Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

the_enduser
May 1, 2006

They say the user lives outside the net.

davidspackage posted:

Have the previous seasons gotten any kind of bluray release? I'm a sucker for actor commentary tracks.

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=expanse+bluray

E: Looking at them, it seems Season 1 and 3 don't have commentary. Though, maybe its just not printed on the bluray label.

the_enduser fucked around with this message at 11:01 on Dec 24, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

Yeah, I think they "ascended" or whatever, and are actually still around.

So what, they ascend and now they won’t answer a call from their mother protomolecule?

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Narsham posted:

So what, they ascend and now they won’t answer a call from their mother protomolecule?

No, they just don't give a poo poo anymore; nothing happening in the physical plane matters to them anymore. Protomolecule was just their physical instrument after they uploaded themselves to the laser cloud

Fragmented
Oct 7, 2003

I'm not ready =(

Just thought of this, if they have magic finger growing potions wouldn't humans(known for being weird) do some crazy poo poo with it? Couldn't you make a couple extra arms? Expand your muscles so you are a 400 pound superman? Be like that dude in The Culture books that has like 50 dicks installed for a party?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
It probably just does whatever your DNA says should be at that spot.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
youd have to do a ton of work to grow new nerves, bones, musculature and everything. they cant jist grow you a new arm theyve got to hook it into your body so you can use it.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Cojawfee posted:

It probably just does whatever your DNA says should be at that spot.

Yeah it's described as regeneration, like animals that can regrow limbs. It's not just arbitrary.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Fragmented posted:

Be like that dude in The Culture books that has like 50 dicks installed for a party?

Hm this does not make me want to read any more of these books

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
If weird sex stuff turns you off that much I just don't know how you're into sci fi as a genre

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Tighclops posted:

If weird sex stuff turns you off that much I just don't know how you're into sci fi as a genre

Haha it isn't really

I read the first Culture book and was really just lukewarm on it, I'm not surprised there's even more weird sex poo poo in it :shrug:

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Fragmented posted:

Just thought of this, if they have magic finger growing potions wouldn't humans(known for being weird) do some crazy poo poo with it? Couldn't you make a couple extra arms? Expand your muscles so you are a 400 pound superman? Be like that dude in The Culture books that has like 50 dicks installed for a party?

Genetic engineering and AI development probably should be farther along but I'm okay with not turning the world into a completely alien place that would blow our tiny millennial minds, it would mess with the "same poo poo, different century" themes of the show too much.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

Johnny Truant posted:

Haha it isn't really

I read the first Culture book and was really just lukewarm on it, I'm not surprised there's even more weird sex poo poo in it :shrug:

That's commonly thought of as one of the bottom tier books FYI, and they're all essentially stand alone.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Nail Rat posted:

That's commonly thought of as one of the bottom tier books FYI, and they're all essentially stand alone.

Yup, I've heard this as well. Here's to hoping 50-dicked-party-man isn't in Player of Games, that's the next Culture book I'll read

But that isn't gonna be anytime soon, too many other books, like the latest Expanse novella!

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
In the culture a lot of people spend their young lives loving around and getting up to new and inventive sexual depravity until they start to grow and realize they can have virtual sex as perfect as they can imagine it and begin to treasure relationships with real people. Sma goes on about it a bit in Use of Weapons, which is probably my favorite book. And the best book. And yes I know I quoted Excession earlier.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Depressing season. The perpetual cycle of imperialism and exploitation and the suffering and destruction that results from it have been unleashed on the stars like a locusts swarm. And it will eat and perpetuate for thousands of years until there is nothing left to consume and destroy, except itself.

It would cost a miniscule fraction of the resources of colonization to actually fix Earth and Mars through population control. Make them stable and healthy societies. Then go out and explore and study these worlds as explorers. But as in the real world, that path is closed to us because people can never grow beyond being absusers and exploiters and feeding that cycle of misery. Merry Christmas!

Also, the season reminded me a lot of the BSG and the New Caprica plot. BSG also had a strong theme of imperialism and abuse perpetuating themselves.

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

One other thing I wanted to call out from the season that was good, was I loved Avasarala's husband's stuff when they went to Mars about the Martians have generational thinking. Both because it's a good observation and also the deep irony that it's only being recognized at the moment that whole way of life is falling apart without either of them knowing it.

gfarrell80
Aug 31, 2006

GABA ghoul posted:

BSG also had a strong theme of imperialism and abuse perpetuating themselves.

BSG? Strong theme of imperialism? Not so sure about that one.

Sakara123
Dec 10, 2019

The Big Chungus

Fragmented posted:

On top of what others have said, keep In mind how expensive it is, buddy who got his arm ripped off in s1 e1 on the cant only just had the possibility of a non artificial prosthetic because hed been with the company for many YEARS

Fragmented
Oct 7, 2003

I'm not ready =(

Johnny Truant posted:

Yup, I've heard this as well. Here's to hoping 50-dicked-party-man isn't in Player of Games, that's the next Culture book I'll read

But that isn't gonna be anytime soon, too many other books, like the latest Expanse novella!

No I'm pretty sure it's in his last book The Hydrogen Sonota and it's not like a big plot point. And honestly if you get through all the books and a dude with a bunch of dicks is the thing that creeps you out I don't know what to tell you.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Fidel Cuckstro posted:

One other thing I wanted to call out from the season that was good, was I loved Avasarala's husband's stuff when they went to Mars about the Martians have generational thinking. Both because it's a good observation and also the deep irony that it's only being recognized at the moment that whole way of life is falling apart without either of them knowing it.

It reminded me of all the bullshit fluff pieces and attitudes certain folks in the west have regarding modern China, and how hollow it rings when you scratch the surface of their state propaganda. Mars is just as short sighted, corrupt, and fragile as any other state or group in the system. It just hammers its propaganda harder to its own people and on the international stage.

Pizza Segregationist
Jul 18, 2006

"Amos keep a lid on the situation"
"K, want me to shoot Morty?"

:lol: best line of the season

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Baronjutter posted:

It reminded me of all the bullshit fluff pieces and attitudes certain folks in the west have regarding modern China, and how hollow it rings when you scratch the surface of their state propaganda. Mars is just as short sighted, corrupt, and fragile as any other state or group in the system. It just hammers its propaganda harder to its own people and on the international stage.

I think you'll like* Amazon's One Child Nation.

*As much as anyone can "like" a grim documentary about totalitarian enforcement of state-mandated population control, but the propaganda/image vs. reality elements are very relevant here.

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

This weird sex prudishness that some ppl itt have going on is exactly what members of the culture would point and laugh at.

Hehe I said member.

Happy Christmas you fuckers.

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

69 dicks for loving, 420 mouths for smoking, and a cybernetic superbrain is what i want santa

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

GABA ghoul posted:

Depressing season. The perpetual cycle of imperialism and exploitation and the suffering and destruction that results from it have been unleashed on the stars like a locusts swarm. And it will eat and perpetuate for thousands of years until there is nothing left to consume and destroy, except itself.

It would cost a miniscule fraction of the resources of colonization to actually fix Earth and Mars through population control. Make them stable and healthy societies. Then go out and explore and study these worlds as explorers. But as in the real world, that path is closed to us because people can never grow beyond being absusers and exploiters and feeding that cycle of misery. Merry Christmas!

Also, the season reminded me a lot of the BSG and the New Caprica plot. BSG also had a strong theme of imperialism and abuse perpetuating themselves.

They thing for me is that "population control" usually devolves down to "We have way too many brown and yellow people. We need to cut down on them now. We could use some more hot blonde white people, though."

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Everyone posted:

They thing for me is that "population control" usually devolves down to "We have way too many brown and yellow people. We need to cut down on them now. We could use some more hot blonde white people, though."

Or when they talk about Population Control as a bad thing its "the browns want to kill all the white people".

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

twistedmentat posted:

Or when they talk about Population Control as a bad thing its "the browns want to kill all the white people".

Nothing can make me like Cleveland no matter how hard you try

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Phi230 posted:

Nothing can make me like Cleveland no matter how hard you try

But... but... Cleveland Rocks!

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

Better than Regina.

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Baronjutter posted:

Agreed, expect modern China is great. So more like how western imperialist dogs imagine modern China, so I get roughly where you're going.

The Klowner
Apr 20, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Fidel Cuckstro posted:

Agreed, expect modern China is great. So more like how western imperialist dogs imagine modern China, so I get roughly where you're going.

lol

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Fidel Cuckstro posted:

r guyovich parachute spotted

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

gfarrell80 posted:

BSG? Strong theme of imperialism? Not so sure about that one.

The Colonials enslave Cylons and extract labor from them to enrich themselves. The liberated skinjob Cylons then enslave the old generation Cylons to extract labor from them. All of this has been going on for thousands of years in a perpetual cycle of overthrowing the oppressors and then becoming the new oppressors.

Also, there was this whole plot about the rich colonies like Caprica extracting wealth from the poorer colonies.

Everyone posted:

Yeah, but who cares about what white supremacists think? They have opinions on everything from tax policy to how to hang toilet paper. When humanity's equilibrium is a dystopia where most people are unemployed and subsist on gray tasteless goo and wear paper clothes and can only sustain themselves through brutal extraction of resources from the periphery, inaction has completely failed as a policy.

Slap a basic income of 40% of the average wage on voluntary sterilization after your first child, 20% after your second child and a McDonalds coupon after your third. It's definitely gonna affect the worldwide population distribution, but there is no way around that. Any way to make the externalities of living beyond the ecological carrying capacity real, is gonna lead to injustice in some form. We can try to minimize that as much as possible, but there is no way to avoid it completely. It's very similar to our own modern problem of climate change. There is no solution to it that is not going to be regressive and unjust in some form, but it still needs to happen.

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

See, everyone loves China!

gfarrell80
Aug 31, 2006

GABA ghoul posted:

The Colonials enslave Cylons and extract labor from them to enrich themselves. The liberated skinjob Cylons then enslave the old generation Cylons to extract labor from them. All of this has been going on for thousands of years in a perpetual cycle of overthrowing the oppressors and then becoming the new oppressors.

Also, there was this whole plot about the rich colonies like Caprica extracting wealth from the poorer colonies.

The 1st Cylon war (the robo revolution) is background for the series, not really present. The reason why the cylons revolted in the 1st cylon war is of miniscule concern in the series, I am not sure it is really even covered. The statement "The Colonials enslave Cylons and extract labor from them to enrich themselves" is somewhat questionable. To enslave something it has to be sentient. I'm not sure the colonials in the 1st cylon war were knowingly enslaving sentient robots; my understanding was that it was kinda a skynet type moment causing the 1st cylon war. More the classic 'be wary of technology because it will kill you' myth (Daedalus/Icarus) than a warning against colonialism.

Also the statement "liberated skinjob cylons then enslave the old generation Cylons to extract labor from them" is a little dubious. The exact relationship between the skin jobs and the other cylons is a little mysterious. To me it always seemed more symbiotic and cooperative rather than exploitative. There doesn't seem to be any kind of priority given to skin job projects at the expense of centurions and raiders.

To me BSG was less about imperialism and more of a warning about how technology is as likely to be our killer as our savior. Also BSG had some of the typical petty tribalistic politics thrown in there.

Was that thing about Caprica in the 'Caprica' show? I don't remember that in the mainline BSG story. It has been several years though.

Norton the First
Dec 4, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

gfarrell80 posted:

To me BSG was less about imperialism and more of a warning about how technology is as likely to be our killer as our savior. Also BSG had some of the typical petty tribalistic politics thrown in there.

Made explicit to beat the audience over the head with in the terrible finale, even.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

GABA ghoul posted:

Yeah, but who cares about what white supremacists think? They have opinions on everything from tax policy to how to hang toilet paper. When humanity's equilibrium is a dystopia where most people are unemployed and subsist on gray tasteless goo and wear paper clothes and can only sustain themselves through brutal extraction of resources from the periphery, inaction has completely failed as a policy.

Slap a basic income of 40% of the average wage on voluntary sterilization after your first child, 20% after your second child and a McDonalds coupon after your third. It's definitely gonna affect the worldwide population distribution, but there is no way around that. Any way to make the externalities of living beyond the ecological carrying capacity real, is gonna lead to injustice in some form. We can try to minimize that as much as possible, but there is no way to avoid it completely. It's very similar to our own modern problem of climate change. There is no solution to it that is not going to be regressive and unjust in some form, but it still needs to happen.

Actually, you should care what white supremacists think because in our real world, white people still rule the world. Well, rich people do, and the largest percentage of rich people are white. It's not about rear end in a top hat MAGA nazi-types. White people (and I am one) want to stay "supreme" because that's the status quo. Rich people tend to be white. Rich people support the status quo so they can stay rich.

Who says that at least some of that hasn't already been done, at least on Earth? With 30 billion people, many of whom lack employment and are on Basic, presumably population controls like you have outlined have already been implemented. As medical knowledge increases, lifespans lengthenSo figure at this point either they take advantage of the 1300 new frontiers that just opened up or they start building extermination camps. Maybe they can raise money via gladiatorial "Hunger Games." The survivors get to eat the losers.

Everyone fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Dec 26, 2019

Pizza Segregationist
Jul 18, 2006

Do Martians wear all black clothes in the books? I thought it was a good touch really helped give Mars that authoritarian look.

A very minor nitpick but (ep 8) Elvi needing Holden to read test results to her after she went blind was a little silly. All those advanced computers but we've lost text-to-speech technology

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Pizza Segregationist posted:

Do Martians wear all black clothes in the books?

A book only has words, idiot

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Pizza Segregationist posted:

Do Martians wear all black clothes in the books? I thought it was a good touch really helped give Mars that authoritarian look.

A very minor nitpick but (ep 8) Elvi needing Holden to read test results to her after she went blind was a little silly. All those advanced computers but we've lost text-to-speech technology

Maybe they didn't pack speakers