Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

barkbell posted:

so why the change in reaction when 3p0 is going to have to reformat his hard drive and get restored from backup

A lot of the characters in that scene are different people from the characters in The Empire Strikes Back

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

barkbell posted:

honestly i dont know what you are talking about, its obvious uve consumed way more star wars media than me ive only seen movies but 3p0 disappears in cloud city and no one really notices until chewie finds him dismantled. everyone is like aw shucks the toaster broke and are far more concerned with the implication that something fishy is going on and not some true loss of a friend

C3PO is annoying and everyone is happy when he's not around annoying them. They were like "woo, it's finally quiet now!" Han clearly sees him as a person, he's just a dick to him on purpose because that's his personality.

His memory banks are in his head, so he can be restored if his head isn't blown up.

Anyone who just views C3PO as just an object gets burned or blown up. Jimmy Smits was just like "erase this dude" so he gets blown up, Owen is all about thee slave droid life so he gets burned. C3PO is obviously secretly planning revenge on people all along.

Raccooon
Dec 5, 2009

Everyone posted:

Think about how much energy it would take to build a real-time 5G connection between here and, say, ULAS J0015+1. Force Lightning is easy compared to that poo poo.

Palpatine is releasing nuclear bomb level emps with no impact on his health.

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

The only moment that seriously impressed me was when Rey thought she killed Chewie. I thought it was a bold story choice, then they loving took it back. :mad:

I'm actually tired of seeing how emphasized Chewie has been. He's appeared in 8 of the movies now, while Rose and Maz were really awkwardly sidelined.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Next movie should have Chewie with fur impressively styled short, wearing full regalia prominently displaying his medal, including a bowler hat. He has a decorative cane and he speaks full rear end English

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
Chewie is a fun nostalgia character who doesn't require you to actually write anything of course he's gonna be all over these movies.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009
Chewie is also extremely toyetic, no way Disney allows him to be killed off.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Chewbacca cannot die, only the actors who portray him

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
Does the guy who plays Chewie now have to be in the SAG since he doesn't have any actual spoken lines?

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog
Chewbacca does not die in the movies for the same reason he was the only one allowed to die in the EU.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

Does the guy who plays Chewie now have to be in the SAG since he doesn't have any actual spoken lines?

Maybe it's like Mayhew where he does have dialogue, but it just gets dubbed over in post.

Defenistrator
Mar 27, 2007
Ask me about my burritos
Just saw episode 9. Where the gently caress did the Kylo Rey love arc come from?

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
It was a cheap move but it worked

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
The footage where you can hear Mayhew is the best

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Defenistrator posted:

Just saw episode 9. Where the gently caress did the Kylo Rey love arc come from?

from the last jedi

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler

Davros1 posted:

Maybe it's like Mayhew where he does have dialogue, but it just gets dubbed over in post.

Woah, I honestly didn't know they did that.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FD9rlb1QAqM

Raccooon
Dec 5, 2009

Defenistrator posted:

Last Jedi. Their minds are basically interlinked giving them deep empathy for each other.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Defenistrator posted:

Did you forget the scene where you can see his shirtless rectangular torso and Rey gets flustered

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

TulliusCicero posted:

Both Johnson and Abrams are BAAAADD writers.

Johnson wrote a bad star war but he isn't a bad writer on balance. Looper and Knives Out were good

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc

mastershakeman posted:

Did you forget the scene where you can see his shirtless rectangular torso and Rey gets flustered

lol I forgot about that

"do you have a cowl or something you can put on?" is the rare modern quippy moment in these things that totally worked for me.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Boxman posted:

Johnson wrote a bad star war but he isn't a bad writer on balance. Looper and Knives Out were good

Yeah though I did describe Last Jedi as "clearly written by the guy that put unnecessary telekinesis in his time traveling hitmen movie" when a friend wanted my spoiler free take.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
I wish battlestar wasn't as popular as it was so Rian could have fully ripped off the hyperspace chase thing instead of half-assedly doing it and turning it into the OJ Simpson White Bronco chase in space

Gargamel Gibson
Apr 24, 2014
The guy who fixed Kylo Ren's helmet straight up was just a chimp. What up with that?

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Gargamel Gibson posted:

The guy who fixed Kylo Ren's helmet straight up was just a chimp. What up with that?

Shows he isnt speciest unlike the rest of the first order

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Gargamel Gibson posted:

He had long ears gosh.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc

Gargamel Gibson posted:

Koba from Planet of the Apes is out here getting work man

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Intel&Sebastian posted:

Also I almost cried when Chewie got his medal finally lmfao

I just realized the other night that the more hilarious/hosed up thing about this is Maz totally ganked that medal after Leia vanished into the force (Leia was holding on to the medal as she passed away). She probably had second thoughts and was like "it's probably a bad look, being a grave robber... I'll uhh, give the medal to Chewie." Lmao.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
drat for real?

Why did Leia even have a medal they gave them to Luke and Han

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Intel&Sebastian posted:

drat for real?

Why did Leia even have a medal they gave them to Luke and Han

Guessing it was on the Falcon? But like, yeah, Maz totally was gonna keep the medal I bet. She was the only one there when Leia vanished, lmao.

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

Rey's arc:

-Millennial living in shithole apartment doing subsistence level freelancing
-Receives a job offer from a boomer that gets revoked when he unexpectedly dies
-Two movies of getting paid in experience
-Finally becomes the owner of a fixer-upper house in a crummy location after all the boomers die

zelah
Dec 1, 2004

Diabetes, you are not invited to my pizza party.
She probably gave Chewy Han’s medal.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

zelah posted:

That's what I was implying/saying with it being on the Falcon. Leia was holding onto Han's medal as she died, and Maz took it after she vanished.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Raccooon posted:

Next Star Wars movie will have a Jedi deflect a death star shot with a lightsaber lol
But then it tragically bounces straight into Chewie

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

zelah posted:

Hahahahaha

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

Carrie Fisher gave chewie a medal on the mtv movie awards back in the 90s or something. Why didn't Pablo catch this

edit: maybe you stick the medal in the VR set at chewie's house and you get an erotic harrison ford hologram

Captain Jesus
Feb 26, 2009

What's wrong with you? You don't even have your beer goggles on!!
I have now also seen the new movie and all I have to add is this: the twin sunset at the ends has the same shape as BB8 for some reason in one of the scenes.

It feels like a movie that has been in development without a clear idea of what it's supposed to be or how it's supposed to end. All that stuff with wayfinders feels like unnecessary filler, whose inclusion is baffling. They final confrontation between Rey and Palpatine is extremely boring and Kylo is unused even though he's there. Having Rey and Kylo beat Palpatine together through some kind of teamwork would make sense and be more entertaining, but it probably didn't come up until it was too late to do the necessary reshoots so they just put together what they could.

The scenes with Leia were extremely weird and were made worse by the turd colored goblin with buttholes for eyes that provided the exposition to bridge the limited material they had.

I was surprisingly okay with most of the movie though. Being spoiled probably helped because I knew what I was going into. The rey/kylo kiss didn't incite laughter in my theater but kylo dying immediately did for some reason. I found the humor in this movie more bearable in TLJ which was a relief. There weren't as many instances or a serious situation being undermined by a pointless joke as in TLJ, or at least it didn't feel like there were. There were some though, like when 3P0 got his memory wiped.

Captain Jesus fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Dec 23, 2019

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged

Defenistrator posted:

My mom offered an interesting explanation when we were watching. During the ending she leaned over and explained as an experienced watcher of them that this was a Hallmark movie. I noted I didn’t think those had a bad guy throwing lightning around, but not A MINUTE LATER Rey and Ben kissed :stonk:. I had to grant she was right at that point really...

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

barkbell posted:

so why the change in reaction when 3p0 is going to have to reformat his hard drive and get restored from backup

Per the movie, 3-PO was less than certain that R2 had maintained his backups. Even reset, 3PO had his basic personality. The point was that he risked losing months, maybe years worth of memories and experiences.

teagone posted:

That's what I was implying/saying with it being on the Falcon. Leia was holding onto Han's medal as she died, and Maz took it after she vanished.

That's obviously what happened. They really needed to put in a line about "Leia wanted you to have Han's medal."

The point wasn't "Chewie finally gets a medal." It was "Chewie gets a final gift from someone who loved his very best friend." But the movie hosed it up.

Everyone fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Dec 23, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love

Groovelord Neato posted:

The bad movies imply Palpatine created Anakin during the squid opera scene.

It did no such thing.