Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SatansOnion
Dec 12, 2011

more Christmas-themed and -related films and tv shows should have had Boris Karloff narrating them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

I'm gonna do more blind trades in the pokemon tonight. If you get garbage from HotDad69, know that it was sent with love.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Ok the more I think about it the more I hate the plot points of Rise of Skywalker. I hate how much it hates TLJ and how much it's telling me how much I should hate it and wasn't it dumb though? Yeah there were a lot of bad parts but at least it didn't invalidate like 9 other movies rear end in a top hat.

Also I have to mesh these negative feelings with some really positive ones I have for the characters and actors. I love the actors and characters probably more than any others in the series. gently caress this cursed saga.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

star wars is a lot like wwe

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Spikegal posted:

Ok the more I think about it the more I hate the plot points of Rise of Skywalker. I hate how much it hates TLJ and how much it's telling me how much I should hate it and wasn't it dumb though?
Personally I didn't notice that. What makes you say that in specific? I have largely mixed feelings about TLJ so maybe my lack of affection for it means I don't really notice. I did feel Rose was underused in this movie, but most of the cast felt underused.

To me the movie just seemed to poo poo on everything Star Wars, everything epic or cool, it just took a dump on. Even Sith Lightning looked loving stupid and ineffectual in the end. It felt a lot like watching Alien Covenant to me.

Also yeah I totally loved the cast, the casting was great and I liked their characters. I'm sad to see them gone and how much of their arcs were never really resolved. That element, among others, reminds me a lot of playing 90s JRPGs.

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

Does anyone here read? I work with books and they are the 3rd love of my life! Im 90 percent through the north west is our mother and its always nice to have a new book with new primary sources. Its also really good and exhaustive.
Finished mysterious affair at olivetti before the holidy swing. More a bio on the Italian typewriter family, the cia links were pretty bunk and not well explored. Think i might start to read a history of vegetarianism when im done.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

I posted something about reading a couple of days ago! Reading is insanely good & owns.

I'm about to go to bed and like literally (LITERALLY) a minute ago finished Riikka Pulkkinen's "Vieras" ("The Book of Strangers") which I felt was her weakest novel thus far. I read her books because I want to feel soul-rending emotion but this one's themes of faith and not belonging just didn't click with me at all. Her first novel "Raja" ("The Limit") remains her best in my opinion, still got one to go, though. Dunno if I can start and finish it before the year's end.

One of the courses I've done this past half a year was on children's literature in school. I have so many new ideas and concepts for encouraging kids to read more, I'm excited to find out how they work when I start teaching again next August. Unfortunately reading is less and less popular amongst kids nowadays, especially boys. This needs to change, because reading books is literally, genuinely life-changing in various ways.

a cyborg mug fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Dec 27, 2019

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

the escape goat posted:

my dog Newt hopes you’re all going to have a great day and weekend and a great new year, all 366 days of it

Dats a good pupper.

Fad
Nov 13, 2002

I dont care.

bartok posted:

If you got Shudder I highly recommend a new Christmas favorite in our home called Deadly Games AKA Dial Code Santa Claus.

This movie was nuts. Beware to those who are sensitive to doggies getting hurt.

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

i'm going to watch "Murder by death" with peter sellers in yellowface , then Uncut gems with the sand man himself

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

Spiderdrake posted:

Personally I didn't notice that. What makes you say that in specific? I have largely mixed feelings about TLJ so maybe my lack of affection for it means I don't really notice. I did feel Rose was underused in this movie, but most of the cast felt underused.

The movie is literally filled with unnecessary digs at TLJ

- Luke catching the lightsaber and saying you should never throw it
- “We should do the Holdo maneuver.” “No that would never work!”
- “Hey Rose, do you want to come on our adventure?” “No that’s okay, General Leia needs me to stand near this computer.”

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

I try to read but I'm battling my attention span is so short. Trying to read Infinite Jest, Batman and Philosophy, Unbreakable at the moment among other books.

Also the Ghost in the Shell anime movie is on Amazon Prime till the start of the New Year. I hadn't watched it yet and it's been a real interesting watch, visually.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Suplex Liberace posted:

Does anyone here read? I work with books and they are the 3rd love of my life! Im 90 percent through the north west is our mother and its always nice to have a new book with new primary sources. Its also really good and exhaustive.
Finished mysterious affair at olivetti before the holidy swing. More a bio on the Italian typewriter family, the cia links were pretty bunk and not well explored. Think i might start to read a history of vegetarianism when im done.

I read mostly Warhammer stuff but I’m gonna get into Harry Harrison and the old Lensman saga(aka Space Opera done right) next.

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

Read Vonnegut he'll keep your attention real good.

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

Yes, we have feathers--but the muscles of men.
I’ve been reading Elmore Leonard and he real good

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

NienNunb posted:

Read Vonnegut he'll keep your attention real good.

Evergreen option. Vonnegut is always a good pick.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

the escape goat posted:

my dog Newt hopes you’re all going to have a great day and weekend and a great new year, all 366 days of it

That is a GREAT pup, right there my dude.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Spiderdrake posted:

To me the movie just seemed to poo poo on everything Star Wars, everything epic or cool, it just took a dump on. Even Sith Lightning looked loving stupid and ineffectual in the end. It felt a lot like watching Alien Covenant to me.

Also yeah I totally loved the cast, the casting was great and I liked their characters. I'm sad to see them gone and how much of their arcs were never really resolved. That element, among others, reminds me a lot of playing 90s JRPGs.

Blast Fantasto posted:

The movie is literally filled with unnecessary digs at TLJ

- Luke catching the lightsaber and saying you should never throw it
- “We should do the Holdo maneuver.” “No that would never work!”
- “Hey Rose, do you want to come on our adventure?” “No that’s okay, General Leia needs me to stand near this computer.”

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!
Read more of Phillip K Dick, one of the most prophetic writers in sci fi

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Recommend me a Dick book.

Coming up on my list is some William Gibson. I have shamefully never read even Neuromancer

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

extradite THIS! posted:

Coming up on my list is some William Gibson. I have shamefully never read even Neuromancer
I want to say it's really good and has some pretty cool ideas but I should read it again.

Gibson is one of those writers that isn't great at sticking the landing, at least in my mind. Always feels like fantastic world building that then struggles to reach a satisfying conclusion. I remember the bridge trilogy kinda falling apart, and while Pattern Recognition had some Dune tier impact on my thinking I remember the ending was just kinda wonky and I never finished the trilogy.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

I remember listening to Neuromancer as an audiobook, and loving the ideas but finding the whole thing hamstrung by the leaden, monotone narration. I couldn't get as invested in the book as I wanted to because it was so hard to listen to the narrator.

Yeah, so it turned out that William Gibson narrates his own audio books and isn't great at it. They can't all be Gaimans.

SatansOnion
Dec 12, 2011

anyone else here read P.G. Wodehouse? Because if you dig some lighthearted, precision-engineered comic farce set among the well-to-do upper-crust set in 1920s England, this just might be your jam (as well as mine)

he wrote a shed load of books, but there’s no need to be intimidated; they’re easy reads in my experience and it’s not like there’s ~deep lore~ you’ll miss if you approach them out of order. Most anything Jeeves and Wooster is great, including the TV adaptations featuring Stephen Fry and Hugh Laurie, although one of my personal favorites is my first Wodehouse novel, set at Blandings Castle, Service With a Smile.

I just realized I don’t even know if you can buy those digitally. I stand by my recommendation nonetheless

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

dont know what a book is

the escape goat
Apr 16, 2008

new season of Letterkenny just came out

it was a lot of fun

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

extradite THIS! posted:

Recommend me a Dick book.

I dunno, you can have weird Dick or weirder Dick.

Weirder Dick is better imo. I liked Martian Time-Slip. if you just want regular weird, try any of his movie/show books; I guess Man in the High Castle.

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

MitHC is the invention of alt-history as a genre. His best is Ubik followed by Do Androids Dream Of Electric Sheep (the basis for Blade Runner)

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

SatansOnion posted:

anyone else here read P.G. Wodehouse? Because if you dig some lighthearted, precision-engineered comic farce set among the well-to-do upper-crust set in 1920s England, this just might be your jam (as well as mine)

he wrote a shed load of books, but there’s no need to be intimidated; they’re easy reads in my experience and it’s not like there’s ~deep lore~ you’ll miss if you approach them out of order. Most anything Jeeves and Wooster is great, including the TV adaptations featuring Stephen Fry and Hugh Laurie, although one of my personal favorites is my first Wodehouse novel, set at Blandings Castle, Service With a Smile.

I just realized I don’t even know if you can buy those digitally. I stand by my recommendation nonetheless

Wodehouse is delightful. Of a similar ilk I can also recommend Dorothy L Sayers. Her "Lord Peter Wimsey" novels stand the detective genre on its head and give it a bloody good shake. "Whose Body?" is the best starting point probably.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

Prokhor Zakharov posted:

MitHC is the invention of alt-history as a genre. His best is Ubik followed by Do Androids Dream Of Electric Sheep (the basis for Blade Runner)

Ubik manages to accurately predict how poo poo the Internet Of Things would be years before there was an Internet.

Philip K Dick posted:

The door refused to open. It said, “Five cents, please.”
He searched his pockets. No more coins; nothing. “I’ll pay you tomorrow,” he told the door. Again he tried the knob. Again it remained locked tight. “What I pay you,” he informed it, “is in the nature of a gratuity; I don’t have to pay you.”
“I think otherwise,” the door said. “Look in the purchase contract you signed when you bought this conapt.”
In his desk drawer he found the contract; since signing it he had found it necessary to refer to the document many times. Sure enough; payment to his door for opening and shutting constituted a mandatory fee. Not a tip.
“You discover I’m right,” the door said. It sounded smug.
From the drawer beside the sink Joe Chip got a stainless steel knife; with it he began systematically to unscrew the bolt assembly of his apt’s money-gulping door.
“I’ll sue you,” the door said as the first screw fell out.
Joe Chip said, “I’ve never been sued by a door. But I guess I can live through it."

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

Ubik is straight up one of the greatest books I've ever read. Its narrative is so twisting but still so tight that its borderline a choose your adventure book where you can pick the ending you want and it's always valid

Now in convienet spray can form!

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
When people started saying Rose was hard done by in the new movie i literally had to google who the character was. Same with Holdo. I’d completely forgotten about them. Other than the core four characters none of the ancillary characters are very memorable. Screaming first order guy probably has a name too.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

Seams posted:

Screaming first order guy probably has a name too.

General Hugs

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

I picked up Fallen Order because I wanted some good Star Wars content and I've only played the tutorial level and I already enjoy it more than ROS. But I wish it starred either Rey or Finn instead since they are so likable. God all the pieces are there for this cursed franchise but they just won't put them in the right order.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

The protag looks like the most boring-rear end white dude

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

jesus WEP posted:

The protag looks like the most boring-rear end white dude

He is but he's honestly kind of enjoyable. He's a genuinely nice character which is a nice change of pace from your average sarcastic white dude protag.

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

Gumball Gumption posted:

He is but he's honestly kind of enjoyable. He's a genuinely nice character which is a nice change of pace from your average sarcastic white dude protag.

Yeah he is an earnestly good kid trying to find his confidence who makes rash decisions based out of a desire to help others; he’s almost never clever or threatening. His interactions with BD-1 paint him well; he doesn’t want the droid to go out of his way for him at all until he realizes BD gets a kick out of helping him.

Edit: oh yeah Cal looks like a ginger John Mulaney. You’ve seen it now you can’t unsee it!

Finn and Poe are really likeable but I don’t understand liking Rey. Ridley did her best but Rey just seems like a psychopath bent on acquiring power for its own sake for most of the trilogy. One part of ROS I liked was her going out of her way to heal things and to like kids. But it was too little, too late.

Captain Magic fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Dec 27, 2019

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Luke turned to the Force as a means of coping with his family's death. Rey turned to the Force because the boy she likes is a creep. Or something. These movies have been so forgettable. I'm gonna watch the latest one tomorrow.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
Anakin turned to the dark side in order to get out of the desert, something everyone in Arizona is willing to do.

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

Prokhor Zakharov posted:

i gave my friend Ubik as her first and she loved it. Im slowly trying to read N.K Jemisin's short story book but i get side tracked by non fiction very easily.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bard Maddox
Feb 15, 2012

I'm just a sick guy, I'm really just a dirty guy.
feel free to use this picture if you don't like one of my posts. I won't take it personal, I promise.