Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Roach Warehouse
Nov 1, 2010

I wish Sheeve kept up his rejuvenation and pushed through the distorted toad phase to become a pristine McDiarmid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TerminalRaptor
Nov 6, 2012

Mostly Harmless

Horizon Burning posted:

in the comics, the temple exploded for no reason after kylo brought his little hut down on luke. then, after trying to save padawans from the burning rubble, kylo tried to explain what happened to other padawans who arrived shortly after the explosion. they did not believe kylo, pulled out their lightsabers, and attacked. kylo fought them back but didn't kill or even harm any of them. the jedi pursued him off the planet and, apparently, all the way into snoke's arms.

yes, i'm serious.

Coming soon from Disney: Star Wars Padwans.

With their Jedi training temple destroyed and master Skywalker feared dead a group of young padwans must set out into the universe with their training incomplete and only each other to rely on. Will they fall to the dark side? Tune in to find out...

...that, no they don't. Amazingly they survive all the obstacles thrown at them, and through some contrivance bull poo poo manage to be someplace else when the movies take place.

One of the ideas I thought would have been great before this series went totally in the toilet was having Luke's surviving students show up to save the day at the end of The Last Jedi. It would have been an emotional moment for Luke to realize that not only some had survived, but they went on carrying the ideals he had thought them.

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

Oh yeah, baby. Frame your suffering as a masterpiece. Only one problem - no one's watching. It's boring, buddy, boring as death.
Babu Frik
Do doo do doo do doo

HorseLord
Aug 26, 2014

Rochallor posted:

There is so much dumb poo poo in this movie that I've almost forgotten Rey accidentally blowing up the shuttle in what might be the funniest scene in a movie I've scene all year. Have you ever tried to pick up something really heavy, and then instead of lifting it, you accidentally punch it?

I'm telling you, they should've had chewie really die when that happened. It'd turn this from a trainwreck into a masterpiece.

nemesis_hub
Nov 27, 2006

TerminalRaptor posted:

One of the ideas I thought would have been great before this series went totally in the toilet was having Luke's surviving students show up to save the day at the end of The Last Jedi. It would have been an emotional moment for Luke to realize that not only some had survived, but they went on carrying the ideals he had thought them.

Once again, a casually tossed off idea in this thread is better than what actually happens in the movie.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Hobo Clown posted:

I'm still mad they brought in Harrison Ford to be a not-force ghost when Anakin is clearly the better option for that scene. You continue the grandfather theme, Kylo gets his face-turn pep talk from the guy he's been wrongfully idolizing, force ghosts are already a thing so you don't have to explain "memories" or whatever, and it adds some more fan service to the pile. I get that Hayden is from the dreaded prequels but it's still part of the *saga* that's ending. Close some loops!

I would've lost my poo poo in theater if it was force ghost Hayden gently caress

Rey channelling all Jedi was pretty anime but they should have gone really anime and have bad CGI ghosts guiding her, especially SLJ for the reverse lightning. Go big or go home you already have an improbable flotilia of undead star destroyers with death star cannons you are already hosed up on baby bullshit.

fatherboxx fucked around with this message at 09:54 on Dec 23, 2019

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

Let me start off with a basket of chips. Then move on to the pollo asado taco.

HorseLord posted:

I'm telling you, they should've had chewie really die when that happened. It'd turn this from a trainwreck into a masterpiece.

I honestly wish he did so something had some kind of consequence here. Chewie died! Nah he’s fine. C3PO’s memory is wiped! Nah he’s fine. Rey died! Nah she’s fine! I mean you could argue Kylo but it felt like his fate was sealed in TFA - there was no way he was getting out alive.

Raccooon
Dec 5, 2009

I'm all the Jedi was the most cringey scene I have felt for the writers in a movie.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
palpatine buying into his own bullshit about the sith being important, rather than just a means to UNLIMITED POWER!!!, was dreadful

Marin Karin
Jul 29, 2011

What are you, compared to my magnificence?

thepokey posted:

I honestly wish he did so something had some kind of consequence here. Chewie died! Nah he’s fine. C3PO’s memory is wiped! Nah he’s fine. Rey died! Nah she’s fine! I mean you could argue Kylo but it felt like his fate was sealed in TFA - there was no way he was getting out alive.

kylo dying follows the trend of avoiding any consequences. it's a cheap way to do a redemption arc - "oh the genocidal maniac is a good guy, but he died so now he doesn't have to face any to the things he did"

everyone wants to be zuko, but no one has the skill to write zuko

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

I can't believe theres already been 5 disney star wars movies

Antifa Spacemarine
Jan 11, 2011

Tzeentch can suck it.
I liked the girl smuggler whose only purpose was to take off her visor (but not full helmet) to establish she IS hot, and that Poe wants to bang her and is NOT gay.

Don't worry, there were nameless consolation lesbians so the LGBTs will be sated.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Marin Karin posted:

kylo dying follows the trend of avoiding any consequences. it's a cheap way to do a redemption arc - "oh the genocidal maniac is a good guy, but he died so now he doesn't have to face any to the things he did"

I mean the point of Zuko was he was always wavering and on the cusp of doing terrible things. It's not like Kylo's irredeemable if he kills Han Solo, everyone's allowed "One" murder brought about by the conflict of their emotions. But no one is allowed more. At the very least with Vader before he slaughtered children, it was totally buyable. The moment he was a kiddie killer, it became dumb.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Marin Karin posted:

It would've been such an improvement to have him live, and with his only advocate dead he has to head into the twin sunset as a hated man with the deaths of billions on his shoulders and a likely impossible journey ahead of him to even begin to atone.

But instead we get a Chick Tract version of redemption

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Shaman Ooglaboogla posted:

I liked the girl smuggler whose only purpose was to take off her visor (but not full helmet) to establish she IS hot, and that Poe wants to bang her and is NOT gay.

Don't worry, there were nameless consolation lesbians so the LGBTs will be sated.

Poe gets a girlfriend and the camera focuses on her rear end and her eyes in that order. Finn gets a girlfriend too. Can't possibly let Finn and Poe be gay for one another, despite them having the only actual chemistry in the series.

Seriously, the jacket scene from TFA was (obviously unintentionally) more interesting than any other romantic chemistry in this whole dumpster fire.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Shaman Ooglaboogla posted:

she also had rear end is a tight suit which is, fair, because Keri Russell why not

both Poe and Finn got such definitive injections of the Case of Notgays like it is early 90s or something

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
How did they know they needed the Knife after C-3P0 translated it? They know where they need to go, they don't know Chewie's alive, they don't have time to for this poo poo. Why did they go to the Star Destroyer?

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is

Comstar posted:

How did they know they needed the Knife after C-3P0 translated it? They know where they need to go, they don't know Chewie's alive, they don't have time to for this poo poo. Why did they go to the Star Destroyer?

i've already forgotten half the bullshit in the opening act but i think they get a message from the spy saying they've captured an important prisoner and rey senses that it's chewie using the force? which is kinda silly because prior to this it was always force-sensitive people finding each other but gently caress it that's hardly the most egregious thing about this stupid maguffin chasing section of the movie

no idea how they justify chasing the knife around except to split rey up from the others so she can dramatically confront kylo and then escape

e: ah, i figured out which parts of the movie are referencing the prequels as part of this movie being a celebration of all of star wars: the opening is a homage to episode 2's elaborate scheme, except it's even stupider

Gargamel Gibson
Apr 24, 2014
What was the super important thing that Finn wanted to tell Rey?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Gargamel Gibson posted:

I'm sure no one knows, least of all the director.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

Comstar posted:

Yeah They definitely knew chewie was alive, so they went to go save him.

Gargamel Gibson posted:

Apparently at some screening Q&A, JJ said it was that he was force sensitive, but that doesn’t make any sense because why would he be shy about saying that around Poe?

Look in your heart. You know what he was going to say.

Edit: sourcing is dubious as gently caress but here you go

https://twitter.com/ar1aster/status/1208293387310264320?s=21

Marin Karin
Jul 29, 2011

What are you, compared to my magnificence?

every time i see that i think of this response

https://twitter.com/JennyENicholson/status/1208564493988417536

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Rey, I meant to tell you earlier.......Maclunkey

Hobo Clown
Oct 16, 2012

Here it is, Baby.
Your killer track.

Rey can use the force to spot a wookiee in orbit from the ground, she should already be well aware that the thirsty dude she spends most of her time with is force sensitive.

Obviously she knows but is playing dumb because she's just not that into you, Finn.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

Gaunab posted:

That whole part was so stupid. Why do the bombers move so slow? Why are there even bombers in space; there's no gravity.

In the scene where the bombers attack the dreadnaught, it you look closely you will see a large greenish object in the background. Without getting too technical, it's this object which allows the bombs to work. I actually have a screenshot where the object is visible, see if you can spot it:

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

2house2fly posted:

In the scene where the bombers attack the dreadnaught, it you look closely you will see a large greenish object in the background. Without getting too technical, it's this object which allows the bombs to work. I actually have a screenshot where the object is visible, see if you can spot it:

You know gravity isn't infinite right? There's a limit to how much force is exerted by a planetary body? They're not close enough to that planet for the bombs to be caught in a gravity well

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I enjoyed Babu.

Please make a movie disney

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Gaunab posted:

That whole part was so stupid. Why do the bombers move so slow? Why are there even bombers in space; there's no gravity.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=phGlo_TNDp0

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

Onmi posted:

You know gravity isn't infinite right? There's a limit to how much force is exerted by a planetary body? They're not close enough to that planet for the bombs to be caught in a gravity well

A fun experiment you can do here to back this assertion up is to google the phrase "is gravity infinite"

Rabelais D
Dec 11, 2012

ts'u nnu k'u k'o t'khye:
A demon doth defecate at thy door
JJ Abrams has yet to actually direct a proper space battle despite directing two Star Treks (one of which was a remake of a film famous for its depiction of naval combat in space) and two Star Wars movies. At this point I think he's doing it on purpose.

zelah
Dec 1, 2004

Diabetes, you are not invited to my pizza party.
Do people not remember that there were tie bombers in the original trilogy? They bomb the asteroid that the worm/falcon were on.

Y-wings are also bombers.

Combat Theory
Jul 16, 2017

its a bold claim to compare the only bombing scene in the OT which honestly looks like the bombers "Throw" the bombs out of ther launch rack (the structure below the second Pod on a TIE Bomber) to that turd of a space battle Johnson came up with after (in his own words) "Wanting to recreate a WW2 Bombing run - in space"

the ST has no good space battle, it doesnt even have a passable space Battle. Rogue Ones last act did more to honor the WARS part of STAR WARS than the entire ST.

Neither JJ nor Jonson can frame a good battle. They both can do small action. Johnson never left his comfort zone regarding that and abrams tried to paint over his inability to do so with flash and lightning and fast cuts in order to overwhelm the viewer into submission that yes, this is an actual Battle and not a skirmish or a Hero fight put in a copy machine at 500% zoom.

Just compare any Battle in the ST to the Battle of coruscant in ROTS (theres no need to even open up any of the OT Battles to drive that point)

Combat Theory fucked around with this message at 14:28 on Dec 23, 2019

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

WSAENOTSOCK posted:

I didn't have hundreds upon hundreds of tough, self-possessed women in media growing up. So kindly go gently caress yourself, with this.

Did you ever read the book Carrie Fisher wrote? Post Cards from the edge? She was sharp as gently caress before decades of drugs melted her brain, check it out.

zelah
Dec 1, 2004

...OT space battles are just WW2 but in space. Falcon is just an unreliable hot rod but in space, “would it help if I got out and pushed?”

I’ll never understand the moaning over the bombers from TLJ. They are pure Star Wars.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

HorseLord posted:

Have a picture of him at his funeral with a medal.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
What if the bombers give a little nudge when the bombs come out so they continue in one direction, in this case the Down Direction

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

2house2fly posted:

A fun experiment you can do here to back this assertion up is to google the phrase "is gravity infinite"

You know, fair point, I was wrong, it is infinite. I used the wrongs word there.

That planetoid is too far away for its gravitational pull to pull the bombs down, even if it wasn't, they're not over the planetoid, so gravity wouldn't pull the bombs down anyway. Now, that said, it's not that bombers as craft concept don't make sense, it's that for a bomber to work in space, it's bomb is essentially going to be propelled, like a missile. That scene is dumb, it's Rian Johnson jacking off world war 2 bombers, much like TIE Fighters and X-Wings are jacking off dog fights.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler

Combat Theory posted:

its a bold claim to compare the only bombing scene in the OT which honestly looks like the bombers "Throw" the bombs out of ther launch rack (the structure below the second Pod on a TIE Bomber) to that turd of a space battle Johnson came up with after (in his own words) "Wanting to recreate a WW2 Bombing run - in space"

This is a joke right?

zelah
Dec 1, 2004

I’m starting to think you all might not actually like Star Wars itt

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Onmi posted:

The comparison between the reaches people have to do to find 'plotholes' in TLJ and RoS where you can just state any aspect of the story and find a gaping narrative void is pretty funny.