Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

spanky the dolphin
Sep 3, 2006

I hadn’t actually updated my beta and realised you’d already swapped the icons! Nice!

Hey I think we need some copy changes to the menus, they’re a bit unclear in places. Mark unread sometimes displays as just mark, and there are a few different wordings for what should essentially be the same thing.

Here’s what I think could work better:

Poster menu
PM - Message

... menu
Share URL - Share
Mark Read - Read

🍔 menu
Copy URL - Share (can this be changed so it brings up the share sheet?)

Forum thread menu
Link - Share (can this be changed so it brings up the share sheet?)
Mark Unread - Unread

Also when you edit your own post and preview it it should say ‘Edit Preview’ instead of Save the top off the screen.

Finally the Poster hosed around with this... text for an edited post should be dim, small and non-italicised. The same look as the poster join date.

spanky the dolphin fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Dec 23, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde

spanky the dolphin posted:

I hadn’t actually updated my beta and realised you’d already swapped the icons! Nice!

Hey I think we need some copy changes to the menus, they’re a bit unclear in places. Mark unread sometimes displays as just mark, and there are a few different wordings for what should essentially be the same thing.

Here’s what I think could work better:

Poster menu
PM - Message

... menu
Share URL - Share
Mark Read - Read

🍔 menu
Copy URL - Share (can this be changed so it brings up the share sheet?)

Forum thread menu
Link - Share (can this be changed so it brings up the share sheet?)
Mark Unread - Unread

Also when you edit your own post and preview it it should say ‘Edit Preview’ instead of Save the top off the screen.

Finally the Poster hosed around with this... text for an edited post should be dim, small and non-italicised. The same look as the poster join date.

I prefer Mark Read and Mark Unread because Mark is the action

Just having Read and Unread suggests those are verbs

spanky the dolphin
Sep 3, 2006

I think it's easy to get it mixed up with bookmark and unmark. There's too much mark! Also, sometimes the second line of text cuts off mark read and makes it just mark.

The feature was originally known as last read, it could be that? last read and unread.

e: actually mark unread is the problem one that shifts to two lines. It could be Mark Read and Unread.

spanky the dolphin fucked around with this message at 02:35 on Dec 25, 2019

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Red_Fred posted:

Ben meaning you come here to say a big thank you to the developers! This is probably my most used app on my phone and it’s super solid and reliable.

This but it crashes all the time

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Snowy posted:

This but it crashes all the time

I can’t remember the last time it crashed for me :shrug:

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

MarcusSA posted:

I can’t remember the last time it crashed for me :shrug:

Same. I use it all the time on my iPad Pro and on my XS MAAAXXX.

I have had times where the Awful Browser lives up to its name and just stopped working and I’ve had to redirect links to Safari (although that seems to have been fixed), but I can’t remember the last time the main part of the app crashed.

Bean
Sep 9, 2001
I asked this in a totally unrelated thread but I wanted to bring it here because there it’s off topic

I’m on iOS. I can’t figure out how to post pictures in the app. Someone else posted a screen shot, oh it’s easy, tap here, but my Awful app looks nothing like his.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

Automatic theme change with system (with system set to change with sunrise/set) seems to have a screw or two loose. Only a small one though; this only happens on loading up the app in the morning. After refreshing or page changing or going back to forum or bookmark view everything catches up.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Bean posted:

I asked this in a totally unrelated thread but I wanted to bring it here because there it’s off topic

I’m on iOS. I can’t figure out how to post pictures in the app. Someone else posted a screen shot, oh it’s easy, tap here, but my Awful app looks nothing like his.

What does it look like? We can direct you better if we know what you’re looking at.

Fedule posted:

Automatic theme change with system (with system set to change with sunrise/set) seems to have a screw or two loose. Only a small one though; this only happens on loading up the app in the morning. After refreshing or page changing or going back to forum or bookmark view everything catches up.

Known issue, but I haven’t been able to figure out what it is. It’s gotta have something to do with the way the web view is restored from disk vs the rest of the UI, perhaps there’s a way to give the web view a kick.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

I’ve noticed that embedded tweets from people with obnoxiously long Twitter names can cause horizontal scrolling. Ive traces it down in the inspector and it is the name within the embedded tweet for sure. I’ve tried updating the widgets.js but it persists. Example: https://twitter.com/JennyENicholson/status/1210033941362536448

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
Does anyone else have issues using trying to jump to the last post when you look at a user's post history in a thread? Whenever I pick it in the page menu it jumps me to the last page of the entire thread. Selecting any other page is fine.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Does anyone else have issues using trying to jump to the last post when you look at a user's post history in a thread? Whenever I pick it in the page menu it jumps me to the last page of the entire thread. Selecting any other page is fine.

Yep, it has happened that way for me since I started using it in February and I always forget to report the problem here.

Grace Baiting
Jul 20, 2012

Audi famam illius;
Cucurrit quaeque
Tetigit destruens.

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Midjack posted:

Yep, it has happened that way for me since I started using it in February and I always forget to report the problem here.
Same here!

Unrelated to the above, here is a testing link for myself

e: well example.com doesn't work for this. But while reading another thread, I was able to reproduce the "invisible scroll thumbs" problem that I've been intermittently complaining about, using this link: "Designer Diary: Black Angel"

If I clicked the link and on the target webpage I then zoomed in ~125+%, then when I returned to the thread (by swiping back, not sure if tapping the "Done" button works the same), the thread's scrollthumbs would be black (and therefore almost invisible on my Dark Mode colorscheme) and Awful would also forget my location on the page, instead jumping me back to the topmost shown post.

Key points:
• Tapping a link (and therefore spawning a new webview); already known, although p sure I've seen it happen between SA threads all within the Awful app, without needing to go to an external website at all
• Target page must exceed some threshold for size, complexity, and/or mb rendered image buffer size(???); semi-new -- I suspected this since I've previously always talked about "evicting the Awful app from memory" as being the cause, but I think the example.com link above provides some extra support for this idea
• Zoom in on the target page!

The zooming might just be a form of increasing the page's memory requirements (if the webview caches all the rendered zoom levels -- perhaps the link above just happens to be a little below the pagesize threshold to immediately cause this issue, and zooming pushes it over that threshold), so maybe this is still a memory thing. And if so I'd expect it would be device-dependent!

iPhone 8+, iOS 13.1.2, Awful 3.63 (App Store version)

e2: well it's not reproducing for me on this thread now :sweatdrop: the exact circumstances I was able to reproduce this were as follows:

On a related note, when I preview my posts/edits, the scrollthumb seems to always be (mostly?) invisible, regardless of my Dark Mode settings.

e3: when I follow my own procedure above, i.e. clicking on that Boardgames thread from this Awful App thread (rather than from my bookmarks), I'm now getting the scrollthumbs going invisible while preserving my scroll location.

However the first time I opened the other thread from here, it flickered and reset the scroll location to the top instead (which I've seen before as well); I swiped back to this very Awful App thread post and reopened the other thread and it actually got the scroll location right this time. And then it kept remembering the scroll location even after making the scrollthumbs invisible.

Grace Baiting fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Dec 27, 2019

Bean
Sep 9, 2001

carry on then posted:

What does it look like? We can direct you better if we know what you’re looking at.

So here is his screenshot:

But my screen looks like this

If I tap the upper right icon, the pencil, I just get this, no cool options

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

He has the Android app, you have the iOS app. They're different.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

Yeah, I'm not sure where you got that screenshot, but it is from the Android app. You'll want to tap the text entry cursor so the little popup menu appears, tap "img" and then "From Library". It'll upload the image you select to imgur, but since we're at the end of the month it's possible that won't work. Some people have a shortcut that uploads outside of Awful and gets you the embed code to post, in that case.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

carry on then posted:

Yeah, I'm not sure where you got that screenshot, but it is from the Android app. You'll want to tap the text entry cursor so the little popup menu appears, tap "img" and then "From Library". It'll upload the image you select to imgur, but since we're at the end of the month it's possible that won't work. Some people have a shortcut that uploads outside of Awful and gets you the embed code to post, in that case.

I didn’t know about the end of the month thing! I was wondering why it just seemed to oddly crap out for a few days and work normally afterwards.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
Please make new fyad, forumid 666, pink on the phone. Also it should disable autocorrect just like the old one. TY

EDIT: Made an issue here and worded it better:
https://github.com/Awful/Awful.app/issues/969

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Bean posted:

The current implementation tends to break/explode due to reasons beyond the app’s control. I believe some folks have shared a iOS Shortcut automation up thread you could leverage.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

Warbird posted:

The current implementation tends to break/explode due to reasons beyond the app’s control. I believe some folks have shared a iOS Shortcut automation up thread you could leverage.

If I remember what pokeyman posted a long time ago, all the uploads use a shared API key that hits an imgur monthly limit.

e: pushed a commit to update the FYAD settings to point to the new forumid. If someone who builds from master wouldn't mind testing to make sure it works out of the box that'd be great.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

carry on then posted:

If I remember what pokeyman posted a long time ago, all the uploads use a shared API key that hits an imgur monthly limit.

Yeah. The limit is currently 10000 images per month.

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost

carry on then posted:

You get a bigger upload limit if users log in, but setting up that flow... sucks. :lol:

If nothing else, coming up with a better error message for what that happens would be nice. I might be able to look at that at some point, since that plus uploads from the camera failing annoy the crap out of me.

Bean
Sep 9, 2001
Holy poo poo though, thank you, that’s awesome even if I can only use it 3/4 weeks

BromanderData
Mar 20, 2013

Stroke it with me

The Chosen One
Per the new app version I’m happy to confirm that FYAD looks very pretty and autocorrect seems to be working.

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

Popping up from out of nowhere...

I haven’t been following the progress on this thread but I’ve noticed a behavior that comes up whenever there is a forums-wide sticky/announcement: if you’ve already read the Nord VPN ad, guess what! It’s starred again as though it hasn’t been read yet. But the post about super-mods is there but never gets a star.

Bottom line: new announcements don’t give a notification for reading. Just picks the first announcement in that queue and reenables it.

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

is it possible to get the SAclopedia in the app somehow, or is the jungle of Radium legacy too difficult to navigate on that front?

and also they opened a completely new FYAD with forumID 666 so maybe copy all the style sheets and so on from the old to that one too?

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

Popping up from out of nowhere...

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave posted:

I haven’t been following the progress on this thread but I’ve noticed a behavior that comes up whenever there is a forums-wide sticky/announcement: if you’ve already read the Nord VPN ad, guess what! It’s starred again as though it hasn’t been read yet. But the post about super-mods is there but never gets a star.

Bottom line: new announcements don’t give a notification for reading. Just picks the first announcement in that queue and reenables it.

Here’s a shot of it happening once more!

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
The quote button has stopped working a few times today, and regdates aren’t always showing up either.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Is there an easy way to see a users complete post history across the entire site in the app? I can’t seem to figure it out.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

MarcusSA posted:

Is there an easy way to see a users complete post history across the entire site in the app? I can’t seem to figure it out.

No, that's a function of Search which is still on the list of major features to add.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

carry on then posted:

No, that's a function of Search which is still on the list of major features to add.

Ok thanks that’s what I thought.

Semi related but is there any way to do it on the actual site or is like the last 1000 the limit?

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

ulvir posted:

is it possible to get the SAclopedia in the app somehow, or is the jungle of Radium legacy too difficult to navigate on that front?

sorry for quoting myself but i'm still wondering about this one

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I have been crashing a lot on beta, I think related to orientation changes? I’ve sent most of them in, in case that’s helpful.

For imgur, I’ve taken to using the shortcut that has been posted a few times.

You can also make it pull from the clipboard.

stuffed crust punk
Oct 8, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

ulvir posted:

and also they opened a completely new FYAD with forumID 666 so maybe copy all the style sheets and so on from the old to that one too?

Alternate idea: do not make it easier or more enjoyable for fyads to use the forums

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

every subforum deserves their custom stylesheet if they have one no matter how much drama happens

edit: but more to the point it would be really cool to look up the SAclopedia without having to deal with the painful experience of the browser

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

ulvir posted:

every subforum deserves their custom stylesheet if they have one no matter how much drama happens

edit: but more to the point it would be really cool to look up the SAclopedia without having to deal with the painful experience of the browser

I think this one is also on the list, pokeyman can confirm. Of course it also counts as a larger feature, so time permitting etc etc

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

carry on then posted:

I think this one is also on the list, pokeyman can confirm. Of course it also counts as a larger feature, so time permitting etc etc

just knowing it’s something that seems feasible enough that it’s at least looked at as a feature is more than enough for me :shittydog:

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti
fyad is dead/permanently closed. Delete that poo poo hole from the app 🙂

ewiley
Jul 9, 2003

More trash for the trash fire
I just replaced my lovely asus tablet with an iPad and it’s like I’m in a whole new universe! All the apps are better and everything is shiny and responsive. The awful app is unrecognizably better and has an actual 🍔 menu. I wish I’d done this years ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

ulvir posted:

guess we don’t need this anymore