Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

suffix
Jul 27, 2013

Wheeee!
all i ask for in an architecture is cool technical talks on youtube by some guy who looks like gandalf

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

rjmccall posted:

i'm just intrigued by the idea that there might still be mill fans after all these years of nothing. like they could absolutely have made some prototype chips by this point if their design was worth anything

well you did get at least one unambiguous wiki-quotin mill fan in the hn thread about your paper, so they’re still out there

quote:

yes: http://millcomputing.com/wiki/Protection
Regarding ROP, that entire class of attack isn't possible if return addresses are stored in hardware that isn't accessible to the program.
> "[Stacks on the Mill architecture] contain no control flow information. In particular, no return addresses. The control stacks are maintained entirely within the hardware, inaccessible from programs. They get saved and restored by the Spiller as needed. This makes several classes of common security exploits simply impossible."

the last time I spent significant :effort: making GBS threads on the hopes and dreams of mill fans it was to point out that even if they don’t have the budget to do a chip, they ought to grab a fpga eval board and go to town. costs under $10K for a board with a huge fpga and a bundled tools license, but they’ve never even done that. (the labor is more expensive, but I’m sure they could get volunteers who’d accept pay in the form of stock or w/e)

so despite waffling about limited funding whenever anyone asks them where the hardware is, there’s no excuse, they’ve definitely had enough funding to work on proof of concept physical implementation. and they should have done so as part of their pursuit of more investment, because their story isn’t credible without a poc. instead they’re still farting around with a simulator, apparently trying to write their own os to boot on it.

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
lol they're writing their own os instead of just porting linux or maybe some tiny embedded kernel? yeah that fits

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
their approach to a Linux port is to port it to the L4 microkernel, i forget exactly why Linux cant run directly on Mill but it cant so this is their workaround

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

rjmccall posted:

lol they're writing their own os instead of just porting linux or maybe some tiny embedded kernel? yeah that fits

maybe? i got that impression by skimming some posts on their forums, but I rechecked just now and found a post referencing ‘the os port’ and mention of a desire to get a microkernel running as a way to bootstrap one of the hybrid linux/uC operating systems. so, idk

as it always is with the mill, half the posts are ivan godard (the gandalf-rear end mf’er in their youtubes who is the impetus behind the project) being vague and tantalizing, both about exactly what mill is and what they’re doing, so you can read almost anything you want into what he’s saying

also don’t go to their forums, they’re the saddest forums

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

i was interested in mill at first, but i hate videos for techical information, even if its gandalf. they should have way more actual documents (and, by now, actual designs. come on guys, it's been like decades)

JawnV6 posted:

wait who's still bitter about harvard architectures

not me, all the most annoying processors i've worked with were harvard architecture

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum
hiram112 5 hours ago | parent | favorite | on: Stamping Out Online Sex Trafficking May Have Pushe...

It isn't just the religious right that pushes for backwards prostitution laws. It is also... feminists.

Aren't feminists always going on about "my body, my right" when it comes to abortion and other forms of contraceptives? Of course, but when it comes to prostitution, they seem to take a 'differing' view.

Why?

When prostitution is decriminalized, the price of sex goes down, as would be expected in any market where the product / service carries less legal risk and societal stigmas than before. Thus, men are far less likely to pay large premiums for sex with non-prostitutes including 'courting', dating, marriage, etc.

mystes
May 31, 2006

superkuh 20 minutes ago [-]

China following the socially regressive lead the USA has been setting in terms of free speech on university campuses.

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

BobHoward posted:

maybe? i got that impression by skimming some posts on their forums, but I rechecked just now and found a post referencing ‘the os port’ and mention of a desire to get a microkernel running as a way to bootstrap one of the hybrid linux/uC operating systems. so, idk

as it always is with the mill, half the posts are ivan godard (the gandalf-rear end mf’er in their youtubes who is the impetus behind the project) being vague and tantalizing, both about exactly what mill is and what they’re doing, so you can read almost anything you want into what he’s saying

also don’t go to their forums, they’re the saddest forums

being vague and tantalizing is career security for greybeards like this because they can never make it or understand what is going on in the broader industry enough to be a productive part so they invent their time cube world that they can be a master of. luckily for them, popular culture has done half their work for them so they can attract a follower base by just acting the part of wise old white guy

see also: conservatives

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

Xik posted:

hiram112 5 hours ago | parent | favorite | on: Stamping Out Online Sex Trafficking May Have Pushe...

It isn't just the religious right that pushes for backwards prostitution laws. It is also... feminists.

Aren't feminists always going on about "my body, my right" when it comes to abortion and other forms of contraceptives? Of course, but when it comes to prostitution, they seem to take a 'differing' view.

Why?

When prostitution is decriminalized, the price of sex goes down, as would be expected in any market where the product / service carries less legal risk and societal stigmas than before. Thus, men are far less likely to pay large premiums for sex with non-prostitutes including 'courting', dating, marriage, etc.

hiram112 1 day ago | parent [-] | on: Stamping Out Online Sex Trafficking May Have Pushe...

I think the most unmentioned facet regarding prostitution is that for many men, prostitution may be the only way for them to obtain sex, which I feel is just as much of a "right" as is the right for women to obtain an abortion.
No I don't believe taxpayers should be required to pay for prostitutes, nor for abortions.

But the market for both should be decriminalized. Not only is this something that is morally right, though I'm sure feminists especially will not agree, I believe this is in society's best interest, too.

There are more and more studies showing most men did not actually propagate throughout history, and this is also true with many other mammals. The alpha obtains a harem, and the rest fight over what's left (or die trying).

I have a feeling that the institution of monogamy came about in almost all cultures simply to avoid the problems associated with large numbers of males, programmed by evolution to do one thing, unable to obtain it.

Inexpensive and shameless prostitution might be an alternative as it seems monogamy is declining, and some version of polygamy becoming more normal with few men sharing many women (if you believe the online dating app stats and lots of anecdotes online).

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
I love how they all just assume what a feminist position on sex work is without even a ten second Google search on the topic to realize their assumption is completely backwards

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
i mean there’s a pretty deep divide on that, but yeah, the idea that of course all feminists are opposed to sex work is pretty funny

also obligatory “that’s not how alphas work”

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
I mean, they also think rape was a normal thing until we “civilized” ourselves soooo

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.

BobHoward posted:

well you did get at least one unambiguous wiki-quotin mill fan in the hn thread about your paper, so they’re still out there

the last time I spent significant :effort: making GBS threads on the hopes and dreams of mill fans it was to point out that even if they don’t have the budget to do a chip, they ought to grab a fpga eval board and go to town. costs under $10K for a board with a huge fpga and a bundled tools license, but they’ve never even done that. (the labor is more expensive, but I’m sure they could get volunteers who’d accept pay in the form of stock or w/e)

so despite waffling about limited funding whenever anyone asks them where the hardware is, there’s no excuse, they’ve definitely had enough funding to work on proof of concept physical implementation. and they should have done so as part of their pursuit of more investment, because their story isn’t credible without a poc. instead they’re still farting around with a simulator, apparently trying to write their own os to boot on it.

lol yeah where the gently caress is the fpga demo board

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

im going with they did an fpga implementation and it was so lovely they abandoned it and told themselves that it wasn't possible to efficiently implement mill on an fpga so they need to skip that step

Internet Janitor
May 17, 2008

"That isn't the appropriate trash receptacle."
can't publish an fpga implementation before you file all your patents; otherwise all those crooks will steal your brilliant ideas

Breakfast All Day
Oct 21, 2004

https://patrickcollison.com/fast

oh one of those move quickly break things motivationals

quote:

The Pentagon. The construction of the world's largest office building was led by Brehon Somervell. The decision to proceed with the project was made on a Thursday evening. Initial drawings were completed that Sunday. Construction started two months later, on September 11 1941, and was finished on January 15 1943, 491 days later. When asked when something was needed, Somervell's go-to response was "the day before yesterday". Source: The Pentagon.

ok thats actually neat, what other big proje

quote:

Amazon Prime. Amazon started to implement the first version of Amazon Prime in late 2004 and announced it on February 2 2005, six weeks later. Source: The making of Amazon Prime.

amazing. just amazing that an online retailer with accounts and 2-day shipping could, in a mere six weeks, add a recurring subscription for 2-day shipping. SV truly is the engineering megaproject of our era commensurate to its level of capital

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

re: academic publishing and unpaid article review

hos234 14 hours ago | parent [-] | on: ACM signed letter opposing open access

Amazon pulls in thousands of unpaid reviews for any product. Now what do you do? Give all of them the product free?
Lets say 3 in 100 reviews are good. And you want those 3 to come back and review the next product. You are even willing to pay them something. Is there a guarantee that they have interest and will show up, and if they do, is there a guarantee that they produce a useful review of the same standard the second time around?
Thats just one simplified reason about the dynamics of this process, that is going to block everyone from getting things for free.
Its easy to react, to push to dismantle it and you just end up with YouTube style mega mass of comments under every vid where the best comments are guaranteed to get buried unless they pander to the will of the herd.

Maximo Roboto
Feb 4, 2012

This is the shittiest thread I've seen in a while

https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=21855280

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison

Maximo Roboto posted:

This is the shittiest thread I've seen in a while

https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=21855280

there’s a lot of bad comments but the top stuff seems alright. 5 storey apartment buildings and municipal consolidation would solve a solid 90% of the bays issues, housing-wise.

ofc no one is really incentivized to do that because can you imagine how much money the poor landlords/homeowners would lose if there wasn’t artificially constrained supply?

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
city consolidation makes sense in the abstract but i fault exactly no-one for not wanting anything to do with sf’s extremely hosed up local politics

SRQ
Nov 9, 2009

local politics is hosed up universally because, I assume, nobody wants to spent an entire career as "ward 7 councillor."

so the only people there are either too incompetent to hack it in REAL politics, or running some sort of scam under the table and quite happy with being corrupt

Edmonton is great, we elected a late gen-x mayor a few years ago and nothing changed, same old incompetence and grifting including them voting down free transit on Election Day and weaponizing transit police against climate protestors. we still have no working public transit.

SRQ fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Dec 23, 2019

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
sf is basically the center of the state democratic machine, so it’s actually really out-sized in its importance in state politics, and serving in city office is a pretty good stepping stone, not a dead end. it doesn’t help; you just get ambitious councillors who immediately start running for state senator and laying out their own ten-point plans for fixing everything just to get good press instead of trying to build any sort of real support from the other councillors

Maximo Roboto
Feb 4, 2012

This thread is like the HN equivalent of getting ratioed:

https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=21865065

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

merry christmas everyone. one of the hackers is catching on to what we in yospos have known for years:

quote:

As someone with a lot of experience in self-driving cars, my opinion has changed over the course of the last decade from "we can create smart enough models of these separate problems to create a statistically safer product" to "first you need to invent general AI."

It becomes immediately obvious as you encounter more and more edge cases, but you would never even begin to think of these edge cases and you have no idea how to handle them (even when hard coding them on individual cases - and you couldn't anyway as there are too many) so you realize the car actually has to be able to think. What's worse, it has to be able to think far enough into the future to anticipate anything that could end badly.

The most interesting part of self-driving cars is definitely on the prediction teams - their job is to predict the world however many seconds into the future and incorporate that into the path planning. As you can guess, the car often predicts the future incorrectly. It's just a ridiculously hard problem. I think the current toolbox of ML is just woefully, completely, entirely inadequate to tackle this monster.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Lambert posted:

Or someone that went to school. Latin is a regular part of the curriculum in many places.

The kids who took Latin in my school in the mid 00s haven't eaten pussy either

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

The kids who took Latin in my school in the mid 00s haven't eaten pussy either

so did you do well in latin?

power botton
Nov 2, 2011

I went to a prep school and even we thought the kids who picked latin for their language were awful nerds

power botton
Nov 2, 2011

or budding sociopaths who were being groomed to take over their dads corporate law firm

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

lol latin was by far the easiest language in my high school, teachers who didn't give a gently caress, not having to speak it outloud, and there was a yearly "convention" which was really just a toga party rave in a football field.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

i mean you can try to make it sound cool, but we all know the truth. the terrible, terrible truth

Switzerland
Feb 18, 2005
Do what thou must do.
Re: Mill Computing, is it really considered just some kind of grift, i mean, VC, for that CPU Santa dude?

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
what else is it?

a grad student could crank out a lovely fpga implementation of something on the order of months? going 15+ years and generating.... a shitload of youtubes and 14 whole patents is silly

idk I should take a deeper dive, but i always get the impression they take every failure or misstep of traditional arches and smugly assert they handle that edge case differently. spectre? hah, we store return addresses... uh... somewhere else!!! take THAT intelailures!!

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
eh, on the grand fraud-crank-optimist spectrum i’d probably put mill somewhere between the latter two. there’s a ton of ideas there, and some of them seem really dumb to me (vliw) and others could be the right trade-off for some client out there (the belt maybe?). as a sort of patent-oriented architecture research group they have some potential to get picked up for their ip, and they don’t need a working product for that, so it’s not total investor storytime

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
hasnt vliw been tried and mostly phased out pretty much everywhere now? why does it still persist

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed

Switzerland posted:

Re: Mill Computing, is it really considered just some kind of grift, i mean, VC, for that CPU Santa dude?

i don’t think they’re making any money off it? it seems like more of a hobby project from some retired dudes than anything else

tracecomplete
Feb 26, 2017

Suspicious Dish posted:

hasnt vliw been tried and mostly phased out pretty much everywhere now? why does it still persist

VLIW still exists in some specialized hardware. I was just reading earlier today that Nikon used it in their EXCEED image processors until pretty recently. For general-purpose computing it seems pretty dubious, though.

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
yeah i think vliw might make sense if you have a pretty small instruction set and a very particular execution model like a gpu where control flow is really uncommon. it’s really dumb for general-purpose computing and i really don’t understand the allure for architects

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?
you don’t have to figure out how to parallelize poo poo you just punt that to compiler developers

there’s your allure

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

Suspicious Dish posted:

movidius shave uses vliw https://en.wikichip.org/wiki/movidius/microarchitectures/shave_v2.0