment spawns are mostly random. Like the spots are all the same but the bp's you will find there would be different in another playthrough.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

exquisite tea posted:

Why bother with thirst mechanics when you could play Final Fantasy XV, and have thirst mechanics.

Just wanted to let you know that I appreciated this.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
The bosses in GTA 3 have an obnoxious aspect that they seem to share - they come up with a plan, tell you to do it, then when it doesn't do what they wanted it to, they blame YOU for their lovely plan. So far Kenji of the Yakuza and Ray(?) the corrupt cop have both done it. It's annoying. OWN YOUR MISTAKES!

Olaf The Stout
Oct 16, 2009

FORUMS NO.1 SLEEPY DAWGS MEMESTER

BioEnchanted posted:

The bosses in GTA 3 have an obnoxious aspect that they seem to share - they come up with a plan, tell you to do it, then when it doesn't do what they wanted it to, they blame YOU for their lovely plan. So far Kenji of the Yakuza and Ray(?) the corrupt cop have both done it. It's annoying. OWN YOUR MISTAKES!

Owning your mistakes is a philosophy you imprint onto the poors, it's not for the rich. The rich way is to hire a series of proxies to do your dirty deeds then leave them twisting in the wind if anything goes wrong, leaving yourself carefully insulated from any fallout.

PremiumSupport
Aug 17, 2015

Olaf The Stout posted:

Owning your mistakes is a philosophy you imprint onto the poors, it's not for the rich. The rich way is to hire a series of proxies to do your dirty deeds then leave them twisting in the wind if anything goes wrong, leaving yourself carefully insulated from any fallout.

See also: Jabba the Hut:

Jabba: "Han, go smuggle this spice"
Han: "The Imp's caught me, I had to dump the cargo"
Jabba: "Not my problem, pay me for the spice!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

BioEnchanted posted:

Just like real life.