Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Phi230 posted:

A book only has words, idiot

Are there any words that say the Martians all wear black?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Pizza Segregationist posted:

Do Martians wear all black clothes in the books? I thought it was a good touch really helped give Mars that authoritarian look.

A very minor nitpick but (ep 8) Elvi needing Holden to read test results to her after she went blind was a little silly. All those advanced computers but we've lost text-to-speech technology

Cancer is more curable/manageable than the common cold is now. People can regrow spines with a little rack time. Figure blindness is basically a paper-cut at this point.

Remember Play-doh? The original function of that stuff was to clean wallpaper. Because people covered their walls with wallpaper to keep coal dust from getting on their walls. Because they heated their homes with coal furnaces. Then electricity became a thing, so people didn't need coal furnaces. So they could pull down their wallpaper and paint their walls. So they didn't need weird claylike stuff to clean the wall-paper they no longer needed. So some dude came up with the idea of using colorful dyes with the clay cleaner and selling it as Play-doh.

Speech-to-text is useful for people who are permanently blind. But most people in The Expanse aren't permanently blind. There's probably a market for speech-to-text to help little kids learn to read, but figure that's about it. And figure that space was an issue so they didn't take along a bunch of kid's learning aids for this trip.

Everyone fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Dec 26, 2019

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?

Pizza Segregationist posted:

Do Martians wear all black clothes in the books? I thought it was a good touch really helped give Mars that authoritarian look.

A very minor nitpick but (ep 8) Elvi needing Holden to read test results to her after she went blind was a little silly. All those advanced computers but we've lost text-to-speech technology

They're all computers from Blade Runner and only speak Japanese

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

gfarrell80 posted:

The 1st Cylon war (the robo revolution) is background for the series, not really present. The reason why the cylons revolted in the 1st cylon war is of miniscule concern in the series, I am not sure it is really even covered. The statement "The Colonials enslave Cylons and extract labor from them to enrich themselves" is somewhat questionable. To enslave something it has to be sentient. I'm not sure the colonials in the 1st cylon war were knowingly enslaving sentient robots; my understanding was that it was kinda a skynet type moment causing the 1st cylon war. More the classic 'be wary of technology because it will kill you' myth (Daedalus/Icarus) than a warning against colonialism.

Also the statement "liberated skinjob cylons then enslave the old generation Cylons to extract labor from them" is a little dubious. The exact relationship between the skin jobs and the other cylons is a little mysterious. To me it always seemed more symbiotic and cooperative rather than exploitative. There doesn't seem to be any kind of priority given to skin job projects at the expense of centurions and raiders.

To me BSG was less about imperialism and more of a warning about how technology is as likely to be our killer as our savior. Also BSG had some of the typical petty tribalistic politics thrown in there.

Was that thing about Caprica in the 'Caprica' show? I don't remember that in the mainline BSG story. It has been several years though.

The skinjobs lobotomized the older Cylons with special devices to make them obedient. It was a major plot point when the rebel skinjobs liberated their Cylons and started treating them as equals and joined the Colonials.

The Cylons were clearly sentient when they were enslaved before the rebellion. I don't think it's possible for them to have been so ubiquitous in society and for nobody to notice that. People just didn't give a poo poo. The same thing happened on Kobol and on Earth I too.

The poorer colonies come up a couple of times in the main show. Mainly by characters being classicist to the "ignorant dirt farmers" from the poorer colonies.

Everyone posted:

Actually, you should care what white supremacists think because in our real world, white people still rule the world. Well, rich people do, and the largest percentage of rich people are white. It's not about rear end in a top hat MAGA nazi-types. White people (and I am one) want to stay "supreme" because that's the status quo. Rich people tend to be white. Rich people support the status quo so they can stay rich.

Who says that at least some of that hasn't already been done, at least on Earth? With 30 billion people, many of whom lack employment and are on Basic, presumably population controls like you have outlined have already been implemented. As medical knowledge increases, lifespans lengthenSo figure at this point either they take advantage of the 1300 new frontiers that just opened up or they start building extermination camps. Maybe they can raise money via gladiatorial "Hunger Games." The survivors get to eat the losers.

I mean, I don't disagree with you here but I think that's too much projecting our own issues on a vastly different future society. Who knows if 300 years from now NA and Europe will still have a hegemonic position or if there will be hegemons at all. It might become a multipolar world order. 300 years is a really long time.

It seems that life expectancy and population numbers have stabilized. Earth's hosed up state is not transitional but permanent. And whatever is broken with earth will follow the colonists to the stars. In 300 years all these planets will be beyond their carrying capacity too and suffer from the same problems. It's just kicking the can down the road and not a real solution.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

GABA ghoul posted:

I mean, I don't disagree with you here but I think that's too much projecting our own issues on a vastly different future society. Who knows if 300 years from now NA and Europe will still have a hegemonic position or if there will be hegemons at all. It might become a multipolar world order. 300 years is a really long time.

It seems that life expectancy and population numbers have stabilized. Earth's hosed up state is not transitional but permanent. And whatever is broken with earth will follow the colonists to the stars. In 300 years all these planets will be beyond their carrying capacity too and suffer from the same problems. It's just kicking the can down the road and not a real solution.

quote:

Romans 3:23 English Standard Version (ESV)

23 for all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God,

That's why Earth is permanently hosed. Even if the "Expansers" instituted some kind of "constructive genocide" to reduce their numbers to, say, 10% of their current population, Earth, Mars the Belt and those on the 1300 worlds would end up hosed again in 500 or 300 or 50 years. It is in the nature of humanity to "game the system." We hairless apes created technology and civilization to game the natural system, to protect ourselves from nature and each other.

While our knowledge, tools and customs may change, our essential nature does not. Some bunch will develop some advantage, exploit it and rise to the top. And then they'll try to make their time at "the top" permanent, until some other bunch figures out some better advantage and displaces them. Economic systems, religious movements, methods of government, all of those might have some effect in mitigating some of that, but it will still be true.

The only way to solve humanities' problems is to "cure" humanity of being human. Turn us into robots. Release the proto-molecule to shape us into hive-minded flesh machines. Or. Or have faith that our essential flaw in gaming the system is also an asset that will let us figure out how to clean our nests when we foul them.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Or just keep expanding lol space is big, there's plenty of space for us

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Caprica showed that before the 1st Cylon War the Colonies were pretty advanced, like there is a massive VR system that's as good as real life, smart paper that works like a computer and a bunch of other fancy tech.The company run by Eric Stolz was creating simple AIs and that lead to the Gen 1 cylons that could do any and all menial tasks perfectly, which included combat. Their reveal to the public was landing in a stadium and killing bombers before they could suicide them into people.

At the end we see a montage of basically what season 2 would have been, showing Cylons being used to walk dogs and mow lawns and such, but also suggesting they have some kind of awareness because they use the VR system to attend Church. IT is also shown that Skinjob Cyclons are clearly created by Stolz because it shows him created a new robot body for his daughters avatar that was trapped in the VR world after his actual daughter was blown up by her friend who was part of the radical monotheist cult.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Holy gently caress shut up about BSG, an absolute garbage show when compared to the Expanse, which is what we're here for

Phi230 posted:

:agreed:

In hundreds of years, after continuing to hijack and figure out protomolecule/Builder technology I think we'd have plenty of space and/or technological advances that a lack of space/overpopulation would not be a major issue

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Johnny Truant posted:

Holy gently caress shut up about BSG, an absolute garbage show when compared to the Expanse, which is what we're here for

:agreed:

In hundreds of years, after continuing to hijack and figure out protomolecule/Builder technology I think we'd have plenty of space and/or technological advances that a lack of space/overpopulation would not be a major issue

It would only be a matter of time until they figured out how to use protomolecule to generate artificial gravity and inertia dampening like Eros had, and start building massive space habitats and ships that go ludicrous speeds to reach other stars manually.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

It would only be a matter of time until they figured out how to use protomolecule to generate artificial gravity and inertia dampening like Eros had, and start building massive space habitats and ships that go ludicrous speeds to reach other stars manually.

I just triple checked that this topic wasn't the spoiler topic cause I just nearly fell straight into book chat, haha

But yup, I agree. I don't think we'd ever fully unlock the protomolecule's capabilities, but it's naive to think that some company wouldn't start loving around with it in the future

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Phi230 posted:

TFW you don't understand the science of capitalism.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Fidel Cuckstro posted:

TFW you don't understand the science of capitalism.

His gimmick is "I'm a loving dumbass lol", just ignore him like the rest of us

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

His gimmick is "I'm a loving dumbass lol", just ignore him like the rest of us

I remember Phi. I hate to think of what childhood memories got replaced with the list of bad SA posters that I knew 4 years ago.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Johnny Truant posted:

Agreed, I just remember way to much about that stupid show. It's another one of those "if you liked this, you should watch The Expanse." But its hard because BSG and Firefly and many of the other shows from the early 2000s are too engrained into the nerd mind, because it was before streaming. There was a unified culture because there were only so many sources. Now everything is everywhere, and even if something is the best thing ever, like the Expanse, its hard to sell it on people still stuck in the early 2000s.

God drat Firefly sucks and the fact its still a nerd touchstone pisses me off.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I liked it. The overall universe seemed interesting. But the fandom was insular and toxic.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Great potential but I thought at least half the episodes sucked. Like the one where Mal prepares for a sword duel. I suppose it's a better track record than traditional scifi shows like Star Trek where the first 30 episodes suck.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
If Firefly was given a chance to get more seasons, it might have fleshed things out and gotten really good, but it didn't. The best it will ever be is a cult classic that had a few years where people, in hushed tones, would say "have you heard about this cancelled sci-fi show? here, take my DVDs and watch it" that died off once science fiction space shows took off again. Now there are too many multi-season space shows out there to even consider telling someone about Firefly that hasn't already heard of it.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
Firefly existing gave us Serenity, so it's good in my book.

Apparatchik Magnet
Sep 25, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Firefly counterpoint: insanely hot young Christina Hendricks.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Apparatchik Magnet posted:

Firefly counterpoint: insanely hot young Christina Hendricks.

Fuckin a

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Firefly's a good, solid show. It's funny, and the characters are strong, vibrant figures with likeable personalities, set in a universe that was relatively unique at the time of airing.

Show good.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
BSG is bad now?

gfarrell80
Aug 31, 2006

Open Source Idiom posted:

Firefly's a good, solid show. It's funny, and the characters are strong, vibrant figures with likeable personalities, set in a universe that was relatively unique at the time of airing.

Show good.

It's got one shade of confederate apology too much for my liking. Entertaining though. And Serenity was an enjoyable space adventure movie.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Combat Pretzel posted:

BSG is bad now?

No, but the TVIV cycle never ends.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Firefly is a lazy Space Western. Rather than doing anything interesting with the setting, they just raid Fox's costume department and have everyone dress in cowboy outfits never bothering to explain why everyone dresses like the late 19th century outside of some "well some places aren't that well off". Yea why does that mean everyone wears cowboy boots and stetsons? Where there a lot of Olde Timey Photography studios in early colonization? Plus it talks about how the Government is a combination of the US and China and has characters using Chinese phrases and words, but the only Asian people you see are literally outdated stereotypes of Manchu Chinese with long braids doing laundry. The Tams are supposed to be part Chinese but are the whitest people you can find. It's invented language is pretty lazy too, The 'verse, the black? God drat took you like 2 seconds to think of that slang didn't it Whereon? Did you do it while assaulting your actresses?

I won't deny its fun on its surface but if you think about anything about it, the problems are extremely glaring. Serenity is much better about it, I admit its probably a budget thing but something I love about the Expanse is that the clothing the Belters were is mostly work clothes, boiler suits, heavy workboots and such. That is what space colony poors would be wearing. Regression of technology would not mean literally going back in time and dressing like people did centuries before. There is a reason people in different eras dress they way they do, you can look at the history of clothing and see a direct line from the Classical World to Todays clothing.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
everyone dresses in cowboy outfits because they are cowboys in the space west
if you think about it more than this you are overthinking it

the real question that comes with stuff like the protomolecule tech though is the cost that it comes with. i dont mean eros or dead belters, but the builders basically nuked, like, 1400 potentially life bearing worlds, their poo poo is arguably evil for its ability to 3d print super tech by eating anything and everything useful to their ends. in an alternate timeline the builders horizon zero dawn'd themselves. never mind that whatever killed them however long ago left behind a just glowing ball of space anathema that kills anything of the builders you put into it, are probably still out there, and are probably aware we used their anathema eyeball thing

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Open Source Idiom posted:

Show good.

Everyone speaks bungled chinese and yet there are no asian characters in the show. gently caress Whedon.

Anonymous Zebra
Oct 21, 2005
Blending in like it ain't no thang
Everyone wishing for more Firefly just needs to read the plans Whedon had for season 2, which included such spicy plots as having Inara Serra (the professional prostitute character) getting her ship taken over by Reavers and her taking some kind of drug that poisoned anyone that had sex with her, and the episode ending with the crew boarding her ship and finding piles of dead Reavers everywhere. And then read how awesome Whedon thought that plot was because (like most TV sci-fi writers of the time) he was a creepy little sex pest that liked putting his female actresses in compromising positions for his own gratification.

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

Firefly was good because it was fourteen episodes and a movie - it didn't get a chance to become lovely, like it inevitably would have.

The Expanse obviously copied an idea or two - Amos is a Jayne expy, for example - but they did it so much better.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
I dunno, I watched 2 episodes of firefly (because is so praised here in SA) and I though it was total garbage

BSG is both good and bad

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?
BSG is near flawless until the end of the Cain arc...

...then, not so much.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Elias_Maluco posted:

I dunno, I watched 2 episodes of firefly (because is so praised here in SA) and I though it was total garbage

BSG is both good and bad

Yeah I feel like if I watch it now I'll be like "this is pretty drat mediocre"

Nostalgia is a helluva drug

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

BSG gave us some of the best cliffhanger moments in Sci-fi history. I will submit that Pegasus vs Galactica in Resurrection Ship Pt 1, and the Colonial Surrender on New Caprica were as good, or better than the cliffhanger for Best of Both Worlds part 1.

Norton the First
Dec 4, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
BSG has the GoT problem where it was good, then it wasn't, then it was so terrible that you end up regretting ever getting invested in the first place.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Norton the First posted:

BSG has the GoT problem where it was good, then it wasn't, then it was so terrible that you end up regretting ever getting invested in the first place.

GoT got a lot more terrible, though

ZorajitZorajit
Sep 15, 2013

No static at all...
BSG ended after the colonials were conquered on New Caprica. Everything after that was Roslin's dying fever dreams. Especially Lee crashing Pegasus into a basestar because the show is titled Battlestar Galactica and we can under no circumstances change the titlecard to Battlestar Pegasus no matter how much sense it makes.

Norton the First
Dec 4, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Elias_Maluco posted:

GoT got a lot more terrible, though

I don't think you remember pretty much everything that came after "All Along the Watchtower" started playing.

(Hey, remember that? A song with apparently no author that just echoes down through the epochs?)

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Norton the First posted:

I don't think you remember pretty much everything that came after "All Along the Watchtower" started playing.

(Hey, remember that? A song with apparently no author that just echoes down through the epochs?)

Yeah the plot just stops making sense at some point. But still never as bad as the worst parts of got, like dorme

Elias_Maluco fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Dec 27, 2019

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Is this even a debate? GoT was wayyyyy worse than BSG. Nothing I've ever watched compares to the way GoT fell apart in its last season, the sheer lack of effort in every bit of writing and plotting. The quality of seasons 5-6 of GoT was similar to the decline of BSG, but no other show has ever fallen off as badly as the last season of GoT. Even the magical disappearing Starbuck doesn't quite get there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Norton the First
Dec 4, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
How about the fuckin' robot montage?