Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yoruichi
Sep 21, 2017

Horse Facts

True and Interesting Facts about Horse

sebmojo posted:

merry christmas you monstrous creatures, goodwill to all men even the stupid and terrible ones. as a present I've turned off kayfabe or whatever tattered shreds of it remain. now is the time to say what you like, what you hate, what should change or stay the same in this dumb dome that we love so much

You are beautiful and perfect, Thunderdome, never change.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

Simply Simon posted:

Sitting Merc Heredes Brawl

Alright you two lovebirds, you seem in the mood. Write me a love story, but the protagonists never interact.

Another bird has peeped me that you want to write in each other's styles, which is disgustingly sappy but okay! I can be that. You called it broadly "humor" (Merc) vs "dreamy" (sh), so I guess something like that. You'll fail if you don't make me laugh (sh) or write something I don't get (Merc).

Your deadline is the 7th of January 2020, which is when I'll start working again. Give me something to do on an unplanned-labwork Monday (judge your messes).
I forgot to put a word limit in because I posted this on the phone 5 min before sleep. It's 2412, guess why!

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

Also you people are awesome and I'm super happy to be writing again because of what we do here!

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

The dome is ascendant and shall only change when the gears of reality shift, and I'm looking forward to getting back to it when my Christmas funk is over.

Anomalous Amalgam
Feb 13, 2015

by Nyc_Tattoo
Doctor Rope
Happy holidays, wordgoons.

Anomalous Amalgam
Feb 13, 2015

by Nyc_Tattoo
Doctor Rope
Thanks for the brawl, Seb. Thank you for the crit, Chili!

flerp
Feb 25, 2014
my only complaint is that the toxx flash rule trend is pretty annoying. as somebody who likes to toxx w/o getting a flash rule, i dont like specifying and some weeks i actually havent entered because of that. im cool w/ “if u want a flash rule, then u need to toxx” but not cool w/ “if u toxx u get a flash rule” when we have a de facto rule of toxx if u failed last week (and i find toxxing personally an effective way of me actually submitting)

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

That's fair, I like it in general bc it seems to make good stories but toxxing without a flash rule should be fine too

Weltlich
Feb 13, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Black Griffon posted:

The dome is ascendant and shall only change when the gears of reality shift, and I'm looking forward to getting back to it when my Christmas funk is over.

:same:

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

sebmojo posted:

That's fair, I like it in general bc it seems to make good stories but toxxing without a flash rule should be fine too
Should be simple enough to clarify "toxx but no flash pls"?

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
Yeah, it seems like a very easy problem to solve.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Yups

Carl Killer Miller
Apr 28, 2007

This is the way that it all falls.
This is how I feel,
This is what I need:

Happy holidays to all you wonderful people! Made a ton of changes in my life this year and getting back into writing has been one of the biggest. Thanks for the prompts, reads, and crits!

Stay literate!

magic cactus
Aug 3, 2019

We lied. We are not at war. There is no enemy. This is a rescue operation.
Merry Christmas Thunderdome crew, thanks for being my motivation for getting back into writing seriously this year!

:cheers:

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Oh and someone should scroll carl up with a fancy new av, he is a loser who became a winner

Anomalous Amalgam
Feb 13, 2015

by Nyc_Tattoo
Doctor Rope

sebmojo posted:

Oh and someone should scroll carl up with a fancy new av, he is a loser who became a winner

I have a cert on hand. I will do this thing.

Exmond
May 31, 2007

Writing is fun!
Merry Christmas TD!

Yoruichi
Sep 21, 2017

Horse Facts

sebmojo posted:

I will read both stories with music within one month of posting. :toxx:

*Ahem*

Sebmojo, I believe you have an unfulfilled toxx

Because of the bizarre machinations of this brawl, this monstrosity is the relevant story that you have toxxed to read, with music.

Merry Christmas.

Mercedes
Mar 7, 2006

"So you Jesus?"

"And you black?"

"Nigga prove it!"

And so Black Jesus turned water into a bucket of chicken. And He saw that it was good.

Writing is difficult because children, but I still cherish you terrible people and I'm glad to be a part of this community. And because I work Friday through Sunday, I have a very tight procrastination window.

Also I'm insanely jealous Sitting Here got to meet sebmojo. I want to pinch his tight butt cheeks.

Sitting Here
Dec 31, 2007
thunderdome has taken me some weirdass places

this thing we're doing here is just weird and dumb enough to be important, and it doesn't exist without the people who participate. so thanks, all of you.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

thunderdome is one of the best things that happened to me this decade, for reasons incl but not limited to getting to write ridiculous sentences and somehow not be shunned, and also for reading many terrible words. also this community is great i guess lol.

happy hols, stay safe stay weird, talk to ppl and practise self-care if you feel overwhelmed any time, git gud at writing

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Yeah, for all I kvetch on Discord about writing, I'm immensely grateful to this community for getting me back into the hobby and giving me a bunch of cool people to discuss it with. It's a major positive part of my life.

Also Rhino got me another amazing secret Santa gift and I'll post a picture when I get back from this Christmas party I'm phone-posting on the way to

Anomalous Amalgam
Feb 13, 2015

by Nyc_Tattoo
Doctor Rope
Are we expressing gratitude? I first made an appearance years back on my Trad Games account doctor idle, my words haven't improved much since those days, but I'm glad I've been able to infiltrate another community on these antiquated forums and y'all bring genuine joy to my blackened heart and inspire me to write and try harder. Many thanks!

Anomalous Amalgam
Feb 13, 2015

by Nyc_Tattoo
Doctor Rope
Also 2020 is going to be my year. I may have been terrible all the other years of my life but I fully intend to claim the throne and beat each of you one on one.

Sorry, not sorry.

There is one among your number who lowkey slighted me many moons ago, and they are like the final boss in my mind. In time I will have my revenge.

Nethilia
Oct 17, 2012

Hullabalooza '96
Easily Depressed
Teenagers Edition

There are people in this world who face my perky, positive bullshit and you guys are some of those people. I adore y'all.

:sparkles: :sparkles: :sparkles: :sparkles: :sparkles:

(p.s. p n dubya side rulez)

Anomalous Blowout
Feb 13, 2006

rock
ice
storm
abyss

It makes no attempt to sound human. It is atoms and stars.

Getting back in touch with TD was just what I needed for both my professional and personal life this year. I am very grateful to have been welcomed back as your prodigal large adult son.

My #1 suggestion for TD in 2020 would be for you all to have a great holiday break and have at least one (1) dessert.

Yoruichi
Sep 21, 2017

Horse Facts

I have a Thunderdome addictIoN

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Yoruichi posted:

*Ahem*

Sebmojo, I believe you have an unfulfilled toxx

Because of the bizarre machinations of this brawl, this monstrosity is the relevant story that you have toxxed to read, with music.

Merry Christmas.

what you mean this little thing? it's nothing but a trifle; heh, heh, heh

Exmond
May 31, 2007

Writing is fun!
It's been an interesting year, and I'd like to discuss one stat in particular as it was generated by a member of this community:

• Threats of Violence aimed at me: 1

While I didn't go to the authorities, nor do I feel any actions are required by moderators, I did feel unsafe in our little writing community that is called ThunderDome.

This occurred is the discord, something that has less moderation compared to the IRC channel of old. Any further critique of the discord isn't useful as well, it's coming from me, and my reputation (and avatar) precedes me. I do feel someone was just venting, perhaps at my antics, instead of wishing actual violence. Maybe this is the SomethingAwful way, or a misunderstanding, but the core abuse was still there.

That is generally why I have not participated much in the past. I have only participated when a truly terrible idea hits me ( I AM SO SORRY ABOUT THE poo poo SLUGS) or when people get together and are enthusiastic about a prompt. I have to say, the other writing communities I have joined don't have that same level of community, companionship, and camaraderie that you do TD.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Exmond posted:

It's been an interesting year, and I'd like to discuss one stat in particular as it was generated by a member of this community:

• Threats of Violence aimed at me: 1

While I didn't go to the authorities, nor do I feel any actions are required by moderators, I did feel unsafe in our little writing community that is called ThunderDome.

This occurred is the discord, something that has less moderation compared to the IRC channel of old. Any further critique of the discord isn't useful as well, it's coming from me, and my reputation (and avatar) precedes me. I do feel someone was just venting, perhaps at my antics, instead of wishing actual violence. Maybe this is the SomethingAwful way, or a misunderstanding, but the core abuse was still there.

That is generally why I have not participated much in the past. I have only participated when a truly terrible idea hits me ( I AM SO SORRY ABOUT THE poo poo SLUGS) or when people get together and are enthusiastic about a prompt. I have to say, the other writing communities I have joined don't have that same level of community, companionship, and camaraderie that you do TD.

Don't bring offsite stuff in here please.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

In for this week

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

I haven't participated much this year, but I'm gonna change that next year. TD is a magical place, and it's almost solely responsible for reigniting my love of writing. You nerds are great, and I'm stoked to be part of your cool wordclub.

Gonna :toxx: to enter more times in the first six months of 2020 than I did in all of 2019.

crabrock
Aug 2, 2002

I

AM

MAGNIFICENT

Exmond posted:

While I didn't go to the authorities

hello the police? somebody on the internet told me they were gonna hit me.

Ironic Twist
Aug 3, 2008

I'm bokeh, you're bokeh
I did not participate a lot this year due to a novel draft that was making serious anal inroads but I love you all.

ninja edit: sh can't handle this

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010
Year 3, lost in the anal inroads.

I have not seen my beloved Jeremy in many years. It smells like rear end in here.

Something Else
Dec 27, 2004

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022
These past few weeks of thunderdoming have reignited my creative fires and the effects are already rippling throughout my life. TD has made me stronger, faster, and more introspective. I’m so glad y’all are trapped in here with me.

Chili
Jan 23, 2004

college kids ain't shit

Fun Shoe
Still incredibly grateful for this community and everything I've gotten from it! I may not be the writer I want to be but I'm much closer than I ever was thanks to the feedback I've gotten from here. Speaking of....

I really do hope that when people take on judgement they view that as a commitment to get crits out. I understand a bit if they win and weren't prepared to set aside that time, but even then... the stories have already been read! That's half the battle! Over this past year, I've definitely noticed a decline in both the speed and the number of crits that I've seen get posted. That makes me sad.

Thunderdome lives and breathes on its crits. No matter who they are, judges or co-judges need to step up and deliver a bit more in the coming year. In my mind, it's the tax one pays for getting to participate but also, critting improves the critter! It's a win-win and we should all be winning more.

Chili fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Dec 27, 2019

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

ya crit more

especially my stuff

in this week btw

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

Chili posted:

Still incredibly grateful for this community and everything I've gotten from it! I may not be the writer I want to be but I'm much closer than I ever was thanks to the feedback I've gotten from here. Speaking of....

I really do hope that when people take on judgement they view that as a commitment to get crits out. I understand a bit if they win and weren't prepared to set aside that time, but even then... the stories have already been read! That's half the battle! Over this past year, I've definitely noticed a decline in both the speed and the number of crits that I've seen get posted. That makes me sad.

Thunderdome lives and breathes on its crits. No matter who they are, judges or co-judges need to step up and deliver a bit more in the coming year. In my mind, it's the tax one pays for getting to participate but also, critting helps you improves the critter! It's a win-win and we should all be winning more.

This is a very good post. Reading crits is such a good reward, whether it's negative of positive, and it's especially rewarding to know that someone gleaned wisdom from a crit you wrote. We should be appreciative of the chance to contribute to each other's betterment, and I know I always appreciate the chance to improve both my writing skills and my critique skills. Solidarity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Staggy
Mar 20, 2008

Said little bitch, you can't fuck with me if you wanted to
These expensive
These is red bottoms
These is bloody shoes

Just want to add my thanks for the Thunderdome and all you glorious oddballs. Without you I wouldn't have got into writing at all and while I haven't participated as much this year as I meant to I've enjoyed every second of it.

Crits are great, crits are cool, write some crits - don't be a tool.