Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should Gaj make his own thread
This poll is closed.
Yes, make a new thread 6 54.55%
No, keep things just how they are 5 45.45%
Total: 11 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
I made a slight offshoot to the boomer thread, but for overall holiday misery themed here. Mainly, my OP was inspired by boomers not understanding people choosing the “leave it” option of “America: love it or leave it.”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"

Bonzo posted:

in the World War Z novel, ,they discover that zombies freeze in cold weather so everyone goes to upper Canada. Except they all pretty much die because they are not prepared for -25 C windchill and those that so survive are basically slaves or have poo poo stolen all the time.

There's a book put out a few years ago that details the journals and writings of Laura Ingles Wilder, who wrote the Little House on the Prairie series, and talks about how harsh it was live in the Western US back in the mid 1800s. Imagine showing up for your 10 acre plot of land, in the dead of winter, and you have to now clear land and build a house.

It's a good book! I bought it for my mom for Christmas a few years back because we grew up by LIW ground zero

paternity suitor
Aug 2, 2016

FogHelmut posted:

My boss and two coworkers are late 50s and their kids are only a couple years younger than me and some have kids of their own, so at 36 with my own child, I'm a child and am never getting promoted.

I listened to a coworker in their 50's say to a group of mid 30's coworkers "you're all always going to be kids to me, hahahaha" as if that is not a loving ridiculous thing to say to your, and I stress the "co" part, co-workers

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

teen witch posted:

I made a slight offshoot to the boomer thread, but for overall holiday misery themed here. Mainly, my OP was inspired by boomers not understanding people choosing the “leave it” option of “America: love it or leave it.”

This reminds me that I know a boomer expat and his ADHD is so bad he just recently learned that those medium sized black birds that are ubiquitous everywhere on Earth are the ones called crows.

Literally, in his 60's and he blurts out, "Oh, so THOSE are crows?"

How the hell :psyduck:

Time Cowboy
Nov 4, 2007

But Tarzan... The strangest thing has happened! I'm as bare... as the day I was born!
People of all ages have incredibly narrow areas of interest and lack interest in the natural world. I’m guessing 85% of suburban people couldn’t identify a specific bird to save their life.

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

I couldn't either but that's because birds suck and arnt worth remembering. Theres 2. Ones that poo poo on you and are loud. And ones that are murderers and are loud.

Time Cowboy
Nov 4, 2007

But Tarzan... The strangest thing has happened! I'm as bare... as the day I was born!

Hihohe posted:

I couldn't either but that's because birds suck and arnt worth remembering. Theres 2. Ones that poo poo on you and are loud. And ones that are murderers and are loud.

Birds are awesome. From what you described it’s clear you’re thinking of people, not birds.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Crows are awesome. Ravens too. Magpies are sketchy. Tits are always nice.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Spend and afternoon outside just watching the birds in your neighborbood, you will quickly learn that Mockingbirds and Bluejays are such loving assholes that they deserve to be reincarnated as humans.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Mockingbirds are literally boomers with wings

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Birds are government surveillance tools.

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood

Animal-Mother posted:

This reminds me that I know a boomer expat and his ADHD is so bad he just recently learned that those medium sized black birds that are ubiquitous everywhere on Earth are the ones called crows.

Literally, in his 60's and he blurts out, "Oh, so THOSE are crows?"

How the hell :psyduck:

i'm a huge bird nerd who also has executive dysfunction, and despite being able to differentiate sparrows at like half a mile, i still get confused between crows and ravens. in my excuse, it's difficult for me to judge scale and size without the other one being nearby. otherwise they're just black birds.

ohhhhh wait wait i misread this post, he just hadn't put together that "crow" means "that bird you see everywhere." huh.

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

Do the boomers in your life at the holidays talk about anything besides which doctor they're currently seeing and casual racism

Because mine don't

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

Tim Whatley posted:

Do the boomers in your life at the holidays talk about anything besides which doctor they're currently seeing and casual racism

Because mine don't

The last major family event I was at was Thanksgiving at my wife's grandparents with all the uncles and aunts and cousins and poo poo years ago.

One uncle was a Dallas cop flipping out over ebola and how Obama's policy of not being an rear end in a top hat to the American nurses who caught it and came back to the U.S. for treatment was going to cause an ebola outbreak in America. Then there was the matriarch of the family, grandma, casually describing her grandson with schizophrenia as "retarded," right in front of him. :sigh:

Not all Americans are terrible, but a huge chunk of Americans are loving terrible. Like, 44%.

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

Internet hug, pal. It'll be better one day.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

FogHelmut posted:

My boss and two coworkers are late 50s and their kids are only a couple years younger than me and some have kids of their own, so at 36 with my own child, I'm a child and am never getting promoted.

One of the boomerest things I come across (and frequently) is this attitude that people younger than they are a bunch of know nothings and you can only obtain knowledge of any sort by living longer than the other person. I'm not even talking about life experience. Just general knowledge of the world and what's going on. Boomers will treat anyone in excess of ten years younger than them like a child. I'm 33 years old and I frequently get the "You'll understand when you're older." routine.

Tim Whatley posted:

Because mine don't

A number of years ago I completely opted out of holiday gatherings that include anyone I'm related to outside of my immediate family and it's one of the best decisions I've ever made.

kuddles
Jul 16, 2006

Like a fist wrapped in blood...

CPL593H posted:

One of the boomerest things I come across (and frequently) is this attitude that people younger than they are a bunch of know nothings and you can only obtain knowledge of any sort by living longer than the other person. I'm not even talking about life experience. Just general knowledge of the world and what's going on. Boomers will treat anyone in excess of ten years younger than them like a child. I'm 33 years old and I frequently get the "You'll understand when you're older." routine.
It also explains the numerous boomer-era corporations I've worked at or been involved with where seniority is always treated as sacrosanct and young people with skill are poo poo on until they leave.

Nastyman
Jul 11, 2007

There they sit
at the foot of the mountain
Taking hits
of the sacred smoke
Fire rips at their lungs
Holy mountain take us away
Scandinavian boomers will call you a polack so they can be both racist and condescending at the same time. It's a hoot.

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

That used to be the southern US with wetback but that's mostly been called out as ,aptly, really racist.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

kuddles posted:

It also explains the numerous boomer-era corporations I've worked at or been involved with where seniority is always treated as sacrosanct and young people with skill are poo poo on until they leave.

This is why investment in nontech (read: led by boomers not gen x) companies has imploded

There's ageism in tech but there's also the 60yo guy who called me a chink to my face while I was interviewing him

Calling your interviewer racial slurs: ok even boomers are mostly too smart to do that

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

bob dobbs is dead posted:

This is why investment in nontech (read: led by boomers not gen x) companies has imploded

There's ageism in tech but there's also the 60yo guy who called me a chink to my face while I was interviewing him

Calling your interviewer racial slurs: ok even boomers are mostly too smart to do that

Jesus...what do you even say to something like that?

Nastyman
Jul 11, 2007

There they sit
at the foot of the mountain
Taking hits
of the sacred smoke
Fire rips at their lungs
Holy mountain take us away

Dienes posted:

Jesus...what do you even say to something like that?

Don't call us, we'll call you.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

Meanwhile at my office I am lobbying hard to both racially and gender diversify my department because all these cis-het white boomer guys are going to give me ann aneurysm, and they are slow as gently caress in everything they do.

Uncle Enzo
Apr 28, 2008

I always wanted to be a Wizard

Time Cowboy posted:

People of all ages have incredibly narrow areas of interest and lack interest in the natural world. I’m guessing 85% of suburban people couldn’t identify a specific bird to save their life.

Bullshit. I bet 99.99% of people, including almost all children, can identify:

Chickens
Turkeys
Ostriches
Seagulls
Pigeons
Woodpeckers
Peacocks
Ducks

And way more than 85% I bet could also identify:

Storks/herons
Pelicans
Crows/Ravens

Uncle Enzo fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Dec 25, 2019

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

“People are too sensitive these days! You can’t say anything!”

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Nastyman posted:

Don't call us, we'll call you.

"Get the gently caress out, bigot"

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
I was last, that was a no hire

But I wonder how many stories of people who got hit by ageism is just people getting hit with casual racism being unacceptable in the non chud workforce today

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

But I wonder how many stories of people who got hit by ageism is just people getting hit with casual racism being unacceptable in the non chud workforce today

Going by the lead brains I've had to deal with, a significant portion.

xcheopis
Jul 23, 2003

It's a very real problem for women.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
Not getting hired because they're racist?

xcheopis
Jul 23, 2003

Ageism.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
In tech women face discrimination still just for being women. The most promising person I ever mentored at one job was a PoC woman who absolutely kicked rear end at every job duty thrown at her, and fit in really well with my department. After I left I found out management had specifically blocked her from getting promoted because they thought she'd be a, "distraction," on the floor. They blocked her so long she eventually just quit and went to another company.

Every man I mentored before her had been fast tracked for promotion into my department.

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

Yep. Fiance is a senior software engineer at a massive multi-sector corporation based out of Texas (she's remote full time). It's also an incredibly specific outdated specialty code that she works in. She's been there for about 7 years and makes a lot less than the men in similar roles who have been there way less time, or in some cases even lesser roles.

Dely Apple
Apr 22, 2006

Sing me Spanish Techno

Solidary for my millenial colleagues all gritting and smiling as their Sinclair/Fox brain poisoned boomer parents rant about how there's a War on Christmas or whatever the gently caress they fell asleep in front of on Hannity

I'm sorry Death has not saved us from them yet

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
death is certain wizard shirt except it's Santa

Wutang-Yutani CORP
Sep 25, 2005

CORPORATIONS
RULE
EVERYTHING
AROUND
ME

kuddles posted:

Well paying positions at my job have opened up and it was said openly they would not interview anyone younger than 50. Age discrimination does not exist to these people until they feel like it is happening to them.

Wutang-Yutani CORP
Sep 25, 2005

CORPORATIONS
RULE
EVERYTHING
AROUND
ME

paternity suitor posted:

I listened to a coworker in their 50's say to a group of mid 30's coworkers "you're all always going to be kids to me, hahahaha" as if that is not a loving ridiculous thing to say to your, and I stress the "co" part, co-workers

I’ve had this happen at more than one job interview lol ( I’m going to be 34)

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

teardrop posted:

Coal miner pensions are getting bailed out with $10B of taxpayer money. The pension fund tried to borrow even more money, with the argument that everything was going to get better once boomers die.

That might make sense because have you ever seen an old coal miner? They'll be dead of black lung two weeks after they finally retire.

The actuaries are probably calculating average life spans in their estimates and giggling the whole time.

killer crane
Dec 30, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

Wutang-Yutani CORP posted:

Well paying positions at my job have opened up and it was said openly they would not interview anyone younger than 50. Age discrimination does not exist to these people until they feel like it is happening to them.

iirc age discrimination laws in the us only apply to those over 40.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Ageism is real but the main reason it exists is that (expected) boomer salaries are so high for what they're actually capable of