Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

zelah posted:

Do people not remember that there were tie bombers in the original trilogy? They bomb the asteroid that the worm/falcon were on.

Y-wings are also bombers.

Maybe they would've had more luck if they used Y-wings and not those giant paper sloths

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Emrikol
Oct 1, 2015
I'd like to put forth the suggestion that TLJ includes a number of things that are not conceptually objectionable, but which visually ended up looking kinda goofy, if not stupid.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

The yo mamma joke was a hole of goodwill I wanted TLJ to climb out of as I watched it and then it went and decided to never end.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010
If your suspension of disbelief is ruined by space bombers, it should be even more ruined by hearing explosions in space. Christ, people, this is not the loving problem with star wars.

I can't decide which scene was worse, the one where 500 star destroyers couldn't immediately destroy the rebels' 5 fighters, or the one where 5000 randos showed up out of nowhere for the last battle just because... idk why? Lando made some calls maybe?

Like jesus christ, if there are this many people eager for a Heroic Last Stand Against The Empire in this movie, surely a few of them would've gotten off their rear end for a Heroic Last Stand Against The Empire in the previous movie.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Mymla posted:

I can't decide which scene was worse, the one where 500 star destroyers couldn't immediately destroy the rebels' 5 fighters, or the one where 5000 randos showed up out of nowhere for the last battle just because... idk why? Lando made some calls maybe?

Like jesus christ, if there are this many people eager for a Heroic Last Stand Against The Empire in this movie, surely a few of them would've gotten off their rear end for a Heroic Last Stand Against The Empire in the previous movie.

because uhhh boomers are better at networking apparently

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

It seems pretty unclear to me who's supposed to be in charge now, especially given that Rey hosed off to Tattooine. Probably going to be a hell of a civil war right after that orgy.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Mymla posted:

If your suspension of disbelief is ruined by space bombers, it should be even more ruined by hearing explosions in space. Christ, people, this is not the loving problem with star wars.

I’ve gotten over the Lando showing up with a volunteer army with the following thoughts : 1. He’s a famous rebel leader 2. Palpatine had announced himself and everyone in the galaxy was on edge and ready to fight him.

It’s still pretty dumb I guess but that is the whole movie. Good and fun but dumb. Imho

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler

Irony Be My Shield posted:

It seems pretty unclear to me who's supposed to be in charge now, especially given that Rey hosed off to Tattooine. Probably going to be a hell of a civil war right after that orgy.

Probably Finn who is now a general for some reason.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Rey isn’t staying on Tatooine. She just went to bury the lightsabers.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

Probably Finn who is now a general for some reason.

It follows the fine tradition of everyone being given the title of general so eh

Combat Theory
Jul 16, 2017

The Half in the Bag Episode about ROS is out by the way and its 70 Minutes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5pAsss_nTlk

Thanks for the recommendation, im 20 mins through and had some good laughs

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Oven Wrangler

George H.W. oval office posted:

It follows the fine tradition of everyone being given the title of general so eh

He ain't even a Jedi yet!!

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

think my favorite part of the new movies is the entire Resistance apparently being like 12 ships and a few dozen misc crewpeople on not-Yavin 4

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Gargamel Gibson posted:

What was the super important thing that Finn wanted to tell Rey?

He's tired of all these star wars

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love

Raccooon posted:

Next Star Wars movie will have a Jedi deflect a death star shot with a lightsaber lol

May as loving well.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Gargamel Gibson posted:

At the last scene where they hug I was thinking uhh did JJ forget to have Finn tell Rey he loved her?

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Gargamel Gibson posted:

Boyega has some theories

https://twitter.com/JohnBoyega/status/1209086614724653057?s=19

https://twitter.com/WakandaPotato/status/1209084975062011907?s=19

https://twitter.com/JohnBoyega/status/1209083237059964929?s=19

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love

Uncle Wemus posted:

I can't believe theres already been 5 disney star wars movies

And only 1 of which was decent.

Emrikol
Oct 1, 2015
Given the final size of the Resistance, everyone can call themselves whatever rank they think sounds best.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

The first order. On 3 planets they've been rebelled against the rest of the Galaxy is in starship troopers government now

Captain Jesus
Feb 26, 2009

What's wrong with you? You don't even have your beer goggles on!!
I'm baffled by the posters who are weirded out by "the kiss" because Kylo and Rey are technically cousins. Even if we accept that Palpatine actually created Anakin (based on some stupid comic book, not necessarily supported by the movies), I don't really think we're supposed to imagine it as Palpatine teleporting his jizz into Shmi's uterus, so he would be Anakin's father in a comparable way to a scientist doing in vitro fertilization. The prequels imply that Anakin is so powerful because he was created through the Force, not because his secret dad is a powerful wizard.

Palpatine was never Anakin's father in any meaningful way, so you can stop being worried that you just saw two cousins kiss in a movie.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Oven Wrangler

Captain Jesus posted:

I'm baffled by the posters who are weirded out by "the kiss" because Kylo and Rey are technically cousins.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=083NxNzhmCU

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Captain Jesus posted:

(based on some stupid comic book, not necessarily supported by the movies)

The bad movies imply Palpatine created Anakin during the squid opera scene.

Captain Jesus
Feb 26, 2009

Did you miss the rest of my post where I explained why it's not incest? You really have to go out of your way to interpret it as incest.

Groovelord Neato posted:

The bad movies imply Palpatine created Anakin during the squid opera scene.

I think ROTS leans more in the way that Darth Plagueis did that, not Palpatine.

Roman
Aug 8, 2002

was amused by this 2 year old video, don't know if it was linked already

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hzG3m-ZW198

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Captain Jesus posted:

I think ROTS leans more in the way that Darth Plagueis did that, not Palpatine.

I had assumed Palpatine made Plagueis up but naturally there had to be some book about how he was a real guy actually because every tiny little thing has to be overexplained.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

It should be chewie

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

Captain Jesus
Feb 26, 2009

Groovelord Neato posted:

I had assumed Palpatine made Plagueis up but naturally there had to be some book about how he was a real guy actually because every tiny little thing has to be overexplained.

It's possible that he made him up, but I think the movie leaves the question whether Anakin was created by the force or by the sith lords kinda ambiguous. On the one hand, you have Palpatine's story accompanied by the images of an egg being fertilized. On the other hand, Palpatine later reveals that he was bullshiting Anakin about the power to cheat death. If he actually knew how to create new life, why do it just once? I always assumed that Palpatine was talking about an ability that he didn't actually have.

There's also the fact that Anakin was supposed to actually be the chosen one who was supposed to bring balance to the force (according to Lucas) which is difficult to reconcile with him being created by a sith lord that he is supposed to destroy. It would be a nice irony of course.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Groovelord Neato posted:

Same, and yes

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Captain Jesus posted:

It's possible that he made him up, but I think the movie leaves the question whether Anakin was created by the force or by the sith lords kinda ambiguous. On the one hand, you have Palpatine's story accompanied by the images of an egg being fertilized. On the other hand, Palpatine later reveals that he was bullshiting Anakin about the power to cheat death. If he actually knew how to create new life, why do it just once? I always assumed that Palpatine was talking about an ability that he didn't actually have.

There's also the fact that Anakin was supposed to actually be the chosen one who was supposed to bring balance to the force (according to Lucas) which is difficult to reconcile with him being created by a sith lord that he is supposed to destroy. It would be a nice irony of course.

Oh I didn't want to give the impression it was coherent.

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
Adam Driver is really good but nothing in this movie has any weight. Any peril faced is immediately overcome by some nonsense and I was bored by the lack of tension. Trying to review this movie by balancing how good Ren is and how bland the rest is is a bigger conflict than what is presented in this film.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Oven Wrangler

Captain Jesus posted:

Did you miss the rest of my post where I explained why it's not incest? You really have to go out of your way to interpret it as incest.

I'm sorry to make a joke while we're having this very important discussion about the potential lineage of pretend characters.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Groovelord Neato posted:

I had assumed Palpatine made Plagueis up

He simply tells Anakin about a legend - which implies that, if Plagueis ever really existed, he died centuries ago.

Fans are assuming - for no reason, mind you - that Palpatine is lying about the timeframe for no reason, and refusing to confirm Plagueis is real for no reason. On top of that, why doesn’t Palpatine just say that he’s Anakin’s dad? No reason, again.

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

Despite two movies of Poe's character development being focused on leaving behind reckless antics to be a responsible leader, Poe still commanded the final battle from the cockpit of a single seat fighter on the front-line.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

barkbell posted:

Adam Driver is really good but nothing in this movie has any weight. Any peril faced is immediately overcome by some nonsense and I was bored by the lack of tension. Trying to review this movie by balancing how good Ren is and how bland the rest is is a bigger conflict than what is presented in this film.

This so much, especially the final battle

Palpatine force lightnings a whole fleet and they start falling? But nobody dies?

In ROTJ the Empire led the Rebel Alliance into a massive trap, and entire swaths of the Rebel Alliance fleet are being hit by the death Star laser and boxed in by Star Destroyers.

This battle played out like a saturday morning cartoon finale, with friendship winning the day :downs:

Also, do the FO just lose the will to live after the Emperor dies? They don't try to even run

TulliusCicero fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Dec 23, 2019

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

moist turtleneck posted:

What if the bombers give a little nudge when the bombs come out so they continue in one direction, in this case the Down Direction

They don't need to give them a nudge, spaceships in Star Wars have artificial gravity inside

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

CODChimera posted:

Maybe they would've had more luck if they used Y-wings and not those giant paper sloths
they'd have even more luck if they used a Death Star, or a Mega-Class star destroyer. The reason they don't use either of those is the same reason they don't use Y-wings

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I enjoyed the atmospheric assault on the command ship including the cavalry charge. That was fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

The real bit of the bomber run that's bullshit is that Poe flies around the dreadnaught shooting the surface cannons, then Leia says "you did it, now let's go" even though... Poe hasn't actually done anything yet. The only point to destroying the cannons is to soften the target up for the bombers. If he'd destroyed the main gun, that'd be worth a "you did it" but he doesn't even try to do that. Maybe when they say "he'll never penetrate our armour" they mean the main gun is too heavily armoured for him to destroy it?