Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

al-azad posted:

Poe's sidelining after his entire arc of learning how to be a true leader is second in character betrayals, the first being Rose who got fewer lines than unicycle-droid.

I like the part where Rey needs a pep talk from ghost zizek luke AFTER she manages to turn ben solo but i guess they had to get her in luke's x-wing so they can reference the thing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

JUST FUCKING TAKE OFF ALREADY, SHIT
Kylo busted a nut so hard after kissing Rey it blew his goddamn heart out.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I like how that movie title references how the whole family of Skywalker came together at the end.

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog
How can Skywalker rise when "up" is relative in space?

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

The Vector of Skywalker

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Clarste posted:

But you have to distinguish between the Sith as a specific cult and the Sith as just really angry Jedi.

Actually it is hilarious to me that there is an evil empire founded on the principle of really angry men being in charge.

The most realistic thing about Star Wars tbh

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

YaketySass posted:

How can Skywalker rise when "up" is relative in space?

There is a control tower which tells them which way to go.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

xarph posted:

Once the blu ray is out and people can easily fool with it in Premiere, I really want to see a supercut of leia talking in reverse angle to the bruce lee cardboard cutouts in Game of Death.

I want one of those cuts where they loop and stretch a clip out so a scene is forty times longer. Of the scene where Kylo is shifting Rey’s corpse around. It felt long but I want that extendo cut.

Rabble
Dec 3, 2005

Pillbug

well why not posted:

I want one of those cuts where they loop and stretch a clip out so a scene is forty times longer. Of the scene where Kylo is shifting Rey’s corpse around. It felt long but I want that extendo cut.

I want to replace the festival scene with the entire pod race from the phantom menace.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

this movie features some of my favourite Skywalkers, notably: Darth Vader, Leia Organa, and Kylo Ren/Ben Solo

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Did the random new ex-stormtroopers serve any useful plot purpose other than giving us space camels to ride on the star destroyer?

There was a scene that I guess was supposed to be a heart to heart with Finn, and then some sort of (what I read as) spinoff tease with Lando?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Martytoof posted:

Did the random new ex-stormtroopers serve any useful plot purpose other than giving us space camels to ride on the star destroyer?

There was a scene that I guess was supposed to be a heart to heart with Finn, and then some sort of (what I read as) spinoff tease with Lando?

"We want Finn to have a love interest but it can't be Rose because we are cowards afraid of racists so we made a female version of Finn instead."

Hobo Clown
Oct 16, 2012

Here it is, Baby.
Your killer track.

I'm still mad they brought in Harrison Ford to be a not-force ghost when Anakin is clearly the better option for that scene. You continue the grandfather theme, Kylo gets his face-turn pep talk from the guy he's been wrongfully idolizing, force ghosts are already a thing so you don't have to explain "memories" or whatever, and it adds some more fan service to the pile. I get that Hayden is from the dreaded prequels but it's still part of the *saga* that's ending. Close some loops!

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Hobo Clown posted:

I'm still mad they brought in Harrison Ford to be a not-force ghost when Anakin is clearly the better option for that scene. You continue the grandfather theme, Kylo gets his face-turn pep talk from the guy he's been wrongfully idolizing, force ghosts are already a thing so you don't have to explain "memories" or whatever, and it adds some more fan service to the pile. I get that Hayden is from the dreaded prequels but it's still part of the *saga* that's ending. Close some loops!

gently caress you are right

Anakin would have owned there.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
Right but THIS WILL BEGIN TO MAKE THINGS RIGHT so they can’t acknowledge the prequels.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

ImpAtom posted:

"We want Finn to have a love interest but it can't be Rose because we are cowards afraid of racists so we made a female version of Finn instead."

Honestly there's nothing that would piss of chuds upset about an female Asian character than a Black woman character but they made sure to keep her in the background with fuckall to do so crisis averted I guess.

euphronius posted:

Given all the throwbacks and fan service they included skipping this one is just illogical.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

euphronius posted:

The Han scene is necessary because narratively it's the final push Ben needed to embrace to the light again, much how it was that same mirrored choice that nearly sealed him off to the dark side. It works fine, imo.

If force-ghost Anakin were to be anywhere in the film, I think it should've either been during the moments where Ben was struggling to rise up from the pit that Sheev threw him into, or the moment where he's embracing Rey just before he brings her back to life by sacrificing himself. The latter was suggested in the other thread, and would've resonated strongly with Anakin not being able to save the one he loved from dying.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Walked out on this trash two thirds through, read a synopsis, and I'm not seeing another.

What a mess of a movie. The lack of a single artistic vision doomed this trilogy; this film trying to simultaneously develop plot points from TFA and reverse plot points from TLJ was a train wreck. Characters get one line and are then pushed aside forever, new characters show up for 15 minutes then peace out. Everything is undeveloped and poorly presented. Bad, bad, bad movie.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

$175 mil opening for your finale, which is down $45 mil from the previous entry and $65 mil from the first one is really not a good sign

I'll be more curious as to how short the legs on this film are since I have to think that the most die-hard fans will have gone opening weekend and will probably not be rewatching

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

I saw the first two in theaters, won't be doing the same for this one. It just sounds like an absolute waste of time, albeit an entertaining one if you ignore all the failings and just focus on the spectacle.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

The Rise of Skywalker refers to the erection Ben had right after kissing Rey and just before he died.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

FlamingLiberal posted:

$175 mil opening for your finale, which is down $45 mil from the previous entry and $65 mil from the first one is really not a good sign

I'll be more curious as to how short the legs on this film are since I have to think that the most die-hard fans will have gone opening weekend and will probably not be rewatching
People keep saying this like Solo and Rogue One didn't also exist. These three films don't exist in a vacuum and the combination of Star Wars being overexposed to gently caress and back and everybody becoming so loving sick of the toxic discourse surrounding the property perpetrated by its worst fans very likely had a huge effect on these numbers going down as time goes by.

As for this movie, I quite enjoyed it. Time will tell whether or not I liked it, if you can appreciate the distinction. And a lot more threads were carried over from Last Jedi than people led me to believe, so really the only dropped elements of TLJ that bother me are Rose being borderline memory-holed and Jedi saviours not having to be from special families.

Seriously, though. The Galaxy is one small town where everybody knows each other and is related and they need to stop that.

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group

Doronin posted:

That show is awesome as hell. I say that with zero irony, because it's really godamn good.

Also, on all the wayfinder stuff on this page, that knife was one stupendously stupid plot device. It's such a contrivance that I very nearly audibly groaned in the theater, but didn't want to mess up anyone's viewing experience. Even in the moment I couldn't really justify the notion of its existence in my mind. So someone who spoke/understood "sith," showed up, with very specific knowledge of this hidden object in the Emperor's throne room, made that knife with teeth similar to a key, and with no worries about all that wreckage settling in the ocean floor, rusting away, etc... Not sure if that whole element was more lazy, or dumb. Unless that OG dude, or whatever his name was, made it? But even still, metal in all its forms tends to rust and decay over time.

Also, I've read a lot of the new extended canon, but but has it been established anywhere that the Sith had a specific language, alphabet and so forth?

I thought it was weird the Senate would have specifically outlawed translation of that language, but then I remembered that Sheev's whole ruse in the PT didn't work if anyone thought the Sith "were back" or an actual threat. So keeping anyone from learning about them or their ways made sense.

So so dumb. Just make it a discovery that Palpatine brought a map with him everywhere and of course it's at the throne room because that's where he died.

Done. No mcguffin and there's room to breathe.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

the average person does not give the slightest gently caress that there are twitter slapfights over star wars, you can't blame worse box offices numbers on that

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

WSAENOTSOCK posted:

Seriously, though. The Galaxy is one small town where everybody knows each other and is related and they need to stop that.

This and the theme of "nothing and no one is beyond redemption" are things that keep me from really enjoying most Star Wars things.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Mat Cauthon posted:

This and the theme of "nothing and no one is beyond redemption" are things that keep me from really enjoying most Star Wars things.
That, too, for sure. At the very least, all the fascists who are redeemed die, because the only good Nazi is a dead one.

Gorelab
Dec 26, 2006

Honestly the redemption stuff is fineish to me, it's the romance that annoyed me way more.

Hobo Clown
Oct 16, 2012

Here it is, Baby.
Your killer track.

I'm glad at least that Hux remained an idiot slapstick fascist to the very end.

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.
My expectations were rock bottom going in but Holy poo poo

"Who are you and what's your last name?" asks the old lady who apparently passes by this abandoned burnt out homestead every so often to see if someone moved in.

But good job looking and sounding like a star wars I guess. No mistaking it for some other film.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler

Hobo Clown posted:

I'm glad at least that Hux remained an idiot slapstick fascist to the very end.

Hux is probably the best character across all these movies, from his crazy speech in Force Awakens to getting unceremoniously blasted. He's a little poo poo through and through and I love it.

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

We need more women in STEM, and by that, I mean skateboarding, television, esports, and magic.
I agree with the idea that they shouldn't split up trilogies between multiple directors and writers again; this trilogy would've been better if it had been 100% Abrams or 100% Johnson.

Hobo Clown posted:

I was so happy to see Harrison Ford that I didn't think of this, but you're right that this would've made more sense.

That said, I did kind of want the final fight to end in a Father-Son Kamehameha (or the Luke/Leia/Anakin/Ben equivalent) so the more Force Ghost Bullshit the better. The whispers in Rey's head were fine, but I wanted the visuals! ...And also for Bruce Faulconer music to kick in.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

teagone posted:

The Han scene is necessary because narratively it's the final push Ben needed to embrace to the light again, much how it was that same mirrored choice that nearly sealed him off to the dark side. It works fine, imo.

If force-ghost Anakin were to be anywhere in the film, I think it should've either been during the moments where Ben was struggling to rise up from the pit that Sheev threw him into, or the moment where he's embracing Rey just before he brings her back to life by sacrificing himself. The latter was suggested in the other thread, and would've resonated strongly with Anakin not being able to save the one he loved from dying.

Yeah. Would have been incredible powerful. He even looks like he did still.

I guess it makes sense why they didn’t as Anakin had not been in the previous two movies. Anyway the movie imho worked very well establishing the Skywalker clan against Palpatine. It was pretty good

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

surf rock posted:

I agree with the idea that they shouldn't split up trilogies between multiple directors and writers again; this trilogy would've been better if it had been 100% Abrams or 100% Johnson.

I was so happy to see Harrison Ford that I didn't think of this, but you're right that this would've made more sense.

That said, I did kind of want the final fight to end in a Father-Son Kamehameha (or the Luke/Leia/Anakin/Ben equivalent) so the more Force Ghost Bullshit the better. The whispers in Rey's head were fine, but I wanted the visuals! ...And also for Bruce Faulconer music to kick in.

I thought the Rey’s vision fading out to deep space was pretty effective. Though seeing some those Jedi may also have worked

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Thinking about it yes for Star Wars nerds anakins ghost on the Death Star wreckage would have been the best.

Also Ben solo should have been a Tatooine ghost in the end

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

WSAENOTSOCK posted:

People keep saying this like Solo and Rogue One didn't also exist. These three films don't exist in a vacuum and the combination of Star Wars being overexposed to gently caress and back and everybody becoming so loving sick of the toxic discourse surrounding the property perpetrated by its worst fans very likely had a huge effect on these numbers going down as time goes by.

As for this movie, I quite enjoyed it. Time will tell whether or not I liked it, if you can appreciate the distinction. And a lot more threads were carried over from Last Jedi than people led me to believe, so really the only dropped elements of TLJ that bother me are Rose being borderline memory-holed and Jedi saviours not having to be from special families.

There also is the decision to have the movies 2 years apart instead of 3...for some reason? Besides more money now. Maybe.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
it's now canon that kylo ren came so hard he became a cum ghost

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

I thought it would have been interesting if Ghost Vader had appeared to Ren at the end, showing him what he long idolized, but then the image swirled away like mist in the winds, and Ghost Anakin had stepped from it.

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

I'm mostly annoyed that I've been waiting for a Star Wars space battle to at least rival Yavin or Endor, and it just felt like a busy mess with too much poo poo on the screen and no real stakes or consequences. And no interesting ship designs. The TIE Dagger is ok, I guess, but it really feels like there's some counter-marketing lunatic at Disney who's doing the best to make sure the franchise can't make any cool spaceship toys to sell.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Panzeh posted:

I like the part where Rey needs a pep talk from ghost zizek luke AFTER she manages to turn ben solo but i guess they had to get her in luke's x-wing so they can reference the thing

don't you shee? you musht view the forche through the lensh of dialectical materialishm for your path *snffff* to become clear.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Davros1 posted:

I thought it would have been interesting if Ghost Vader had appeared to Ren at the end, showing him what he long idolized, but then the image swirled away like mist in the winds, and Ghost Anakin had stepped from it.

Yeah I don't know why this kind of imagery wasn't included. I hope it was at least brought up during production, because lmao, poo poo just makes sense.