Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

Defenistrator posted:

Just saw episode 9. Where the gently caress did the Kylo Rey love arc come from?

https://twitter.com/BeninaStern/status/1207704703141695488

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Intel&Sebastian posted:

But he wasn't? he was trying to move past the first order and everything else and do an Anakin-esque "maybe we can be benevolent rulers" thing.

Maybe I’m misremembering, then. I thought it was just “we can rule together” Vader-style, i.e. Rey goes to the First Order. If not, then it’s even weirder that she doesn’t accept - she could at least try to decapitate the First Order that way, if they’d both defect.

quote:

Rey deciding to join would have been a ESB-worthy shocker though, I'll give you that.

:sigh: what could have been

quote:

Kylo's appeal to her in that moment is probably the best writing the sequel trilogy has

After the Ben/Han scene in TROS, I’m convinced that Adam Driver is the best actor in all of Star Wars, and the franchise doesn’t deserve him.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

dex_sda posted:

It not happening.

Cut the loving film the moment Kylo asks Rey to join him and she's all in tears and emotional. A great cliffhanger, echoing Empire, but different - your big bad guy is dead, awesome space battle ends in a sacrifice of what should have been Leia, there is a future of this uncertain "destroy the old" alliance between Rey and Kylo (what's gonna happen between those two characters with amazing chemistry? A non-stupid romance? Weird neutral sith-jedi breed?) and in the third movie, Luke can now complete the arc from TLJ by finding back the bottle in him to be a Jedi again and interfere in the Reylo thing, whatever that may be.

So many interesting ideas, and it's set up perfectly. Instead, they double back on those things. Luke's arc gets haphazardly finished for no real reason in a battle against the Kylo who is complete bad now again. Rey lifts rocks. Finn doesn't sacrifice himself and this is seen as good even though sacrifice happened 10 minutes before and was seen as good.

e; it would even fit the drat title of this one!

Oh gently caress, this, this! This could be good too! gently caress, TLJ!

https://youtu.be/HEb1jZErYeE

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

Pollyanna posted:

Oh gently caress, this, this!

Fix the Canto Bight section to be not-awful, probably by focusing on Poe and Finn since they also have amazing chemistry, and it would have belonged in the same sentence as Empire. These two years would have been filled with hype.

Instead, everything sucks. The last 30 minutes of TLJ are worse than pointless.

e; You could also have Rey actually join at the end of the movie, would have made for an equally good cliffhanger, though I think leaving it ambiguous would have been better.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

Mymla posted:

I can't decide which scene was worse, the one where 500 star destroyers couldn't immediately destroy the rebels' 5 fighters, or the one where 5000 randos showed up out of nowhere for the last battle just because... idk why? Lando made some calls maybe?

Like jesus christ, if there are this many people eager for a Heroic Last Stand Against The Empire in this movie, surely a few of them would've gotten off their rear end for a Heroic Last Stand Against The Empire in the previous movie.

I guess JJ saw Dunkirk along with the rest of us in 2017 and thought, "that's a cool idea for a Star Wars"

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

dex_sda posted:

You could also have Rey actually join at the end of the movie, would have made for an equally good cliffhanger, though I think leaving it ambiguous would have been better.

gently caress, then the Holdo maneuver would double as the shock audiences feel at Rey accepting! I dunno if it’d work, but it’s worth a try. Dammit!

The more time goes by, the less I feel angry about TLJ and the more I just feel sad and disappointed.

Samara
Jan 6, 2011

quote:

Deposited $150 at Mt Gox to try this Bitcoin thing out.

Stolen 6 days later. Really enjoyed my time there.

Helpful? Please donate - being this retarded ain't cheap!

Samara Investments
Basement Suite #101
Mom's House, Hometown FL
USAAA+
People I think will have amazing careers after this trilogy :

Driver
Isaac

People who won’t

Boyega

Not sure:

Ridley

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

Brother Entropy posted:

it's newtypes making connections in gundam

i havent seen the movie yet, does it have psycho-frame x-wings

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

Pollyanna posted:

gently caress, then the Holdo maneuver would double as the shock audiences feel at Rey accepting! I dunno if it’d work, but it’s worth a try. Dammit!

And were it Leia doing that maneuver instead, it would make so much more sense for Luke to finish his arc. He sat idly by because he thought Jedi deserved to die (which was a cool idea too!), but he's gonna find the bottle after his sister sacrificed herself for the cause.

And poo poo, if we're going into crazy idea territory, in the third one, you could even make it so that Kylo does want to do this weird benevolent rule by force, and then that corrupts Rey while Kylo still has good in him. I mean you probably don't want to do this because chuds would go apeshit happy about Rey breaking bad but it's at least an interesting direction that it could go in, one of a thousand ones. It ain't loving shakespaere, but it's about the level of interesting and thoughtful the original trilogy had.

Lilikoi
Oct 11, 2012
They could have had Luke fighting Kylo in TLJ be the thing that ignited people to join the rebels after rumor/footage of it spread out throughout the galaxy and started TROS with the First Order having a hard time fighting them off. I feel like these movies were way too in love with the idea that the rebels were the very very tiny underdogs. And have Hux foment a coup.

And if they really needed some Big Bad for Rey to beat then just have Snoke be Plagueis after all. It would have been dumb, but infinitely less dumb than bringing back Palpatine.

Pollyanna posted:

After the Ben/Han scene in TROS, I’m convinced that Adam Driver is the best actor in all of Star Wars, and the franchise doesn’t deserve him.

He is and they don't. I'm bummed that we won't ever get to see him as Ben Solo because that dude seemed fun. But even if Disney wanted him to, I can't see Adam Driver ever touching SW ever again.

Lilikoi fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Dec 23, 2019

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
I don't think it's much of a stretch believe someone would want to have sex with an old ugly dude like Palpatine when he's the most powerful man in the galaxy.

That said, I'm 100% certain that some novel or comic book will clarify that no, Palpatine actually had no interest in conventional coitus as he considered it a form of weakness and actually he just wanted an heir he could mold into the perfect apprentice so he had a high ranking female Imperial officer artificially inseminated or something. And that will really be too bad.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

dex_sda posted:

So the RLM review dropped and it's probably better than the movie. It certainly sounds that way from their description lmfao.

Mike seems to have convinced himself that the Palpatine at the end of the film is a character we've never seen before, and that the Palpatine from the PT and the OT was just a clone of said character we are now just only being introduced to in TROS, lmao.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Crusader posted:

i havent seen the movie yet, does it have psycho-frame x-wings

I loving wish

someday someone working on a star wars property will rip off fin funnels and it'll blow people's minds

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

teagone posted:

Mike seems to have convinced himself that the Palpatine at the end of the film is a character we've never seen before, and that the Palpatine from the PT and the OT was just a clone of said character we are now just only being introduced to in TROS, lmao.

Yeah it owns, but it owns even more that he manages to convince the others it could be true because the movie itself doesn't bother to explain it.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

teagone posted:

that guy's on some SMG-tier brainspace

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

Brother Entropy posted:

that guy's on some SMG-tier brainspace

alcohol induced dementia

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

Samara posted:

People I think will have amazing careers after this trilogy :

Driver
Isaac

People who won’t

Boyega

Not sure:

Ridley

I think Daisy will be fine

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

dex_sda posted:

Yeah it owns, but it owns even more that he manages to convince the others it could be true because the movie itself doesn't bother to explain it.

TROS does explain how Palpatine still exists, but it uses a line appropriated from the PT to do it lol.

Lilikoi
Oct 11, 2012

teagone posted:

Guess if I spent my life being held up by a crane I'd be pissed too.

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

teagone posted:

TROS does explain how Palpatine still exists, but it uses a line appropriated from the PT to do it lol.

It's not specific what exactly he did, though, right?

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

dex_sda posted:

It's not specific what exactly he did, though, right?

No, that's the point. It's Sheev smugly saying "the darkside has powers that kept me alive :smuggo:"

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Samara posted:

People I think will have amazing careers after this trilogy:

Driver
Isaac
Ridley

Not sure:

Boyega
Johnson

People who won’t:

?

People who shouldn’t:

Abrams

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

The movie doesn't really "explain" it since there's no way to explain away falling down a shaft, being blown up, and then the station it happened on blowing the gently caress up.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

teagone posted:

No, that's the point. It's Sheev smugly saying "the darkside has powers that kept me alive :smuggo:"

He literally repeats the “unnatural things” line from RotS, christ.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

dex_sda posted:

Fix the Canto Bight section to be not-awful...

e; You could also have Rey actually join at the end of the movie, would have made for an equally good cliffhanger, though I think leaving it ambiguous would have been better.

Canto Bight - and DJ, for that matter - get better if Rey takes Kylo up on his offer. Rey isn't privvy to it, but ostensibly Canto Bight and DJ exist to show the audience that the Star War is pointless and all those guns are being pointed at the wrong people. Given what we've seen up to that point (and honestly, now that we know how Skywalker turned out), Kylo is probably right - the past should burn. Like, the meme of TLJ is that the entire movie is about rejecting the past, but it really ends by very explicitly, repeatedly repudiating that idea. Rey slaps Kylo's hand away, Luke clowns on him, and Yoda saved the jedi textbooks.

My fan fic of the entire situation is that that script existed at some point, but for obvious reasons someone higher up said "absolutely loving not."

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Groovelord Neato posted:

The movie doesn't really "explain" it since there's no way to explain away falling down a shaft, being blown up, and then the station it happened on blowing the gently caress up.

Yes, but the darkside is a pathway to abilities some consider to be unnatural.

[edit]

Pollyanna posted:

He literally repeats the “unnatural things” line from RotS, christ.

I know, lol. I said already said that.

teagone fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Dec 23, 2019

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

That was my least favourite Star Wars film. I just felt it was poorly paced and structured and the cool/woah/visually stunning moments and set pieces weren't good enough to carry it. It was convoluted but not as a result of it being complex or deep. It moved so quickly from place to place but not in a way that gave it momentum or any drive towards a climactic or emotional moments. It's easy to follow that A leads to B leads to C leads to D, but if none of the backstory or legwork is done on why these things happen the sense of purpose (and really, the stakes) go missing. This was the first Star Wars I ever really felt bored in and it's mostly because Rey going to defeat her super evil grandfather combined with a weird race-against-the-clock with The Riders of Rohan just never seem compelling or dramatic. Maybe it's yet another case of directors/producers thinking increasing the bodycount (1 planet destroyer to 1000s of them) actually increases the emotional stakes. IMO the relationship and conflict between Rey and Kylo was the most compelling part of this trilogy and moving away from that to an evil fleet destroying lighting master just made it all seem lame.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Ingmar terdman posted:

Rey's arc:

-Millennial living in shithole apartment doing subsistence level freelancing
-Receives a job offer from a boomer that gets revoked when he unexpectedly dies
-Two movies of getting paid in experience
-Finally becomes the owner of a fixer-upper house in a crummy location after all the boomers die

This is the best synopsis :allears:

Add "has to pay off Uber Grandpa Boomer's debts"

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

Boxman posted:

Canto Bight - and DJ, for that matter - get better if Rey takes Kylo up on his offer. Rey isn't privvy to it, but ostensibly Canto Bight and DJ exist to show the audience that the Star War is pointless and all those guns are being pointed at the wrong people. Given what we've seen up to that point (and honestly, now that we know how Skywalker turned out), Kylo is probably right - the past should burn. Like, the meme of TLJ is that the entire movie is about rejecting the past, but it really ends by very explicitly, repeatedly repudiating that idea. Rey slaps Kylo's hand away, Luke clowns on him, and Yoda saved the jedi textbooks.

My fan fic of the entire situation is that that script existed at some point, but for obvious reasons someone higher up said "absolutely loving not."

Yep!

I'm kinda convinced there was outside pressure that made the last 30 minutes the way they are, even though people in the production say there weren't (of course they wouldn't, they like Johnson as a scapegoat). Apparently in early edits and cuts, Canto Bight was more of a Bond-like interlude with Poe and Finn instead of Rose and Finn. That's just stuff I heard from a friend, I would have to dig for the source. The final minutes of TLJ are just so schizophrenic it can't have been in the script. Even the Jedi textbook thing reeks of "oh poo poo, we filmed this Burning The Textbooks Is Actually A Good Thing Even Yoda Agrees With Luke On This thing but actually Rey is a Jedi in the newest cut uhhhhhh show the loving books!!"

Like, Johnson isn't an amazing writer, but while Looper had problems it was coherent; and Knives Out is by all accounts very, very well written and directed.

dex_sda fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Dec 23, 2019

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Just finished watching this mess. It was obvious fan service, and ads for toys. Why did Leia, and then Ben Solo just randomly die? The deaths in this were either through Looney Toons violence, or completely random. I laughed at the attempt to combine the endings of Revenge of the Sith, and Return of the Jedi, for literally no reason. There was no reason for Rey to go to Tatooine, and then again we are given more product placement in the form of her own lightsaber that will now be sold as a toy.

The only things I liked were the new droid, and Ewoks got a very quick cameo.

Defenistrator
Mar 27, 2007
Ask me about my burritos

teagone posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YSadv4XkLc8

How anyone can read this scene as a brother/sister connection is :psyduck: to me. The intimacy isn't even subtext; poo poo is right there.

Because the overt context of the scene is Rey joining the dark side.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Brother Entropy posted:

it's newtypes making connections in gundam

loving this

Star Wars finally stole something from Gundam. If only they could have stolen more interesting ideas from it :shrug:

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

The thread is coming down unexpectedly hard on babu frik. There's no patience for him to be had here. I don't like it but I accept it

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Defenistrator posted:

Because the overt context of the scene is Rey joining the dark side.

Jedi are known to be celibate. The Dark Side fucks.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

General Dog posted:

I don't think it's much of a stretch believe someone would want to have sex with an old ugly dude like Palpatine when he's the most powerful man in the galaxy.

I don't like to be indelicate, but it is worth mentioning that Palpatine siring children doesn't require anyone to want to have sex with him...

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

No Mods No Masters posted:

The thread is coming down unexpectedly hard on babu frik. There's no patience for him to be had here. I don't like it but I accept it

Babu is the only good part of the movie.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

You could also argue Palpatine has the power to change his appearance like Zeus to seduce women. They both can conjure lightning, so it's not that much of stretch. Also, again, unnatural abilities, etc.

Lilikoi
Oct 11, 2012

I said come in! posted:

Just finished watching this mess. It was obvious fan service, and ads for toys. Why did Leia, and then Ben Solo just randomly die?

I'm still wondering if they decided Ben Solo was going to die at the last minute because so much about that was weird. So the Lupita alien says Leia has to sacrifice all to save her son, but then all she does is die so he gets distracted and gets mortally wounded. Even if she knew Rey was going to heal him, which brought him back to the light, I thought it was weird that her body only disappeared after his body does and she, Luke or Anakin don't talk to him once. I was sure she'd become one with the force so he didn't have to.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

teagone posted:

So exactly what happened to Master Asia in G Gundam.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

TheKingofSprings posted:

So exactly what happened to Master Asia in G Gundam.

it's gundam all the way down