Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

PlasticAutomaton posted:

I request a pandering team with Dark Raichu and everyone's favorite pokemon but evil Dark Charizard

Anything with the unfairly maligned Dark Charizard is good with me. Especially if we can set up a 300+ damage turn.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wodenspoon
May 2, 2018

Throwing in another one for Dark Machamp--it seems fun!

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Don't forget to name your decks also, though I'll come up with my own name if need be.

Also, I should mention that since this game came after Neo Destiny, despite not featuring Gen 2 mons, any exclusive cards to this game appear under the Dark Pokemon from that set specifically to annoy me, so don't miss out on including Dark Ninetales, Dark Starmie, Dark Marowak, Dark Gengar, Dark Clefable, Dark Fearow, or Dark Venusaur in your considerations!

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
Marowak gets strength from the death of it's mom, just like Spiderman. Dark Marowak instead is a broody jerk that feels superior to everyone because of its mom's death, like Batman

Call it the Emo Kid deck

Slaan fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Dec 27, 2019

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
Gotta do the original Team Rocket trio. Make a deck called Team Rocket's Rockin' with Dark Arbok, Dark Weezing, and Dark Persian.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Leraika posted:

Gotta do the original Team Rocket trio. Make a deck called Team Rocket's Rockin' with Dark Arbok, Dark Weezing, and Dark Persian.
This, but since the name's already been used, instead call it REALROCKET, and stomp these cardboard-stealing chumps.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

PMush Perfect posted:

This, but since the name's already been used, instead call it REALROCKET, and stomp these cardboard-stealing chumps.

This works.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

I'm sad that Dark Wigglytuff isn't in the game,so I stead I'll say Wigglytuff, Dark Gengar and Dark Clefable and call it Space Invaders. I mean, Gengar looks like an evil Clefable as it is, so might as well go with all three.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Leraika posted:

This works.
I only just now finally mentally processed your avatar, and realized it's a Goomy on top of a Gastrodon's head.

It's adorable. :3:

Buried Treasure
Oct 23, 2008
My favorite Dark Pokemon is Dark Muk. Maybe try using it with the one Weezing card that increases Poison damage - I think it's a regular Weezing and not Dark Weezing, if that's at all possible?

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Dark Machamp seems hysterical, and would probably make a good combo with the aforementioned Dark Muk; Fling away everything you don't want to deal with, and trap/poison all the weak basics that are left over. Call it Rubber&Glue or something.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
I'm farming cards in the postgame rn, and have put together a super nasty Dark deck for that, maybe you'd be interested in showing it off?

It's based around Dark Kadabra and Dark Golduck with some help by Dark Clefable and GR's Mewto.

Dark Kadabra has the super sick ability to let you draw a card by discarding another, and combined with Master Ball, The Boss' Way, the Psyducks drawing cards with Dizzyness (that's all they're for, there's no water energy in the deck), you can cycle through the deck super easy (ofc it also has 4 Bills and Oaks). This way, you're guaranteed to have a 3-PsyEn-for-50-damage Psyduck on the third turn, or you promote a Kadabra to Alakazam, and protect/enhance them with the "help" cards. I used to also have Dark Dragonair but honestly they're useless on their own and it's too much tutoring.

Sometimes I feel like I'm playing a well-oiled MtG deck again so that's nice.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
Suggesting Dark Alakazam and Dark Hypno because I'm a sucker for weird attack effects. I'm bad at names but call it the Whaaa-? deck or something.

Chatrapati
Nov 6, 2012

Simply Simon posted:

I'm farming cards in the postgame rn, and have put together a super nasty Dark deck for that, maybe you'd be interested in showing it off?

It's based around Dark Kadabra and Dark Golduck with some help by Dark Clefable and GR's Mewto.

Dark Kadabra has the super sick ability to let you draw a card by discarding another, and combined with Master Ball, The Boss' Way, the Psyducks drawing cards with Dizzyness (that's all they're for, there's no water energy in the deck), you can cycle through the deck super easy (ofc it also has 4 Bills and Oaks). This way, you're guaranteed to have a 3-PsyEn-for-50-damage Psyduck on the third turn, or you promote a Kadabra to Alakazam, and protect/enhance them with the "help" cards. I used to also have Dark Dragonair but honestly they're useless on their own and it's too much tutoring.

Sometimes I feel like I'm playing a well-oiled MtG deck again so that's nice.

I'm wanting to do the same kind of thing, but the King just isn't giving out any more of those cards. I have two of those spoilered cards but now he's just giving out expansion booster packs.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Iirc you can only get the two.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Part 4: An Entire Update About The Game Corner

Game Corner

There are lots of slot machines and video games you can play here. You can exchange the chips you win for a Promotional Card Voucher. I just got a few vouchers myself. Here, take one, Minto!

Of course, you can't put that card in any of your decks! Instead, you trade it and one of the other listed cards for sweet Promos! Be careful, though, because you won't get either card back. Anyway, I'm off to search for the people that Team GR kidnapped. I was so hooked to the games here that I almost forgot! Heh heh... later, Minto!

Bill's PC
This card is needed to exchange either an Omanyte, Haunter, Machoke, Graveler, or Kadabra for its corresponding evolution card.
This is a card necessary for enlistment in the "Communication Evolution campaign". For detailed contents, carefully read the remarks on the "Expansion Sheet – Green Edition".
(You can't use this card in games.)

So here's a weird card. It is an actual card that was released in the third series of the Vending expansion. Available on 2 of the 18 sheets, Bill's PC could be mailed to MediaFactory before April 1999 along with 1 of 5 cards, Kadabra, Machoke, Graveler, Haunter and... Omanyte. You'd then get an evolved Promo card back from them, which was the only way to obtain them. It's definitely, uh, one way of doing a promotion, but we'll be able to obtain all of those cards in this game through a similar method.

CHIP GIRL: You don't have any chips, do you? Here, I'll give you 10 chips! Alrighty, then! Please enjoy your time at the Game Center! Just remember that you can't take the chips outside of the Center.

You have to leave your chips at the left counter, but can reclaim them at any time, while the right counter is the prizes! We can get as many of these as we want, bar the coin, with the Present Pack being that amount of that booster, which, since we're not in tutorial land, can contain any card from any booster. You might recognise the top cards, they were the Card Pop! exclusives from last game. There's 2 Card Pop! exclusives in this game too, bah.

So you want to get every card in this game?

This is exactly how it sounds. No real tricks or cheats, you've gotta get 10 loving heads in a loving row. What are the chances? Well, 1 in 2, since they're independant variables, but it's a 1/1024 chance so we can go wow at the big number. So getting the Mew card is basically like getting a shiny, so congrats if you get it! I won't be getting it. As for payouts, you get rewards for 3 heads on, for 20, 40, 100, 200, 500, 1000, 3000 and then Mew.

Got kinda close after 45 minutes of trying. Even if you won't get the Mew card, because of how quick this game is and how good the rewards are if you get lucky, this is the best way to get chips and if you want to get 4 of each card, then you'll need a lot of chips. You don't need to buy any Bill's Computer though, since we get 4 more elsewhere, and you only need 5.

As for the Mew card? It's the one from the second Challenge Cup last game, uh, the one we technically didn't get. You're not missing much, though it doesn't take damage from evolved Pokemon. So, moving on!

Here's one way to get 5 Promos, I guess. Let's go over them, since I'm never gonna come back here after this update...

Tentacle Grip: Flip a number of coins equal to the number of Water Energy attached to Omastar. For each heads, draw 2 cards.

Corrosive Acid: Flip a coin. If heads, the Defending Pokémon is now Paralyzed. If tails, you can't use this attack during your next turn.

Let's start with the odd one out, since it's something we could've seen when I used the fossil deck, but they're tricky to show everything if you don't get the right order, so oh well. It's not a great card due to so many coin flips, but you could use it for draws as you're charging it up. Probably not gonna though, and not being able to use a 40 damage attack if you flip wrong is proportionately excessive.

Oh hey some English cards! We did get some Vending, as well as the Promos, you just didn't know it. This was available through TCG leagues in Feb 2002 and seems pretty alright. You can do a lot of flips if you get damaged to increase your odds of more damage, but Fling is probably a preferable option since that's a lot of damage to then use with a bench damage mon or something. Still, ones where they choose the mon aren't as effective, but still not bad.

Rollout

Rock Blast: You may discard up to 5 Fighting Energy cards attached to Golem. For each Fighting Energy you discarded, choose 1 of your opponent’s Pokémon and this attack does 20 damage to it. (You may choose the same Pokémon more than once.) Don’t apply Weakness or Resistance.

Hmm, well this one isn't as good. You can't get max damage consecutively for Rock Blast unless you have NINE Fighting energy, which seems a bit much, but man that's a lot of damage you can spread around. Still, considering how much effort you need to evolve this all the way, I think it's a bit much for a Stage 2. Oh well, maybe that's why we didn't get some cards, they're a bit poo poo!

Psycho Panic: If the Defending Pokémon is Psychic, this attack’s base damage is doubled.

Trance Damage: Discard all Energy cards attached to Alakazam. Move all damage counters from Alakazam to the Defending Pokémon.

This one seems a lot better. Psycho Panic pops up a couple of times and it's a very good move, since Psychic cards usually have a weakness to Psychic cards, so it's 120 damage for 2 energy, which is super big brained. Also 3 energy to fully heal you and KO any Pokemon lower than 80HP? Yes please! However, outside of those niche incidents, it's not a fantastic card and could also find itself on the other end of a Psycho Panic. But that first attack alone makes a good card.

Power of Darkness: When you play Gengar from your hand, you may flip a coin. If heads, choose 1 of your opponent’s Pokémon. Your opponent returns that Pokémon and all cards attached to it to his or her hand.

Psy Horror: Flip a coin. If heads, the Defending Pokémon is now Asleep. If tails, the Defending Pokémon is now Confused.

Last one is tricky, like Gengar usually is. If you're facing a scary evolved mon then the chance of getting rid of it is pretty drat powerful, while getting any ailment from an attack is always a good damage trade. No matter what, your opponent needs to flip well to do anything or get switching. Overall, not bad, but really, how many people really used these cards with how rare they are? At least this one got reprinted in the Web expansion...

Phew, that was a few Promos, so let's talk about more Promos! Well, while we can get a variety of Promos depending on the cards we put in, only 1 is actually exclusive to this machine, the rest are obtained through a variety of ways, mainly NPC trading, so this is a way to get more than 1 easily. Or, well, easy when you know the combinations. Look online.

Still, there's a LOT of combinations of cards you can feed into this machine to get various Promos, or evolved cards, or even a lot of random stuff, such as trading in 5 Energy Search for 1 Computer Search. Trading in Pokemon of different levels can result in getting the same evolution back, such as getting Fossil Arbok regardless of which Ekans you trade in, which you can then trade 5 of that to get 1 Vending Arbok. The combinations are endless and also not listed aside from a few extra outside of Promos! Great fun. Let's go over the exclusive Promo!

Peek: Once during your turn (before your attack), you may look at one of the following: the top card of either player's deck, a random card from your opponent's hand, or one of either player's Prizes. This power can't be used if Mankey is Asleep, Confused, or Paralyzed.

Scratch

By trading in a Fossil Hitmonlee and Vending Hitmonchan, you can get this cool card. Well, it's identical to the Fossil Mankey, but this was an insert to the first volume of How I Became A Pokemon Card, a manga that delved into the backstories and origins of various illustrations that also lasted for 6 volumes! Crazy what kids those days were into.

Kinky. This will be the bulk of the update, but there's 2 more attractions to show off.

Of course these are here. Depending on which symbol you match up depends on what you get paid out. No I don't know the amounts, but getting Fire/Lightning pays more than Water/Colourless.

It's best to use the golden machines instead, as they offer 5 times the rewards for 5 times the price, it just speeds everything up.

There's a very good chance you'll get something when CHANCE! comes up, but you can still fail. Lining up the only 3 Rainbow puts you into a bonus round where you can win 100/500 chips depending on the slots, or a booster pack with energy. Woo.

Not bad after a bit of playing, so this is the main reward we're getting.

Now we can get all these prizes as many times as we like!

You need to pay 10 chips to fight. Will you challenge me? We'll have a duel with 4 prize cards, then! Come on, let's fight!

Normal Duel

Ah dammit we have Fighting resistance while I'm using a Fighting deck. While on GR Island, we'll be using their own tools against them, so this is a Dark Machamp and Dark Primeape deck suggested by LiefKatano and anilEhilated. Good to lead off with the cool Promo.

Thankfully we have a card that lets us ignore resistance, since Drag Off is a very good attack to hit stuff you switch in. Or, you can do the opposite and hit something before it gets switched out, so it gives you a lot of freedom with your opponent's bench. And you know how much the AI loves slapping down any Basic it gets it paws on.

You can run, you can heal, but you can't escape! Honestly, it's a bit hard evolving Dark Machoke due to its utility, but Dark Machamp has its positives, too.

Besides, since we're not using a Water deck, this Moltres won't be doing much anyway. Also I like using Peek and other effects like it to see prize cards so I can pick the ones I need, uh, so long as I remember where they are.

This strategy will only work for so long lmao. Pawn's deck is pretty drat simple, just lots of beefy Basics to try and roll for various effects. Moltres is there so Fighting doesn't roll right over her and Magmar does some alright Fire damage. She also has 4 Potions and Energy Removals just to be the most annoying.

Paralysis is one way to get me to evolve! Nice and dependable damage with Mega Punch and then an incredibly devious attack in Fling. Usually if you throw a Pokemon away, the opponent can recover quickly by putting it back on the bench and attaching some energy. But throwing back into the DECK is so evil. Sure, they could draw it back with Computer Search or Pokeball, but only the Basic stage and it really helps getting rid of anything you seriously don't want to deal with. I do prefer sniping for prizes, but drat does this have utility.

The only thing is we, uh, need 4 Fighting energy for that, so let's show off the other half. We can finish off this Chansey no prob-

Hey, get back here!

Mmm, sounds about right. 2 energy for 70 damage is incredible, but you could also slam yourself in the face and die the next turn if you don't flip well. You can use a variety of switches, as well as using the free retreat from Mankey to get around dealing with confusion, cause 40 damage is still pretty drat good, but I tend to just eat poo poo when relying on coin flips, so I don't wanna bother with them otherwise. Shame, cause it's a fun concept and you can even use Imakuni? to deal 70 damage all the time! You know, if it works.

Wicked Jab: Flip a coin. If heads, the Defending Pokémon is now Paralyzed.

Focus Blast: Flip a coin. If heads, this attack does 20 damage to 1 of your opponent's Pokémon. Apply Weakness and Resistance.

Still, when I run out of options, I have one last idea, HADOKEN! I mean, uh, Fighting Spirit Bullet? Sure. And only if we get the flip.

Because of your victory, you may advance deeper into the dungeon! You may now leave with your winnings or continue your journey! Will you fight on? As you wish! I'll open the doors ahead! By all means! Advance onward!

If you seek to delve deeper into the dungeon, you'll need to defeat me. You may wager 10 or 20 chips on our fight. Whichever amount you pay, a victory will get you double your wager. Do you understand the rules? Would you like to challenge me? How many chips will you wager? So you're wagering 20 chips. We'll use 4 prize cards, then. Come one, let's battle!

Looking pretty similar, though the deck name indicates what fun we'll encounter shortly. Good thing about Machamp decks is Machop is so good, though we are using the Vending one also, this just shows up when I need it.

Mega Kick

Steady Punch: Flip a coin. If heads, this attack does 20 more damage.

What's that, you wanted ANOTHER Vending Machoke? Great card, 2 energy for 30 damage, or 3 energy for the same thing, but the chance of doing even more damage. Simple and has great artwork, of course I'll highlight it!

Lots of effects going around, wonder if he'll use them? Thankfully he doesn't have the evolution stopping Aerodactyl and also, uh, no Omastar? Well, his Kangaskhan and Charizard can pick up the slack when he just has Mysterious Fossils, because he will be using 4 Fossil Excavations. You might not kill them with 4 Defenders and 4 Bill either. Weird, seems like the AI are actually getting less garbage decks???

...uh, he just used Kabuto's power to devolve Omanyte, which KOed itself since it had 30 damage, so I couldn't get the prize card. loving big brain plays over here, goddamn.

Not that it really matters, fossil decks are always a pain to get going and it seems like he wasn't having much luck. Hell, we don't even need to be confused to OHKO his last mon.

Will you continue fighting or do you want to retire? Then I shall open the doors! There we are. Please proceed to the next room.

If you think you can compare to my might, bet me 10 or 30 chips! If you emerge victorious, you'll win a greater sum of chips back! If you wager 30 chips, you'll win 60. That is my decree! Choose now! Will you challenge my might? You're wagering 30 chips? Alright, let us begin! We'll duel for 4 prize cards!

Grass deck, this time around, surely it won't be that bad?

Ah crap Fighting resistance, ah crap confusion. But hey, I think we've got one more way around that.

The OG Machamp is still a terrifying threat, especially because Zubat is taken out in 1 turn even with resistance!

So good it happens 3 times! The AI never learns. Another load of Fighting resists in Golbat and Scyther to help Porygon and... Cool Porygon do their weakness and resistance changes. Hm, we'll see soon enough if it is as cool as it says. Otherwise, Switches and Scoop Ups let him keep his annoying mons nice and healthy, really glad we didn't see any Scyther, sheesh.

As I am defeated, I must open the door onward. Will you continue? Behold! The doors open at my call! Now continue your journey!

If you have the power to defeat me, you may go on to meet our queen. To battle me, you'll need to wager either 30 or 50 chips. Do you understand? Have you the courage to fight me? I'll take your 50 chips. Prepare yourself! I fight to 5 prize cards!

Another fight, another resistance. We're getting to the end, but hopefully we can ignore this bird long enough to snipe some stuff.

Well since I knocked out the Basic, guess he switched up what he was gonna attack with. Fearow can be tricky, but its biggest attack has the chance of doing nothing, so maybe we'll get lucky.

Just one attack will take us out. But don't worry, I've got a backup. Of course I do, do you think I was worried this whole time? Well, I wasn't! Don't put in the paper that I was!

The main issue is we need to knock out something in one hit so it doesn't retreat. Recycle Energy counts for 1 Colourless energy and returns to your hand instead of the discard, so it's very stubborn to get rid of.

Sheesh, finally. Was wondering if I was ever going to sack this thing.

Anyway, gently caress outta here. We saw most of what Rook does, though he has the GB Eeveelutions to not rely on specific energy, as well as Dark Vaporeon, which is just below. He also had Moon Stone to draw an evolved Colourless mon from the deck, so he could get set up quickly if he got lucky, along with Trader and Energy Removal.

Oh no the fox has become EVIL! Well it seems pretty standard, but can drain your enemy with energy discard, which is always devilish. Emergy Retrieval hampers this strat somewhat, but if your opponent is struggling with their hand, having them unable to attack at all is the best thing you can do in the game if you can't knock them out.

How about it? Will you challenge the Queen? With my magnificent power, the doors shall open! The Queen awaits you just ahead!

It's quite a feat to make it to my throne room, I must say! My wait is over. I can finally put this duelling table to use! This is the dungeon's final battle. I am known as Queen. I'm afraid to say that this castle has no King, unfortunately. However, you should find me more than tough enough! You may wager either 50 or 100 chips in a battle against me. Are you prepared for a climactic finale? Finally, a true card battle! Best of luck to you, warrior. Sit down in the chair opposite me and we shall start our match. We shall fight using 6 prize cards!

This turned into quite the side mode, didn't it? Still, we can beat down any deck that comes our way! Right?

Well this might be a little trickier due to all the big Basics this deck is comprised of. There's Magmar, Lapras, Electabuzz, Jynx and Hitmonchan, with plenty of energy for each. It doesn't matter if she draws into the wrong one, it'll still do some damage and she has a bit of a way around that.

Woah, the absolute lad got a big attack off! If only it wasn't the only one with 80HP.

But hey, even Mankey gets a kill due to Thunderpunch's recoil! We're staying afloat.

Oh poo poo.

OH poo poo! Well hopefully she doesn't get another Intro Jynx up. Due to weakness, Doubleslap does 40 damage for each heads.

Thankfully Breeder lets you go straight to the last stage, even for Dark Pokemon, so we're still in this! If only I had one more energy!!!

She just threw. Now we can knock it out next turn with Mega Punch! Rainbow Energy is super useful when you need a specific energy and you need it now. The 10 damage is a little annoying, but this is obviously a better sub for mons that need 2 different kinds of energy instead of just Colourless. Oh wait we lose if she gets 2 heads.

Oh mama that was close!

You are indeed the warrior I've been waiting for! What strength! Well, then. Take your prize. And with that, I must bid you a fond farewell, brave hero. I do hope you'll come play again. It gets so lonely back here!

Alright, well, uh, that was a lot. For 220 chips. It's an interesting idea, but such a slow way to get ca$$$h, so just play the coin flip, since that's basically what we did.

Still, nothing an AR code can't fix, but that's it for the Game Center! That was a lot more than you expected huh? Well I'm sure next time it's time to, you guessed it, finally explore the island!

After all, a lot's changed on TCG Island now that Team GR have left, so let's check in with everyone!

Crosspeice fucked around with this message at 03:04 on Feb 11, 2020

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Here's to a new decade of LPs! As always, please keep suggesting Dark Pokemon and Vending/Intro cards to use, try not to be too fancy in suggesting a bunch, I like keeping my decks simple enough that we can cover most of what it offers in the 5 or so fights we use them in.

Also, thanks for continuing to read my stuff, my LPs have changed a lot over the last decade, cause I've been doing these for a lot longer than I might admit! But I'm really happy with where I've ended up and there's plenty more to do.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

I'm really not fond of the font in this game. Without context, that could say both New and Mew cards.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Man, that was a long Game Corner update. I'm impressed that a spinoff has one, but even more that it has so many things, even stuff that isn't luck-based (well, not more luck-based than a card game has to be)

Doesn't make me miss them though.

Chatrapati
Nov 6, 2012
Other than voltorb flip I can't enjoy any game corner in the pokémon games, I'm glad they got rid of them. This game corner is particularly bad due to that coin flipping game; I never tried for 45 minutes though, because that sounds incredibly tedious. The only bit I could tolerate is the Card Dungeon. I tried looking online for the card combinations for the Black Box, but couldn't find them, which is a shame because I really wanted a nidoking. :(

One fun deck I made with the Dark Vaporeon card was a Rocket Trap deck, where I would try to sap all the energies from the opponent then take away their hand so to reduce the chances of them gaining another energy card. When it worked, it was very satisfying.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
What about this one? No Nidoking though, I'm afraid.

Chatrapati
Nov 6, 2012

Simply Simon posted:

What about this one? No Nidoking though, I'm afraid.

Simply Simon, that was perfect. No idea why I didn't find that, I obviously didn't look very hard. LorisBiaggi kindly recommended to trade 5 of one card in order to gain its evolution, so I traded 5 nidorinos and now I finally have all of the non-promo cards. :)

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Man there's a surprising amount goign on in this casino, huh?
TCG 2 makes TCG1 just feel less like a first game and more like a beta run, honestly, and we're not even in the second half of the game

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

rannum posted:

TCG 2 makes TCG1 just feel less like a first game and more like a beta run, honestly, and we're not even in the second half of the game

Is the AI in 2 still unforgivably bad? That's the real flaw in the game. They should have at least given all the club leaders functional decks.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Part 5: War Recovery

Could you do me a favor? Battle me so I can gauge my power! 4 prize cards, then! These 2 booster packs are on the line!

Duel Time

It's time for lots of battles, since we'll be seeing who got their cards back on TCG Island and giving them their one moment in the sun. It's earlygame crew time, suggested by 1234567890num, no Dark Pokemon in this deck, nice to still use some of the earlier suggestions.

Doesn't matter that we've got resistance, since we'll be going to lots of different clubs anyway. All the Fighting members are back, but Mitch has been kidnapped, so we'll be coming back to the island later to properly fight everyone missing.

Master Balls are hit or miss since you can only see the top 7 cards of your deck, but at least it's better than whiffing a Pokeball. These are the only tools aside from Computer Search we get to search for any Pokemon, but there are other items useful for some decks.

Oh yeah, we're against a Fighting deck. Well, Raticate only got the one card until one of the last smaller expansions of Gen 1 in Southern Islands, which isn't in this game. It's meh, Super Fang carries it, but if the opponent has too much HP, then Bite can't finish them off and it's usually too fragile to last that long. So yeah, sounds about right for the earlygame rat.

Slicing Wind: Does 30 damage to 1 of your opponent's Pokémon chosen at random. Don't apply Weakness and Resistance for this attack. (Any other effects that would happen after applying Weakness and Resistance still happen.)

Gale: Switch Pidgeot with 1 of your Benched Pokémon chosen at random. If your opponent has any Benched Pokémon, switch the Defending Pokémon with 1 of them chosen at random. (Do the damage before switching the Pokémon.)

First up is the GB Pidgeot and Slicing Wind can be fun, especially when your opponent has a weak bench, but due to the randomness of all of its effects, it's not as useful as the actual Jungle Pidgeot. Still, it's a lot of bench damage for not much effort, which you could make use of with other Pokemon.

Here's the main offense for the deck, Hurricane is a pretty good attack, not as crazy as Dark Machamp, but evolved Pokemon become much less of a problem with this. Otherwise it has an alright chunk of health and doesn't take much to get going. Fine enough.

Machoke could be scary, but it goes right back! Chris's deck mainly focuses on Sandslash and has Kangaskhan for early draws. It also has Machoke and Vending Hitmonlee, though you can see the latter is quite fragile and can't touch us past resistance. Add in a smattering of standard Trainer cards and it's a pretty meh deck overall.

Hunh? I have failed... I seem to lack proper discipline. Alright! I'm going to try harder!!

I want to start training again but don't have any Pokemon cards... won't you continue your attack on Team GR?

I won't talk to everyone who's still missing cards and will only get them when you clear a certain point on GR Island, but I'll note anyone we don't fight, since we've already beaten Michael. Now he does have a new deck, but I definitely don't care.

Not worth 4 Voltorb, but at least it's over.

Hey! Come play with me and my Pikachu! Okiedoke! We'll play with 4 prize cards!

Cowabunga, dude! We'll have a bit more trouble here, but now Raticate can shine.

Jennifer still has every goddamn Pikachu, but also has Wartortle so her Water energy for Surfing Pikachu isn't completely wasted. Can be a nasty surprise if you're using a Fire deck!

Hell yeah Slicing Wind.

Ah crap, we're fighting an Electric deck! Still, we have some neat tech for more Colourless energy, such as Full Heal Energy and Potion Energy, which, well, do I really need to tell you? We also have Recycle and Rainbow, as well as Lightning, so we can still use Energy Search and not be limited to 4 of the specials.

Hey, you can't successfully use Pokeball! Ah whatever, we can blow away the last mon and boom, we win. It still feels illegal.

Ahhh, my Pikachu were defeated! Come back later to play with my Pikachu again!

Straight and to the point! We already fought Nicholas earlier and while we did fight Isaac, once he gets his deck back, we'll fight him, Club Masters are the exception, of course.

Thundershock: Flip a coin. If heads, the Defending Pokémon is now Paralyzed.

Look at my round son.

I guess you really didn't defeat GR No.4 by luck alone. I wondered if you won by luck, but I see now that it was all skill.

People have cards again, so now we can trade them!

Remember when Surfing Pikachu had Mt. Fuji in the background? Well, the Flying Pikachu is the same thing, available throughout 1998 via All Nippon Airways. You could redeem your boarding passes for this card and the flying Dragonite we saw last update and hopefully this is the last drat Pikachu I need to highlight!

Challenge Cup

Since we're liberated the island, it's Challenge Cup time! Yes they're still determined by story progress, no the game doesn't tell you a drat thing. At least one guy in the lobby trades you various cards and also does puns, so he can gently caress off.

Same as before, beat up 3 kids and win a Promo!!!

Looks like we'll be fighting Michael's new deck after all, what are the chances?

Now that's a bitch, they're my entire strategy! Michael has Primeape and Machamp, as well as one of each Hitmon to deal some damage, but always has Gastly to disrupt and even some Psychic energy to use for it and the Colourless Basics every deck has, like Vending Tauros. It also means he has 2 Bills and 1 Oak, rip.

Alright, who's next?

You'll notice we skipped over the entire Rock Club since they kept their cards and we've fought them already.

But that's cute, get outta here.

Oh hey, this is someone new.

Nice to start off with some paralysis... so Heather is someone we can't face at the moment, since we need to progress more into GR Island, but the Challenge Cup doesn't give a poo poo, it'll select any Club Member with their final deck no matter where you are in the story.

Her main way of filling up the bench is Vending Paras, which is a reskinned Call for Family.

At least Raticate had some mushrooms for lunch, but then gets paralysed into oblivion.

Dunno what you would use Mr. Fuji for that Scoop Up doesn't already do, but whatever, her strategy is overwhelming you with a full bench, but she doesn't have the energy to keep it up. But when she gets rolling with Vending Parasect and Jungle Vileplume it could be a problem. But such is draws when you only have the 1 Oak. Poor, dumb AI.

What can I say, my rat just can't help itself.

Well that was fun. Finally we get a new Promo and it's totally different to the other Mewtwo Promo, it's a slight edit to the Gen 1 artwork and it's flipped! Well the JP one was first released at the 7th Next Generation World Hobby Fair in Dec 1997, with the English version released through Nintendo Power in Apr 2000, getting new artwork due to being pretty similar to the other Mewtwo Promo from the first movie. Otherwise, it's an alright card, with the first attack useful disruption while you build it up.

Stop

We fought Murray and Stephanie before, while Robert and Daniel have to wait until later, so another club to skip!

I've gotten a few cards from Ken after we were freed from that cage. If I don't keep battling, my fire will burn down to nothing. C'mon! Let's have a duel! We'll burn brightly with 4 prize cards in this match!

DUEL? DUEL!!!

We'll use a new deck for the second half of the island, so here's Dark Raichu and Dark Magneton by FoolyCharged. This Promo Pikachu is probably the best one to use, since you can charge it up in 2 turns and deal some drat good damage.

So good I got away with it twice. It's actually kinda funny, Adam is using a Fire/Lightning deck and he's also using Raichu and Magneton! Also has Rapidash and Ninetales to do some heavy damage on both sides with enough energy for both. It can be a pain fighting him with a Water deck.

Oh no, it's turned bad! Raichu isn't too crazy, but spreads a fair bit of damage around and requires 2 heads to get its full potential, but also getting 0 bench damage is lame. It also has some interesting history in that it was the first Secret Rare and caused the Rocket expansion to be delayed in NA due to Wizards having to get approval from Nintendo to make this card and have it as the Secret Rare.

I've completely burned out! I've got to remember to watch my blaze when I'm duelling you!

I hid this deck before we were attacked! Fire! 4 prize cards! Fire!

Ah nuts, time for the other side and the Vending Magnemite's Power lets us search for Magnemite if we get the coin flip.

Which comboes nicely with Rocket Magnemite that has an attack that deals up to 40 damage for how many Magnemite, Magneton or Dark Magneton you have on the bench. Pretty powerful attack, but we need to get lucky for it.

And then 10 damage wherever, but we're getting roasted and we're not even Steel yet! As you'd expect, Jonathan uses Fire, with Kangaskhan being the only exception. Burning you away with Arcanine and Charmeleon, with plenty of Energy Retrieval and plenty of energy.

A bit fragile and not too crazy, Dark Magneton can ignore resistance and shift energy around, which is way more useful on multiple energy decks. Otherwise it's a way to make your opponent unable to attack and hopefully survive a couple attacks.

That duel ousted my fire! If you want another battle, just say the password: FIIIIRE!

Can't fight John or Ken, so onwards!

Naturally, you're up for playing Pokemon cards with me, right? I propose we use 4 prize cards!

Gotta give the nerds their weekly swirlies.

Microwave: Does 20 damage to 1 of your opponent’s Pokémon. Don’t apply Weakness or Resistance. Then, flip a coin. If heads, discard 1 Energy card attached to that Pokémon.

While it isn't too useful, this Vending Magneton can also do a fair bit of bench damage and disrupt with energy discard, but pure damage is preferable most of the time and it's a lot of setup for not much of it, so it depends if you really need something like that.

You should work harder to study decks built around science research. I'm not in Team GR, of course, but they also use science-themed cards.

Easy enough, Erik, named wrongly in this patch, has a full Nidoran deck, 2 Nidoqueen, 2 Nidoking, which doesn't make Boyfriends sting that much, but it's better than nothing. Has a couple Breeders to help with that as well as a couple of Colourless, like the Vending Tauros, Lickitung and Clefairy, because every deck needs Colourless!

However, I've collected enough cards to duel with you. Want to play? I'm partial to duels with 4 prize cards!

Aw man, at least he isn't using any of his 4 Defenders!

Christ almighty, that's not weakness damage, Focus Energy lets Horn Rush hit for 80 damage, if you flip heads on the attack. At least, uh, I could show this off. Haha.

Thankfully even though his Nidoran M are kicking my rear end, he's running out of energy to put on stuff cause it keeps getting moved. We're facing another Nidoking, but it's joined by Arbok and Weezing, so poison is the name of the game. Along with 4 Potions and the aforementioned Defenders, it becomes a bit tricky to knock out his stuff before poison damage does.

Yes! Just as expected! Here, these booster packs are yours! By earning booster packs, you get stronger and stronger. As long as you use that strength to save Rick, I'm happy losing.

Only 2 clubs left to check out and we've already fought Heather, so we won't be coming back even when she gets her deck back, that's convenient!

Beautiful gardens call for beautiful card battles, right? Then let's set aside 4 prize cards.

I sleep.

Quick Attack: Flip a coin. If heads, this attack does 10 damage plus 20 more damage.

Thunderbolt: Discard all Energy cards attached to Raichu.

Let's see what Dark Raichu is dreaming about. Oh? All it's longing for is to relax at home and to give em a Dunderbolt. Goals right there.

Time for Magnemite to go on a rampage. Kristin gets her deck name from Venomoth, even if we won't see it, it's pretty neat, but Venom Powder would be much better without the coin flip. Oh well, at least you can Shift your type to an enemy's weakness, or failing that, a resistance. Otherwise her deck is split between some Colourless, like Porygon and Wigglytuff and other strong hitters like Scyther, as well as Potions and Full Heals all Grass decks seem to have.

It was my loss. You really are a strong kid! Please come back if you'd like to play again.

You've done me a great favor, and I thank you whole-heartedly. Even though it's been a while, could I have a card battle with you? I like to have battles using 6 prize cards. Please try to relax and not get worked up.

Club Master Battle

At least we're able to face some Club Masters. Aside from Gene, at this point, only Nikki has her cards back and we'll be able to face the others when we free them. Hopefully this Caterpie doesn't paralyze us too much!

We're gonna be here a while.

This is looking familiar, wonder what deck she has.

Please let me go.

Oh boy, this is a problem. Thankfully the AI won't over energy, so this is the worst we'll get.

Nothing a Super Energy Removal can't fix. And just in time too! Nice strategy, too bad it only works for me!

And then she had the big brained idea to move energy from her active onto Venusaur so she couldn't attack. Thanks for the free prize card!

I see what's she trying to build up to, but let's snipe something instead, even though we could easily beat it! Since she only has Venusaur, Exeggutor and Butterfree, she could get her strategy rolling pretty quickly, this deck is still no joke. 4 Bills and 2 Breeders make this a lot more likely too!

I had a lot of fun in our battle, Minto. Please do your best in your fights on GR Island. Feel free to come back to our club. I'll be waiting for your return.

Do you feel like duelling me with my newfound freedom? Umm... let's use 4 prize cards. Sound good?

Only one fight to work with weakness, which is why I left it to last!

Though a lucky Quick Attack means we won't roll over this too quickly.

She's not getting Vaporeon, so Eevee is gonna run away. This Intro Wartortle does consistent damage with Surf and is one of the best attackers of her deck, along with Lapras and Seadra. She also has some Poliwag and lots of Water energy, so she won't be running out of mons to throw at you anytime soon.

She just comes right back in with a lucky boosted Quick Attack and claims another prize, quit it!!!

So that's how you beat the others... Minto, you're so strong! If you feel like challenging me again, come back to the Water Club! You're free to do as you like, of course.

Alright, that's enough distractions, we can't fight Amanda or Amy yet, so it's time to finally take down a criminal organisation, overthrow their king and free prisoners of war. You know, card games!

Crosspeice fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Feb 11, 2020

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

We're beginning our proper assault on GR Island, so if you want to submit some Dark Pokemon for me to use, now is a great time, and I'm not just saying this because I don't have many decks left to use!

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Mr. Fuji lets you keep the cards attached to the (benched only) pokemon since it sends everything to the deck, Scoop Up lets yo ugrab any pokemon but you have to discard the cards attached, including evolutions since it specifies "basic"

Seems like the intent is you'd use it if you're worried about losing some energy, items or evolutionary stages. Since her whole shtick is limited energy to accomodate her big bench & Vileplume beater, makes sense to give her the "safer" alternative.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

For some reason, I find her first claim here hard to believe.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Hey there, card games were wearing on me a little so I took a break and I'm back and ready to party! Uh, mostly, apparently all the Bulbapedia articles for this game got overhauled during my break, so I can show off all the portraits! Yes this is exciting for me. Also just gives me a more consistent resource.

In the mean time, please feel free to suggest more decks, I'm really excited to show off some more stuff, cause this game still has a good chunk to it and sorry for delaying Team Great Rocket's proper debut for so long!

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Part 6: Meet Team Great Rocket

GR X Encount- hey, wait a minute!

You... you're not a member of Team GR! It also seems that you're in possession of Pokemon cards, too... that's good! I'd love to see your play style! Is it possible that you could oust my Dark Pokemon? Let's duel, Minto! Start the 6-prize battle!

Boy, I wonder who this is. This is a bit of an awkward start, you might think, with Psychic against Colourless, but this Dark Alakazam and Dark Hypno deck from Haifisch has a few tricks up its sleeve.

But surprise, we can handle the infinite Colourless decks these games love throwing at us! Dark Kadabra is super drat fragile, but 2 energy for 30 damage no matter what is very, very nice. Sure, it means you lose the Psychic mirror, but they're pretty uncommon, but you know exactly what is common. It, uh, it's Colourless. And throwing away cards to draw more is nice, can pair with Revive, or Nightly Garbage Run. But again, will die super easily.

But, uh, even though there's Dark Muk, Dark Golbat, Dark Raticate and Dark Persian... that didn't really matter if he only puts one thing down. Guess they weren't worried.

I've been using this disguise to spy on the area's activity. Take these booster packs! Hopefully they'll help you beat Team GR!

Should be seeing more of these booster packs here on this island.

Members of Team GR utilize Dark Pokemon in their decks. They only fight challengers if their decks meet certain conditions. Moreover, some have also added special duelling rules! Battle with the rules in mind and take advantage of their odd effects. Otherwise, you may find it hard to win. Anyway, I'll see ya around! I'll keep up with my spywork. Good luck, Minto.

GR Grass Fortress

RECEPTIONIST: Allow me to tell you about your opponents and explain the rules. The Leader of the Grass Fortress is a man named Parker. In order to fight him, you must first defeat 3 GR Fortress members. You'll learn about each member's special battle rules inside. That is all. Please enjoy duelling in Team GR's Grass Fortress.

The receptionists never really mention much, simply who's in charge and how many members you'll face. We're unable to progress further into the island, or well, we sometimes can, but you'll see later. But first, let's check the side room, because of course we should!

There's new promos to be had! Now, this is different to the one we can get in the Game Center, this is identical to the Base Set Venusaur, except with artwork by Ken Sugimori, wow! So this was another send in promotion to Media Factory, between Feb and July 1998, using a flyer found in the album of Trade Please! by Suzukisan, along with any 2 TCG cards. You selected which course you went on via the flyer, A for Charizard, B for Blastoise and C for Venusaur, and got promo cards of those mons in return, as well as a promo Trade Please card, which... well, I'll just show you, since it's not in this game.

Look at your opponent's hand and choose 1 card there. Then, show your opponent your hand and have him or her choose 1 card there. Ask your opponent if you may switch those cards.
If your opponent accepts, switch those cards.
If your opponent declines, draw 2 cards. (You can't play this card if you have no cards in your hand other than this card or if your opponent has no cards in his or her hand.)

Of course, this is an illustration by Imakuni?. The scope of covering all the promos in this game is starting to sink in, yes. ANYWAY, it's GR time, let's kick some butt!

I'm Melissa, one of the members of Team GR's Grass Fortress. It's nice to finally meet you. I was told you would be coming! As per Team GR's orders, you must fight me to open this gate! So, will you have a duel with me? Win, and you'll get some new cards. Of course, you may also advance and will free this guy behind me. Isn't he the Master of the Science Club on your island? He's free to go... if you can defeat me, of course. Okeydokey! We'll have a pleasant match with 4 prize cards!

:siren: GR Battle :siren:

Alright, our first GR fight on home turf. And surprise, they're not a bunch of masked mooks! Also the music is still as fantastic as ever.

We'll beat this Weedle up with Vending Abra and Dark Kadabra. Psychic Beam is nice at the start to just deal 10 damage wherever.

Let's get rid of the Colourless, then let Dark Hypno have its moment.

Unfortunately she doesn't have much on the bench, surprise for an AI, but we don't have much to worry about this Metapod. Pssh.

Ah, well that went south quick. Turns out Psychic weak Psychics hate confusion!

Butterfree is scary, but we can take one hit with this Clefairy Doll! No, wait, it doesn't come with that attack... this Vending Hypno does!

Power: Puppet Master
If a Clefairy Doll is your Active Pokémon, it may use any of this Pokémon's attacks as long as this Pokémon has enough Energy cards attached to it to pay for that attack's Energy cost. (The Clefairy Doll can make that attack even if it does not have the appropriate number or type of Energy attached to it necessary to make the attack.)

Mind Shock
This attack's damage isn't affected by Weakness or Resistance.

Don't want your main cards getting hurt? Send an army of dolls their way. So long as this card has 2 Psychic energy, then you can attack for free with as many Clefairy Dolls you have. And since they count as items, it's pretty easy to get them back with Item Finder or Recycle. I'm only using the one, but it can work pretty alright, though the AI usually likes dragging them in to KO them, can't resist.

Let's have the star of the show finish up, since it can do a fair bit of damage. While it's super fragile, swapping it out with Teleport Blast is great fun and only needing 3 energy gives it a fair bit of utility, since you also don't have to switch. You can also just blast fools for that little bit extra, especially since the tanky Colourless don't mind 30 damage all that much. Definitely a useful card.

Oh yeah, Melissa has a buggy deck, using pretty much all of them, as well as some Colourless mons. She's only got 1 each of Butterfree and Beedrill, so it's unlikely you'll face them, relying on Venomoth more. But she can heal and support her Scyther, so watch out!

I did my best. I have no regrets. Because you defeated my deck, I'll open the gate. Rick will be free to leave his cage as well.

Please take this card as thanks for your valiant rescue.

Eat: Put 1 Food counter on Hungry Snorlax. You can't use this attack if Hungry Snorlax already has 2 Food counters on it.

Rollout: You may remove any number of Food counters from Hungry Snorlax. If you do, this attack does 20 damage plus 30 damage for each Food counter you removed. If you don't, this attack does 20 damage.

Uh, sure, why not. If you can stick around for a fair few turns, then eating for 2 turns will do more damage overall than 3 Rollouts, uh, barely. Seems like a lot of doing nothing for not much damage, since 80 over 3 turns is pretty rubbish. Anyway, this was originally released as an N64 bundle package, but later reprinted to be included in the Pokemon Song Best Collection CD.

As for me, I'm going to return to the Science Club. Feel free to stop by when you're back on our island. I'd be more than happy to have a duel or two with you if you're game.

You may proceed to the next room. James is waiting for you there. You'll battle him, too, correct?

If I do, there's no way the King of Team GR will forgive me!

C'mon, let's go, Minto!! 4 prize cards, then! I'll show you the true strength of my deck!

So we've unmasked one of the GR numbers. Interesting that he's only the second rung out of four, but went to invade our island. Still, since Dark Hypno is easy to set up, I think we'll have some fun.

Bats! They're weak to Psychic so it's easy enough to overwhelm him aaaaand oh we've won.

James had few mons, but they were nasty, like Dark Venusaur, Dark Golbat, which we'll go over for the heck of it, and Vending Haunter, which does more damage the more Prize Cards your opponent has taken, nasty! He also has an uneven split of Grass and Psychic energy, which explains his slowness.

Dark Golbat is fragile and doesn't do much damage, mainly being there to overwhelm the opponent with constant evolutions and sniping the bench. Nothing else to it though. This card changed a bit in localization, Sneak Attack didn't apply Weakness and Resistance originally, and Flitter failed to mention having other effects occurring after dealing damage, such as Machamp's Strike Back, making it a pretty free attack.

*sigh*... it seems like all I do anymore is sigh... man, I sometimes wonder if you're unbeatable, kid. Well, a loss is a loss. I'll open the doors. Open Sesame! Go quickly! Liz is waitin' for you in the other room. She's so much stronger than me! So go on already!

I am Liz. Of course, I am also a member of Team GR. I am addressing Minto, the child defying Team GR, correct? I suppose you're looking to battle Parker for a GR Grass Coin. In order to get through to him, though, you'll need to defeat me. Then let's duel! ...but I want to finish tending to these flowers... but battles come before begonias. I have special terms for duelling. I only fight against decks with Grass as their only energy cards. That is my only condition. Up for a duel, Minto? Oh, your deck only has Grass energy. Great, we may begin our fight, then! We shall have a duel with 4 prize cards!

So here's a "fun" twist, some members of Team GR can't be fought unless your deck has specific conditions. This is a big reason why I'm accepting a wide variety of decks from all types, we're gonna need them! It also means previous decks will get an extra fight in the spotlight, but we'll be back to the Alakazam/Hypno deck soon enough.

This also lets those we're facing to softly counter what we're bringing, since we're forced to use Grass energy. Now that's not a big deal if we were to wrangle Charizard into this, since she's using a pretty standard Dark Arbok and Dark Weezing deck, but she's also got Charmeleon just to roast your Grass types, which- wait she only has Grass energy too. Meaning she can only use Slash. Huh. Also you can't rely on powers much, since she has Gas Goop Attack, which disables them until the end of the opponent's turn.

Since we're bringing back the Arbok and Weezing deck, might as well throw in the Bad versions of them. If you've got a lot of Super Potions, then Mass Explosion isn't a big deal, since you don't need to discard energy to heal the bench ones if you don't have any! If both players are using Weezing decks, then the numbers get pretty ridiculous, up to 160! Of course keeping everything alive is the key. And hey, if you don't want to murder everything, its second attack is pretty respectable, especially with the double Poison from the Vending Weezing.

Since we weakened a fair few things, they're easy pickings with Dark Arbok's stare, so even though she picked up 2 prizes from our Weezing going boom, it wasn't a problem.

I'm surprised. You have quite a lot of skill, Minto. Since you have defeated me, I shall open the doors leading to Parker. Please wait just a moment. ... Go on ahead. You shouldn't leave Parker waiting! I have my own business here taking care of this flower garden.

Alright, what kind of MONSTER is running a joint like this? As an aside, got any?

Yes, I am indeed Parker, but you... you are Minto, correct? I assume you're after my coveted GR Grass Coin. If that's the case, you must first challenge me to a battle and win. By the by, there are special rules when you duel here. Grass Pokemon are immune to Sleep, Poison, Paralysis, and Confusion. No status conditions at all. It's an amazing addition! Now that you're aware, shall we duel? Let's not play too quickly. We'll use 6 prize cards.

GR Fort Leader Duel

Yo, Minto! I've collected some information about the Grass GR Leader, Parker! During battles against him, Grass Pokemon are immune to Poison, Sleep, Paralysis, and Confusion! I've also got some tips on the deck he uses! It's Grass-themed, of course! His deck utilizes two Dark Pokemon cards: Gloom and Vileplume! Both of these Pokemon have powers and attacks that deal with Confusions. Some attacks Parker uses normally confuse the user, but since they are Grass-type Pokemon, the Confusion is ignored! He won't be an easy adversary! You've got to nip Dark Gloom in the bud somehow before it evolves into Dark Vileplume! Ronald O_O

Alright, being scary right out of the gate, I can respect that! As Ronald so succinctly put, Parker, and GR Fort Leaders in general, have a special condition that applies to their type. Sometimes it doesn't matter much, other times it can get real nasty. Thankfully this deck doesn't use status much, so we won't have much difficulty getting around that. It applies to both sides, so you can bring in your Grass decks and use the same strategies he is!

At least we can get the Psycho Panic Alakazam out quickly and deal some quick damage. He can't go for Swords Dance next turn or he'll faint!

GR-3 had Dark Gloom and Dark Vileplume, and they're even nastier in this fight. Sure, Dark Gloom can hit itself with its Power, but due to the status immunity, there's no risk involved! But hey, doesn't its attack deal damage and Poison? Giving us...

50 damage to transfer over to Gloom, that's right! Man this card is rad under the right conditions! Does make us a sitting duck for what's next.

Always carry a Switch, kids! Since he's been investing in other mons, he's out of energy for Kangaskhan. Not to worry, he probably thinks in 1999 AI, I can't get hit!

You're dead wrong. Dark Vileplume is super dangerous in this fight, since it disables Trainer cards, the lynchpin to all my decks, and its attack can confuse it if it deals enough damage with it, except that doesn't apply, so it can spam that attack no problem! Thankfully the chance of him getting those cards in the right order is pretty rare and Oddish and Dark Gloom are easy to snipe due to their fragility.

We saw every Pokemon line he has, since he has Wartortle and Rainbow Energy to stop your Fire types running too rampant. Otherwise he could get lucky finding stuff with Computer Search, as well as Trader and Breeder, he really wants that Vileplume!

Additionally, to show your victory, I must give you the GR Grass Coin.

With that coin, you will be allowed to enter the GR Electric Fortress. Come visit again if you'd ever like to battle in nature's magnificence!

One fortress down! It wasn't too tough, but of course the limitations and conditions will get trickier. In case you were wondering, we can only visit some facilities after clearing others.

GR Lighting Fortress

And any facilities we can reach, as we can go to others aside from Lightning, we're coin gated, so let's continue on!

Why does he keep forwarding these emails about an Orre prince???

Neat.

Oh hey I wonder if Imakuni? got his cards back yet.

Oh look it's this drat Pikachu again. Stop calling me!!!

I've heard rumors about you. What are you doing here, though? ...I guess I should introduce myself first, eh? The name's Peter. I came to this island because Team GR fascinates me. I've been having battles with many different Team GR members. I've compiled a cool deck from my victories. Care to have a duel? If you beat me, I'll give you a booster pack or two. Good to hear! We'll use 4 prize cards.

Regular Duel Against Regular Guy

So, uh, do you know this guy? What? I don't know this guy, I thought you knew him! Anyway, let's see what this guy is up to.

Interesting, but trying to screw me over with Colourless mons won't work!

Guard: As long as Snorlax is your Active Pokémon, the Defending Pokémon can't Retreat. This power stops working when Snorlax is affected by a Special Condition.

Roll Over: Snorlax is now Asleep. Flip a coin. If heads, the Defending Pokémon is now Asleep.

This guy, uh, sure loves Snorlax. This Vending Snorlax is definitely a stallmon, but drat that's a lot of energy for not a great attack. The important thing is the artwork, it was part of the first illustration contest available to Corocoro readers in Nov 1997. This was 1 of 3 that won, all of them are in this game, as well as the winner of the second illustration contest from Apr 1998.

Oh hey, wanna see Clefairy Doll be MVP and win the match? Peter has an alright deck, with Dark Raichu and Dark Dragonite, with Snorlax to bide time to set them up. As you can see it wasn't hugely impressive, it isn't a bench damage deck like the name would imply, more his bench is scary and looks bigger than it is? Dark Dragonite will be seen in future I'm sure, it's lucky we had ways around the Snorlax, AI can't resist placing them down!

Waah!! ...oh, please excuse me. I guess I lost. I'll give you your booster packs immediately. If you'd be up for it, I'd love a rematch sometime.

We're never gonna see him again. Next time, our next Fortress awaits!

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Deck suggestions suggestions are endless, especially so we cover all the types and let's me show off most Dark Pokemon.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
Have we seen a Pidgeot centered deck yet?

I always tried to make one work in the first game. Don't know if I ever succeeded

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Are you planning to use cheats to unlock all the cards at some point? If so, I'd love to see you donk the AI with a Legendary Zapdos deck. Something like:

4 Legendary Zapdos
4 Legendary Articuno
3 Chansey
4 Bill
4 Professor Oak
4 Computer Search
4 Item Finder
4 Scoop Up
4 Super Scoop Up
4 Mr. Fuji
4 Bill's Teleporter
4 Recycle
4 Poke Ball
4 Maintenance
4 Pokemon Trader
1 Here Comes Team Rocket!

You can't attack, but by scooping up and repeatedly replaying Zapdos, you should be able to win most games on the first turn.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
I'd like to see some Dark Golbat shenanigans. Admittedly, I have no idea if they're viable at all. The card looks really cool, sneaky sniper and all that, but seems to be lacking in the numbers department.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

That Hypno gimmick is really cool and they should use it again in the modern era

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Part 7: Electrifying Progress

Lightning Fort

If you can beat me in a card battle, you can enter the next room. But I have a request all challengers must agree on first... sorry! Please include 4 Pikachu cards in your active deck before we start. I don't mean Flying Pikachu, either. Just regular cute Pikachu cards. Are you willing to do that and have a duel with me? You have... 4 Pikachu cards, right? Thank you very much. As for prize cards... please place 4, okay?

Oh isn't it handy we already had a Pikachu deck we used earlier. Having a wide variety of decks is pretty handy in this game, but the game is easy enough that you can spare 4 slots for Pikachu. They make great Computer Search discards!

Still, even with the best deck, it doesn't matter if you can't find a second mon!

Let's try that again, this time using some magnets! Pikachu just charges up and oneshots us, but such is life.

Of course since we have to use Pikachu, Cassie gets cheeky with some Fighting mons like Marowak and Sandslash. Bit rude, but we can take it.

Uh, barely.

Best get evolving that furball, cause the real mascot is here to win!

Quick as a flash, due to how ridiculously fragile this thing is, Dark Jolteon mainly relies on evading the next attack, unless you're feeling lucky with Thunder Attack. Taking away a fifth of its health if you get the wrong flip is pretty bad, but 30 damage is pretty standard, so maybe you'll stick around for a bit. Otherwise, Cassie uses Electabuzz for quick damage, as we saw, as well as Intro sits-in-its-house Raichu, pretty simple deck, nothing some Pikachu can't handle.

Minto, you're really strong, aren't you? You have my respect. Even moreso since you freely came to GR Island and you're fighting alone. That takes some real courage. I'd like to be courageous, too... I'm going to try my best to be just as brave as you! Now to input the password so the doors will open... the next room is guarded by Chip. We also have a Grand Master there. Please try your best, as Chip is a strong card player.

The amazing leader GR No.3! That's right! You may have beaten me before, but you can't defeat me here!

I have a special requirement for challengers here, however! The only energy allowed in your deck is Electric energy! I won't play against a deck containing any other energy type! A victory here wins you some cards and the release of our Grand Master. The one named... Stan or something? Anyway, he's fine. Aha! So your deck does have purely Electric-type energy cards. In that case, let's duel! We'll use 4 prize cards!!

Welp, looks like we're using the Pikachu deck again. It's just too convenient. Since Magnemite had its fun, Pikachu needs its time to shine. It has been about 5 minutes since it was last on your screen, after all.

He sit.

He get hit by Selfdestruct. Ow.

But since we charge up first with Pikachu, we can win the mirror, it's a pretty drat good card! Chip has dropped his weird Grass and Fire deck from before and goes all Electric, with Dark Magneton and Dark Electrode as the highlights, along with Flying Pikachu and Zapdos. Not surprised he didn't evolve anything considering he has 22 Pokemon cards and 1 Oak. Better luck next time, eh?

I didn't expect to be defeated with such brute force. Alrighty, then, Minto! I'll keep my word! There's a special method to open that capture pod. Okay, you. Go stand in front of the pod.

I was captured because I wasn't able to beat Team GR. Here, take this gift.

Hold it, Stan!

What is it?

Take these booster packs to redistribute over there, will you?

Oh, thanks a lot, sir. You're a good man. Say, Minto, you'd like to fight against me at the Pokemon Dome, right? I'll be there waiting for you!

I must follow the rules of Team GR's Lightning Fortress. I'll open the doors leading to Catherine for you now!

A shorter fortress this time, but no need to extend it if you don't need to. Oh yeah, this is your last chance to do TCG Island's Challenge Cup, since they're more stealthily tied to plot progress.

Oh! You're Minto! So you've finally come here. I suppose you wish to fight for ownership of a GR Thunder Coin. But this won't be your ordinary card battle. All damage done by Electric-type Pokemon is increased by 10. Knowing that, then, is your deck good to go? We'll use 6 prize cards. Fight! Fight! Thunder Fight! Let's make some sparks!

GR Fort Leader Duel

Minto! I hope you're well! I have information about Team GR's Electric Leader, Cathering! She uses a rule called "Thunder Charge" that powers up her Electric attacks, doing +10 extra damage! That means that Electric Pokemon attacks that do 10 damage would then do 20 damage! Catherine's deck uses many Electric Pokemon, including Pikachu, Voltorb, Dark Jolteon, and Dark Raichu! Will you make your own deck of Electric Pokemon and try to overpower hers? How well you do is up to you and what strategy you use! Ronald (O__O)

Good we're starting off with Doduo, since Catherine is pretty drat scary, 10 extra damage per Electric attack adds up very quickly, so you could get swept pretty early.

Oh hey, remember this attack? Now imagine if it could 2 shot our entire deck!

Best way for us to get around it is to peace out, brutha.

Oh yeah, Speedball does 30 damage for 1 energy, absolutely terrifying!

Since Dark Alakazam is our best, if fragile, attacker, we gotta scoop if we wanna win this.

Well that's a dead Hypno. Catherine has a very quick deck that uses Dark Jolteon, Dark Raichu, Voltorb and Doduo. And that's it, she attacks quickly and pretty drat hard in that short time, so her little variety really works in her favour. She also has 4 Bills and 3 Potions, making me almost think she's one of the deadliest opponents we've faced thus far.

Thankfully being able to keep our main attacker healthy while also being able to oneshot Voltorb makes this fight a lot more forgiving. Still, the effect works for both sides, so you can absolutely obliterate her with your own Lightning deck!

Using that coin, you may enter both the GR Fire and GR Water Fortresses. It's all you, Minto! Go, go, go!

We won't be visiting those fortresses just yet, as something more interesting is on the horizon.

:siren: GR Challenge Cup :siren:

Now we have a second Challenge Cup to miss out on when we forget stuff! We have until we beat the second of the two Fort Leaders we just unlocked to clear this Challenge Cup.

That's the third one we can get.

Despite the Thunderdome aesthetic, the cup is exactly the same as the TCG Island one, beat 3 in a row and claim a hopefully not poo poo promo card.

HOSTESS: You've done well surviving this long, Jess! Here's our next challenger, Minto! Let's see... if my information is correct, Minto is Team GR's rival! Are you both ready? Place your 4 prize cards first! Now then!! Start the competition!

GR Member Duel

First of three! Like the TCG Island Challenge Cup, who we face is completely random, so any regular fort member could pop up, spoilers!

Since the Dark Weezing, Dark Arbok and Dark Persian deck only got a bit of the spotlight in the Grass Fortress, so we'll finish its run here. Lots of nice status to throw around, always a good time.

We'll go over the actual cards we're facing when we face the peep for realsies.

Doing alright so far, so let's throw it all away.

I'm really struggling, why is it so bad??? Both of its attacks are practically trash, sure you can drag in something big with the first attack, but that's not really gonna stop them? Then you've got to flip to land the poison and do piddly damage until they die? Big woop, especially with how fragile you are as well. Not all Dark cards are created equal, and a fair few of them are just too mediocre or frail to do anything of note.

The AI also isn't giving Dark Persian much of a chance. That's a surprise.

But sure, we'll say it softened them up for us.

Oh hey someone we already faced. Bit of a shame, but it'll only get more likely the more of these cups we do.

We're using the same deck against her, but her restriction of only Grass energy obviously doesn't apply here.

Woah, Dark Persian got a kill, stop the presses!

We could plink away for a million years against these guys, so let's speed it up a bit and explode on them.

Ah, much faster, Hey, you guys suggested, so I show it. Doesn't mean it's any good lol.

Team GR sure has a lot of variety...

Any before battle restrictions don't apply in Challenge Cups, but their in-battle rules are absolutely still a thing. That's not too big a deal, but it can hurt some bench damage decks.

It's Dark Arbok's turn, so it'll Stare at stuff and make them hurt slightly.

Hurts a fair bit, but when we get to Poison, they tend to run away.

See, like that.

The trick to winning these fights, aside from the enemy running out of energy, is to have an identical mon to move in when one gets defeated. Flawless, really.

Ah poo poo that was the reward??? Abort, abort!

A card so good they released it twice! This promo was released as an insert in Volume 3 of Pokemon Card Fan Club in Nov 1997, though when it was released as a Wizards Promo in Nintendo Power Aug 2000, Giovanni was removed and it was replaced with a standard holographic starry background. Boo.

Well wasn't that fun, we've got 2 fortresses ahead of us, so we'll cover them next time, making this a little short. But hey, let's at least meet the locals.

Oh hey it's the most sought after card in the game. Again. Obtained through the same way as Venusaur, this time through the A course.

Next time, we'll plunge into lava and water to get the next 2 coins!

Crosspeice fucked around with this message at 06:18 on Mar 18, 2020

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Releasing a promo version of a released card with just a Sugimori artwork on it may in fact be the worst type of promo, even ignoring how absolutely aful dark persian is to play to begin with.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

How about something with Dark Gyarados, Dark Charizard, and Dark Dragonite?

You know, some bad dragons.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Part 8: You're Hot Then You're Cold

Okay, so if I mix in a pinch of ginger now... no, I should stop and think this over first! I'm Jess, a member of Team GR! Bernard has given me orders to improve my cooking skills. 4 prize battles go quickly, so let's use that amount!

Team GR Duel

For a good chunk of this update we'll be using this Dark Dugtrio and Dark Marowak deck called Emo Kid, by Slaan. The Diglett line were monsters in the Base set, so let's see how the other sets fare.

Dark Dugtrio works pretty well, chance of doing 40 damage and makes the AI stop switching so drat much.

Go Underground: As long as this Pokémon is on your Bench, prevent all damage done to this Pokémon by attacks (both yours and your opponent's).

Earth Wave: This attack does 10 damage to up to 2 of your opponent's Benched Pokémon. (Don't apply Weakness or Resistance for Benched Pokémon.)

This'll be Dugtrio's first fight, we'll see Marowak later. This Promo is nice and tanky, taking no damage on the bench and does a fair bit of spread damage for your other Dugtrio EQ shenanigans. Pretty alright card but the Base Dugtrio is just too good.

Oh hey you could fail the retreat and give me the last prize, fine by me! This is a mistranslation, when the opponent is flipping a coin, tails is usually the activating effect, so just do the opposite of what it says. Anyway, Jess has a lot of Fire energy and a lot of discard to use them with, like Dark Rapidash and Base Arcanine. Extras include Vending Magmar, which can discard all Fire energy for big damage, and the ubiquitous Kangaskhan.

GR Fire Fort

Next, I'll open the doors leading to Kara's room. When I press this switch, it should open. You're free to advance onward. I hope you go quickly!

Umm... and... what was it? (Uhh... I announce myself first, and then battle after that...) I am the mighty Kara of Team GR! So, I'm cooking for Minto... no, wait, we're supposed to duel! I challenge you to a card duel, Minto! If you defeat me, I'll give you a booster pack!

Umm. A battle against me... is that it? (What cards should be allowed...? Only Fire energy...) A card battle against me comes with a special condition! The only type of energy cards allowed in your deck are Fire-type! Are you ready to fight using such a deck? We'll play to 4 prize cards!

We'll bring the Ninetales and Arcanine deck back out for this fight, this Rocket Charmander can move energy onto itself and only needs 1 to do 20 damage, it's a good start!

Kara tries to catch you out by using Squirtle and Dodrio, which don't need specific energy as she only has Fire. However, I do have a set up Arcanine, so, uh...

Yeah, that happened. She has Dark Charizard and even 4 Bills, but the AI will always struggle with evolutions without Breeder. Also to pair with her various Basics, she scoops them up and also loves removing your energy to draw everything out so Charizard can get set up.

Uhh... when I'm defeated in a duel... (If you lose, remember to open the locked doors.) I will now open the doors that lead the way to Ellen! Open Sesame Seeds! Now it's all up to Ellen!

You and I... a card battle... you must fight... if you win... that woman... Grand Master... Courtney... will get... her freedom... battle... special condition... Eevee... 4 contained... in deck... comply... then battle... prizes... 4...

Now we could use an Eeveelution deck, but no one's suggested it yet, so we'll shove 4 Eevee into this deck to use as Computer Search sacrifices. Vending Cubone either does 30 damage to the Active or 10 damage to the bench.

[F][F] Bone Headbutt: Does a randomly selected amount of damage (0, 10, or 20) to 1 of your opponent's Benched Pokémon chosen at random. Then, switch that Pokémon with the Defending Pokémon.

Dark Marowak is very interesting in that it's a GB exclusive card that also wasn't made into a real card and it does some alright damage, the swap is the main disruption and is pretty handy, even if you can't pick which mon it is.

Get back here!

Little less scary since it's not being boosted, but can still be dangerous if you get unlucky.

Easy enough, Ellen doesn't really counter you using an Eevee deck, but she uses both Dark Jolteon and Dark Flareon, as well as Charmeleon and Electabuzz. She's quite split between energy so she usually doesn't get what she wants and her entire deck is pretty fragile, we just got a little lucky with weakness, since I don't remember what decks are used beforehand.

You're... strong... ...Courtney... free...

But... oh ho ho... I'm so happy that you came to rescue me, Minto. Because I'm so relieved, I'll give you this card!

Please use it to empower your future card battles! Oh ho ho... I think I'll return to the Pokemon Dome. Remember, the Pokemon Dome... I'll be waiting! Oh ho ho!

...Bernard... ...go...

I'm also the head chef. But you don't look like a cook... before we get down to business, listen up. When our team puts special cards in our decks, we mean to use them. Putting pointless cards in a deck is a folly we don't aim to perform. Every card should be useful in a duel to claim a true victory! That's the ambition of the great Team GR. It's also the vision of our prestigious leader, King Villicci. Keep that in mind when you meet any of our talented members.

Now that we're acquainted, we may start our card battle. As the other Fortress Leaders, I have special duelling rules. Around this flowing lava, Fire Pokemon are especially robust. In fact, their common weakness to Water is effectively ignored! Keep that on your mind, if you're ready, let's cook! We'll use 6 prize cards. I'm interested to see just how well you can cook!

GR Fort Leader Duel

Minto! It's me, Ronald! I just got some intel regarding Team GR's Fire Leader, Bernard! He surrounds himself with hot lava! Because of that, Fire Pokemon in his room don't have a weakness to Water. In other words, his Fire Pokemon have no weaknesses whatsoever! What's more, his deck is themed around Fire-type Pokemon cards!! That means he doesn't have to worry about weakness at all! Fighting him certainly won't be a walk in the park! Think hard about strategy when you build your deck, Minto! Ronald (O__O)

Good thing we don't have to worry about weakness, but 20 damage for 1 energy is annoyingly common in the first few turns, so hopefully we beat it down quick.

Softening up is pretty handy, giving us an early lead.

[F] Perplex: Your opponent flips a coin. If tails, your opponent doesn't draw a card at the beginning of his or her next turn.

[F][F][C] Nine Tails: Flip 9 coins. This attack does 10 damage times the number of heads.

And there goes our lead... Dark Ninetales is GB only, never made into a proper card, and for good reason, Nine Tails is a nuts attack! If you get lucky, that's pretty crazy damage for only 3 energy and it even has a cool animation as well! No matter, if we get one boosted Knockdown, then it won't be a problem.

That was close, can we clutch it out?

No, but thankfully I always build one in the back.

Unfortunately so did he. Again, since the opponent makes us flip the coin, it's a mistranslation, so do the opposite.

Man, Dark Dugtrio is having a rough time.

Our last line in the GB Marowak which can only do 10 damage, so this is gonna be close!

Base Diglett secures the kill! Bernard has all Fire mons, so he truly has no weaknesses, using Trader to get the right Pokemon and Pluspower to overwhelm you while you're unable to overwhelm him. He also had Dark Charmeleon and Fossil Magmar, but Ninetales is honestly enough, snipe those Vulpix asap.

The way you handle your cards has shown me a thing or two. I'd love to see how Villicci handles your imaginative playstyle. Here, take this: the GR Fire coin.

I suppose you'll be visiting the GR Water Fortress next, eh? I wonder just how far you'll make it on this island... I hope you'll return sometime for a casual duel or two.

GR-X Encounter

Be thankful I'm not really part of Team GR! It's me, Ronald!!

Is that coin you have the GR Fire coin? Cool, but you'll need another coin to enter the GR Fighting Fortress. If I'm not mistaken, that coin is the GR Water coin! The GR Fighting Fortress seems to be a much larger fort than this. It's been a while since we met, though, Minto! I'm here to see if you've been getting stronger like I've been! Let's have a 6-prize card duel! Win, and I'll give you a cool card!

Been a little bit since we last fought Ronald, he'll always fight you after the Fire or Water fortress, whichever you do first. A few things also change, beating the first of these two leaders unlocks the 2nd TCG Island Challenge Hall, so can't forget about that. Beating the second leader ends the 1st GR Challenge Hall.

Imposter Oak's Revenge makes us shuffle our hand and draw 4 cards. Can be useful, but you usually don't want your opponent to redraw their hand, not that the AI needs much help in bricking. In the meantime, Diglett can Peck this blob.

drat Focus Energy!

But we're out of the woods for the moment, so many Kangaskhan, but it means we can gear up.

Alright, I'm ready. As you can surmise, Ronald uses all 3 Eeveelutions as well as a host of Colourless, finally ending with Hitmonlee and Hitmonchan. Since all the GB Eeveelutions don't need specific energy, he's loaded up with Fighting a lots of special Colourless. It's not a bad deck, though 20 Pokemon is a bit of a hard sell.

Gimme that Kanga!

Another weird card, we'll see the intricacies in just a moment.

Still, we lucked out with the weakness, but this battle is pretty fun! Lot better than last time when Ronald decided not to put any more Basics down.

Close, but the Kanga you kept switching out is nice and low, so it won't appreciate this next bone hit.

It seems like you've gained a lot of experience fighting Team GR. Alright, a promise is a promise. Take this special card!

An interesting card, only really useful if you're completely stuck and weren't going to attack anyway, but giving your enemy more cards, cause why wouldn't they pick 5, isn't that great either, especially when they immediately get to use them. This promo was first released in the Jan 1998 issue of CoroCoro and then through the Kamex Mega Battle tournament in Jul-Aug 1998 and then again in the Pokemon Song Best Collection in Jan 1999. English versions were through local Pokemon Leagues in May 2000.

How you use that card is entirely up to you. Anyway, I'm gonna go get stronger. Fight on, Minto!

GR Water Fort

Nothing much to do but deal with this fort next. We're slowly but surely getting through them.

Much prettier, still broken as hell. This was obtained in Japan through the Trade Please campaign mentioned before using, you guessed it, the B course. It was also available through the Intro Pack as well as, you guessed it, the Pokemon Song Best Collection CD. Man that gets around. Alright, onto the main fort!

Me? I'm Jacob, one of Team GR's Water Fortress members. I used the power of Water to become one smooth dude. Just kidding! I think I've got the picture. You're Minto, right? Team GR's Water Leader, Brooke, totally admires you, kid! Have a card battle with me! If you win, I'll open the doors. But I have a special rule! I won't battle without using it! The only type of energy card you may use in your deck is Water energy! I'm sure you understand! If you've got it, let's battle! Because I like the number 4, we'll use 4 prize cards!

We've got a lost Team Aqua member here, so let's fight Water with... uh, Water. One of the non-serious suggestions from FoolyCharged was a Blastoise and Dark Blastoise deck and you know, it's not too great, but that won't stop me!

You can have up to 4 Pokemon of a specific name in your deck, so we can have 4 Blastoise and 4 Dark Blastoise in one deck, the issue is only 4 Squirtle, doesn't matter what set they're from, you can only have that many. That's why there aren't any Basic Dark Pokemon. But hey, we can make this work, Vending Squirtle ain't too bad, pretty bulky and can triple Pound's power, making it an effective combo over 2 turns. Since there's no penalty for a mulligan, it's only a matter of time until we get one to lay down at the start.

Since we can use Breeder for regular Blastoise, we can spend some time charging up Dark Wartortle for its evolution, since it's not too amazing. Doubleslap does 10 damage on average, pretty pitiful, so if you know the enemy is gonna do more than that, Mirror Shell is the option. Of course, it can only reflect back a certain amount of times and you really don't want it getting knocked out, but it can give your enemy pause for their big attacks. Gust of Wind weakens this strategy by a lot.

Okay cool, onto the main event. With Blastoise support, Dark Blastoise is able to easily deal out massive damage very quickly. While it doesn't have the god tier ability, it only requires 4 energy to hit max damage, even 30 for 2 energy is nothing to sneeze at, and can even protect itself if you get lucky, though it's somewhat fragile so maybe don't. It even does 10 more damage than Blastoise! Of course, overall the utility of Rain Dance makes Dark Blastoise a hard sell, but when Base Blastoise is only one Breeder away, pairing them up is a pretty drat good idea.

Pokemon Power: Rebirth: As often as you like during your turn (before your attack), you may use this Power. If you don't have any Staryu in your deck, this Power does nothing. Discard Dark Starmie and all cards attached to it. Then 1 random Staryu in your deck is chosen and put onto the same place. Shuffle your deck afterward. This Power can't be used if Dark Starmie is Asleep, Confused, or Paralyzed.

[W][W] Spinning Shower: Flip a coin. If heads, a number (1 or 2) of your opponent's Pokémon is chosen randomly, this attack does 20 damage to each of them. (Don't apply Weakness and Resistance.) 1 random Energy card attached to each of them is discarded.

Close, but no cigar. What a weird phrase in the modern day. Jacob tries to zap your Water deck with Electrode, or at least only uses Tackle due to not having Lightning energy, but also has Dark Vaporeon and Dark Starmie as well as plenty of energy removal and Bills to keep you stuck. Dark Starmie is, well, pretty bad. Its Power would be better if you didn't discard everything attached to it to put a defenseless Staryu in its place and its main attack does nothing if you land tails, yikes. As you can see, this was a TCG exclusive card, probably for good reason.

Keeee!! Unbelieveable! I was defeated! Aw, man! I gotta give you a booster pack! If I had it my way? I would give you diddley-squat. I'm only giving this to you because Brooke gave me special orders!! Ergh... even though I don't like it, I have to be courteous. That's another of Brooke's orders. I'll open the doors leading to Cody! Look, we're done here! Go on ahead quickly. I'm tired of seeing your face!!

We're the ones who caught and are holding Grand Master Jack! I'll release Jack and let you into the next room if you can beat me! Of course, you'll also win a free booster pack for a victory. To fight, I require opponents to use 4 Magikarp cards in their decks. I can't wait to duel. Do you want to duel me now? Magikarp... all accounted for! Set aside 4 prize cards. Alright! Let's duel!

It's the battle of the karps! Since we're forced to use Magikarp, hey, might as well use a dragon deck. Or more specifically, Dark Gyarados, Dark Charizard and Dark Dragonite by Leraika, for a literal Bad Dragon deck. It's a bit clunky, but there's one card that makes it work way better.

Unfortunately we didn't go first, so we lose the mirror, but hey we've got a nice Rocket Charmander to fight back, what's the worst that could happen?

Oh, that. Alright fine, back to karps.

Alright, this should make things much easier. Dark Dragonair is the reason this deck full of evolutions works as well since I only put 1 Dratini in to conserve as much space as possible. Getting this set up asap is the main strat to the deck as it shouldn't be doing much, even evolving itself. We will show it off later, don't you worry, but it's not much to write home about if you're using it to attack on the way to Dark Dragonite.

Depending on what energy and Basics we get first depends on who we fight with and this time it's Dark Gyarados. The Rocket Magikarp also comboes well since one of its attacks lets it evolve into Gyarados or Dark Gyarados for 3 Water energy, letting you spam Ice Beam thereafter. Final Beam is a little lame if you don't get it, but paralysis is always nice and it's consistent damage, even it's as fragile as the other Dark Pokemon.

As a hilarious aside, the Japanese text for Magikarp's evolution attack only specified Pokemon that evolved from Magikarp which meant you could use Gyarados ex from FRLG or even Gyarados-GX from a 2017 expansion, which is why it gets limited in the translation. Also, it could be used with the Recall card that let an evolution use its previous attacks, letting you stack Gyarados onto a single card. That was quickly banned for obvious reasons.

So I could whittle this Poliwhirl down and try and roll sleep a million times, but what about using something cooking in the back?

Mmm, yep, that's a Charizard alright. We'll switch back to the Marowak and Dugtrio deck to round out this fortress, but we will see Dark Charizard soon enough.

Cody is a pain in the arse to fight since he uses Dark Gyarados, Intro Wartortle and Vending Poliwhirl, all of which can paralyze, the latter can also Confuse and Sleep too! He has plenty of Pluspowers and Bills to ensure he does as much damage while doing it too, along with removing your energy. We got pretty lucky we managed to avoid most of it, since he does need to evolve to make it work.

Surprised it took us this long to see the last booster pack. It contains a good chunk of Vending cards, as well as a smattering of Base, Jungle and Fossil.

You had quite a lot of strength, even under my duelling terms. Umm, I guess I have to release Jack now.

I haven't seen you for quite some time, Minto. It's me, Jack, the Pokemon Card Grand Master. For your selfless help, you have my utmost gratitude. I'll give you a special card to express my thanks. Please use it to make an absolutely gorgeous deck.

Trickle: Flip 2 coins. This attack does 10 damage times the number of heads.

Dragon Rage: Flip 2 coins. If either of them is tails, this attack does nothing.

Oh boy, this promo. How did you get this exclusive card back in the day? Well it was simple all you had to do was go through the "Tamamushi University Hyper Test" campaign held in June 1998. The campaign was publicized in Shogakukan's magazines for primary-school children in the form of a series of tests in which participants could complete and send back to Shogakukan within a limited period. Those that passed were sent an invitation to a two-day conference in Osaka. On the first day, the participants were separated into three age categories and were then assigned groups based on the various Gyms in the Pokémon games. Each player within one of these groups battled other members of that group, with the top players within each group qualifying for the second day. The second day consisted of a series of battles between the top players within each age category. Those that won a battle during the course of the day were awarded this card at the end of the conference. Simple really. It was later reprinted in the Web expansion.

If you could, Minto, please go to his aid. I'm going to return to my place at the Pokemon Dome. Please stop by sometime for a card battle or two. I'll be waiting to fight you with my gorgeous deck!

I guess I should open the way to Alex's room, huh? I'll just place this here... geronimo! There you are. You may now go into Alex's room. Alex is a fascinating guy. I hope you both have a great duel!

Water! I'm Alex! *SHHH*... One of Team GR's Water members... *GOHHH*... Erm, if you'd like to go on, fight me... water! *SHHH*... However... *GOHHH*... I have a special rule... *SHHH*... *GOHHH*.. Your bench... may only have 3 Pokemon. Lay out 4 prize cards and we shall begin! Waterrrrrr!

This is the unsettling guy from the Challenge Cup, so let's see what he's made of! Using the Bad Dragon deck in these circumstances would've been pretty nasty, so Diglett it is!

Nice start, but, well, you can see in the corner that he has no bench Pokemon. I'm serious, I beat this guy in 2 turns. Well, that was your chance, despite having a bench reducing effect, he doesn't really use it since he has just as many mons as everyone else like both Surfing Pikachu promos, Dark Gyarados and Vending Dewgong, which can Rest to stall for a bit. His Trainers reveal more of his strategy, like using Pokemon Flute to put cards from your discard onto the bench and 4 Gust of Wind to drag those out when you're not ready. Otherwise there's not much the AI can really do to make use of this.

*SHHH*... *GOHHH*... I'm drained and defeated... water!! *SHHH*... I'll open the doors... *GOHHH*...

That was a pain to type out. Onto the leader!

And I imagine you're Minto, the one famed for defying Team GR. Are you here to claim the GR Water coin from me? The process is exactly the same as the other Team GR Fortress Leaders': if you can beat me in a card battle, you'll win the Water coin you seek. There's so much water here for my adorable Water Pokemon. Because of it, Water Pokemon pay 1 less energy card to retreat here. 3 energy cards become 2. 2 energy cards become 1. Understand? If you've got it, let's fight! Just like the other leaders, we'll use 6 prize cards.

GR Leader Duel

Yo, Minto! I've got some information about the deck of Team GR's Water Leader! Water Pokemon are quick in her room! When Water Pokemon retreat there, they pay 1 less energy card. Brooke's chosen a few Water Pokemon with low retreat costs. She tends to make them retreat if things don't look good. By doing this, she makes it hard to knock out her Pokemon. Strike hard when you can! You've gotta think yourself whether you'd rather your Pokemon risk staying in or safely flee... think hard about it! Ronald (O__O)

Oh great we've got a nice tanky Lapras upfront that also only takes 1 energy to retreat! Thankfully it's not a massive deal, the AI loves retreating anyway, so this fight shouldn't seem too different.

Oh sure, don't get the boosted Knockdown, whatever, I'm not mad about it. At least the AI doesn't know how to use Water Gun the most.

Thankfully we're able to overcome it before she can set up too much, but the fight's only just beginning!

Luckily she's not getting many Basics down, so if we can soften these up before she gets some, then we can get an early prize lead.

...she, uh, she just threw. She shuffled her half health Staryu back into her deck, leaving her half health Goldeen as the only Pokemon she has left. What? WHAT??? Pokemon AI never changes... Lapras and Promo Articuno only have 1 retreat, while Seaking and Dark Starmie get free retreat, so she can be pretty dangerous if you don't have a way to keep up the offense. And as you saw she has 4 Mr. Fuji to save her injured evolutions, but that doesn't always work out great, ahem. We got a bit lucky, but she's not massively dangerous, so there's not too much to worry about.

And I will now happily present you with the GR Water coin. Here you go! You've earned it!

Oh, you already have the GR Fire coin? Amazing! You're qualified to enter the GR Fighting Fortress now. Are you going to go? Do your best!

That's another chunk of the island down, but there's still plenty more to go. So let's...

Head back to TCG Island for the Challenge Cup, babyyyyyyyy! Next time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LiefKatano
Aug 31, 2018

I swear, by my sword and capote, that I will once again prove victorious!!
These guys are oddly upbeat for you stopping their takeover.

And doing so successfully.