Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.
dang, that's cool

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

even clownpiece?

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
clownpiece is real, and strong, and my friend

Captain Cappy
Aug 7, 2008

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

https://twitter.com/nya_marisa/status/1206001042514751488

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
Maybe I'm being nitpicky, but that looks like a distinctly un-Touhou catgirl design.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

How could you forget the hat

Geez

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!
Looks more like a Friend than a 2hu.

lightrook
Nov 7, 2016

Pin 188

Hands too visible, not enough hat, insufficient smug. In other words, missing the three most essential characteristics of a 2hu.

NO LISTEN TO ME
Jan 3, 2009

「プリスティンビート」
「Pristine Beat」
Tabby Sign ~「Hatred of Mondays」

NO LISTEN TO ME fucked around with this message at 12:57 on Dec 17, 2019

leather fedora
Jun 27, 2004

The closest acceptable translation is
"die properly"
There was a Swedish gaming magazine that interviewed ZUN in 2006. There's a translation of it on the English wiki, but it was recently obtained by a Japanese fan and they discovered it contains what is probably the first and only published self-portrait of him.
https://twitter.com/Miikkadd/status/1207997400494690304

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
That's pretty neat! Is there a translation of it into english? And that self-portrait is surprisingly good considering the point in time he drew it.

JointHorse
Feb 7, 2005

Lusus naturæ et exaltabitur cor eius.

Yams Fan
Yes there is, check the touhou wiki.

https://en.touhouwiki.net/wiki/Interview_in_Swedish_Player1_Magazine

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

His collar has the same pattern as Rinnosuke’s. Or maybe Rinnosuke’s collar has the same pattern as ZUN’s? Who can say

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!
Clearly, Kourin is ZUN's self-insert. He's the only guy in a land of women and just wants to spend his time wondering what a Gameboy is.

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

:blizz:

HA HA HANI HANI HANIWA HANIWA

Kagaya Homoraisan
Aug 28, 2019

You say, run away
Instead, you get scared
For the way that I feel
Drops out into all this disorder
thank you stack for the christmas gift

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Buncha Switch Touhou fangames are on sale.

Are any worth picking up?

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Ammat The Ankh posted:

Buncha Switch Touhou fangames are on sale.

Are any worth picking up?

Labyrinth of Touhou's a pretty great Mystery Dungeon clone. Is Luna Nights on Switch cause that owns.

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

They said Luna Nights was supposed to come to Switch, but it's not there yet.

Golden Battler
Sep 6, 2010

~Perfect and Elegant~

A Sometimes Food posted:

Labyrinth of Touhou's a pretty great Mystery Dungeon clone. Is Luna Nights on Switch cause that owns.

You gave me a loving heart attack thinking LoT had been released on Switch.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

I like it, but I still think Stack's Rigid Paradise is the best she's done.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
Lotus Eaters chapter 2!

In which we see the sequel to chapter 1.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

That was quicker than I expected.

Though thinking on it, I think I’m glad the cat is out of the bag early. I was cool with the mystery but maybe it was too soon after we got done with WaHH. Also, I’m glad my pal Suika is totally in on it and will be a recurring character.

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

CommissarMega posted:

I like it, but I still think Stack's Rigid Paradise is the best she's done.

It doesn't matter if Stack's doing tragedy or comedy, pop or rock.

She is motherfucking powerful.

How dare they end this right before the panel with Reimu doing a suplex.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

i like to think the timeline of events means reimu has a spare witch outfit for marisa at her shrine

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Mazed posted:

How dare they end this right before the panel with Reimu doing a suplex.

Very rude

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Clarste posted:

Lotus Eaters chapter 2!

In which we see the sequel to chapter 1.

next chapter: a murder

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

rannum posted:

next chapter: a murder

is it really a murder if it is a state sanctioned extermination

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

el dorito posted:

is it really a murder if it is a state sanctioned extermination

All this time, Reimu was a PRC enforcer.

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

And they say Touhou isn't political commentary

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

I'unno, Zun's stuff seems to be getting more and more political as he gets older. Kanako's views on the lack of spirituality in the modern generation, that Tankobon called 'Alternative Facts', so forth.

I mean, I agree on both counts that poo poo's concerning. He's basically pulling a Terry Pratchett with the pointing out of concerning poo poo, only with (probable) cirrhosis instead of early Alzheimers.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I don't think they were being serious about Touhou being non-political.

I mean the Moriya Shrine's whole deal was basically just following up on ideas from even the super early Sealing Club stories. Politics in Touhou isn't exactly new.

somepartsareme
Mar 10, 2012

Diggle Hell is a Real
(Swingin') Place
Hell is an allegory for the US

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

WarpedNaba posted:

I'unno, Zun's stuff seems to be getting more and more political as he gets older. Kanako's views on the lack of spirituality in the modern generation, that Tankobon called 'Alternative Facts', so forth.

I mean, I agree on both counts that poo poo's concerning. He's basically pulling a Terry Pratchett with the pointing out of concerning poo poo, only with (probable) cirrhosis instead of early Alzheimers.

The politics have always been there to some degree and none of it is like... objectionable politics. So like why is it an issue?

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

It isn't, I kinda pointed out that it wasn't objectionable.

It's just a weird trend that the subtext tends to become more blatant as the authors age. I always put it down to frustration, myself.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

WarpedNaba posted:

It isn't, I kinda pointed out that it wasn't objectionable.

It's just a weird trend that the subtext tends to become more blatant as the authors age. I always put it down to frustration, myself.
It's probably partly frustration, partly that an extended creative career tends to free you from limitations like "self-censorship" or "editorial oversight," and probably a general realization that actually subtlety works way the gently caress less well when you're trying to communicate a message, than everyone thinks when they are young and clever.

Also https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EWJZK5zUS50

Also what exactly is his political perspective anyway, if there is one. I guess he's pretty deep Japanese of course, but Yukari is named after an immigrant author so ??

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

Pictured: The Wolf Of Gubbio (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Using youkai for political themes goes back a long way in Japanese literature and pop culture. I once found this interesting paper tracing this through different versions of "The Great Yokai War."

Keromaru5 fucked around with this message at 15:21 on Dec 27, 2019

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.

Nessus posted:

Also what exactly is his political perspective anyway, if there is one. I guess he's pretty deep Japanese of course, but Yukari is named after an immigrant author so ??

Going by the writing in the music CDs and books (and Wily Beast and Weakest Creature,) assuming that his depiction is mostly approval (and there's really no reason to assume otherwise,) ZUN is eco-conscious but disapproving of eco-capitalism, also of capitalism in general, and is pro-immigration and anti-authoritarian.

In interviews, he's also for gay rights, positive depictions of the disabled, and is pro-marijuana legalization.

Basically, for a series that had fans take Momiji and turned her into a minor alt-right figure, ZUN is pretty leftist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skaianDestiny
Jan 13, 2017

beep boop
ZUN's a cool guy.

Ammat The Ankh posted:

Clearly, Kourin is ZUN's self-insert. He's the only guy in a land of women and just wants to spend his time wondering what a Gameboy is.