Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Man Musk
Jan 13, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

I plan to live forever, of course, but barring that I'd settle for a couple thousand years. Even 500 would be pretty nice.
It's funny that del Toro could make me care about a slimy scaly 1930s monster but Tom Hooper makes me afraid of my favorite animal.

Enough cats talk, sorry

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

LookingGodIntheEye posted:

It's funny that del Toro could make me care about a slimy scaly 1930s monster but Tom Hooper makes me afraid of my favorite animal.

Enough cats talk, sorry

there's been how many pages about star wars? We can have CATS chat for as long as we need

I'm watching it this Friday with as large a group of friends as I can drag to hell with me. I hope it's the unpatched version. I can't loving wait

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

https://twitter.com/randygdub/status/1208632520297680896

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos
https://twitter.com/TPBoysScreen/status/1209955423761158144?s=19

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
cats is exactly what the original movie was except they tried to shoehorn plot and romance in and there are several lovely fat jokes early in the movie. it is equally as perplexing, you will leave the theater wondering why this movie even exists.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
Cats is great, but it's not Good

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
cats repulses me just trying to watch it. the hosed up cat/human hybrids made up of lovely CGI that then turn around and eat a loving sexy human/cockroach hybrid is just absolutely terrifying. it’s like a nightmare come to life

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

OK OK I'll go see CATS already, gently caress!

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer

Taintrunner posted:

cats repulses me just trying to watch it. the hosed up cat/human hybrids made up of lovely CGI that then turn around and eat a loving sexy human/cockroach hybrid is just absolutely terrifying. it’s like a nightmare come to life

Nothing in this post is incorrect

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
All the normal people I know are all raving about the new Star Wars, so I used it as an opportunity to teaching them about the weirdos who shreak about media on twitter and we all had a laugh.

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

I figured out how the Star Wars sequels could have been saved

Darth Joker

Serf
May 5, 2011

went and saw uncut gems and i honestly don't know how a movie maintains that level of intensity for two hours. but from the moment it starts it pretty much never lets up with attempting to induce as much anxiety in you as possible. during the climax i legit realized that i was stressed out watching the movie. brilliant film

hallebarrysoetoro
Jun 14, 2003
star wars could have been saved by people listening to the argument that star trek tng was better than star wars

also after re-watching mr. robot i forgot how hilariously anti-capitalist it was before it toned down to total succdem

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

The only direction that Star Wars can go without redoing the original trilogy again is to deconstruct the Jedi/Sith binary and open up the universe to a morally complex dichotomy that you can actually do interesting things with.

But that's not gonna happen.

Soup du Jour
Sep 8, 2011

I always knew I'd die with a headache.

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

there's been how many pages about star wars? We can have CATS chat for as long as we need

I'm watching it this Friday with as large a group of friends as I can drag to hell with me. I hope it's the unpatched version. I can't loving wait

my mom said we should go to see CATS on friday while getting hammed and I’ve never been more sure I’m someone’s child

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

The only direction that Star Wars can go without redoing the original trilogy again is to deconstruct the Jedi/Sith binary and open up the universe to a morally complex dichotomy that you can actually do interesting things with.

But that's not gonna happen.

i think there's some things that could happen exploring the nature of the force and the traditions that seek to understand it but also everyone writing for it is terrible so the best we can hope for is cooler pew pew spaceships

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

We didn't even get new spaceships

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
You know they hosed up a Star Wars when they don't even have merchandisable new spaceships.

I don't think anyone knows how to do spaceships anymore.

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Just saw parasite and it was freaking pwnage, and highly relatable. The best of his movies I’ve seen

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Ghost Leviathan posted:

You know they hosed up a Star Wars when they don't even have merchandisable new spaceships.

I don't think anyone knows how to do spaceships anymore.

The new class of star destroyers are all supposed to have mega lasers that can destroy a planet, but at a glance you can't even tell where the superweapon is supposed to be. They all look almost exactly like the old star destroyers. It really is an astounding failure in foresight.

Okuteru
Nov 10, 2007

Choose this life you're on your own
Cats is pretty much how all theatre looks like all the time to non theatre kids and art snobs. Theatre folks realize that and they are having an existential crisis about it.

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos
My review of Uncut Gems is that it's weird seeing a movie about your dad if he was a Jewish jeweller

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.

We can have CATS chat for as long as we need

Cats is one of the few big flamboyant cultural products that every group has agreed is ok to mock horribly for every decade of my life. What I mean by this is that it never turned out to be special to any disenfranchised group and/or come to represent some kind of shared experience that the in group can’t personally relate to, and when the meaning becomes clear, easy humor two pointers at its expense are off the table unless you want to side with the baddies. No one has ever even come out to declaim it’s virtue as a musical, I assume because the New York tourists that bankrolled its existence were all murdered in botched muggings shortly after leaving the theater.

It has existed in a pure joke state for at least thirty years, until it stopped continuously touring a while ago, at which point it faded.

BUT THEN Hollywood made a 100 million dollar investment in me being able to make a sneering low effort reference from my own youth that young people can understand without also assuming I’m a nazi. We love to see it, folks!

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

The new class of star destroyers are all supposed to have mega lasers that can destroy a planet, but at a glance you can't even tell where the superweapon is supposed to be. They all look almost exactly like the old star destroyers. It really is an astounding failure in foresight.

The threat of "a lot of normal ships" was enough to justify the galactic threat in KOTOR, but they had to start off the new series with "surprise there's a new planet sized death star that can shoot anything" and finish it off with "A hundred death stars!!!"

?

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
its times like this i have to remind myself that the death star was more of a political statement than a weapon and that darth vader thought the whole thing was conceptually flawed for exactly that reason but nope super nukes it is since no one can be bothered to actually pay attention to the original script

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

Skellybones posted:

but they had to start off the new series with "surprise there's a new planet sized death star that can shoot anything" and finish it off with "A hundred death stars!!!"

7 and 8 did such a bad job of communicating these points, i could not have recited them to you based on memory alone

i still don't understand what was supposed to be happening with the first order or how the rebellion needed to spring back to life to combat them, so any stakes beyond that initial failed premise got lost on me i guess

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
They cut out all the exposition because they were afraid too much 'politics' would give people prequels ptsd

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

Ghost Leviathan posted:

They cut out all the exposition because they were afraid too much 'politics' would give people prequels ptsd

i feel like i cant sa y this without someone just saying the OT was the same but the sequels are so vague with even basic details that theres nos ense of what the actual stakes are in any battle scene

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you.

Skellybones posted:

The threat of "a lot of normal ships" was enough to justify the galactic threat in KOTOR, but they had to start off the new series with "surprise there's a new planet sized death star that can shoot anything" and finish it off with "A hundred death stars!!!"

?

I can't be the only one who thinks they were ripping kotor off with the sith fleet and sith planet

Some Guy TT posted:

darth vader thought the whole thing was conceptually flawed

Darth Vader, art sith

Hatebag
Jun 17, 2008

Cats fuckin owns. Get wasted and go see cats. Bring a flask and a vape. Or go sober if that's how you comport yourself - you'll be intoxicated and dissociated by this cinematic tour de force! This is one meowvie that doesn't belong in the litter box!

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

Skellybones posted:

?

Well the super-weapon in KOTOR1 was just the main woman NPC's unique force power.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Hatebag posted:

Cats fuckin owns. Get wasted and go see cats. Bring a flask and a vape. Or go sober if that's how you comport yourself - you'll be intoxicated and dissociated by this cinematic tour de force! This is one meowvie that doesn't belong in the litter box!

im goin to see CATS with a Monster Zero energy so I don't fall asleep in the recliner seating and witness every minute of the terror

Fleetwood
Mar 26, 2010

biggest hochul head in china
considering watching CATS in descriptive audio for the full mind gently caress experience

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Fleetwood posted:

considering watching CATS in descriptive audio for the full mind gently caress experience
Yeah the theater I'm watching it at offers that and I'm considering it

Does anyone know if the movie is patched in theaters already? I hope not

Hatebag
Jun 17, 2008

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

im goin to see CATS with a Monster Zero energy so I don't fall asleep in the recliner seating and witness every minute of the terror

That's the spirit! Let it soak your mind! The monsters aren't just in your can.

I had read they were distributing the patch last sunday but i don't think any revisions could remove the fever dream insanity of CATS, which is the important part.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

the patch changes almost nothing, there is no way three extra days of rendering time can fix what was released

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Hatebag posted:

I had read they were distributing the patch last sunday but i don't think any revisions could remove the fever dream insanity of CATS, which is the important part.
:haibrow:

duz posted:

the patch changes almost nothing, there is no way three extra days of rendering time can fix what was released
Thanks for this, this settles my mind somewhat. I was afraid I'd see some "fixed" version that would take away the beautiful brain-breaking magic.

I can't wait to come back all "CATS was awesome. Liberate tuteme ex inferis. Meow, meow. Purr!"

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

got to the theater half an hour early and everyone in nw Arkansas is goin to the movies.

there was an advert for Broadway Anastasia at the Walton Arts Center and now I feel like the bar for the terror has been raised

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

nothing reminds me that we’re living in a dystopia like corporate advertising that celebrates life and family.