Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

tangy yet delightful posted:

Just start marking them as spam in Gmail. They will get auto trashed soon enough.

Yeah, I just find the whole drat thing funny. Ok Lampert, keep clutching on a little bit more...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
Also delete old accounts.

Your spam goes way down when you email certain companies directly to delete your information.

iForge
Oct 28, 2010

Apple's new "iBlacksmith Suite: Professional Edition" features the iForge, iAnvil, and the iHammer.

BraveUlysses posted:

are you still pulling staples? i had a lot better luck (and my hands liked it much better) when i switched from pliers to an actual staple remover tool (Arrow brand from HD)

These pliers are hands down the best for pulling staples/nails when doing flooring and carpet work. You grip it with the nipper end and roll the tool along the tapered bit like a claw hammer.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

I bought these years ago because I was actually working on fencing and a chicken coop on our little 1.5 acres setup. Now I'm all suburban HOA lameass but I've kept these because they are a really useful tool.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

I bought these years ago because I was actually working on fencing and a chicken coop on our little 1.5 acres setup. Now I'm all suburban HOA lameass but I've kept these because they are a really useful tool.

?? Are you implying that you would get rid of tools?

Also I need more pliers. But now I refuse to buy bad ones so they are few and far between.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

StormDrain posted:

?? Are you implying that you would get rid of tools?

Also I need more pliers. But now I refuse to buy bad ones so they are few and far between.

Please no one hurt me but I did get rid of my electric corded chainsaw right before we moved because the trees here are like 2-3" in diameter so my bowsaw would be sufficient.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Please no one hurt me but I did get rid of my electric corded chainsaw right before we moved because the trees here are like 2-3" in diameter so my bowsaw would be sufficient.

Sounds like something a Titans fan would do...

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

You'll be singing a different tune in 10 to 20 years :colbert:

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
The four Wera Joker wrenches are in and they are very nice looking. Like really nice. Like I wouldn't doubt someone when they told me the price. It's unfair that they came in right when I'm about to travel for Christmas. I need to turn them a bit and see how the work on my rusty iron. Also good job on them for the sizes in the set, without a doubt my top 4.

I didn't realize they came in a roll which is fantastic, and it has a velcro side and came with a velcro sticker so you can hang it somewhere. I don't have a place for it but great concept.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
My 1/2" impact showed up, it's very cool. Can't wait to test it out.

trufflefoo
Oct 29, 2006
Not sure where to ask this, but figured this thread might have advice.
I’m building a cargo bike atm, and am hopefully building more bicycles in future.

I’m looking for a cheap way to spray paint them. Advice is limited on how to do this specifically for bicycles, but I guess it’s car-adjacent enough to apply to both.

I have no kit for this whatsoever, so I’m looking for advice on a compressor and (HVLP?) spraygun combo. I do not have large amounts of room and do not intend to run air tools beyond the spray gun. I’m also not hugely keen on the idea of disposable rattle cans, hence looking at spraygun options.
I also need advice on simple paint, etc.
Would a pancake compressor and something from Machine Mart do?
I’m in the UK, which appears to change a lot of the default options.

Any advice gratefully received.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
I did a ton of research but didn't actually find the time to put it to actual use. If you get a HVLP you'll need a pretty big compressor. You could, however, get a LVLP gun for use with a smaller compressor. Being that bicycle frames are much smaller and need a lot less time to paint, and LVLP should in theory be well enough for it. Then there are "MV"LPs as well. I'd look into those options as well.
The biggest downside that I found with LVLP guns is that they might not be able to put the paint down fast enough for spraying something like a car.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
Any chance you could find a reliable paint/powder coating shop to do them for you? Bicycle frames, even cargo bike ones, are reasonably easy to transport, perhaps it would be the sensible solution? Unless, of course, you're committed to DIY, which is fine too.

trufflefoo
Oct 29, 2006

MrOnBicycle posted:

I did a ton of research but didn't actually find the time to put it to actual use. If you get a HVLP you'll need a pretty big compressor. You could, however, get a LVLP gun for use with a smaller compressor. Being that bicycle frames are much smaller and need a lot less time to paint, and LVLP should in theory be well enough for it. Then there are "MV"LPs as well. I'd look into those options as well.
The biggest downside that I found with LVLP guns is that they might not be able to put the paint down fast enough for spraying something like a car.

Aha, that makes a lot of sense. I'll have a look at those options, if nothing else it's another term to google for 'LVLP tutorial' in youtube.

bolind posted:

Any chance you could find a reliable paint/powder coating shop to do them for you? Bicycle frames, even cargo bike ones, are reasonably easy to transport, perhaps it would be the sensible solution? Unless, of course, you're committed to DIY, which is fine too.

There's a great local professional framebuilder that do really good job on powdercoating that I've used before. The problem with powdercoating is it's essentially single colour only (barring some really fancy options). I'd quite like to learn to do some basic patterns/fades myself. The learning of new skills is of more interest to me than the final product, if I'm honest. And it's an excuse for new tools.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

trufflefoo posted:

And it's an excuse for new tools.

Truly the noblest of causes.

Big Taint
Oct 19, 2003

Hey guys, I have a new project that requires me to make some metal patches.

I’m thinking to form them I’m going to want a shear, a brake, and a shrinker/stretcher set. Any reason to spend more than Harbor Freight money on these things? Anything I’m not thinking of that’s going to make things easier?

Big Taint fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Dec 29, 2019

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Hey Ryobi 18v owners, do any of you have the RC car?
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07PDJ6PJF/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_3rrcEbPABGX9R

Is it crap?

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
150 feet of range and 20 miles per hour is pretty pathetic by current standards. Back when I was first into RC cars, in 2002, the numbers were still better. Id treat it as nothing more than a very expensive novelty.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
Also posted this in the tools thread in DIY in case you're seeing this twice.

Got myself a Milwaukee m18 sawzall a few weeks ago and want to pick up some blades for it. I expect to be using it to cut steel (non-stainless) wood; Dimensional lumber/plywood, and probably a bit of plastic here and there; SCH40 pvc.

What are some good blade brands to look for? I know about different tooth size for different materials and whatnot, but what about brands?
Like is there a brand known for making really good blades for wood, but the stuff they make for cutting metal sucks for example?

Am I fine with just getting blades from (name brand X)?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

um excuse me posted:

150 feet of range and 20 miles per hour is pretty pathetic by current standards. Back when I was first into RC cars, in 2002, the numbers were still better. Id treat it as nothing more than a very expensive novelty.

Hmmm. Okay. I think my dad may have bought it for me. Guess we'll find out on Saturday.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
A gift is probably the best case scenario. I'd play with it if it were free, but I'd never pay that much for it.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
He's in Arizona and he said he felt bad about not seeing us for Christmas.

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]

Alarbus posted:

QuarkMartial posted:

DeWalt DC820B Cordless Impact
What batteries do I need? I keep finding NiCad, which I thought this used LiOns (and that NiCads were shite and replaced by the better LiOns).
https://www.amazon.com/DEWALT-DCA2203C-20-Volt-Battery-Adapter-x/dp/B016K1UEPS

It's an 18v tool, but for Dewalt it was mostly marketing and minor hardware changes to play in the 20v "peak voltages" market. I have that impact, it's nice, but I didn't end up using it to remove lug bolts, I bought the native 20v massive impact wrench instead. The 820b is great for assembling and disassembling plenty of things.

I have the converter kit too, just don't leave the batteries in the adapter, they'll slowly drain. Works fine though.

Guess what I got for Christmas this year! I can finally use the impact I got last year :v:

(For the majority of 2019, I was too poor to buy the battery kit. When I had the money, I had other things I needed to buy.)

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

QuarkMartial posted:

Guess what I got for Christmas this year! I can finally use the impact I got last year :v:

(For the majority of 2019, I was too poor to buy the battery kit. When I had the money, I had other things I needed to buy.)

Congrats. My Milwaukee has been a game changer. I’d been wrenching for almost 15 years before getting one, but it was worth the wait.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

wesleywillis posted:

Also posted this in the tools thread in DIY in case you're seeing this twice.

Got myself a Milwaukee m18 sawzall a few weeks ago and want to pick up some blades for it. I expect to be using it to cut steel (non-stainless) wood; Dimensional lumber/plywood, and probably a bit of plastic here and there; SCH40 pvc.

What are some good blade brands to look for? I know about different tooth size for different materials and whatnot, but what about brands?
Like is there a brand known for making really good blades for wood, but the stuff they make for cutting metal sucks for example?

Am I fine with just getting blades from (name brand X)?

you'll probably do fine with most brands available at HD or lowes, like lenox, milwaukee or dewalt

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Any opinions on what HF floor jack is best?

My ~10yo NAPA 3.5T suddenly leaked out all of its juice, which is kinda scary cause we just used it to do some pretty heavy lifting.

HF has a 25% coupon for the 31st-1st so I figured it was a good time to just get a replacement.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib
The Daytona gets great reviews.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

sharkytm posted:

The Daytona gets great reviews.

They have a bunch of different Daytona jacks now, though I suspect they're all good. The original yellow one lifts higher than just about any other floor jack.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Check fine print on the coupon, Daytona might be excluded.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Colostomy Bag posted:

Check fine print on the coupon, Daytona might be excluded.

Oh, yeah, it definitely is from any of the 20-25% coupons. HFQPDB has coupons for the regular yellow and the new low profile Daytonas, though:

https://www.hfqpdb.com/best_coupon/3+TON+DAYTONA+PROFESSIONAL+STEEL+FLOOR+JACK+-+SUPER+DUTY

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

The yellow daytona is really nice, my dad was a bit jealous of mine.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
Last time I was at costco, they appeared to have the big Arcan back in stock; haven't seen that in a few years. I have an older one of those and quite like it.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Raluek posted:

Last time I was at costco, they appeared to have the big Arcan back in stock; haven't seen that in a few years. I have an older one of those and quite like it.

My Costco was down to the last few units when I was there. I do love my all steel Arcan floor jack that I got but it is so heavy. I forgot since it's normally just dragged around, it took all I had to lift it off the ground last weekend. It must be 120lbs, plus it's all the way down on the ground.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

StormDrain posted:

My Costco was down to the last few units when I was there. I do love my all steel Arcan floor jack that I got but it is so heavy. I forgot since it's normally just dragged around, it took all I had to lift it off the ground last weekend. It must be 120lbs, plus it's all the way down on the ground.

Yeah they're heavy, but that's a benefit for stability when you're using it as intended. Not very pleasant to haul it into a trunk when needed, though.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010
I need to buy a disc brake caliper service kit for those godforsaken twist in rear calipers. I've worked on two cars now that the little cube doesn't work on and I'm done loving around with needlenose pliers. The Advance Auto Kit #48 hasn't let me down yet but they also want like $80 on Amazon for it and I already have all the bits and I am NOT going to be doing anything else.

This thing ought to serve me well in that capacity, right?

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Beach Bum posted:

This thing ought to serve me well in that capacity, right?

Yep.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Friends don't let others use pliers or the cube for rear parking brakes.

Kit should suffice for occasional duty.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
I've nevr had trouble with the cube.
Get this:https://www.acklandsgrainger.com/en/product/p/BLDDW2542IR

Put a whatever the gently caress size drive extension of sufficient length.

Chuck that poo poo up in a drill and spin your piston back at low speed, low clutch setting. Put a dab of brake lube on the caliper dust boot to make it so the boot doesn't get twisted.

gently caress doing that poo poo by hand when it can be done by power tool.

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

Anyone recommend a decent respirator setup that's not too pricy? I guess mostly for sanding/polishing metal, and maybe some woodwork. I've used some 3m disposable ones but I feel like fine dust still creeps in around the edges or something, so I'm wondering if I should switch to one those "proper" looking ones with the two little canisters on the sides.

I don't know much about this stuff, but are there ones that are good for both fine particulates and VOCs, do they have versions that take different swappable filter elements depending on application? Are ones for VOCs basically just activated carbon? How often do the filters generally have to be replaced?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
imo it's absolutely worth it to get a respirator and use the cartridges. fitment on face is better and comfortable

I noticed a huge difference when I used a organic vapor cartridge for doing spray painting with primer.