Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
the only actually funny thing in the entire movie is kyle shrugging at the knights when a lightsaber appears out of fuckin' nowhere during the middle of their fight

just a "welp bad luck guys here i come"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
Merch is probably pretty lucrative, and there's Star Wars stuff at theme parks and such, though in those cases how much of a draw Star Wars specifically is may be ambiguous. But then that's common with big companies, how much does Microsoft make from Gamepass when they're practically giving it away? The point isn't really to profit, it's to dominate the entire entertainment ecosystem. Whether Star Wars "pays for itself" isn't really relevant, what's relevant is that if you want Star Wars then you go Disney or go home

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Dietrich posted:

I'm pretty sure it has paid for itself. 2 billion for force awakens, 1 billion for rogue one, 1.3 billion for last Jedi, 400 million for solo. Rise is at 374M already globally. They bought it for 4 billion.

And don't forget...

Making movies costs a lot of money. Isn't there a graph out there detailing how Disney is still in the hole on Star Wars?

Also, haven't merch sales been declining for a while now?

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Pollyanna posted:

Making movies costs a lot of money. Isn't there a graph out there detailing how Disney is still in the hole on Star Wars?

Also, haven't merch sales been declining for a while now?

Supposedly they've been in the black since at least last year. Even if merch sales are down, they've still sold billions of it. Then there's all the home media stuff, and tv shows, and licensing, etc. Don't cry for Disney.

Dietrich
Sep 11, 2001

Horizon Burning posted:

gentle goon, you need to pay money to make movies

Yeah like 125-175M a pop. They were at 4.7B gross before rise came out. 4.7 - 600M = 4.1, and they spent 4.05 on the acquisition. Plus merchandising.

I mean the point is just that they've pretty much paid for themselves now. Not that it's some sort of runaway success.

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

There is zero goddamn actual chance that in terms of real money that has come in, that Disney isn't profiting off Star Wars fantastically. The sheer blitz of crap to buy leading up to Force Awakens alone probably covered a lot of the purchase.

Also let's not forget they didn't buy Star Wars, they bought the entire Lucasfilm Ltd. company, which includes the most well-known FX studio on the planet and one of the best post-production and mastering suites in the world with THX and Skywalker Sound, which other studios and production companies and corporations and whatnot pay to use.

This isn't like when they bought a whole other studio and spent $70+ billion to do it and won't be seeing profitability on that purchase for like a decade; they got a real sweet deal for George's entire little empire. The only thing I think George was like "no, that stays with me" is the literal land ownership of Skywalker Ranch and the acres around it he bought way back when he built the complex, and now Disney just pays rent to him to keep the companies they now own where they're comfortable.

Now, what's on the books might tell a different story because at least a couple of those marketing partners might have ponied up some cash and has some back-end money that would be owed to them if it existed, so let's just take that money and drop it in this precariously deep Mars Needs Moms! hole and pretend that it never existed.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Combat Pretzel posted:

Yeah, but China.

also, at least 50% of our own non-racist country

there's a reason you don't see many films in general that have black male/white female romantic leads.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I AM THE SPY!!!

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

Atrocious Joe posted:

Even if changes were made because of assumptions about the Chinese market, then the blame still falls on Disney's execs racist assumptions about Chinese people.
I thought this running on egg shells is more about avoiding China getting a poo poo fit and banning your movie, because they don't like what they see. That or butchering it with their own edits.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

2house2fly posted:

Merch is probably pretty lucrative

I think this may be the cined understatement of the century.

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?
does no one remember the "little white cuck-ball" thing

there is absolutely a contingent of nerds that would have got mad on twitter about an interracial relationship happening in their star wars, and a contingent of nerds getting mad on twitter is a clear factor in some of the decisions this movie made

also yeah the kylo shrug was the funniest moment of the film

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

Mr Interweb posted:

also, at least 50% of our own non-racist country

there's a reason you don't see many films in general that have black male/white female romantic leads.

I did find the "Men of Color/White Woman" wording to be a bit of a weaseling out of the fact that actual African-American and white woman romantic pairings in movies are confined usually to indie cinema and, more recently, streaming services - and the vast majority of MoC/WW pairings in what's more mainstream, 3000+ screen openers ends up being pretty much everyone besides black men.

I'm pretty sure Will Smith's white love interests in movies goes about as far as Charlize Theron in Hancock, Margot Robbie in Focus, and Dawn Olivieri in Bright. In a thirty year long career. Only two of those are big studio releases, and only one was positioned as a tentpole film the way a Star Wars would be.

Maybe it's better on TV, I don't know.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

I don’t have a summation of it but it does feel weird that Finn instantly had the best connection (and by far the most lines with) the two other black characters as soon as they’re introduced. Ackie barely spoke to the others. I don’t know what it means but it’s definitely something to think on.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 23 hours!

well why not posted:

I think this may be the cined understatement of the century.

Merch CAN be lucrative, but it has to actually move off the shelves. i do not have the slightest idea if that has been true of the sequel stuff.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

I got the distinct impression Ray and Finn were into each other in the first movie. This was apparently deemed too controversial because boy howdy did RJ stop that poo poo in his movie and instead created Rose, a non-white romantic interest for FN then did absolutely nothing with him, and meanwhile had Ray make flirty faces with the white fascist who deep down is totally a good person, honest.

Like, they literally hooked her up with the neo-nazi kid instead of the black guy. It's rather disturbing tbh. And it's not like Ray and FN didn't have good chemistry together.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Let's talk about good Star Wars stuff that isn't the sequels. Despite the garbage that is Rise of Skywalker, I still want to like this franchise. I'm already watching Mandalorian, but that's ending soon (the first season, I mean). I heard that Rebels is good?

Are there still new books coming out? I thought that the old extended universe stuff got decanonized/memory holed by Disney, are they still adding stuff to it or has it been effectively banned?

Raccooon
Dec 5, 2009

Thinking about how much Adam Driver carried this trilogy.

A bold choice would have been that he is the lead from the beginning. He is evil in the first movie. Luke turns him back in the second and he kills Palpatine/Snoke in the third movie.

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

JUST FUCKING TAKE OFF ALREADY, SHIT

kidkissinger posted:

Merch CAN be lucrative, but it has to actually move off the shelves. i do not have the slightest idea if that has been true of the sequel stuff.

I was at Target a few days ago and back when TFA was out, it was a full aisle of Star Wars stuff. When I went, it was barely half of one side of an aisle, if that. A lot of it was just combo packs of the droids, and no new toys. A lot of toys were still on the shelves.

I think the problem with TROS for a toy line is that there’s nothing really marketable that has t already been done. No real new characters, no new ships, and no cool locales to turn into play sets.

I play X-Wing: Miniatures Game and I know that there will most likely be the TIE Dagger but I don’t know what else will come into play. All the other ships have already been out before.

I get that toys can be seen as just a way to capture more money, but for younger fans, it helps fuel an imagination and adventure with their friends.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

McCloud posted:

I got the distinct impression Ray and Finn were into each other in the first movie. This was apparently deemed too controversial because boy howdy did RJ stop that poo poo in his movie and instead created Rose, a non-white romantic interest for FN then did absolutely nothing with him, and meanwhile had Ray make flirty faces with the white fascist who deep down is totally a good person, honest.

Like, they literally hooked her up with the neo-nazi kid instead of the black guy. It's rather disturbing tbh. And it's not like Ray and FN didn't have good chemistry together.

I think you may be misremembering The Last Jedi. Rey actually didn't hook up with Kylo Ren, and in fact by the end of the film he was actively trying to kill her.

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

kidkissinger posted:

I assume the Rey stuff moved the first time around, because there was that big brouhaha when Disney('s toy licensing partner for Star Wars) made and shipped shitton of Kylo Ren toys, and Rey was hard to find because they sent out like, a tenth the amount if not even less and had to scramble to end a PR nightmare and push what seemed to be a wanted thing. Not that it specifically has to be sequel movie toy sales that count; they bought ALL of Star Wars, so whatever George was getting off OT and PT merch sales just went to Disney.

Anyway, unrelated, I'm going to just have a little headcanon in my mind that the whole Rey Palpatine thing came around because JJ got a note saying "can we make Rey a princess somehow?" and he went "... gently caress, there's only one Emperor, only way this'll work and mean anything is if we go that route". I mean, she's technically a princess as his only living next of kin, right?

McCloud posted:

The "I don't know your name" scene, which is tonally not too far from the Super 8 train station scene (that is interrupted by a TRAIN CRASHING) ends with a huge plume of steam shooting out of the floor as Finn is about to "come clean" with who he is. JJ ain't a subtle filmmaker. The escape from Jakku shows them being a preternaturally synced team, they're filled with excitement as they reach the safety of space, and as they calm down, there's a quiet, cozy theme that plays as they tell each other their names (and they take a beat on each one's face before and afterwards, which is pretty meaningful when cuts can be quite imperative all the way down to 1/24th of a second).

I don't even want to point out that, if you consider there was a version of this movie once where Poe was to die crashing on Jakku, that Rey, Finn, and the BB become a makeshift family in that situation, adopting Poe's now-abandoned "child".

The Cameo fucked around with this message at 06:28 on Dec 26, 2019

Raccooon
Dec 5, 2009

2house2fly posted:

I think you may be misremembering The Last Jedi. Rey actually didn't hook up with Kylo Ren, and in fact by the end of the film he was actively trying to kill her.

Getting that My Favorite Murder audience

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Pollyanna posted:

I AM THE SPY!!!

Honestly, that was one of the best scenes in the movie. Of course Hux is rear end in a top hat petty enough to do that.

Pollyanna posted:

Let's talk about good Star Wars stuff that isn't the sequels. Despite the garbage that is Rise of Skywalker, I still want to like this franchise. I'm already watching Mandalorian, but that's ending soon (the first season, I mean). I heard that Rebels is good?

Are there still new books coming out? I thought that the old extended universe stuff got decanonized/memory holed by Disney, are they still adding stuff to it or has it been effectively banned?

SW: Rebels is pretty good. It took me a little while to get into it, and I missed the first season entirely because my initial take was, "Oh. A bunch of characters in the Rebellion that we already know the ending to. And one of them's a Jedi. Nope, don't care."

But then I tuned into the two-episode introduction to the second season. And Darth Vader shows up. And he is, if anything, scarier than he was in the original trilogy because he isn't blood-related to any of these poor bastards. After Anakin being a whiny, emo poo poo in the prequels, SW:Rebels finally gave us badass Vader. Hell, that was the moment I became cool with Disney getting Star Wars. I might revise that opinion based on the movies, but I'm reserving judgement until at least Season Two of The Mandalorian.

Also, in the third and fourth seasons, we get Grand Admiral Thrawn as voiced by Lars Mikkleson and it was gooooood.

Everyone fucked around with this message at 05:50 on Dec 26, 2019

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

the fight on the death star ruins was interesting to me because theres actually somewhat of a story there. theres rey going all berserk while kylo stays on the defensive and lets her wear herself out and it reflects their mindsets at the time. also i noticed that kylo was dodging out of the way of the lightsaber like luke did in the last movie but i dont know what to make of that, i guess it shows he learns from his mistakes or something. i dont think the actual fight was very good though. it felt like there were too many cuts and close up shots so you couldnt really see the choreography

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

2house2fly posted:

There was clear sexual tension between the two. Crystal. Clear.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Like The Cameo says, there's a chaste kind of attraction between FRay.
But in TLj it's purely sexual energy, primal forbidden attraction.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

So having witnessed it myself, it's worse than I thought.

The movie was paced abysmally, the plot is beyond stupid, the music is just John William's greatest hits with no new music or anything that stands out, and the only good thing is the acting. The middle approached decent, when the pace slows and it's just Poe, Finn, and Rey and Kylo. The highlight was going to the Death Star wreckage. And then the ending happens and I don't know whether to laugh or face palm. It goes full anime in the worst way, and it's not even consistent in it's nonsense. It's just unimaginably dumb.

Also it's a crime that there is not a single memorable shot from this film, the cinematography is absolutely pedestrian. Like at least in TFA I thought there were some well done sequences or shots, to say nothing of TLJ. Just a total shame.

The actors all did a great job and deserved so much better than they got. I'm glad they are getting out of this dumpster fire while they can.

On topic I don't think Finn and Rey had much chemistry in TFA though the writing seemed to imply they did. Who Finn had chemistry with was Poe and the movies suffered from denying their love. :colbert:

Raccooon
Dec 5, 2009

cuntman.net posted:

the fight on the death star ruins was interesting to me because theres actually somewhat of a story there. theres rey going all berserk while kylo stays on the defensive and lets her wear herself out and it reflects their mindsets at the time. also i noticed that kylo was dodging out of the way of the lightsaber like luke did in the last movie but i dont know what to make of that, i guess it shows he learns from his mistakes or something. i dont think the actual fight was very good though. it felt like there were too many cuts and close up shots so you couldnt really see the choreography

Honestly that was the best part of the movie. It actually cemented that Kylo was a real threat and Rey only wins because of matricide.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is

cuntman.net posted:

i thought it was implying that he wasn't actually there and that it was another 'force dyad' fight like on the star destroyer, but then he actually was and also his ship with one of the two Most Important Things In The Galaxy was there

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

its incredible to me that like here are all these "stars" and yet ian mcdiarmid, who has been in *checks notes* literally nothing else at age 75, is the only worthwhile actor in the whole thing

the cackling, slithering palpatine moments nearly make up for the rest of the characters being whiny mannequins

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

its incredible to me that like here are all these "stars" and yet ian mcdiarmid, who has been in *checks notes* literally nothing else at age 75, is the only worthwhile actor in the whole thing

the cackling, slithering palpatine moments nearly make up for the rest of the characters being whiny mannequins

A literal cartoon supervillain grandfathered in is the only way you get a character who's allowed to have a coherent personality

olives black
Nov 24, 2017

LENIN.
STILL.
WON'T.
FUCK.
ME.

McCloud posted:

Luke Skywalker kept slaves.

olives black fucked around with this message at 11:40 on Dec 26, 2019

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

I rarely go into the field, motherfucker.

Eimi posted:

So having witnessed it myself, it's worse than I thought.

The movie was paced abysmally, the plot is beyond stupid, the music is just John William's greatest hits with no new music or anything that stands out, and the only good thing is the acting. The middle approached decent, when the pace slows and it's just Poe, Finn, and Rey and Kylo. The highlight was going to the Death Star wreckage. And then the ending happens and I don't know whether to laugh or face palm. It goes full anime in the worst way, and it's not even consistent in it's nonsense. It's just unimaginably dumb.

Also it's a crime that there is not a single memorable shot from this film, the cinematography is absolutely pedestrian. Like at least in TFA I thought there were some well done sequences or shots, to say nothing of TLJ. Just a total shame.

The actors all did a great job and deserved so much better than they got. I'm glad they are getting out of this dumpster fire while they can.

On topic I don't think Finn and Rey had much chemistry in TFA though the writing seemed to imply they did. Who Finn had chemistry with was Poe and the movies suffered from denying their love. :colbert:

I switched off for this trilogy after TLJ but one of the few things I was looking forward to was Finn and Poe hanging out again, they had good chemistry in TFA, but instead they just bitch at each other this entire movie, the only good moment with them was the "General", "General" scene.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

He's a stage actor most of the time. That's why he's so wonderfully ott.

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.
What I wonder is where Palpatine got the resources to build like 10,000 Star Destroyers. I understand how you do it if your're the Empire and can take whatever you want from anywhere in the galaxy, but how do you do it if you're trapped on one planet for 30 years? I'm imagining a phone call like:

"Hello, thank you for calling Hutt Galactic Metal Supplies, we put the tongue in tungsten, how may I help you?

You want to order 5.3 quadrillion tons of steel? That's quite a large order, sir, but we can fill it. However it will take some time.

Sir? Sir..... yes sir, I understand you need the material quickly... Sir. Please sir, I am merely saying that an order of this size cannot be filled immediately. Yes, sir, thank you.

Now, may I have your name? 'Veesh Platanipe'? Could you spell that for me sir? Thank you. Now, can we discuss terms of payment? Sir? ... No, sir, we really *do* need to discuss terms of payment. Very well sir, give me the card number."

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

I rarely go into the field, motherfucker.

Presto posted:

What I wonder is where Palpatine got the resources to build like 10,000 Star Destroyers. I understand how you do it if your're the Empire and can take whatever you want from anywhere in the galaxy, but how do you do it if you're trapped on one planet for 30 years? I'm imagining a phone call like:

"Hello, thank you for calling Hutt Galactic Metal Supplies, we put the tongue in tungsten, how may I help you?

You want to order 5.3 quadrillion tons of steel? That's quite a large order, sir, but we can fill it. However it will take some time.

Sir? Sir..... yes sir, I understand you need the material quickly... Sir. Please sir, I am merely saying that an order of this size cannot be filled immediately. Yes, sir, thank you.

Now, may I have your name? 'Veesh Platanipe'? Could you spell that for me sir? Thank you. Now, can we discuss terms of payment? Sir? ... No, sir, we really *do* need to discuss terms of payment. Very well sir, give me the card number."

Maybe another huge convenient chunk of the Death Star landed on planet Xtacle

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Even with the First Order they implied they conquered and looted unexplored regions of the galaxy with leftover Imperial hardware to build up their forces. Still, GI Joe literally puts in more effort to explain Cobra.

nemesis_hub
Nov 27, 2006

So yeah it’s pretty clear that Disney has made their money back, but you can also take the larger view and see that by not giving a poo poo about artistic integrity, yes Disney ended up making money anyway, but in the long run they have probably inadvertently helped reduce the aura of specialness that Star Wars had, and so maybe it wasn’t a good strategy after all. But that’s still consistent with how capitalism works: the pursuit of short run profit above all eventually threatens the integrity of the system itself. Capitalism killed Star Wars.

And this is totally on topic as the idea of self undermining systems is part of Star Wars: the Republic in the PT, the Empire and it’s arrogance with the Death Star (retconned by Rogue One to the actions of an exceptional individual as someone pointed out).

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Pollyanna posted:

I AM THE SPY!!!

Unironically the best line delivery in the trilogy.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Pollyanna posted:

I AM THE SPY!!!

Picturing this as the TF2 Spy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Picturing this as the TF2 Spy