Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Podima posted:

Dancer disappearing is not ideal either, and since IIRC they're an Euro we have maybe a few hours left where they might check in before the end. I vaguely recall that Dancer has a history of lurking pretty badly as scum, so hopefully calling them out gets their butt in here to make a better showing of it.

Mr. Humalong posted:

they also lurk as 3p so either way, yeah

##vote dancer

Amnistar posted:

##vote Humalong

Perfectly fine vote in context, it's interesting that Humalong felt the need to specify the 3p part of this where I was using "scum" as a generic term for non-town. Not a smoking gun but certainly worth the vote from Amni as we start the day. I'll reread Humalong next.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amnistar
Nov 6, 2008

I am a wizard, not a poet.

Anomalous Amalgam posted:

##vote Amni

Thinking about it more, this looks really strange.

No, I think hum knew they weren't scum.

Anomalous Amalgam
Feb 13, 2015

by Nyc_Tattoo
Doctor Rope

Amnistar posted:

##unvote

I get what you're saying, my bad. Leaps in logic and such.

Mr. Steak
May 9, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Podima posted:

I think it's interesting that Sandwolf and mr. steak - two people I'm already suss on - were so quick to argue against this conclusion, and would vote either of them today really.

podima, PLEASE stop misreading because it makes me sus and i very much dont want to suspect you.

bern's "conclusion" you're talking about here is that scum were part of the swerve onto dancer, because they wanted to control which remaining vote leader got lunched.

i KNOW you're experienced enough to know that in the event no scum were leading in votes, scum would prefer to take a lassaiz faire approach to which direction the votes swung. THEREFORE, for bern's theory to hold water it HAS to be true that scum were in danger of being lunched at the time of the swerve.

with that said, which is a smaller list of scum targets? the people who switched onto dancer, or the people at risk of lunch when imp claimed, excluding dancer and imp? the list is WAY smaller if we look for who scum was AVOIDING lunching.

Mr. Steak
May 9, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
since bern himself is on that much smaller list, im suspect of why he didnt bring it up

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3896200&userid=116089

Hmm, neutral to iffy - nothing compelling one way or another, but a lot of follow-on posting and surface level commentary. Would like to see some more casework from Detective Hummers today.

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Mr. Steak posted:

podima, PLEASE stop misreading because it makes me sus and i very much dont want to suspect you.

bern's "conclusion" you're talking about here is that scum were part of the swerve onto dancer, because they wanted to control which remaining vote leader got lunched.

i KNOW you're experienced enough to know that in the event no scum were leading in votes, scum would prefer to take a lassaiz faire approach to which direction the votes swung. THEREFORE, for bern's theory to hold water it HAS to be true that scum were in danger of being lunched at the time of the swerve.

with that said, which is a smaller list of scum targets? the people who switched onto dancer, or the people at risk of lunch when imp claimed, excluding dancer and imp? the list is WAY smaller if we look for who scum was AVOIDING lunching.

If you think I'm scum, vote me instead of this wishy-washy apologia.

I disagree firmly with your assertion that scum would take a lassez-faire approach, every execution that isn't scum is one step closer to endgame. Anyways, name names - who do you think scum was avoiding executing at the end of D1, following your train of thought? (This is ignoring the fact that even in that situation where there's a vote leader they want to avoid swapping to, scum would still be the ones driving a fast swap onto Dancer.)

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Mr. Steak posted:

since bern himself is on that much smaller list, im suspect of why he didnt bring it up

Ah I see, Bern. Who else?

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

Mr. Steak posted:

Do you believe this is what happened or not?

Mr. Steak
May 9, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Podima posted:

If you think I'm scum, vote me instead of this wishy-washy apologia.

I disagree firmly with your assertion that scum would take a lassez-faire approach, every execution that isn't scum is one step closer to endgame. Anyways, name names - who do you think scum was avoiding executing at the end of D1, following your train of thought? (This is ignoring the fact that even in that situation where there's a vote leader they want to avoid swapping to, scum would still be the ones driving a fast swap onto Dancer.)

i guess i am not explaining myself eloquently enough.

consider this scenario: its 3 hours until deadline, and nobody with any votes at all is scum. i fully believe scum would be hands-off and let town decide which townie to lunch. in this scenario, bern's thinking would be entirely leading us astray.

now consider this: its 3 hours until deadline, and one of the people with several votes is scum. THIS is the only scenario in which i'd believe bern's conclusion to be accurate.

no i dont think what bern's saying is what happened. but my argument isnt about that. its about how bern did not think his argument through at all, or he deliberately left out the part that might cast suspicion on himself

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Mr. Steak posted:

i guess i am not explaining myself eloquently enough.

consider this scenario: its 3 hours until deadline, and nobody with any votes at all is scum. i fully believe scum would be hands-off and let town decide which townie to lunch. in this scenario, bern's thinking would be entirely leading us astray.

now consider this: its 3 hours until deadline, and one of the people with several votes is scum. THIS is the only scenario in which i'd believe bern's conclusion to be accurate.

no i dont think what bern's saying is what happened. but my argument isnt about that. its about how bern did not think his argument through at all, or he deliberately left out the part that might cast suspicion on himself

You keep talking in hypotheticals about what you think scum would do instead of focusing on what actually happened in this game.

Mr. Steak posted:

heres the votecount just after 2penny claimed.

if anyone's scum that scum was trying to avoid being swapped onto, its bern or gulag

Oh ok, I see. No, I think this is bullshit logic - Bern and Gulag had 3 votes, sure, but Amnistar and you had two votes aside from Dancer. That's barely enough of a vote lead to matter when it's 9 votes to execute, and I think this is an intentional attempt to draw attention away from the vote rush on Dancer at end of day.

##vote mr. steak

Mr. Steak
May 9, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Podima posted:

You keep talking in hypotheticals about what you think scum would do instead of focusing on what actually happened in this game.

Oh ok, I see. No, I think this is bullshit logic - Bern and Gulag had 3 votes, sure, but Amnistar and you had two votes aside from Dancer. That's barely enough of a vote lead to matter when it's 9 votes to execute, and I think this is an intentional attempt to draw attention away from the vote rush on Dancer at end of day.

##vote mr. steak

explain bern's case without any hypotheticals of what you think scum would do in certain situations. i'll wait.

god, this is frustrating and you shouldnt be this frustrating ##vote podima

Mr. Steak
May 9, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
besides, your 2nd paragraph response there could be pasted word for word as an argument against bern's case. i legitimately think youre making no sense pod

Mr. Steak
May 9, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Mr. Steak posted:

besides, your 2nd paragraph response there could be pasted word for word as an argument against bern's case. i legitimately think youre making no sense pod

i should be more specific because you are not reading between the lines clearly.

the most votes anyone had was 3, yes. so WHYY would scum be panicking to swerve??

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Mr. Steak posted:

explain bern's case without any hypotheticals of what you think scum would do in certain situations. i'll wait.

god, this is frustrating and you shouldnt be this frustrating ##vote podima

I already did. "Scum want to secure an execution that's not themselves." There's no hypothetical about that.

Who do you think is scum today, Steak? Do you think Birb is scum considering his gameplay from D1 and today? If so, why? Is it based on more than just his assertion about the vote rush on Dancer?

How about this, as another alternative. Look at anyone else who isn't Birb and make a case for why they seem scummy or townie. I'd like to believe that your faulty logic here is just a legitimate mistake and not scumminess.

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Actually, this conversation is rapidly becoming unproductive and detracting from actual scumhunting, so I'm going to take a breather and let other folks chime in on the stuff talked about thus far - feel free to take your time responding, no need to rush something out that will just muddy the water further if you're town. Very interesting D2 to get stuck into!

Mr. Steak
May 9, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
"Scum want to secure an execution that's not themselves."
and therefore what?

Mr. Steak
May 9, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i should take a breather too cuz im getting annoyed

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

Mr. Steak posted:

"Scum want to secure an execution that's not themselves."
and therefore what?

oh, they dont die.

Mr. Steak posted:

i should be more specific because you are not reading between the lines clearly.

the most votes anyone had was 3, yes. so WHYY would scum be panicking to swerve??

we very clearly had enough people active to kill whoever we wanted.

neither bern nor I were anywhere near close to being lynched. we had votes parked on us early from what, in terms of persuasive power, materially counted as corpses. there was no case on either of us. you had as many votes on you as me with one point but with, like, at least one, perhaps even more idk, people expressing vocal interest in your murder.

i find this entire train of logic dumb though.

quote:

KNOW you're experienced enough to know that in the event no scum were leading in votes, scum would prefer to take a lassaiz faire approach to which direction the votes swung. THEREFORE, for bern's theory to hold water it HAS to be true

this is weirdly definitive language though, from someone who has a history of tipping his hand too much.

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

im going to be honest. sandwolf kill today.

Mr. Steak
May 9, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
1 thing, and im trying to be extremely precise and clear with my words here:

this is a breakdown of bern's argument to the best of my understanding.

1) Scum want to avoid executing their teammates at any cost.
2) Because of 1, scum will use votes to secure the execution of a townie.
3) Near the deadline of D1, a vote swerve occurred onto a player scum thought was town.
4) Because of 1-3, scum were involved with the D1 vote swerve.

here is my problem with the argument: it makes a certain assumption.

the assumption the argument makes is this: "at the time of the swerve, scum were concerned that the outcome of the day's lunch may be unfavorable to their team."

podima and bern seem to be taking this assumption as fact, but it is just as likely to be false. i've been scum on many a D1 where votes were in contention near deadline on two or more town members. in all cases, i was apathetic toward the outcome of the lunch, because no matter the target, the result would be favorable to scum.

therefore, bern's argument must take into consideration the implied assumption written above.

following from the fact that bern never mentioned such an assumption, i believe that it is an unconscious assumption he has made, rather than a conscious one. and as such, he believes it as fact.

i find it strange that a person who believes votes were on scum before the swerve would avoid looking at which players had votes before the swerve.

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

Amnistar posted:

not to defend humalong too much, but literally like two games ago (3 weeks ago) dancer lurked hardcore as 3p. its a very 'fresh' memory.

Amnistar
Nov 6, 2008

Mr. Steak posted:

1 thing, and im trying to be extremely precise and clear with my words here:

this is a breakdown of bern's argument to the best of my understanding.

1) Scum want to avoid executing their teammates at any cost.
2) Because of 1, scum will use votes to secure the execution of a townie.
3) Near the deadline of D1, a vote swerve occurred onto a player scum thought was town.
4) Because of 1-3, scum were involved with the D1 vote swerve.

the assumption the argument makes is this: "at the time of the swerve, scum were concerned that the outcome of the day's lunch may be unfavorable to their team."

podima and bern seem to be taking this assumption as fact, but it is just as likely to be false. i've been scum on many a D1 where votes were in contention near deadline on two or more town members. in all cases, i was apathetic toward the outcome of the lunch, because no matter the target, the result would be favorable to scum.

therefore, bern's argument must take into consideration the implied assumption written above.

following from the fact that bern never mentioned such an assumption, i believe that it is an unconscious assumption he has made, rather than a conscious one. and as such, he believes it as fact.

i find it strange that a person who believes votes were on scum before the swerve would avoid looking at which players had votes before the swerve.

This post, and the earlier ones, makes me feel pretty good about saying steak is town.

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

quote:

it doesn't. even if it did we had enough votes to kill anyone.

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

##vote sandwolf

Amnistar
Nov 6, 2008

Bernstrike posted:

right in there I think. and we can rule out bottle imp so that narrows it down a bit

this post, when reading back through things, is one that I feel is scum.

Bern doesn't give opinions, he gives a list of plays and says, "Yea, one of these is probably scum. Other people should look at them and make cases so I can coast on those." (subtext added by me).

I would be cofortable voting for Bern today.

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Amnistar posted:

This post, and the earlier ones, makes me feel pretty good about saying steak is town.

I'm inclined to agree, there's an internal logic there even if I don't agree with it and the frustration feels townie. ##unvote I don't think there's much value to be added in nitpicking the details any further - suffice to say I still agree with Bern's point but it's not the only factor in play.

Squiggly
Jan 25, 2006

I'm Your Huckleberry

Podima posted:

You've done a lot of calling people scummy without putting votes down this game - you voted exactly once in all of D1, even. I know you said this:

But being cautious with your vote is more scummy than townie.

This is a good point

I'd also vote steak for his "joke" scum claim

2 penny bottle imp
Jun 11, 2008

I KNOW WHAT YOU DID LAST SCUMMER
##vote sandwolf

I agree he is over-lurking, not in a 'policy-lynch-non-participants' sort of way, but rather in a 'scum-who-wants-to-keep-their-head-down' way. Most of the posts he does have are garbage, drawn out so that brief logic + a vote change is done over 2 posts, in what appears to be an attempt to bump up post count.

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

Man I’m lurking because I kind of hate this game. Gulag isn’t fun at all, Podima is bullying anyone who talks, bernstrikr made a dumb and scummy post and then steak got hounded for calling it out as such

I’m not scum though, this isn’t even my scum meta. *pulls toothpick out of ear* I’m a cop baby

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

Steak covered extensively why Bern’s argument is so bad, it’s a policy lynch based on some ill-conceived concept that scum would want to push from imp to Dancer ~so bad~

I’d vote Bern

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

This is whiny but can someone engage me and ask me about specific things, I don’t mind posting and giving opinions, I just feel like the thread has been impenetrable.

2 penny bottle imp
Jun 11, 2008

I KNOW WHAT YOU DID LAST SCUMMER

Sandwolf posted:

Man I’m lurking because I kind of hate this game. Gulag isn’t fun at all, Podima is bullying anyone who talks, bernstrikr made a dumb and scummy post and then steak got hounded for calling it out as such

I’m not scum though, this isn’t even my scum meta. *pulls toothpick out of ear* I’m a cop baby

Firm but fair.

I still don't like the use of double posts to contain votes. Really seems like you are trying to inflate vote counts.

To reiterate to Podima - yes, it is strictly tiresome to be hounded for things I have no opinions on.

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Sandwolf posted:

This is whiny but can someone engage me and ask me about specific things, I don’t mind posting and giving opinions, I just feel like the thread has been impenetrable.

What's your opinion on Paul ReiserFS? I already expressed my concerns and would appreciate your insight.

Also sincerely if you feel like my posts are bullying I apologize!

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

I don’t make big post, I make many post. Usually it’s enough to make up for small brief posts but I can see why it is lacking so far this game

(Fun fact, my posts get longer when I post at my computer vs on my phone)

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

Paul ReiserFS posted:

I'm on board for this tbqh -- phoneposting last night so wasn't very verbose. I don't know Gulag's meta (but it sounds pretty shitposty) and I hate meta defenses, so he's posting weird pseudo-claims and OMGusing for no reason and being very "weird and forced" and that's enough for me in the context of everything that's been posted thus far.

I need to be very deliberate with my voting this game, instead of my usual willy-nilly, but ##vote Gulag

This first vote is way too heavily explained for early in D1, it reads self conscious as hell to me, especially as the game was leaving jokevote

Paul ReiserFS posted:

Bern -- can you clearly explain your lie detector thing, and whether it's shitposting or not?

Kind of fishing but ultimately inconclusive

Paul ReiserFS posted:

(This is in response to Bernstrike saying: “If you’re town you have nothing to worry about)
I have nothing to worry about.

So it all just feels pretty artificial, rather forced. The fishing for lie detector ish is weird, but could support either conclusion. The other posts are much more awkward to me, overly conscientious. I’d vote Paul but I don’t think he’s definitely scum, probably 6-7 on the scummy scale

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

Paul ReiserFS posted:

This feels like a “congratulating the doc” scumtell kind of thing for some reason

This is hard to wrap my mind around. Feels like a fake gotcha, but can’t tell if it’s sincere or not.

Mr. Steak
May 9, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
oh oops im still voting for podima ##vote bern

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

##vote Bernstrike

feel comfortable with my vote there too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Thanks Sandwolf! Can you also take a look at Leith and Humalong and give me your thoughts there?