Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

It seems Oculus is gifting Asgard's Wrath with the official Link cable?
https://www.reddit.com/r/OculusQuest/comments/eene9z/just_woke_up_to_this_email_oculus_is_giving_me/

It would really sweeten up the otherwise expensive price.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happyimp
Sep 26, 2007

I exist I guess.

Thoom posted:

Yeah, the first thing I did was go through the sampler. But there are enough guns that deviate from the basics of their archetype that that I still get tripped up.

My biggest problem is just fumbling to reload while under fire. Revolver Ocelot, I am not. Especially when the game doesn't think I let go of the bolt after I've chambered a round and ends up dragging it halfway back before I notice and have to do it all over again. My best so far is 1.5 holds, the one time I lucked into a semi-automatic pistol.

Yeah, bolt action is never really good for take & hold, since they always come out in pairs. I am hoping that he makes a sniper centric map one day. H3 has my highest hours played, so it's weird thinking about how much I fumbled reloading when I started.

jubjub64
Feb 17, 2011

Turin Turambar posted:

It seems Oculus is gifting Asgard's Wrath with the official Link cable?
https://www.reddit.com/r/OculusQuest/comments/eene9z/just_woke_up_to_this_email_oculus_is_giving_me/

It would really sweeten up the otherwise expensive price.

I didn't get that deal (at least not yet, I ordered the day it came out) so don't jump on that until something official is announced.

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
Not sure how I feel about the 90 and 360 degree Beat Saber maps. The concept is very cool and vastly expands the range of possible movement, but it's the first time in Beat Saber that I'm feeling the limited horizontal field of view (original Rift). Some of the transitions I can barely see, and those late, if I'm looking at the central track. There's just not enough peripheral vision for it to feel good.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

homeless snail posted:

I've played a decent amount of FSX with FlyInside, but that dude seems to be abandoning the mods for his own weird flight sim project. Anyone have anything to say about the native VR support in X-Plane or Aerofly?

I really just want to play Deadstick...

X-Plane's VR support works fine, with the biggest problem being that you really need a minimum constant 45fps for VR, and X-Plane is made by a guy who believes that 25-35fps is "optimal" for flight sims and thus has never focused on modern performance standards. It runs poo poo in VR, and will gently caress with people who feel sick when the framerate dips below what your headset can smooth out. I can manage alright, but YMMV. It's arguably worse than DCS World in that respect. War Thunder, of all drat things, is the best-running flight sim, but that's of course a much different type of game than FSX or X-Plane.

That said, I believe the X-Plane demo has VR support implemented, so give it a whirl.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
I use left-stick move, right-stick snap on touch controllers for H3VR. Works fine. I just turn my body during most firefights but the snap is pretty needed to get myself oriented ideally for my sensors. The mag release/safety on the thumbstick isn't ideal but not that big of a deal. The number of times I screw up because I had trouble with the controller is WAY less than the number of times I just forgot to turn off a safety or badly loaded a round.

Take and Hold really needs more environments, the config page for it seems to indicate this is coming.

The Meatmas Cappocolosseum grilling/wave defense mode is also really good for anyone who likes take and hold.

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

IIRC Anton mentioned at some point one of the big goals for next year was a new take and hold map, something more outdoorsy for long range combat.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
This is where I would totally be on board for Anton to do DLC. If it would improve dev time and quality a 3-map, multiple themed spawn list, expanded "hold" mechanic scene would easily be worth $5 or so.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Has anyone had any experience with this? It's a VR mod for classic spacesim X-Wing Alliance:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cnUuERqFPqs

Seems like it would be loving awesome, and I'm itching for a proper Star Wars spacesim fix.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Lockback posted:

This is where I would totally be on board for Anton to do DLC. If it would improve dev time and quality a 3-map, multiple themed spawn list, expanded "hold" mechanic scene would easily be worth $5 or so.

Wouldn't DLC like that just INCREASE the workload of a small team, because they now perpetually have to build for the haves and have-nots? Nevermind the geometric entanglement across multiple DLC sets.

Anton's also said the reason it's never on sale is because they keep adding content.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

No? Its not like you have to build a separate exe for each permutation of having/not having dlc

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Ok, my Bluetooth issues came from the newer Windows insider build. Hope that poo poo gets fixed by whoever is responsible, otherwise that's gonna be fun come March 2020.

What is it with operating system manufacturers dicking with Bluetooth each release. Android's the goddamn same.

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

Taintrunner posted:

Has anyone had any experience with this? It's a VR mod for classic spacesim X-Wing Alliance:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cnUuERqFPqs

Seems like it would be loving awesome, and I'm itching for a proper Star Wars spacesim fix.

After reading the comments I'm gonna go with not awesome.

Using 2 DOF tracking to keep people from sticking their head out of the cockpit is the most insane thing I've ever read. 2 DOF head tracking sounds like vomit city.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Also, I just tried GTA5 with VR, it's pretty fun. The AFR creating artifacts is a bit irritating. On the same note, Rockstar updated LA Noire with support for the Index, Vive Pro Eye, etc., including actual eye tracking support. People claim LA Noire is Rockstar's test bed for VR stuff, so I sure hope GTA6 will get some of that.

Tip posted:

Using 2 DOF tracking to keep people from sticking their head out of the cockpit is the most insane thing I've ever read. 2 DOF head tracking sounds like vomit city.
Wait what? Pitch and yaw but no roll on the head movement? Why?

Combat Pretzel fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Dec 24, 2019

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

LA Noire VR got an update. Interesting mostly because it means Rockstar is still working on VR stuff, maybe using LA Noire as a kind of testbed?

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Wouldn't DLC like that just INCREASE the workload of a small team, because they now perpetually have to build for the haves and have-nots? Nevermind the geometric entanglement across multiple DLC sets.

That's really only true for multiplayer games, or if he gated out certain weapons or actions or something. Scenes are pretty standalone and the overhead for managing that really shouldn't be that high. I think there's a real limit to how much you can gate behind DLCs, but Scenes like that wouldn't be too hard and could be scaled if he was adding more people.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Anton's also said the reason it's never on sale is because they keep adding content.

Yeah, I have zero qualms about the output, obviously. He is very justified at keeping the price static and the updates are awesome. What I'd like is for him to flesh out the ideas more and fully admit that that is more than can be reasonably asked given his model. Real Expansion-like DLCs seem pretty justified here.

It probably won't happen, but who knows.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

SEKCobra posted:

Refunded Boneworks because the game was really just annoying me rather than fun. Had a few game breaking bugs, the final straw was when I died because I had dropped my gun instead of putting it in the slot (apparently), respawned way way earlier in the level without ANY weapons. Got past the grinder again, moved through the level, suddenly I get picked up and thrown into the grinder. OK, figure this is supposed to be part of the game, whatever it was unexpected but I can live with that, do the whole section again, this time bypassing the grabber. Welp, still have no weapons (guns or otherwise), fistfight is extremely clumsy and I get killed again. Decided I was not having any fun with this game.
Boneworks and Zero Caliber have the same problem which should be a major UI sin at this point: just because the player is in-game crouching via a button doesn't mean you should move the holster point away from where their real-life hip is.

Boneworks could also be a bit more generous with its latch points, it's very easy to toss something over your shoulder instead of mount it on your back.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

NRVNQSR posted:

Huh; that does seem to make a big difference, yeah. Still a bit floaty with sleeves pulled back, but not as bad.
From a few pages back, but how are you playing VR in long sleeves and not overheating immediately?

Hell, the idea of wearing long sleeves indoors is something I try to avoid.

The idea of long sleeves occluding hand tracking is a problem I never even contemplated.

jubjub64
Feb 17, 2011

ShadowHawk posted:

Boneworks and Zero Caliber have the same problem which should be a major UI sin at this point: just because the player is in-game crouching via a button doesn't mean you should move the holster point away from where their real-life hip is.

Boneworks could also be a bit more generous with its latch points, it's very easy to toss something over your shoulder instead of mount it on your back.

I still can't figure out where exactly my pistols or accessory item are supposed to be on my body. Also, I'm chubby so grabbing ammo off my hip is really difficult unless I lean to that side so it thinks my waist is further out that it really is.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
...Why on earth does Lone Echo and Echo Arena not register menu selections if you're holding the grip button? :confused:

Took a while to figure out what was the problem when I'm actively holding the grip bar :cripes:

jubjub64 posted:

I still can't figure out where exactly my pistols or accessory item are supposed to be on my body. Also, I'm chubby so grabbing ammo off my hip is really difficult unless I lean to that side so it thinks my waist is further out that it really is.

Large Weapons/Items go in Shoulder slots, Small Weapons go in under-arm slots.

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

wolrah posted:

From a few pages back, but how are you playing VR in long sleeves and not overheating immediately?

Hell, the idea of wearing long sleeves indoors is something I try to avoid.

The idea of long sleeves occluding hand tracking is a problem I never even contemplated.

Nothing that currently supports hand tracking involves moving your body in any way; we're not talking Beat Saber here.

Also it's currently winter in the northern hemisphere.

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

So, having now I have a Vive with a wireless adapter that works (turns out it was the battery) and it's bonkers.

It doesn't immediately feel that freeing, until you start spinning like a ballerina in take and hold when you get rushed in the harder zones. Jet Island is way more fun. Playing pavlov TTT is a lot more "freeing", the minor amount roleplaying that comes along with each round is just made that much better.

I was looking at some best of VR lists, is Battlezone a fun and worthwhile time? I don't really have any mech/racing games. I was also thinking of getting Ultrawings to fill the same need

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Ultrawings is real good. It’s pilotwings but in VR. Very good scale and sense of height.

However, it will not take advantage of your wireless setup at all since it’s a seated game.

But don’t let that stop you because like I said, it’s real good. Also try the virtual stick option, it works better than you’d think it would.

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Yeah I found the virtual stick in No Man's Sky to be pretty manageable and I've heard nothing but good things about Ultrawings.

Is Lone Echo/Echo Arena playable with the Vive Wands? I won't have the opportunity to get some knuckles with more control options for a few months.

Oh and Tea for God is way more fun without cables.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

ShadowHawk posted:

Hah, funny this should get mentioned as I came across this same issue today.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:
Thanks to whoever recommended the custom campaign, I really like it so far. Had a few challenging bits already, but nothing terrible.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes
How has no one made a VR Kaiju game for VR yet? I want to be swinging my arms around to smash buildings. Failing that, a Pacific rim game, given the controls in the movie it should be a shoe in.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Darkrenown posted:

How has no one made a VR Kaiju game for VR yet? I want to be swinging my arms around to smash buildings. Failing that, a Pacific rim game, given the controls in the movie it should be a shoe in.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/556340/King_Kaiju/

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

Darkrenown posted:

How has no one made a VR Kaiju game for VR yet? I want to be swinging my arms around to smash buildings.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/808550/Project_Rampage_VR/

They exist, they're just not very good.

Luneshot
Mar 10, 2014

Oh man, now I’m thinking about a Cities Skylines VR mod. Changing the scale of your view, walking around your city in first person or poking at it like a toy train model. With included kaiju mode, of course.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Darkrenown posted:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/566870/VR_Monster_Awakens/

https://store.steampowered.com/app/588560/VRobot_VR_Giant_Robot_Destruction_Simulator/

I feel like theres one more "monster" one Im missing that looked decent.

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Luneshot posted:

Oh man, now I’m thinking about a Cities Skylines VR mod. Changing the scale of your view, walking around your city in first person or poking at it like a toy train model. With included kaiju mode, of course.

Yeah, if you've ever spent some time spectating in Pavlov the controls for modifying the size of the spectator cam is pretty intuitive and could be used pretty easily in an RTS.

Now that you mention it, does anyone remember From Dust?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FxDColNWdss

It was a fairly unique game and appealed to me primarily because of the water simulation. Never did beat it though 🤔 In a similar vein there's VR Sand, kinda like the old browser game, and it has pretty rudimentary physics for fire, water, etc, but if there was a halfway decent port of From Dust I think it would be pretty fun.

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost

Penpal posted:

I was looking at some best of VR lists, is Battlezone a fun and worthwhile time? I don't really have any mech/racing games. I was also thinking of getting Ultrawings to fill the same need

All the big sim racing games are on deep discount right now and each have VR support, HMD only; Assetto Corsa, Dirt Rally 2.0, Project Cars 2 are each between 70 - 75% off, 85% off for ultimate editions. Wreckfest is more goof less sim at 60% off. Just keep in mind, these can take a beefy PC to run in VR at high settings.

I've heard Ultrawings is pretty lite on content and repetitive as hell with recycled missions for each aircraft padding out the length of the game but perfect if you just want to sit down and be flying in a minute or two without trouble. Sopwith VR is a very basic, very free pick-up-and-play biplane flying game and is worth trying.

Now, if you want to sit down and earn a pilot's license and study a full technical manual before flying anything, VTOL VR is your boy. It's a straight simulator where you legit learn to fly VTOL aircraft by interacting with switches and buttons in the cockpit and it's easily the best sim in all of VR. Also probably the hardest to get into.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

Darkrenown posted:

This one is multiplayer - you get to smash your friends who are playing tanks/planes using controllers: https://store.steampowered.com/app/623540/Late_For_Wo

ShadowHawk fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Dec 25, 2019

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes
Oh wow, I stand corrected, thanks!

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

ShadowHawk posted:

Have you tried an active extension cable? eg https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=9470

I just received one of these today and holy poo poo it works, thanks!

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Penpal posted:

Is Lone Echo/Echo Arena playable with the Vive Wands? I won't have the opportunity to get some knuckles with more control options for a few months.

Veey much so! Your controls on the trackpads are to press the quarter sections facing eachother for the wrist thrusters, up on the left to boost, and up on the right to brake.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Anton sent me a 20mm round and a tiny M4A1 in the mail for Meatmas

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Taintrunner posted:

Anton sent me a 20mm round and a tiny M4A1 in the mail for Meatmas

Wait, the Meatmas Day presents are live already? :stwoon:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Wait, the Meatmas Day presents are live already? :stwoon:

No these are from last year’s art contest they finally shipped out. It’s a real life 20mm M103 round and a miniature M4A1 replica that’s fully metal with moving parts. Also t-shirts and meat candies