Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

barkbell posted:

Why do the new movies and this one in particular treat droids like people. I don't remember 3p0 and r2 being treated much more than a favorite car or toaster. They had human-like emotions and banter but that was for the audience to hear because the main characters just ignored it. Now 3p0 has to sacrifice himself but it really doesn't matter because it's a machine and can just be repaired like he has in every other movie he gets dismantled.

Maybe the characters are realising that droids have been people all along

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog
I like to imagine every plot hole in this movie can be explained if you imagine Palpatine Jr to be a Hunter Biden-level failson who keeps throwing the galaxy into chaos.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

No Mods No Masters posted:

Adam driver was so committed to the romance that he was willing to go topless. Now that's dedication

He just desperately wanted a new fictional girlfriend after Hannah Horvath.

After TFA I kept hoping that Snoke's look was a fake hologram and that the real Snoke would be played by Lena Dunham.

Everyone fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Dec 23, 2019

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

Frog puns are toadally awesome

Having just seen this last night, after rewatching TFA and TLJ before, I'm stuck on how, for lack of a better word, "cargo culty" the setting feels now. There's are beats in this movie and TFA that don't make sense unless you know what they are mimicking from the originals.

Like the destruction of the 7 planets of the new republic in TFA. Superficially similar to destroying Alderaan, but bigger and therefore sadder! Except there's no connection to the characters to make the deaths have impact, and afterwards they are quickly forgotten and never brought up again. In fact death as a whole, while always a little loose in Star Wars, has essentially no impact or meaning at all anymore. It wants to be sad or horrifying, but whether it's a main character or a planet full of nameless casualties, they have the same effect on the characters, which is to say none.

It all feels unreal, like watching some bad YouTube sketch that's just pop culture references with no actual story. I watch these movies mostly because I like dissecting stories seeing what could have been better or what got lost through the corporate filmmaking process. TLJ tried to be a little clever with it by trying to directly undermine this central plot of an eternal struggle against an continuously changing pseudofascist enemy, but it was hamfisted and included lots of useless sidetracking for a very muddled message. But the sucking nullity at the core of this new series is shocking to me.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

If there's anything we have been able to agree on in these threads, it's that jakku is tatooine. But also, secondarily, that droids are definitely people

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

barkbell posted:

Why do the new movies and this one in particular treat droids like people. I don't remember 3p0 and r2 being treated much more than a favorite car or toaster. They had human-like emotions and banter but that was for the audience to hear because the main characters just ignored it. Now 3p0 has to sacrifice himself but it really doesn't matter because it's a machine and can just be repaired like he has in every other movie he gets dismantled.

oh no

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Brother Entropy posted:

it's probably because they're people

Yeah, R2-D2 and and C3P0 were always main characters wtf

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Look, God-dammit, if Terminator Arnie can marry a woman and raise a child (out of basically boredom, it seemed) then 3-PO and R2 can be people.

Honestly the Star Wars folks should start treating their droids better before the Cylons from the universe next door decide to come over there and kick some furniture around.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

It's funny to me that in this universe using the force for video communication, an easily available existing technology in universe, loving kills you, but using it to lift tons of stuff or shoot infinity lightning had no consequences on your body (unless someone reflects that poo poo back on you)

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog
Droids are people, but Wookies definitely aren't and are just unfeeling furry automatons that you can oppress without guilt. Chewie is Han's equivalent of a teddy bear because he's a giant manchild.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

If there's anything we have been able to agree on in these threads, it's that jakku is tatooine. But also, secondarily, that droids are definitely people

Even battledroids?

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Shaocaholica posted:

Even battledroids?

Roger-roger.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
"Even soldiers?"

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Shaocaholica posted:

Even battledroids?

People whose situation is played for comedy or menace or both, but people nevertheless.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

barkbell posted:

It's pretty universal through all of Star Wars that the protagonists treat droids like people, which gets even stronger in the animation with droid-centric episodes and more room to develop the idea. Only people portrayed as dipshits like Watto or Lars and Beru or villains don't and ignore them or treat them as slaves.

If there's anything we have been able to agree on in these threads, it's that jakku is tatooine.

Of course, that's why Rey goes back there at the very end.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
What a massacre then when a Anikin took out the command ship. Not to mention all non combat crew onboard.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Shaocaholica posted:

What a massacre then when a Anikin took out the command ship. Not to mention all non combat crew onboard.

like father, like son

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Shaocaholica posted:

Even battledroids?

Yeah, they're just extremely dumb people.

Raccooon
Dec 5, 2009

John Wick of Dogs posted:

It's funny to me that in this universe using the force for video communication, an easily available existing technology in universe, loving kills you, but using it to lift tons of stuff or shoot infinity lightning had no consequences on your body (unless someone reflects that poo poo back on you)

Palpatine destroyed a fleet with force lightning and it didn’t kill him. Luke teleconferences and dies lol.

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof

Darko posted:

It's pretty universal through all of Star Wars that the protagonists treat droids like people, which gets even stronger in the animation with droid-centric episodes and more room to develop the idea. Only people portrayed as dipshits like Watto or Lars and Beru or villains don't and ignore them or treat them as slaves.

the hook in anh literally starts with the sale of droids and luke soon regrets taking the shackles off of them

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Let’s not forget Microsoft lobotomized Tay.

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

Frog puns are toadally awesome

Raccooon posted:

Palpatine destroyed a fleet with force lightning and it didn’t kill him. Luke teleconferences and dies lol.

He didn't destroy them though. He EMPs then but only temporarily, because not one of them crashes.

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

celewign posted:

I think for nerds like me we want to see a battle that feels thought out and real with ships using tactics to defeat their enemies. The battle in RoTS doesn't feel real to me, it's like 12 fighters and a Corvette against 1000 star destroyers. They would get overwhelmed instantly given the way previous movies show that force imbalance turning out. It's silly and the lack of realism given the rules set up in previous movies makes my brain think "huh?". It takes me out of the movie. It's like a JJ Abrams trope as well, so it's doubly frustrating.

The battles in rogue one, ANH, empire, and ROTJ feel like real battles, and I don't need to have a strong developed character to identify with the grunt in the cockpit. I could easily be the grunt in the cockpit getting destroyed so I feel a lot of tension in a battle that feels real.

My 2c.

Yeah, same. TLJ had some promise, but I really wanted to see Master & Commander in space and I didn't get it. I'm annoyed that the First Order Star Destroyers never did anything besides shoot down one TIE fighter.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

thrawn527 posted:

I posted this in the other thread, but apparently that comic wasn’t even trying to say that.

https://twitter.com/culturecrave/status/1208880844066017280?s=21

Palpatine was using the story of Anakin’s conception to make this implication to manipulate him into thinking the Dark Side has that kind of power, and could also save Padme. And Anakin fell for it.

Once again, I am vindicated for ignoring some nerd making wild claims about what they read on a placemat.

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog
Luke's a liberal who's relatively nice to droids but would never fight for their freedom.

IMO Solo made the situation worse by actually bringing up the issue only to not give it any weight.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Raccooon posted:

Think about how much energy it would take to build a real-time 5G connection between here and, say, ULAS J0015+1. Force Lightning is easy compared to that poo poo.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

barkbell posted:

the hook in anh literally starts with the sale of droids and luke soon regrets taking the shackles off of them

Yep, and every movie makes a pointed effort that show that protagonists take their time to acknowledge or show compassion to droids.

Even Han Solo treats C3PO as a person, he just thinks he's annoying as hell. The prequels specifically show Padme as sympathetic to droids to establish her character, Anakin creates C3PO and is similar to R2 as Luke is, and even Obi Wan is sad when his astromech gets blown up.

The analogy of clones and droids in the prequels (and brought out in expansions) is pretty good too, as they both view themselves as individuals and grow separately outside of their programming.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!

Groovelord Neato posted:

What. It's Return of the Jedi. Rey finds out she's from an evil lineage and the Emperor tries to tempt her by showing all her friends are in trouble in a giant space battle.

In ROTJ Luke already knows he's from an evil lineage, he's made his peace with it, and he's confronting the emperor in a gamble to redeem his bloodline and save his dad. Discovering that she's a Palpatine, trying to quit being a jedi and then going to Palpatine to face him down is pretty different from all that.

Not radically different but there's a lot of TLJ and TFA that are like traced right over their respective OT movies.

For everything TLJ does to be different Luke and Reys subplot plays out almost exactly like Luke's time on Dagobah. Only instead of an honery muppet who has a bad student it's a good student who has an honery bad teacher.

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

Too many goddam maps in the sequels

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Everyone posted:

Think about how much energy it would take to build a real-time 5G connection between here and, say, ULAS J0015+1. Force Lightning is easy compared to that poo poo.

But they literally have those real time connections in universe. Vader can even force choke you over one

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

TheKingofSprings posted:

Why do you do poo poo like this in every thread I see you post in?

Anakin is not Sheev’s idiot son, this line of thinking is just loving stupid and the weirdest form of concern trolling I have seen in ages

stop being mad

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

C-3P0 is the last Skywalker
This is technically true

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog
Palpatine is Anakin's dad in the most biological manner possible. Palpatine cums, this is canon now. It still remains to be seen if Palpatine fucks, though.

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof

Darko posted:

Yep, and every movie makes a pointed effort that show that protagonists take their time to acknowledge or show compassion to droids.

Even Han Solo treats C3PO as a person, he just thinks he's annoying as hell. The prequels specifically show Padme as sympathetic to droids to establish her character, Anakin creates C3PO and is similar to R2 as Luke is, and even Obi Wan is sad when his astromech gets blown up.

The analogy of clones and droids in the prequels (and brought out in expansions) is pretty good too, as they both view themselves as individuals and grow separately outside of their programming.

honestly i dont know what you are talking about, its obvious uve consumed way more star wars media than me ive only seen movies but 3p0 disappears in cloud city and no one really notices until chewie finds him dismantled. everyone is like aw shucks the toaster broke and are far more concerned with the implication that something fishy is going on and not some true loss of a friend

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
They treat it like he has an inconvenient injury, because that is what it is.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

I don't really want to enter the placemat zone too badly here. But even if that comic is disregarded isn't the darth plagueis book where sheev and plagueis try to impregnate the force and it causes a backlash which creates anakin, or whatever, still canon?

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Stairmaster posted:

stop being mad

When I stop bleeding internally I will stop being mad

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

But they literally have those real time connections in universe. Vader can even force choke you over one

Using an existing connection is presumably easier than building one from scratch.

Or Luke and Leia botched their "Use Force" rolls and the backlash killed them. I'm at the who-gives-a-gently caress stage on that question at this point.

Really, I'm at the who-gives-a-gently caress stage on most of Star Wars in general. I'm looking forward to the end of The Mandalorian this Friday so I can stop thinking about it for a few months.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
Every single bad thing in both the prequels and sequels is a result of someone trying to be meta or trying to be something more than a slightly more serious Flash Gordon serial for tweens.

Also Lawrence Kasdan post-OT is a major hack and should have stayed in Hollywood exile after Dreamcatcher.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof

ungulateman posted:

They treat it like he has an inconvenient injury, because that is what it is.

so why the change in reaction when 3p0 is going to have to reformat his hard drive and get restored from backup