Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

no i know its still really popular and thats why they would want it on stadia as well but the question im searching my heart to answer is why

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

Stux posted:

no i know its still really popular and thats why they would want it on stadia as well but the question im searching my heart to answer is why

It makes some sense to want it. It means you don't need to keep your PS4 hooked up just to play GTA5. The problem is that for Stadia, it wouldn't be enough to get people to sign up since the market who just wants GTA5 probably already has it and doesn't want to figure Stadia out.

Tetrabor
Oct 14, 2018

Eight points of contact at all times!

Tabletops posted:

Isn't the latency add only like 40-70 Ms or something? That's not terrible tbh. Definitely not optimal.

Latency has always been an issue for competitive games and Stadia adding additional latency only makes it that much worse.

Plus, you're going to have a smaller Stadia playerbase which means you'll have to connect even further to whatever hub is hosting the server between everyone.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?

quote:

The Stadia Challenge (self.Stadia)
submitted 1 month ago * by Yogarine

The best kind of promotion campaign Stadia could do is a Pepsi Challenge-like setup where someone is handed a controller and is then asked to decide what console platform he is playing on, only to reveal he is playing on Stadia.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

quote:

Luddites. (self.Stadia)
submitted 4 days ago by Coldngrey

It would be funny if it wasn't so drat annoying.

Today was a good day on Stadia. Game drops. Discounts. Actual progress. All things we've been asking for.

Yet the 'yeah but...!!' dopiness continues. After looking at twitter, and see the same talking points parroted both here and there, it's become obvious to me that at least 50% of the people wringing their hands don't even have access to Stadia. Hell, some of these kids are describing Stadia as 'google's console'. If that's what you think Stadia is, it's time to take a breather until basic tier comes out, and you actually play a game on the tech. Granted most of that level of goofiness is on twitter not here, but this sub is certainly not immune to it, or suffers from its own level of stupidity.

Maybe it's the millennial in me talking, but these newb gamers in their teens and early 20's are so loving scared of anything remotely different. They've become way too reliant on consoles, which are slowly but surely going the way of the cassette deck.

"Back in my day' gaming culture was about being on the cutting edge, not jacking off over their base level Sega Master System.

It's gotten silly.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

"Yes sir, all evening you've been gaming on freeze dried Stadia crystals."

"No ma'am, you can't move your save over. And yes, you were playing against a pool of 800 very casual gamers, beachside. But the whole kitchen was applauding your KDR."

...!
Oct 5, 2003

quote:

Chupacabreddit 7 points 6 days ago

I had some friends over last night, they’ve played Red Dead and/or FFXV to almost 100% completion on PS4 Pro and had never seen Stadia before. I booted it up (WiFi 75/10, CCU) and just let everyone pass the controller around for a good hour or so. We had 1 hung session and some weird water-loading-popping glitch in RDR2 but the general consensus was “it looks better than my console.”

Of course it was not side by side, but nobody could get any input lag or major graphical issues. They all walked away saying, “if I had to buy a new console/PC or choose this I’ll probably go with Stadia.” In the moment, they couldn’t tell any difference between PS4 Pro or Stadia.

And then everyone stood up and clapped.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

quote:

Don't worry about it. XBox won't let you take your games on any screen, wherever you want. On top of that, it won't be able to upgrade, not the way Stadia can. People like to miss the forest for the trees - can you imagine not just teraflops of power, but real, substantial change? What if the next console generation comes out with super beefy hardware, and then all of a sudden Stadia announces it can just ray trace everything?

uvar
Jul 25, 2011

Avoid breathing
radioactive dust.
College Slice
https://twitter.com/dapilcher/status/1208871995531759616

https://twitter.com/GalenRyder/status/1208894764893892608

https://twitter.com/tha_rami/status/1208251697077858304

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

...! posted:

And then everyone stood up and clapped.

but rdr2 is the same as ps4 pro and the stadia ffxv port is like, base ps4 level. at least make the lie make sense

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Cemetry Gator posted:

It makes some sense to want it. It means you don't need to keep your PS4 hooked up just to play GTA5.

But...you already need a Chromecast Ultra hooked up, so it changes nothing.

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime

Tetrabor posted:

Latency has always been an issue for competitive games and Stadia adding additional latency only makes it that much worse.

Plus, you're going to have a smaller Stadia playerbase which means you'll have to connect even further to whatever hub is hosting the server between everyone.

No doubt. Just not a game breaker to me. It wasn't till the last like 10 years that I was able to get servers with sub 20ms ping. Only cause I moved to the Seattle area.

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

quote:

"They lied about the quality" - Who give's a f@#k?

:allears:

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe

Having this dork play games in the corner by himself probably is quality time for everyone else. Sadly for them he’s no doubt incessantly evangelizing it the entire time. “Totally flawless, really”

FeculentWizardTits
Aug 31, 2001

...! posted:

Maybe it's the millennial in me talking, but these newb gamers in their teens and early 20's are so loving scared of anything remotely different. 

Yes, the youth, widely known for their vehement opposition to new things.

cirus
Apr 5, 2011

It's a super dick move to visit relatives and proceed to use hundreds of gigabytes of bandwidth. You don't know what kind of plan they have or if their ISP throttles. I would be furious if I got slapped with an overage charge from some idiot streaming games.

neonchameleon
Nov 14, 2012

Gobbeldygook posted:

There are also currently 80k people watching GTA5 on Twitch.

There's a very real target market for casual gamers who just wants to buy a few AAA games per year and is fine with it being 1080p, but I dunno if that's enough to justify Google keeping Stadia aflout.

Especially given that Microsoft seems to be locking that market down hard right now with XBox Gold (or whatever it's called).

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

neonchameleon posted:

Especially given that Microsoft seems to be locking that market down hard right now with XBox Gold (or whatever it's called).

i dont think game pass sub numbers come close to outweighing ps4 platform sales. feel like the second best selling home console ever has that market cornered pretty well.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

univbee posted:

But...you already need a Chromecast Ultra hooked up, so it changes nothing.

But if you're already using Stadia, it makes sense.

At least, it makes more sense than thinking that offloading your real time processing to a third party is a reasonable and forward looking solution that does not come with numerous inherent downsides.

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe

Gobbeldygook posted:

There are also currently 80k people watching GTA5 on Twitch.

There's a very real target market for casual gamers who just wants to buy a few AAA games per year and is fine with it being 1080p, but I dunno if that's enough to justify Google keeping Stadia aflout.

But... why not just buy a PS4 on sale and save $10/month on Stadia and the $20+/month on the internet plan you'd need.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

...! posted:

Fed up of Stadia haters! (self.Stadia)
submitted 3 hours ago * by mikebailey_uk

"There isn't good game selection" - Fair.....but how many games can you play at once, they're releasing more and I can wait.

Google Stadia: "There isn't good game selection"? How many games can you play at once?

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

cirus posted:

It's a super dick move to visit relatives and proceed to use hundreds of gigabytes of bandwidth. You don't know what kind of plan they have or if their ISP throttles. I would be furious if I got slapped with an overage charge from some idiot streaming games.

Well, mom, I'm sorry about that $300 overage fee, but look on the bright side - I got to spend two thirds of my time visiting you sitting in the corner playing Destiny 2 and my other two Stadia games on my laptop like a loving weirdo instead of actually interacting with the family beyond telling them to "check out the future of gaming" every so often.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

quote:

You cannot have change without conflict. The larger the change you ask for, the larger the conflict. The "human" aspect of the conflict is whether it is constructive or destructive. I'm 100% in agreement with you that - setting aside the actual current state of Stadia's launch and/or performance - the most irrational people shouting "Stadia is dead out of the gate" are people most afraid it will succeed.

Just look at the history of video games - early on, it was all computers, a million brands, by the time the dust settled after the "video game crash" of the 1980's we had a couple recognizable brands - Atari, Nintendo. Any time a new player tried to muscle into the space, it was a huge upset - Super Nintendo vs Sega Genesis. Nintendo 64 vs PlayStation. But those upsets were still tempered because it's healthy to have SOME competition. The backlash against Microsoft introducing XBox was some of the worst I can remember, very reminiscent now as cloud gaming becomes prevalent. Arguably because it "disrupted the balance" of existing competitors.

From 2017 to present, we've seen a slow build-up to a drastic conflict in how video games are delivered. Nintendo Switch comes out as a major catalyst. VR becomes more mainstream. PlayStation 4 and XBox One successors are confirmed. Independent companies begin to threaten Steam's monopoly as a PC games launcher - at least, more than we've ever seen up to this point. Cloud gaming gets a soft, quiet rollout, and now Stadia is the poster child.

A lot of people dismiss the statement that "Stadia works" by asking, "okay, but who is Stadia for?" It's implied by the question that the real sentiment is, "Who is Stadia for, because it's not for me!" Why isn't it for them? Because they're already deeply rooted into some system. PlayStation or XBox exclusive titles. Thousands of dollars in a PC. You can't change that overnight. But when it comes time to retire that PS4, when your GPU dies or when your circumstances change and demand that you consider all of your options, Stadia will be among them. Holiday 2020 and the "next gen" launch is going to really show how people feel!

I kind of rambled, sorry not sorry, thank you for a thought provoking post! c: Personally, my biggest fear would be investing into Stadia only to lose it all, and while I don't think that would happen, I think because it's "unknown" that just adds another layer of fear for people.

Tempura Wizard
Sep 15, 2006

spending all
spending
spending all my time

...! posted:

How worried should Nintendo be?
Love to stream RDR2 on the train (where the signal is so bad I can barely load a crossword puzzle) where I used to play Switch. Nintendo iz finished~

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
You could just replace Stadia in these posts for Bitcoin and it wouldn’t seem out of place

...!
Oct 5, 2003

leftist heap posted:

You could just replace Stadia in these posts for Bitcoin and it wouldn’t seem out of place

The similar mentalities are why I'm fascinated with both bitcoiners and hardcore Stadians. The entire way they think is incredible to me. You can take nearly anything a bitcoiner says, replace every instance of "bitcoin" with "Stadia", and it'll still have the same quasi-religious ring to it. And vice versa.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

Well, I assume this is a Stadia game since you handed me a Stadia controller.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope
Also I bought a Chromecast about a week ago and set it up at home, to share the screen on an oculus quest. It worked fine at home, but when I connected it to my friend's tv, I couldn't figure out how to connect to it without resetting the chromecast and setting it up again with the phone app.

Am I missing something? Because if that Chromecast worked as it should, travelling with a Stadia controller and a Chromecast (for that sweet hotel tv gaming) would be pretty drat annoying

neonchameleon
Nov 14, 2012

Stux posted:

i dont think game pass sub numbers come close to outweighing ps4 platform sales. feel like the second best selling home console ever has that market cornered pretty well.

I didn't mean the console market. The XBox One has been overtaken by the Switch in two and a half years and is way behind the PS4. I meant the "Casual only a few AAA games per year and no real care about graphics" market. It's too late to turn round this console generation but is set up for the next.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

neonchameleon posted:

I didn't mean the console market. The XBox One has been overtaken by the Switch in two and a half years and is way behind the PS4. I meant the "Casual only a few AAA games per year and no real care about graphics" market. It's too late to turn round this console generation but is set up for the next.

right and that market is entirely wrapped up by the base ps4 model. the game pass needs either an xbox one or a pc powerful enough to run AAA games so its not really targetting that market, and next gen is backwards compatible across the board so unless sony do another ps3 its unlikely things are going to change

...!
Oct 5, 2003

quote:

Play it Forward: Community Event - “Story Mode” Creative writers of Reddit, share a Stadia short story about this holiday season. See the post body for a formal writing prompt and more details. (self.Stadia)
submitted an hour ago by StadiaMod1[M] - announcement

FINAL ROUND!

We know the holidays are a time of giving (Founders, don’t forget to send your Buddy Pass!), so give your creative writing muscles some love. Getting some extra playtime in unexpected places (we see you, brand-new dad)? Gone are the days of lugging around a heavy console and a nest of wires and cables thanks to Stadia -- just pack a controller and go!

How has Stadia changed the way you game this holiday season? Fiction or nonfiction and supplemental illustrations/pictures are always welcome. The comments section will remain in contest mode until Thursday 12/26 at 10AM PST, and we’ll select the third and final user for “The Board of the Victorious” on Friday 12/27 at 10AM PST. Gildings and Platinum for our favorites, and the “Sweet Victory” award for the winner! Happy holidays, everyone!

Here’s a formal writing prompt (shoutout r/writingprompts):

[WP] It’s mid-December 2019. You’re making plans for the holidays. Travel and some time away from your gaming battlestation is imminent. But wait… Stadia!

By participating in this event, you’re agreeing to potentially have your username displayed on the Stadia ‘Board of the Victorious’, that will live on the right rail of the r/Stadia subreddit. Please note the contest terms and conditions here.

Tempura Wizard
Sep 15, 2006

spending all
spending
spending all my time
So every post in the Stadia subreddit is basically automatically qualified, right? Especially in the fiction category.

BONESAWWWWWW
Dec 23, 2009

But wait... Stadia!

FeculentWizardTits
Aug 31, 2001

You’re in a desert walking along in the sand when all of a sudden you look down, and you see a tortoise, crawling toward you. You reach down, you flip the tortoise over on its back. The tortoise lays on its back, its belly baking in the hot sun, beating its legs trying to turn itself over, but it can’t, not without your help. But wait...Stadia!

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

OK im on vacation from work and my wife is reading on the couch so I figured lets give Stadia a whirl. I specifically didn't go up to the wired gaming PC because that's pointless I can just play Tomb Raider on my gaming PC. (edit: Do want to clarify, I do not have a particular hankering to play Tomb Raider right now either, but it's available)

I set up stadia with my phone, it was pretty easy once i had it. Claimed the free games and then launched Stadia.com in chrome. Not going to lie I was pretty impressed by the initial experience. It was very painless, it was very quick. It recognized my PS4 controlled plugged in via Microusb on my Macbook pro. I'm wireless, but about 10 feet from the router on a good 300mbps connection.

I didn't notice game breaking input lag. It was mushy but acceptable, I haven't played this game on a console/TV, nor did I get to any major platforming yet. I played the intro level and when it played it played really well - it was not really noticeably different than playing locally, and it was cool to be playing on my 15" 2015 macbook pro. It's a nice screen, good setup for on the lap gaming.

BUT. BUT. Like 5-6 times in just the into level the game came to a screeching halt and everything became brutally pixelated and robotic sounding for a few full seconds. This happened once during the "baby's first QTE" part of the game so I failed it and died. A few other times during some important dialogue or explanation/camera cut to reveal something.

I obviously use this computer all the time, it doesn't have problems dropping connections for other sustained transfers. I'll do a little local troubleshooting and will try on other machines/connections in my house, but drat. If I have to be wired i'm pretty much never going to use it.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

What is worse. Someone spending all morning with a leaf blower or someone "raiding" all morning with laptop speakers cranked up to max, desperate that you'll look at them and start making inquires?

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
Imagine the horror when you innocently ask your neighbor what he's up to and then he starts in about th Stadia. Something you have no idea about and he won't stop and you just don't care.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope

Wheany posted:

Am I missing something? Because if that Chromecast worked as it should, travelling with a Stadia controller and a Chromecast (for that sweet hotel tv gaming) would be pretty drat annoying

I was not missing anything. Chromecast can indeed only remember one wifi network at a time and changing it requires resetting the device and going through the setup procedure again.

So I guess that's my misunderstood Stadia feature then.

uvar
Jul 25, 2011

Avoid breathing
radioactive dust.
College Slice
Stadia was released November 19, too late in the month for anyone to stream a crazy amount. But December?

https://twitter.com/nadascript/status/1207880693352669184

Also what the gently caress, averaging nearly 50% of your life on Stadia?
https://twitter.com/StadiaStreamer/status/1207321526913191937

https://twitter.com/USBCGuy/status/1208972037441458177

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

And so it begins.

Are people going to spin it as 'well december is a holiday month so people are playing more than usual'

And I do want to set the record straight. Xfinity only gives you those two months of going over data for free once for your entire account. Not twice a year or anything like that.