Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Drunk Theory
Aug 20, 2016

Oven Wrangler

Alakantar posted:

New one up!

And so Snout's quest to find out what was up with Dominic Deegan has ended. Next week, he goes on a fetch quest to make that cave into an actual home.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Are we sure this isn't some Dadaist experiment?

Either way lmao that after all that the princess is in another castle so he just gives up.

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

Frog puns are toadally awesome

I'm thinking he's about to set out on a journey to Barthis. Luckily for him it's just offscreen.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

nah, he's gonna go to eldariat to die

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Higgledy-Piggledy Whale Statements

Also, no dialogue.

Just a speech bubble coming out of the book that Snout is reading which explicitly says what he’d be saying, and then the weird tentacle beast has what it wants to say already written down on a form letter.

Really using the constraints to produce interesting storytelling.

...if the rest of the comic were better, I’d like the last two panels. It’s interesting to see a character respond to the idea that they have to suddenly travel far from home by going to their lovely house and curling up, because they’re afraid of leaving. Except that the whole house-explosion thing earlier totally ruins it. If this were competently told, all the library stuff would have happened before the house got blown up by a laser, so Snout had to go sleep in a cave and realize that following up on the clues was worth doing.

Also have the ship show up to abduct after he finishes the page collection, also have the page be less bathetic, and maybe have a magical diagram?

Something funny I’ve noticed is that this is basically an incredibly bad version of the 19th century literacy narrative, where bookishness and engagement with the written word are core to subject formation (something that carries on in 20th c lit as well) except that the author clearly doesn’t have any theory about why books are good, he just likes them. Kinda. So you get this, where the written word has become a pointless cipher for dialogue rather than an actual thing in itself worth engaging with.

Llab
Dec 28, 2011

PEPSI FOR VG BABE
I bet we get a post Monday(Jan 6th) explaining the call to action and the hero refusing and then accepting. The guy did make a post about downtime, I can see him trying to explain the hero's journey.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Once again, why is his mission to find out about Deegan? Why isn't it to find out what happened to the Ink Witch and whose ship that is? Why does he care more about Dominic than his house?

Are we now to believe that he wants this book from Dominic to explain his dreams? If so, that's a really recent development, given that he was focusing on the pages and Deegan well before these dreams became prominent. And the dreams are so truncated narratively that it's hard to conceive of their importance. And, again, it really seems like he has bigger fish to fry and more important (and more INTERESTING) mysteries.

But no. Snout is a Mookie, and Mookie loves Dominic, so therefore he cares about Dominic above all else because [reason]. Logic be damned.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Seeing you mention it I am struck at how he has just completely ignored the witch getting kidnapped by robotnik who destroyed his house in the process.

"Oh bother.

Well I'm sure she's fine. Time to go look for some paper."

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Tesseraction posted:

Seeing you mention it I am struck at how he has just completely ignored the witch getting kidnapped by robotnik who destroyed his house in the process.

Yeah. And again, we're just totally assuming that she was kidnapped by the ship, because that's the way it seemed to us - but remember, she said "Find the ship" not "help me hide from the ship", which makes me think maybe what was supposed to be conveyed is that the ship is on her side.

But if that's the case, why did it destroy Snout's house, and why has the Ink Witch not communicated with Snout aside from the magic paper? So it doesn't really make sense that way either.

Regardless of which scenario it is, Snout has really dumb priorities and we're given very little reason why he should care about the identity/history of Dominic over trying to find the Ink Witch again or trying to rebuild his house and life. (Although honestly losing his house barely seemed to affect him anyway, so... :shrug: )

Once Snout found out the paper was the Ink Witch, why didn't he ask her, who are you? What is the ship? Why did it destroy my house? Are you in danger? Why do these pages matter at all? All we get this this page where he's like "Found the Ink Witch, still gonna look for the pages because [reason]": https://www.dominic-deegan.com/comic/october-21-2019/

In conclusion, Mookie bad writer.

Rotten Red Rod fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Dec 20, 2019

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!

Joe Slowboat posted:

Also, no dialogue.

Just a speech bubble coming out of the book that Snout is reading which explicitly says what he’d be saying, and then the weird tentacle beast has what it wants to say already written down on a form letter.

Really using the constraints to produce interesting storytelling.

It’d be like, super easy for him to better skirt the no dialogue rule. Just show us the proper angle of Snout pointing to the title in the book. Instead of a card that bluntly explains exactly what’s happening just have the squid point to a city on a map. You wouldn’t even have to show the title of the book since we still remember the page from two days ago and know Snout’s interested in this new book. There’s such a weird lack of confidence in his readers’ abilities to extrapolate what’s happening based on context clues.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

TheHan posted:

There’s such a weird lack of confidence in his readers’ abilities to extrapolate what’s happening based on context clues.

Mixed with a weird confidence that readers will understand things that make no sense, re: Snout's motivations and pretty much anything about the Ink Witch and the ship.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Once Snout found out the paper was the Ink Witch, why didn't he ask her, who are you? What is the ship? Why did it destroy my house? Are you in danger? Why do these pages matter at all? All we get this this page where he's like "Found the Ink Witch, still gonna look for the pages because [reason]": https://www.dominic-deegan.com/comic/october-21-2019/

In conclusion, Mookie bad writer.
I don't think we've seen anything that says its the ink witch at all. All we know is it claimed to be a specific spell, but has its Own Things going on and could be removed from the paper.
And he did ask the ink what it was, and the ink went "haha well, don't worry about it, i'll tell you later" and that was that.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

rannum posted:

I don't think we've seen anything that says its the ink witch at all. All we know is it claimed to be a specific spell, but has its Own Things going on and could be removed from the paper.
And he did ask the ink what it was, and the ink went "haha well, don't worry about it, i'll tell you later" and that was that.

It literally says it's the Ink Witch on the page I linked. Or at least Snout is pretty sure that's who it is and we're not given any indication it isn't, yet.

Obviously he's a huge dumbass for taking her, or whoever it is, at their word instead of saying, no, gently caress you, tell me now. But Snout being a huge dumbass is known.

Rotten Red Rod fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Dec 21, 2019

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Rotten Red Rod posted:

It literally says it's the Ink Witch on the page I linked. Or at least Snout is pretty sure that's who it is and weren't not given any indication it isn't, yet.

oh you're right, should have double checked that

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

What is this intellectual cowardice that prevents the library from being located in, DOWNTOWN ERROSUS?

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

MiracleFlare
Mar 27, 2012
To be fair, I also totally missed that it had already been explicitly said that was the Ink Witch (or at least Snout thinks it is)... which leads right back into how ridiculous it is that revelation was ignored beyond that single panel of text. There isn't any follow up on it, no "where are you, are you safe" or "who was piloting that ship" or even just "where's who's Dominic Deegan". For someone who's supposed to be brimming with curiosity, Snout sure seems unconcerned with actually asking questions when the opportunity arises!

The past few pages have already been torn apart, but to reiterate: How the hell did Snout miss this poem by Dominic when he was first researching him trying to figure out who he was? In a semi-realistic story, yes, it's very possible that someone manually searching one book after another would miss something on first pass. The problem is, his other library trips have established that he can, on the first try, easily find books with all the relevant information he needs. Even stuff he isn't actively searching for, like the true nature of pagefinders. It just further highlights how things only happen when they're convenient to the plot.

Besides, Snout's seen that poem index before. The recent callback implies as much, but... it still feels like a cop-out, because the audience isn't made aware of the connection. The titles are kept deliberately off-screen; it doesn't count as foreshadowing if the viewer doesn't even get to see the shadow. Plus, again, it establishes that Snout knew that Dominic himself wrote something. So... why didn't he follow up on that during his first research?

The only explanation I can think of is that Snout wasn't researching, and he just coincidentally saw his name while he was reading for fun. By... surrounding himself in three open books at once, I guess.

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

High-brow Shitposting. Approved!

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Marginally less content than usual in the coming weeks.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Mookie, that is a threat and I don't appreciate it.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
What if he does the right thing and just ends it there, and the entire comic is about a deaf man with a weird inconsistent nudity taboo who checks out a book and then moves across the street?

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

is that loving comic sans

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

What does Undertale have to do with this travesty?

Yes, yes it is.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Oh Mookie you motherfucker.

Right that's it, touch the poop everyone and send him tweets/emails on Wednesday asking "where's today's comic??????"

Do not actually do this.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

The worst thing about this is that it implies that these awful things that Mookie makes are too much strain for him to build up a backlog to queue up while he's gone.

He draws this poo poo the day of and it's all of his work for the day. He still doesn't even have clean gutters!

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Wasn’t that kind of always the thing with DD? Like, he never planned ahead outside of a broad strokes idea of what the current arc’s story would be.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

While true, he did originally do a week in advance if he was going on holiday, meaning we could binge them all at once if you knew the GIF's (yes he uploaded deegan in .gif format until this LEGACY arc) URLs, which were just the date of publication so it was easy to figure out.

Apparently he can't be arsed preparing 5 comics in advance these days. Which is pretty on-brand.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Tesseraction posted:

While true, he did originally do a week in advance if he was going on holiday, meaning we could binge them all at once if you knew the GIF's (yes he uploaded deegan in .gif format until this LEGACY arc)

Better than JPEG since GIF gives lossless compression, and it's not like he needs truecolor for his black-and-white doodles.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

While true, PNG gave better compression even taking his indexed colours into account. It was always a pain in the arse making edits because you had to import -> enable more than 16 colours before you could do anything.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!

Tesseraction posted:

While true, he did originally do a week in advance if he was going on holiday, meaning we could binge them all at once if you knew the GIF's (yes he uploaded deegan in .gif format until this LEGACY arc) URLs, which were just the date of publication so it was easy to figure out.

Apparently he can't be arsed preparing 5 comics in advance these days. Which is pretty on-brand.

I feel like it’s a horrible combination of not knowing where he’s going with it, “not having dialogue” so not only can he not exposition his way out of it but he has to figure out how to convey what he does want to say without text.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

TheHan posted:

I feel like it’s a horrible combination of not knowing where he’s going with it, “not having dialogue” so not only can he not exposition his way out of it but he has to figure out how to convey what he does want to say without text.

“Without text”

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!

Mors Rattus posted:

“Without text”

I can’t decide if Mookie keeps writing himself into corners and that’s why he keeps adding text, or if he thinks his audience is so stupid that they wouldn’t be able to keep track without dialogue. The whole pages dedicated to recalling what we just saw supports the latter.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

TheHan posted:

The whole pages dedicated to recalling what we just saw supports the latter.
Third option, he needs to keep reminding himself.

rudecyrus
Nov 6, 2009

fuck you trolls

PMush Perfect posted:

it's this

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

I mean, it was a constant obvious point in DD that Mookie was an incredibly lazy writer; he never bothered with back story or world building unless necessary for an immediate plot, he often turned to Dominic performing deus ex machinas, he often ended a strip with what he called a “pun” but was just a forced alliteration.

He’s just being lazy and doing something that he’s used to doing - bundles of words and explanations - and re-formatting it so it’s technically not dialogue because he wants the credit for doing something hard without doing something hard.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

He's writing his webcomic like it's a saturday morning cartoon, but with sex and gore. It's trying to appeal to people that liked that aesthetic, and want it replicated in more mature stories, without realising that maturity is reflected not only in content but also in form.

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa

PMush Perfect posted:

Mookie’s primary audience is and always has been himself. I’d call Dominic Deegan artistic masturbation but I obviously feel dirty using the word ‘artistic’ in association with it. But really, that’s what it always has been. In a way it is almost something I can sympathize with, except he also likes to pretend he has and cares about an external audience so eh, gently caress it. But if Mookie owned up to it and just admitted he does these comics solely for himself and only posts them in the off chance others may find some enjoyment from them, I think I would respect him more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
We’re back boys, time to undermine the previous page with too many words.