Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
Finally got around to watching Eliminators. Fun movie, but I'm not sure if Adkins should ever attempt an american accent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheOmegaWalrus
Feb 3, 2007

by Hand Knit

MrBling posted:

Finally got around to watching Eliminators. Fun movie, but I'm not sure if Adkins should ever attempt an american accent.

His Russian is even worse.

But that's OK. Adkins has many ways of communication.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

Blast Fantasto posted:

Money, I would guess? That came out in 2003 which was probably the lowest point in Stallone’s career. After Cop Land but before he started to turn it around with Rocky Balboa.

Look at the stuff Stallone is in during the 5 year stretch from 2001-2006

- Driven
- Eye See You
- Avenging Angelo
- Shade
- Spy Kids 3

It’s a rough period
Oof. Yeah, that checks out. Still a trip seeing Sly as a VR overlord with three VR caricatures of himself as henchmen.

The D in Detroit
Oct 13, 2012
Spy Kids 3D was the first Stallone movie I ever saw

It’s all been downhill from there

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
So 6 Underground is kinda ok, decent action and whatnot, but everything to do with Four and his parkour bullshit is just dumb. The whole point of parkour is supposedly to get from point A to point B as quickly and directly as possible, but the bad guys are constantly breathing down his neck. Maybe just quit the bullshit and run like a normal person if all that stuff isn't actually helping you evade pursuers.

BioTech
Feb 5, 2007
...drinking myself to sleep again...

Inspector 34 posted:

So 6 Underground is kinda ok, decent action and whatnot, but everything to do with Four and his parkour bullshit is just dumb. The whole point of parkour is supposedly to get from point A to point B as quickly and directly as possible, but the bad guys are constantly breathing down his neck. Maybe just quit the bullshit and run like a normal person if all that stuff isn't actually helping you evade pursuers.

I thought 6 Underground had two fun ideas for kinetic action scenes, did those, and the car chase well, but everything else was just a mess.
Weird tonal shifts, sanitized violence mixed up with gory shots, weird character building, it all seemed very unpolished.
I get the idea this was a rushed project, where multiple scripts were mashed together without any attempt to create a whole.

I'll watch the next installment of Bay does Ryan Reynolds' Mission Impossible.

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?
...So it's just your average Michael Bay movie. Good to know.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

David D. Davidson posted:

...So it's just your average Michael Bay movie. Good to know.

It's like the normal Bay movie but with everything dialed up to 11, including the usual flaws and the usual strong points. The action is really very well done and there are a few scenes that I'd put up there with anything else from 2019. But the character stuff is even worse than usual for Bay, and there's almost no effort to put together a decent plot.

The good news is that the opening car chase gives you a good idea of everything I'm talking about so you can put it on and by the end of the scene you'll know if you want to continue with the movie.

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side
The opening car chase is all kinds of absurd. I'm not sure how long it is, but it felt like half an hour and went through about 4 or 5 complete shifts in music. Well made and some cool shots in it though.

My biggest issue was the fact that the tone is all over the place. For the most part it's a quippy PG action romp, that I'd happily watch with my kid. But there's a fair bit of sudden unessecary gore or nastiness that comes so out-of-the-blue it feels completely tacked on for no apparent reason. I don't have a problem with gruesome action films, but it feels totally out of place here. This is actually kind of weird because they are so obviously setting it up to be a big dumb Fast and Furious style franchise... which I'm not sure if there's much chancde of happening. Likewise the protagonists' complete disregard for civilian casualties (to the point of joking about it) as they go after a real bad dude who they don't like because of his complete disregard for civilian casualties is kind of :shrug:

And yeah, that parkour guy is just so loving dumb. Especially during the initial car chase. It's one of those things that makes so little sense and adds so little I don't know how it got past the script stage. I was cracking up when they decided to throw in some random skateboarding as well. Just as funny during the Hong Kong stuff where he's being chased by armed goons and he's parkouring the gently caress out of it to get away from them and they don't seem to have any trouble whatsoever keeping up with him just running through rooms and down stairs like a normal person would, came close to parody.

I watch plenty of bad action films late at night when I can't sleep and this is like the most high budget and production value bad action film I've seen so still gets some thumbs up if your expectations are low.

Gravy Jones fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Dec 16, 2019

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
Having been to Florence several times, all I could think about during the opening chase was how much the cars were teleporting around the city (yeah, all action movies do that, but this took it to insane new levels), and that central Florence apparently has several large areas of open parkland between its landmark piazzas.

I'm impressed by Bay's ability to get major cities to shut down on his whim, though. Reading up on it, they were shooting in Florence for a month. The local residents must have loving hated his guts.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I was taking a long weekend in Philadelphia when I walked into an antique shop. My companions thought it was the best antique shop they'd ever seen. I thought that this was not an antique shop, it's an idealized antique shop from a movie set. That turned out to be exactly what it was. Welp, that's my story.

Steen71
Apr 10, 2017

Fun Shoe

Payndz posted:

Having been to Florence several times, all I could think about during the opening chase was how much the cars were teleporting around the city (yeah, all action movies do that, but this took it to insane new levels), and that central Florence apparently has several large areas of open parkland between its landmark piazzas.

This reminds me of re-watching Ronin after a visit to Nice. Let's just say that they do some impressive teleporting in that one too.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Payndz posted:

Bay is horrendous about respecting basic geography in his films, both as relates to the real locations and within the films themselves.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

So out of the Jesse Johnson x Scott Adkins collabs, which one is the best? I saw Avengement the other night and I think I've heard things about Savage Dog (good) and Triple Threat (bad). The former I think has disappeared from Netflix?

Savage Dog
Accident Man
Triple Threat
Avengement
The Debt Collector
[did I miss any?]

I liked the way the narrative was framed in Avengement; a lot less conventional than I expected out of a beat-em-up flick! Surprised at the gruesomeness of the violence but given the plot synopsis I'm not sure what I was thinking. In terms of pure fighting I can't say there was anything that wowed me but Adkins and the whole setup kept me engaged.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Personally I think Accident Man is the best. It's the one that feels the least like the typical low-budget Adkins stuff, it's more like a "real movie" and if someone asked me why I thought Adkins could pull of a starring role in a big budget Hollywood action flick I'd show them Accident Man.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Basebf555 posted:

Personally I think Accident Man is the best. It's the one that feels the least like the typical low-budget Adkins stuff, it's more like a "real movie" and if someone asked me why I thought Adkins could pull of a starring role in a big budget Hollywood action flick I'd show them Accident Man.

I thought he was really good in Avengement. Maybe because acting in his normal accent (or something closer to it) helped but I never once saw him as a martial artist trying to act.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
Marvel should grit up Captain Britain to compete with Sony Deadpool and cast Adkins as the lead. I'd watch that beautiful train wreck day one.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Lobok posted:

I thought he was really good in Avengement. Maybe because acting in his normal accent (or something closer to it) helped but I never once saw him as a martial artist trying to act.

He's using his natural accent in Accident Man too. Avengement is really good but still, it's mostly a one-location movie and you can definitely feel the low budget as you watch it. Accident Man either had a much higher budget or they just did a better job working around the limitations because I didn't feel the budget at all while watching it.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

JBP posted:

Marvel should grit up Captain Britain to compete with Sony Deadpool and cast Adkins as the lead. I'd watch that beautiful train wreck day one.

Marvel/Disney now owns Sony Deadpool so they don’t really need to compete with it.

Avengement and Accident Man are definitely my favorites from that list. I don’t know if Adkins could star in a big movie (his window on that has probably closed) but he could absolutely play the villain in John Wick 4. It was awesome to have Dacascos kick rear end in JW3, would love to see Adkins in 4.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Blast Fantasto posted:

Marvel/Disney now owns Sony Deadpool so they don’t really need to compete with it.

Avengement and Accident Man are definitely my favorites from that list. I don’t know if Adkins could star in a big movie (his window on that has probably closed) but he could absolutely play the villain in John Wick 4. It was awesome to have Dacascos kick rear end in JW3, would love to see Adkins in 4.

A normal 40+ year old guy's window might be closed but Adkins ain't normal. Dude looks 30 and is still in better shape than any other action star out there. Give him an action franchise and he could definitely run with it for 10 years or so without showing signs of age.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
I meant less from an age standpoint and more from the perspective of, if someone was going to make Adkins a big star it would have happened by now. People have been saying he’s about to break out for like 10 years now, or back to whenever Ninja came out.

Part of the problem is that martial arts/action movies are much more of a niche thing these days. Other than John Wick it’s not like they’re getting a lot of play because the market is so dominated by superhero stuff/fast and furious stuff.

I also forgot until just now that Adkins is one of the guys Doctor Strange beats up with his cape.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Breaking through is really about opportunity though, which Adkins has not had. And that was really my point, if someone gave him the chance, he'd hit a home run. The only question mark is whether that chance will ever come. Maybe it won't, the guy has had a very nice career regardless.

But if someone was thinking about whether or not to give him that chance, I'd want them to see Accident Man.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
Put Adkins in John Wick 5. As John Wick's British half-brother, Nate Wick.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

Lobok posted:

So out of the Jesse Johnson x Scott Adkins collabs, which one is the best? I saw Avengement the other night and I think I've heard things about Savage Dog (good) and Triple Threat (bad). The former I think has disappeared from Netflix?

Savage Dog
Accident Man
Triple Threat
Avengement
The Debt Collector
[did I miss any?]

I liked the way the narrative was framed in Avengement; a lot less conventional than I expected out of a beat-em-up flick! Surprised at the gruesomeness of the violence but given the plot synopsis I'm not sure what I was thinking. In terms of pure fighting I can't say there was anything that wowed me but Adkins and the whole setup kept me engaged.

Savage Dog and Accident Man are their best, but I have a soft spot for The Debt Collector. It's kind of their DTV take on Pulp Fiction. It doesn't have as much action as the others, but Adkins and Louis Mandylor are really good in it. I think it's getting a sequel too.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Steen71 posted:

This reminds me of re-watching Ronin after a visit to Nice. Let's just say that they do some impressive teleporting in that one too.
I was in Nice earlier this year (making a point of visiting the restaurant shootout location :v:), and yeah, the chase doubles back on itself at least twice and goes down a couple of streets that are nowhere near the main line of action.

Obviously production practicalities and aesthetic choices are a factor, but it's always funny to see films totally ignore geographical reality just 'cause. It'd be like a New York car chase starting at the Empire State, then going to 1WTC, Central Park, across the Brooklyn Bridge, through Harlem and finishing at the Statue of Liberty.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Nice: Twinned with Nasty.

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
Where are there a bunch of Adkins movies streaming? Been meaning to catch up on a bunch of the stuff you all have posted here but not really sure where to look for em.

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man

Inspector 34 posted:

Where are there a bunch of Adkins movies streaming? Been meaning to catch up on a bunch of the stuff you all have posted here but not really sure where to look for em.

Avengement is on netflix, Ninja Shadow Of A Tear is on tubi.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

And in general, if you have a particular title you're looking for you can use justwatch to find out where you can watch it and compare prices if the only options are renting or buying. For my Canuck brethren there's also shockingly a justwatch Canada.

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006
Holy poo poo - the end of the last Rambo movie is brutal and also sort of ruined his character

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

Pillowpants posted:

Holy poo poo - the end of the last Rambo movie is brutal and also sort of ruined his character

It’s a terrible, terrible movie that fails even to feel like a Rambo movie at all. A lovely, racist riff on Taken that becomes an absurd gory Home Alone in the last 20 minutes.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Movie should’ve ended with a de-aged version of the John Rambo from first blood gutting the roided our golem that’s been parading around in Stallone’s skin suit for the past 30 years.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause

Blast Fantasto posted:

It’s a terrible, terrible movie that fails even to feel like a Rambo movie at all. A lovely, racist riff on Taken that becomes an absurd gory Home Alone in the last 20 minutes.

The parts where dudes would die instantly to traps or whatever and then Rambo would rake their corpses with gunfire was utterly hysterical. What was being conveyed there??? Has Stallone's brains melted out of his skull finally or what.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

I assume the only reason he didn't piss on the corpses was prostate issues.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Blast Fantasto posted:

A lovely, racist riff on Taken that becomes an absurd gory Home Alone in the last 20 minutes.

Taken already is lovely and racist though.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Inspector 34 posted:

I've been working through the top 50 list and I've noticed that hoopla of all places has by far the best selection (for instance, it seems to have every Korean action movie). If you have a local library card it should be free for you. Kanopy as well but that's more art house stuff

Speaking of just watch, its a godsend. I put about 50 movies on my watchlist and about half of them aren't available anywhere to stream and the other half split between a half dozen services.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Looking at the list posted earlier and I've only seen fury road, I guess somehow I stopped watching action movies? What are the top five I must see from that list/the last decade. The Raid's been on my radar but most of these I only know as movie previews I wasn't interested in.

Oh wait, I saw winter soldier for some reason, but those are the only two.

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man

Jack B Nimble posted:

What are the top five I must see from that list/the last decade.

Here are my top five of the 2010s

The raid
Universal soldier day of reckoning
Re:born
The man from nowhere
Avengement

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
I would say that if you wanted to have an idea of what action films were like in this decade, it'd very very hard to do that without The Raid and John Wick. Those are the two movies that I think have defined the genre this decade more than any others.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
I still can't believe how high they stuck The Winter Soldier on that list.