Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Poopernickel
Oct 28, 2005

electricity bad
Fun Shoe

qhat posted:

I got asked to do one of these once too, I also ducked out once I saw the line of questioning also. They asked me to rate whether I was comfortable around the opposite sex and if I was lonely etc. If it's not okay to ask in person, then sticking it in some sterile internet questionnaire is equally not okay.

the way I see it, doing one of those personality tests only hurts you

like they're not going to offer you the job based on your stellar personality, so you can only hurt yourself by taking it

this is the interview version of "don't talk to police"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

EIDE Van Hagar posted:

arm has a weird personality test they make you take for pre-interview

Must be new and/or for junior people, I don't remember this.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

hobbesmaster posted:

you don’t need friends, you just need someone you worked with at least once that didn’t berate your skills

:ohdear:

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

hobbesmaster posted:

you don’t need friends, you just need someone you worked with at least once that didn’t berate your skills

you're asking a lot here

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

feedmegin posted:

Must be new and/or for junior people, I don't remember this.

it was a few years ago now, an experienced hire (but non managerial) position on a CPU design team. could have been someones pet project in a specific office too, I am not really sure

motedek
Oct 9, 2012
it's the decade of the job.

in the 2020s we're doing
- leetcode
- take home assignments
- networking coffees

interviewing and recruiting still garbage

Shaman Linavi
Apr 3, 2012

motedek posted:

interviewing and recruiting still garbage

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Do you want the worst job in the world working for the worst people in the world?
https://dominiccummings.com/2020/01/02/two-hands-are-a-lot-were-hiring-data-scientists-project-managers-policy-experts-assorted-weirdos/
Apply here!

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

there is no way I’m reading all that

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
the first thing on the page is a quote from the roko's basilisk guy so you know it's good

motedek
Oct 9, 2012
seeking dark enlightenment brain genius. requirements: postgres, scikit-learn.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

the first thing on the page is a quote from the roko's basilisk guy so you know it's good

That's a relief, since the author is basically running the country now.

refleks
Nov 21, 2006

When im working hard touching computers i often end up on SO as everyone else.

This popped up from a related part of the network:

https://workplace.stackexchange.com/questions/149386/why-is-it-so-acceptable-for-software-engineers-to-job-hop-im-tired-of-constant

Worlds greatest recruiter/ Manager extraordinaire posted:

Basically how did it become acceptable for software engineers to always be job switching? I am a recruiter for my company of about 250 and we employ 15 software engineers. Half my time is spent replacing them. Only one of them has been at my company for more than a year and he is the lead. The average tenure at the moment is 5 months.

And they are willing to quit over the slightest of things:

- One quit after his request for a paid software tool (a specific IDE) was denied. (They were instructed to use a specific freeware IDE)
- Another quit after 3 months as he didn't know how he was evaluated (we use Scrum, so there aren't close performance stats as that defeats the project management style).
- Yet another quit over not seeing a clear promotion track technically.
- The rest claimed that they "found new opportunities."

Seriously, why is this behavior considered acceptable in the software community? What can we do to encourage them to stay longer with us?

I think I'll be the refusal to evaluate employees because we use Scrum.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
I bet they pay like 70 grand

refleks
Nov 21, 2006

gently caress what they pay. Anyone of those points in a vacuum is enough to nope the gently caress out. Combine it with the fact that 15/250 people means no one knows poo poo about software development.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

they left a comment on one of the answers

quote:

Our niche is trying to be people's 2nd dev job, so our pitch is mostly to people inclined to quit. We don't hire juniors as then the more experienced people quit if they are forced to deal with them. So everyone we hire is poached from somewhere or applied to the posting. And then we basically take what we can get.

get a load of this brain genious over here

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

galaxy brain: hire people looking to quit, then get mad when they quit

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

my favorite part of articles that describe this kind of phenomena will always open with 'let's put compensation to the side because of course you're paying them enough' and then entirely focuses on all the other aspects that are important. that then because so little attention was paid to compensation that clearly means money isn't that important and the employees should be more grateful for the things we're doing for them

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

or seeing boards meant for hr/management address these questions and instead of being yelled at like they are on stack overflow they all circle jerk over how studies say MONEY ISN'T EVERYTHING MONEY ISN'T EVERYTHING as if they're trying to convince themselves that stiffing their employees is not only an option but the preferable one

refleks
Nov 21, 2006

carry on then posted:

they left a comment on one of the answers

get a load of this brain genious over here

He's replied quite a bit. At some point he edited out that the software request that was denied was something from Jetbrains. Just lol if you refuse 200 dollar expenditure on Intelij and act surprised when they quit.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
"why do people keep quitting" asks the man who has listed off the multiple reasons people have given him for quitting

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

there's certain companies that people who are desperate to quit wherever they are end up at, walmart.com is a big one around here, I know so many people who were there for a year or less just to regroup from a really bad job. I think they just have a really streamlined process and will take a chance on someone who seems pretty good

there's 90 listings on indeed for them right now

Maximum Leader
Dec 5, 2014

refleks posted:

He's replied quite a bit. At some point he edited out that the software request that was denied was something from Jetbrains. Just lol if you refuse 200 dollar expenditure on Intelij and act surprised when they quit.

lol I hope the freeware tool was eclipse

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Maximum Leader posted:

lol I hope the freeware tool was eclipse

even eclipse isn't actually freeware with a number of plugins, like if you use pydev or ARM Kiel or w/e

could have been one of the "IDEs" like codeblocks or something

e: I guess pydev actually is free, but I swear I specifically had to get some license something, ironically when I used it at ARM; keil definitely is not though

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Jan 4, 2020

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

vi and gcc is good enough for stallman it’s good enough for me, a fellow foot chunk enthusiast

by the way, I quit

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

a few links from that so post i found an article that's 100% concentrated Rich White Boomer:

https://digiday.com/marketing/wtf-millennials-dealing-with-agencies-newest-generation/

quote:

The other side of this thirst for young talent is a familiar one to anyone in business: the newest generation of workers often seems, well, different from other generations. Much has been made of the millennials. They’re confident. They’re optimistic. They’re an ADD generation. They’re suffering from separation anxiety after having spent their early years receiving the constant attention of helicopter parenting and winning trophies for finishing in 16th place. They have been told they’re the best, and their opinion is equal to anyone else’s, even those far older and more experienced than them.

It’s enough to leave managers in their 30s, 40s and beyond scratching their heads and feeling very much like grumpy old cranks who want those drat kids to turn down their music and get off their lawns. Digiday asked agency executives, with the promise of anonymity to not offend the delicate sensibilities of their young charges, to share their frustrations in managing the ad world’s next generation of leaders.

refleks
Nov 21, 2006

isnt one of the conditions for most freeware that it cannot be used in an enterprise context (i.e. making money from it)

The Workplace is great because just as PIZZA.BAT said its always expert managers who dont understand why the hell all the theory they know just does not work even though they learned it from Harvard Business Review

(ask me about being forwarded links to the most inane HBR articles from my boss' boss)

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

refleks posted:

isnt one of the conditions for most freeware that it cannot be used in an enterprise context (i.e. making money from it)

lol

refleks
Nov 21, 2006

sorry im not up to date on the various flavours of open sores. please forgive rms

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
im not going to quote carry on then, but "managers in their 30s"? im in my 30s, and im pretty much smack dab in the middle of the millennial generation, and the older ones are almost 40

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

carry on then posted:

a few links from that so post i found an article that's 100% concentrated Rich White Boomer:

https://digiday.com/marketing/wtf-millennials-dealing-with-agencies-newest-generation/

i'm pretty sure they aren't but any time i read one of these i'm really worried that the managers above me are reading this garbage

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Raluek posted:

im not going to quote carry on then, but "managers in their 30s"? im in my 30s, and im pretty much smack dab in the middle of the millennial generation, and the older ones are almost 40
"millenial" has transformed into "any young person" in the lead-soaked brains of most boomers

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

browsing through the author's twitter and found this gem

https://twitter.com/bmorrissey/status/1209949790424969216?s=20

so yeah this is the kind of person who writes that kind of tripe

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

That can gently caress off

refleks
Nov 21, 2006

also fantastic its from the ad industry. cannot imagine a more toxic industry (after SV)...

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

quote:

My one recent anecdote is when one of our new hires sent me an email requesting dual monitors and that one of them be a large one. I simply forwarded the email to that girl’s manager suggesting that she come check out my dinky 15-inch monitor that I’m rocking.

i assume they hired a junior dev who requested a decent setup because it's vastly superior to tiling poo poo on a small screen, but the smug gently caress manages outlook just fine on his 15 incher that she should check out

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

lol this site is a fuckin trip

quote:

Digiday, a division of Digiday Media, takes a global view of the media and marketing industries and confronts the truths in technology’s disruption of these industries. Digiday connects with its audience across web, email, podcasts, a quarterly magazine, a membership program and in-person events.

Digiday publishes every day, across the world, with an editorial staff led by editor-in-chief Brian Morrissey. We believe in quality over quantity, honesty over spin. Our work has been recognized by multiple industry awards and a loyal audience.
The Digiday Awards programs are dedicated to recognizing innovation, creativity and excellence in the fields of publishing, content marketing, advertising, advertising technology and video. The awards programs are considered to be one of the most influential in the industry.
and their awards page:

he's not even trying to pretend that these are anything but bought and paid for

really precious that he's talking about consolation trophies in his article

stuffed crust punk
Oct 8, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

qirex posted:

there's certain companies that people who are desperate to quit wherever they are end up at, walmart.com is a big one around here, I know so many people who were there for a year or less just to regroup from a really bad job. I think they just have a really streamlined process and will take a chance on someone who seems pretty good

there's 90 listings on indeed for them right now

are you in AR? i spent some time there (not working for walmart) and literally everyone in my sphere either came from walmart or eventually went there

stuffed crust punk
Oct 8, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

carry on then posted:

the 30-40 year old millenials are so annoyed with the 22 year old millenials

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

update on my poo poo i guess: third company in a row to tell me i'm heading to the final round of interviews and then ghost me. i'm hoping it's just the holidays causing everything to gridlock but it's not looking good :\