Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

Samuringa posted:

Having options for how you're going to play is the best decision a dev can make in a game.

Subnautica shows how this doesn't always work out great. You can turn off the bad hunger and thirst mechanics, but then there are chunks of the tech tree that suddenly become dead weight because they were there to help produce food and water. If, for the sake of argument, we pretend that the inventory limitations were good and meaningful, well, they were tuned around you carrying around some cooked fish to eat, so the tuning is off if you don't need those. If the designers don't even know the rules of the game that you're playing by, it's much harder for them to design meaningful content.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

The only thing that is RNG in Subnautica is the placement of your emergency vessel. Everything else is static.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Found a dumb little flaw in MGSV - the button to stealthily flatten yourself into terrain while prone is the same one to pet D-Dog. Turns out the latter supercedes everything else if he happens to walk right in front of you just as you're trying to become invisible from a suspicious gunship that's currently investigating you. Dammit Boss, there's a searchlight right on you, now is not the time to jump up and pat your doggo!!! :arghfist::saddowns:

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

Triarii posted:

Subnautica shows how this doesn't always work out great. You can turn off the bad hunger and thirst mechanics, but then there are chunks of the tech tree that suddenly become dead weight because they were there to help produce food and water. If, for the sake of argument, we pretend that the inventory limitations were good and meaningful, well, they were tuned around you carrying around some cooked fish to eat, so the tuning is off if you don't need those. If the designers don't even know the rules of the game that you're playing by, it's much harder for them to design meaningful content.

I'm fine with doing it Celeste style, where the devs warn you tweaks may not adhere to the game's balance and vision but let you do it anyway.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

Captain Hygiene posted:

Found a dumb little flaw in MGSV - the button to stealthily flatten yourself into terrain while prone is the same one to pet D-Dog. Turns out the latter supercedes everything else if he happens to walk right in front of you just as you're trying to become invisible from a suspicious gunship that's currently investigating you. Dammit Boss, there's a searchlight right on you, now is not the time to jump up and pat your doggo!!! :arghfist::saddowns:

If I'm going to die, you better believe it's going to be while telling my dog he's a good boy

The Zombie Guy
Oct 25, 2008

Captain Hygiene posted:

Whatever the situational context may be, petting a dog should always overrule any other actions.
If Snake's cover is blown because he stopped to pet the dog, then goddamn it, things will just have to get done the messy way. Who's a good boy?

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Y'all make me want to replay MGS5 and I have enough other games I haven't finished I can't justify playing that again

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Update: Boss managed to pet the dog and take out the entire tank and gunship squadron without a scratch after all
:madmax::respek::dukedog:

Complaint rescinded, and apologies for suggesting that dog pats should not receive the highest priority at all times

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Zinkraptor posted:

It's worth keeping in mind that none of the stages are actually remakes, they're just have visuals based on old stages. The level design is completely different (and much bigger and more complex), so all of that is new as well. That said, the studiopolis act 1 boss is absolutely horrible, yeah. A lot of the bosses are. Personally, for me, it's the first 2D Genesis-style Sonic game I've really enjoyed, but it does have a few bullshit parts that can ruin it for some.

Edit: Here's a thing dragging the game down - the Stardust Speedway Act 2 boss was so bad it made me want to stop playing. Apparently it's been changed but I don't know how so maybe it's better, I dunno.

You're not wrong, but the stages like green hill zone and chemical plant zone include huge segments lifted straight from the original stage that make them feel a lot more playable, whereas every wholly original stage seems to like, have no real direction to it. It's really weird to be playing a sonic game and realize halfway through a stage that you've been playing a sonic level for five minutes, you're still playing that same sonic level and you don't know where you're going because rather than going to the right like every other sonic level, Mania's stages just love curling in on themselves in great looping spirals constantly, so while one jump can make you skip 90% of the stage and take you to the boss in one minute, missing that jump means you're subjected to minutes of just on-rails watching sonic roll around almost completely out of your control.

Also, something I noticed is that half of Starlight Speedway act 1 is basically a homage to marble garden zone, mechanically speaking. The entire game is basically "Remember this from Sonic?" The Game. Which is probably the point, though. But I feel it kind of loses its self after a while because the stages don't feel very fun, and the bosses mostly aren't fun, but boy howdy do they cram in every single possible obscure sonic reference they can.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum

The Bee posted:

I'm fine with doing it Celeste style, where the devs warn you tweaks may not adhere to the game's balance and vision but let you do it anyway.

Pathologic 2, brutally hard to the point of being nearly intentionally unfair, has 3 difficulties, Medium, Hard and Intended.

If you turn it down, it's fine, but if you turn it back up to Intended you get a little golf clap :3:

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Something that just hit me about Resident Evil 7 - how the gently caress did the cameraman get got by the nail balloon? It would have been unusually heavy and very obvious to the touch what was going on there, and even filling it with gas wouldn't make it bulge like a pufferfish, nails are heavy and would have surely just been forced to the bottom of the balloon. Also as soon as you see the points, TAKE IT OFF THE loving PIPE!

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

The Moon Monster posted:

The amount of grinding required to get the "unlock all skills" achievement in Sekiro is ridiculous. I need 24 more points, and Genichiro in NG+++ is worth abvout 2/3s of one point. No idea why they decided to make the leveling curve so harsh.

There’s a section of enemies near the endgame that are all worth a large amount of exp who are all facing away from you if you warp to a certain point. You can run the course backstabbing a bunch of fools for a few thousand exp every few minutes if you keep warping back. It’s still an unnecessarily massive grind, but way faster than fighting bosses

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Kit Walker posted:

There’s a section of enemies near the endgame that are all worth a large amount of exp who are all facing away from you if you warp to a certain point. You can run the course backstabbing a bunch of fools for a few thousand exp every few minutes if you keep warping back. It’s still an unnecessarily massive grind, but way faster than fighting bosses

Are you talking about those ministry gunmen on the castle stairs? If so I think they must have nerfed that since they're actually worth less exp than those lovely ashigaru you fight in the first few areas.

I think the best place I've found is that area in fountainhead palace with all the flute guys.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

The Moon Monster posted:

I think the best place I've found is that area in fountainhead palace with all the flute guys.
Yeah that's the part I used. Also make sure to have the Devil's Jingle playing or whatever

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

The Moon Monster posted:

Are you talking about those ministry gunmen on the castle stairs? If so I think they must have nerfed that since they're actually worth less exp than those lovely ashigaru you fight in the first few areas.

Hm, might’ve changed since I played. It’s a slog either way. Put on a podcast and get to murderin’, lol

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Dragon Quest 11 Definitive Edition:

Being able to switch appearances to match costumes without it affecting your stats is great, it's a great step forward for the series! The only downside is they don't let you pick the default one as an option if you want to.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

BioEnchanted posted:

Something that just hit me about Resident Evil 7 - how the gently caress did the cameraman get got by the nail balloon? It would have been unusually heavy and very obvious to the touch what was going on there, and even filling it with gas wouldn't make it bulge like a pufferfish, nails are heavy and would have surely just been forced to the bottom of the balloon. Also as soon as you see the points, TAKE IT OFF THE loving PIPE!

This exact thing bugged me a lot too but I decided to just shrug and handwave it as something the trap-maker specifically invented - he did win a bunch of inventing competitions if you check his trophy shelves. The weight wouldn’t necessarily be a tell, though, since it’s obviously a puzzle element.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

For a game with some of the worst jumping physics I've ever experienced, the 2013 Rise of the Triad remake sure expects me to do a lot of platforming over instant death pits.

Eclipse12
Feb 20, 2008

What's dragging down Bloodstained is that of course all the women, protagonist included, have to be wank-material for no reason at all. As a dude, I have no problem with playing as a woman, but this poo poo's embarrassing. I hate having to pick between playing a well-regarded game and not wanting to be a character who runs around in fetish wear.

Eclipse12
Feb 20, 2008

This new armor gives me +3 Tiddy Strength and extra damage when I'm using AssAssAss Sword Stance.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Can't say I ever got that impression while playing Bloodstained.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
Having a cleavage is fetish wear, I guess.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Unless we're counting demons, Miriam and Dominique come to closest to....fetish wear, and then not really. I mean, unless short skirts and tight bodysuit like stuff is fetish wear to you? The female NPCs in the town area are all pretty much covered, and even the majority of the female bodied demons are wearing things close to leotards and the like.

Sure, it's sexualized, but fetish wear? Really?

ETA: Castlevania Judgement is the most fetish-y looking game Iga has been involved with. Bloodstained doesn't have anything on that one, and there it was primarily the guys.

AngryRobotsInc has a new favorite as of 01:20 on Dec 26, 2019

Eclipse12
Feb 20, 2008

Well, call it whatever term you like, but it's still pretty :rolleyes:

I dunno, I guess I just get tired of unnecessarily skimpy clothes.

Eclipse12
Feb 20, 2008

Like, I know on the scale of Embarrassing Anime Girls it's pretty tame, but that's not saying much. Even the church lady shop owner is dressed more modestly but still has huge boobs.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
Xen came out for the fan-made update to Black Mesa, and it is amazing... but man alive you can tell the developers never bothered to listen to some of Valve's commentary and how to get player's attention and/or guiding players towards things. I've had my share of times being completely gobsmacked as to how to proceed from a setpiece. When I finally find the solution, it is invaribly me stumbling into it and not because of something that the game steered me towards.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

exquisite tea posted:

Can't say I ever got that impression while playing Bloodstained.

I didn't at first but then I killed something and it dropped a stone mask that actually showed up on the model and I still can't stop sweating thinking about it.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

RareAcumen posted:

I didn't at first but then I killed something and it dropped a stone mask that actually showed up on the model and I still can't stop sweating thinking about it.

Make sure you idle for a few seconds while holding up on the d-pad next time.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Samuringa posted:

Just like real life.

Who knew the gta games would be the series that emulated the true tenets of capitalism?

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Outer Wilds: Mixing up platforming from the Xen part of Half-Life with the time-limit from Majora just isn't fun. There really should have been some quick-save option because failing at the Sun Station and Interloper more than once is infuriating because it takes eight minutes to retry.

Inspector Gesicht has a new favorite as of 21:40 on Dec 27, 2019

moosecow333
Mar 15, 2007

Super-Duper Supermen!
Sid Meires Pirates has a feature where you can sack towns for gold. If you sack a town enough you get the option to take over the town for one of the national powers (English, French, etc). The issue is the game doesn’t allow you to take them over for yourself which seems like a no brainer for a pirate game.

Also the game heavily uses the numpad to control things one of which brings up the work map by pressing 3. The issue is that pressing 3 again does not return to gameplay but redirects you to a different part of the meus making backing out pretty annoying.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Outer Wilds: As someone who with over 300 hours in Dark Souls 2: SOTFS I can say that the tunnel full of giant anglerfish is bullshit.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Outer Wilds: As someone who with over 300 hours in Dark Souls 2: SOTFS I can say that the tunnel full of giant anglerfish is bullshit.

Are you talking about the bunch through the third(?) bramble you fly through? That parts the easiest, you just cut your engine and drift pass everything.

Radio Paranoia
Jun 27, 2010

It is now safe to turn off your computer.

Eclipse12 posted:

What's dragging down Bloodstained is that of course all the women, protagonist included, have to be wank-material for no reason at all. As a dude, I have no problem with playing as a woman, but this poo poo's embarrassing. I hate having to pick between playing a well-regarded game and not wanting to be a character who runs around in fetish wear.

This mindset put me off playing Bayonetta for ages; and when I finally got around to it I realised what an fool I was. There are WAY worse, objectifying games out there. Don't let the director's Horny eclipse an otherwise good game.

OutOfPrint
Apr 9, 2009

Fun Shoe

Radio Paranoia posted:

This mindset put me off playing Bayonetta for ages; and when I finally got around to it I realised what an fool I was. There are WAY worse, objectifying games out there. Don't let the director's Horny eclipse an otherwise good game.

Bayonetta's horniness reminds me of why British censors let Peter Jackson's Braindead/ Dead Alive through without censorship: the gore and violence was so over the top, no one could possibly take it seriously. Bayonetta's horniness is so over the top that it blows past horny and lands smack in the middle of goofy.

Games that have weird, out of place stuff are more embarrassing to me. Vagrant Story is a solid Vanillaware style beat 'em up, but every woman in the game has massive tits for the sake of showing off massive tits. The game doesn't mention it, nor does it give a reason why. Just, tits.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Bayonetta's hyper-feminized appearance is thematically consistent and connects with every element of the gameplay, which is way different than just slapping a big ole pair of tits on everyone.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

OutOfPrint posted:

Bayonetta's horniness reminds me of why British censors let Peter Jackson's Braindead/ Dead Alive through without censorship: the gore and violence was so over the top, no one could possibly take it seriously. Bayonetta's horniness is so over the top that it blows past horny and lands smack in the middle of goofy.

Games that have weird, out of place stuff are more embarrassing to me. Vagrant Story is a solid Vanillaware style beat 'em up, but every woman in the game has massive tits for the sake of showing off massive tits. The game doesn't mention it, nor does it give a reason why. Just, tits.

Is there some other game out there named Vagrant Story besides the Square one because I don't remember any of the few women characters being all that unusually sized in the chest. It's also the game where Ashley is running around with just about his entire rear end hanging out, and Sydney's...whole outfit. So even if it is the same game, whatever sexualization there is of the ladies, it's not like the men don't get in on that as well.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
This mission in GTA 3 (Grant Theft Aero, which is at least a cute name) where you have to drive to the airport, kill a bunch of cartel, then go to the construction site to do the same is a nightmare due to the terrible controls. Shooting in this game is so bad, by the time the camera is facing the right way for the lock on to work, I've lost my armour and I'm down to 15 health, and that's just entering the enclosed part of the site.

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

AngryRobotsInc posted:

Is there some other game out there named Vagrant Story besides the Square one because I don't remember any of the few women characters being all that unusually sized in the chest. It's also the game where Ashley is running around with just about his entire rear end hanging out, and Sydney's...whole outfit. So even if it is the same game, whatever sexualization there is of the ladies, it's not like the men don't get in on that as well.

it sounds like they mean dragon's crown

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OutOfPrint
Apr 9, 2009

Fun Shoe

AngryRobotsInc posted:

poo poo, you're right, I meant The Vagrant. I always get the names confused.