Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

Oh, does the oil just act as a preservative?

Olive oil helps keep it from drying out. You'd wipe it just on any exposed meat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Okay! Thanks for the replies. It seems like a lot of meat to take, but I am now prepared.

uli2000
Feb 23, 2015

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

Oh, does the oil just act as a preservative?

Yeah, a bit of a protective layer to keep it from oxidizing from what I gather. I guess you can also put some of the old rind/fat you cut off back on it but IDK how I'd get it to stay on without wrapping it in saran wrap or something.

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

Okay! Thanks for the replies. It seems like a lot of meat to take, but I am now prepared.

I'm thinking it is going to take me 5 months to finish it.

seance snacks
Mar 30, 2007

Like a true bachelor, I've put off all Christmas shopping and I plan to go to Costco first thing tomorrow morning.

Any recommendations, kids or adults, for cool gift ideas, in the $20-$100 range?

I always get so overwhelmed in the 'Co... I'm hoping to find some stuff to look out for based off recent positive purchases.

tia

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug

Noslo posted:

Like a true bachelor, I've put off all Christmas shopping and I plan to go to Costco first thing tomorrow morning.

Any recommendations, kids or adults, for cool gift ideas, in the $20-$100 range?

I always get so overwhelmed in the 'Co... I'm hoping to find some stuff to look out for based off recent positive purchases.

tia

Kids love church memberships.

fordham
Oct 5, 2002

Your argument is invalid.
Exciting Lemon

Noslo posted:

tia

Sherpas, flashlights, Jamon's, Hot Dogs + soda (with refill).

Don't miss the few aisles around the tools section, usually in the back right.

grillster
Dec 25, 2004

:chaostrump:
There is/was a big set of legos for a while. Saw it at the front then it went over to by the wine.

It's gonna be a zoo tomorrow!

Irradiation
Sep 14, 2005

I understand your frustration.
Alcohol

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

yeah buy 'em a case of MD 20/20. Cost effective and they'll love it.

Fashionably Great
Jul 10, 2008
My Costco is discounting most of their gift items so while things may be somewhat blown out, what is left is cheap(er) so you may get an unintentional deal.

Everyone's getting a new screwdriver set along with socks, hot cocoa and cookie skillet kits from me. Boring as hell but practical. Almost everything is from Costco, purchased at a nice discount. PBUC.

Rodney The Yam II
Mar 3, 2007

I went to check in on the hams today

The Jamons don't deserve this! The horror

13Pandora13
Nov 5, 2008

I've got tiiits that swingle dangle dingle

Rodney The Yam II posted:

what the gently caress kind of animals attend/service your church? This is despicable.

large hands
Jan 24, 2006
Picked up this bad boy today for Christmas. It's gonna chill out for a couple days

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
BEEFY. Nice work. Family picked up the seasoned rib roast today for Christmas dinner.

This are gonna get real beefy around these parts soon.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Rodney The Yam II posted:

Looks like the mites did a number on those ham boxes

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Decided to try the boneless lamb leg for xmas this year. Gonna sous vide it so I can oven cook the sides (Brussels sprouts and potatoes - not cooked together). Pretty excited but I was perhaps more excited to be at Costco without a cart on such a packed day. Parked on the side of the building and was in/out in 10 minutes.

seance snacks
Mar 30, 2007

tangy yet delightful posted:

Decided to try the boneless lamb leg for xmas this year.

I picked one of these up on a trip and prepared it same way.

it was loving divine

grillster
Dec 25, 2004

Rolled into optical one day at like 7:00 pm, out of there in 15 minutes with an eyeglasses order put in (had an existing valid prescription in the system.) Got a call five days later to pick them up; in and out in fifteen minutes. Picked the high quality glass option with Ray Ban frames, paid $170 out the door. Quality is great for the price.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

The hams have started going on clearance at some Costco stores.

AF
Oct 8, 2007
hi

FCKGW posted:

:eyepop:

gettin' real tempted over here

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Amazed by the bravery of anyone who goes to Costco a week on either side of xmas. Godspeed brave warriors.

13Pandora13
Nov 5, 2008

I've got tiiits that swingle dangle dingle

priznat posted:

Amazed by the bravery of anyone who goes to Costco a week on either side of xmas. Godspeed brave warriors.

When I went Sunday mid-day (parents were in town and offered to take me shopping, they aren't church members and were stunned by $13 year supply of Kirkland Zyrtech), it was not bad at all. Busy, but they had nearly every register open, people running boxes, etc. to keep it moving. Truly a blessed organization, PBUC.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Costco parking lots scare me the most, at least here. Probably fistfights over spots!

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

priznat posted:

Costco parking lots scare me the most, at least here. Probably fistfights over spots!

Old people at the gas pumps for me. One time I saw two old men bump into eachothers cars. Neither noticed and drove off.

Bigchops
Mar 13, 2005
Biggus Choppus
Someone slashed a guy's tires yesterday in the lot.

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

I’ve been parking at the farthest possible spots, works out for me since I don’t have to get around cars waiting for spots.

grillster
Dec 25, 2004

I don't want to come off as a complainer but there seems to be a condition I've experienced in the gas line that adds time to my day.

Two pumps, doesn't matter what side the car the filler is on. Person in front finishes and leaves. Next in line just waits there. I always act right away and go around unless it's clear the person behind them is finished.

Watched people waste five minutes of other people's time by not making any moves on an open pump.

It's great that their premium is 30 cents cheaper than anywhere else, wallet is happy with church gas.

After filling up the other day-- that's the day I couldn't find a single open spot and nope'd out.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

grillster posted:

I don't want to come off as a complainer but there seems to be a condition I've experienced in the gas line that adds time to my day.

Two pumps, doesn't matter what side the car the filler is on. Person in front finishes and leaves. Next in line just waits there. I always act right away and go around unless it's clear the person behind them is finished.

Watched people waste five minutes of other people's time by not making any moves on an open pump.

It's great that their premium is 30 cents cheaper than anywhere else, wallet is happy with church gas.

Yeah, thats dumb. I sometimes can't see if there is a pump that opens up at the Costcos that have the three pump setup though

grillster
Dec 25, 2004

I watch the hoses for cues

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

Electric is the way, man. I wonder how long it’ll take until Costco starts installing DC fast chargers on site.

grillster
Dec 25, 2004

That's the truth--they could rope it into the benefits package. It's only a matter of time.

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

Nfcknblvbl posted:

Electric is the way, man. I wonder how long it’ll take until Costco starts installing DC fast chargers on site.

$1.50 hot dog and soda with TWO free refills

:vince:

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug

FCKGW posted:

I should have waited.

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.

priznat posted:

I went at lunch today. Total time in and out was 8 minutes from getting out of my car to getting back in. That also included having to go to "cage" to get an item (tablet) that I bought.

Of course I only got 2 things and I knew pretty much where both were though one was moved and I had to look for it a bit.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Nfcknblvbl posted:

I've heard they have them in Iceland, but it's also one of the places with the highest per-capita electric vehicles.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

Yeah, thats dumb. I sometimes can't see if there is a pump that opens up at the Costcos that have the three pump setup though

yeah depending on your car and the angle you pulled in and size of the other cars infront (often a large SUV), it can be hard to tell. you can usually kind of look at the hoses at least.

Horse Clocks
Dec 14, 2004

Got a 2.7kg topside for 4 people tomorrow. regretting not getting a rib roast. Live and learn.

tangy yet delightful posted:

Decided to try the boneless lamb leg for xmas this year. Gonna sous vide it so I can oven cook the sides (Brussels sprouts and potatoes - not cooked together). Pretty excited but I was perhaps more excited to be at Costco without a cart on such a packed day. Parked on the side of the building and was in/out in 10 minutes.
Good luck, hopefully your cut is fresh.

In my experience, Lamb does not vizzle well. Amps up the funk factor by 100.

Nfcknblvbl posted:

Wembley (UK) has a load. Never seen them used.

Horse Clocks fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Dec 24, 2019

seance snacks
Mar 30, 2007

FCKGW posted:

Whereabouts are y'all seeing these ham legs? I couldn't find one today(VA), and I would have lost my poo poo if it was 50% off like that.

Xmas Eve Trip Report

- Not particularly packed, about as much as any typical weekend.

- Started with a 'dog for breakfast to avoid shopping hungry. Onions were empty, and then I broke the goddamned handle off on accident... I ate in shameful silence.

- Got some lamb to roast, as well as Kirkland brand Tzatziki. Will be doing gyros with friends in the coming days. (Also got lamb ribs. That is for me and me alone.)

- Bottles of wine/champagne/craft beers for family that does drink, non-drinkers are getting sherpas, bathrobes or flashlights.

- Got myself a new memory foam bathroom mat. This is my 2nd one. The first one turned into a lumpy PoS the first time it ran through the washing machine. But the month or two of comfort you get from it is worth the price.

- Pleased with the amount of gender neutral/educational kids' things. (Yes, I am that uncle who buys all the kiddos natgeo subscriptions.)

- On my way out, tried a chicken bake from the cafeteria. Realized I had tossed my fountain drink from the beginning, denying myself the free refill I am owed. I will take my drink shopping with me next time.

P B U C

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Horse Clocks posted:

Got a 2.7kg topside for 4 people tomorrow. regretting not getting a rib roast. Live and learn.

Good luck, hopefully your cut is fresh.

In my experience, Lamb does not vizzle well. Amps up the funk factor by 100.

Well that makes me a bit worried but I'll be following a Kenji recipe that uses some heavy cumin and mustard flavoring so here's hoping (I'll report back).