Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Has there been any word on what the next actual series is then? Apart from the second season of the anime and that SSSS Gridman sequel anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Larryb posted:

Has there been any word on what the next actual series is then? Apart from the second season of the anime and that SSSS Gridman sequel anyway.

If rumors are true, the next series is going to be a big 'un. Back to the full year schedule

Trogglodyte
Apr 5, 2015

Infinite Darkness
If I remember correctly, the trademark is "Ultraman Reiga" but I'm entirely willing to be wrong on that, I'm just going off of what I remember.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

SpazmasterX posted:

Why bother coming up with something new when you can just slap together things you've already done? I just hope the Mecha gimmick this time around is at least interesting rather than chunky and hampered by electronics and macguffins as it usually is.
They've done a whole lot of these and I doubt the average elementary schooler remembers the last time they did a car or magic themed series. As long as it's not a carbon copy of an old show, what's wrong with reusing old themes?

Kyoryuger was the third and best (fight me [I haven't seen the others actually]) dinosaur series so repetition is good.

Personally I'm most on board with the wrist morphers and the [Japanese Word] [English Word] intros ala Go-Onger.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Usually Ultraman series stuff starts slowly being shown around April/May in peeks and the series starts are in July.

Taiga is the last of the New Generation Heroes line. Next series should be interesting to see how they go about things.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Larryb posted:

Well speaking of the mecha, here’s Red’s:

We seen so many of these Reds with big, wedges cars that I already know how their mecha will form just looking as this one.

At least it’ll look better than the last vehicle Sentai did so long as they don’t just slap trucks on as limbs and call it a day.

Geostomp fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Dec 21, 2019

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

It being cars also seems to confirm the name is a Go-Onger situation and the Mashin is supposed to be read as Machine.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Waffleman_ posted:

It being cars also seems to confirm the name is a Go-Onger situation and the Mashin is supposed to be read as Machine.
Yeah, it was funny that there were people thinking it would be anything else. Sentai themes tend to be either very specific and simple (Pirate, Dinosaur, Magic) or a equally simple but with a goof on a kanji or English word (Ressha with intense+vehicle instead of line, or Flame God -> En Jin - Engine.)

In this case Ma Shin is meaningless so there was no way it wasn't just them being cute with Machine.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

I'm not really that deep into Taiga, like ep9 or so and honestly the cast isn't keeping me. And these shows live or die by the cast and how quickly the viewer adopts them.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

Yeah, it was funny that there were people thinking it would be anything else. Sentai themes tend to be either very specific and simple (Pirate, Dinosaur, Magic) or a equally simple but with a goof on a kanji or English word (Ressha with intense+vehicle instead of line, or Flame God -> En Jin - Engine.)

In this case Ma Shin is meaningless so there was no way it wasn't just them being cute with Machine.

When Kamen Rider used "mashin" it was a pun since they had kanji associated with it in addition to it just being "machine"

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008

So, the sashes look like roads. That's cute, at least.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

McTimmy posted:

So, the sashes look like roads. That's cute, at least.

Will the diamond cars drive on the roads during the transformation?

Trogglodyte
Apr 5, 2015

Infinite Darkness

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

Funnily enough it's the same kanji compound for Mashin Chaser's name (魔進), and I think I've seen it elsewhere in a non-Toei product, so I think it's just a way to basically write out "machine" in ateji.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic

Larryb posted:

Well speaking of the mecha, here’s Red’s:

At least fill Tridoron back up before you give it back, Red.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

coconono posted:

I'm not really that deep into Taiga, like ep9 or so and honestly the cast isn't keeping me. And these shows live or die by the cast and how quickly the viewer adopts them.

The sad thing was there were one or two episodes that really had a glimmer of hope (to me, anyway) and that it would have something to separate it from other Ultra Series, and it ran into the ground anyway.

Larryb posted:

Just to clarify something, is Shin Ultraman the next series after Taiga or a separate project altogether?

Separate cinematic project, probably once again a whole new continuity, probably won't really get tied into the 'main' Ultra multiverses, much the same way you don't really see The Next show up anywhere else including live shows, and the Nexus tie-in seems incredibly ham-handed anyway.

Ultra Galaxy Fight: New Generation Heroes Episode 13, more thoughts:

Ultraman Zero conclusively shows that the R/B show takes place in a different Ultra universe from the others by taking Grigio back to it while R/B stay to take the fight to Tregear.

English dub still sounds like out-of-work radio announcers used to doing drug commercials trying to sound heroic.

Tregear's voice actor sounds like the only one taking this seriously, although just having a British accent ups the evilness.

At least the original Japanese actors who voiced their Ultras got to keep their parts, so to speak.

Making a series with none of the alter egos appearing makes things a little dry.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
The original Showa universe got left a long time ago anyways.

Ultra Galaxy took place in the FAR future, tens of thousands of years, of that time line. Which is part of the reason why Zero can pop up and not be an immediate what the gently caress- he was born after all of the earth stuff Seven went through.

Which does raise the question about why Zero never knew who his dad was but after Seven spent so many years trapped in different places and realities, eh

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Ultra shows are in different dimentions/realities as need to be. A few characters can jump between dimentions, such as Zero and Tregaer.

This means that all Ultras are canon.

Yes even Ultraman Kids.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Good, that means UltraSeven has even more kids he can abandon and ignore

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Honestly I wish there would be some more Ultra Women. Like, even if they started showing some of the Mothers (not just Mari).

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

Honestly I wish there would be some more Ultra Women. Like, even if they started showing some of the Mothers (not just Mari).

For whatever reason, we've seen more animated Ultra-ladies than not.

I don't know what the excuse for not talking about Taro's wife is though. Zero's mom at least was confirmed to not want Seven involved in her son's life and is a scientist.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

Ultra shows are in different dimentions/realities as need to be. A few characters can jump between dimentions, such as Zero and Tregaer.

Technically, you wanna know who was the first Ultraman to jump dimensions? Ultraman Gaia, in the Tiga/Gaia/Dyna movie. Though technically, it wasn't Gaia doing the crossing but his host Gamu using one of his macguffiny inventions, the Adventure, visiting an Earth in which he is a fictional character. (I loved the scene of the shopkeeper proudly brandishing his Esplender to Gamu, who immediately recognized him)

It's also interesting to note that a conceit from the TGD movie carried over to the Ultraman Zero movie, in which every Ultra pools their energy into Zero so he can travel through the multiverse; when Zero finally arrives in an alternate universe, his energy depletes much faster than it usually does in his home dimension, what with certain universal constants that his energy is based upon probably being different in the non-native universe.

quote:

This means that all Ultras are canon.

Yes even Ultraman Kids.

Even.. Ultra Nyan?! Welp since Ultraman Nice still shows up in the live shows every so often..

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Binary Badger posted:

Even.. Ultra Nyan?! Welp since Ultraman Nice still shows up in the live shows every so often..

Especially Ultra Nyan.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

Especially Ultra Nyan.

Lulu will be pleased to hear that :v:

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Trogglodyte posted:

Funnily enough it's the same kanji compound for Mashin Chaser's name (魔進), and I think I've seen it elsewhere in a non-Toei product, so I think it's just a way to basically write out "machine" in ateji.

the kanji itself means "demon" and "to make progress" so rider wiki literally translates it to "advanced demon" which is basically a decent description of Chase at the beginning of Drive. With Kirameijer, they might use a different set of kanji or just keep the kana

Apparently, there's already a Wikipedia page for Kirameijer. Except it's the Chinese wikipedia.

Scratchman Apoo
Mar 27, 2011

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

Kyoryuger was the third and best (fight me [I haven't seen the others actually]) dinosaur series so repetition is good.

Zyu isn't the strongest series, but Abaranger is without a doubt better than Kyoryuger. It's silly, but Abare Black might have one of the best stories in the franchise. He fights SO HARD to reclaim what he's lost.

Scratchman Apoo fucked around with this message at 14:07 on Dec 22, 2019

Trogglodyte
Apr 5, 2015

Infinite Darkness

Xelkelvos posted:

With Kirameijer, they might use a different set of kanji or just keep the kana
It actually seriously is just 魔進 for Kiramager. The full Japanese name is 魔進戦隊キラメイジャー so I'm like 75% sure it's just an ateji situation.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S
Zero-One 16 is up on O-T, and Shining Assault Hopper has funnels. This form is incredible.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

https://twitter.com/Shame082017/status/1208827948658233344?s=20

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

King of Solomon posted:

Zero-One 16 is up on O-T, and Shining Assault Hopper has funnels. This form is incredible.

Gai Amatsu sure as hell is very hateable as a main bad guy!

M.Matsuda
May 9, 2014

May the Sacred Flame shine forth!

SatoshiMiwa posted:

he's Such a good Heel.

i meanwhile watched more Kuuga. BOY THE ENDING OF EP 30 :stonk: i also did Den-o well i knew Going in Yuuto's plot would break my heart and it did. Yuuto.. :negative: my next ep is 33. and Double was 27-30. wow ep 29-30 were the worst. bad direction, bad editing, a weak script, and an insulting way of giving us Akiko!Double. and it doesn't even have the decency to be skippable, though the stuff with Phillip's plotline Was good. 27-28 meanwhile were fine. but sakamoto. Please. no.

super-redguy
Jan 24, 2019

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NBHIGKCRrNU

This lil' chat between Yuki Sato and Hiro Mizushima might not be super relevant, but it's nice to see how they've gone in life.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

SatoshiMiwa posted:

Him taking power seems to mark the point where the show will start getting darker and I can’t wait.

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe
wasn't sold on them in pictures, but I love both of the Assault forms in motion. Going to be sad to see them be replaced.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Ultraman Powered is going to appear in the new Taiga movie? Of all the characters they're resurrecting, why him? Why not Ultraman Great? Or live action Joneus?

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Binary Badger posted:

Ultraman Powered is going to appear in the new Taiga movie? Of all the characters they're resurrecting, why him? Why not Ultraman Great? Or live action Joneus?

If I had to FATHOM a guess

He's the first American Ultraman, and there's been rumblings about Tsuburaya pursing a new American Ultraman series of late. Which with the clout Shin Ultraman and the Marvel series could bring...

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

https://twitter.com/tokusatsumin/status/1209825903682846721

Tragedienne
Sep 7, 2007

"I need your stage no longer. I dance for myself."

This is what Sentai has come to, alternating series between dinosaurs and vehicles...

....until we get dinosaur vehicles.

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

Tragedienne posted:

....until we get dinosaur vehicles.

Go on...

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

I'm telling you, Dinosaur Trains is when we know Sentai finally is on its last legs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

...ger