Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DONT TOUCH THE PC
Jul 15, 2001

You should try it, it's a real buzz.

Mr. Prokosch posted:

Why is it disruptive to the rest of the library's operations?

Because it's a boondoggle paid with money that libraries don't have, and don't have any plans for because basic operations are already stretching the budget/people thin.
At best it's paid with money that's part of a tax-avoidance scheme. That sort of income can only be used for that specific purpose, which might as well be a pile of money lit on fire, joker style.

3D printers are the ultimate, "libraries need to do modern poo poo", claptrap that people who don't know what libraries DO say they should do.

edit: basically this:

Cythereal posted:

It's a common problem. What most library users want is really quite simple: more books, especially bestsellers, more public computers, more quiet study rooms, things like that. Libraries throughout the US also tend to be desperately under-funded, and rely heavily on grants and donations. However, these grants and donations want to know what their money will be used for, and the vast majority of people who run these things and decide who to give money to and how much money to give find those basic library functions that people want to be boring and not worth spending money on because after all that's basic functionality of the library and why should they give libraries extra money for such things? And librarians want to be writing articles in magazines about how they're hip and on top of new trends.

The whole thing about donation-based charity (for tax write-offs) is that it's actually more wasteful than taxes, you're always stuck with a bunch of stuffy old white people that want stuff that their grandchildren rave about, not actual useful stuff that will be used for years to come.

DONT TOUCH THE PC fucked around with this message at 08:15 on Dec 23, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

All this chat about "what else can libraries offer?" is super amusing to me right now, because, as I mentioned, I'm looking for a library job again. I was just at my old library's website (couldn't remember a phone number for one of the departments I worked in), and hey! They're renovating the kids' section at one branch, to make it more interactive and enticing! It's gonna have a LEGO wall, some crazy thing called Awesome Air Tubes, and loads of other fun stuff!

Would you like to take a panoramic look at the changes?

https://api2.enscape3d.com/v3/view/505f3ae2-ae21-4826-9657-89095a82134f

THAT SURE IS SOME NICE... carpet. :effort:

Like, I don't even want to know how much this company got paid to stick a camera on the floor and render that "panorama". Talk about a waste of money. I mean, maybe they were going for "this is how a toddler is gonna see it", but it's really not doing much to dissuade the "my tax dollars are paying for this?!" harpies.

edit: now, if I was still working there, you'd best believe I'd be putting this goon shibboleth on the LEGO wall:

I II
II I _

JacquelineDempsey fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Dec 23, 2019

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Leperflesh posted:

Textiles could be better, although of course sewing uses needles, sewing machines are nearly as finicky and prone to needing to be adjusted/tuned/fiddled with as 3d printers, etc., but at least it's possibly a little quieter, and things like knitting/crocheting are fairly accessible and safe.

Sewing machines are probably too loud for the library (and expensive for ones that won't go to poo poo the second someone looks at it funny). But I'd be at my library even more than I already am, if they had knitting needles and crochet hooks for testing, and lessons, especially if they could get specific ones. Like "Learn to Knit This Specific Hat!" for people who already have the basics, instead of just "Knitting 101". Having needles and hooks on hand, though, would be especially of interest to me. Gauge (numbers of stitches and rows per inch) is really important to a lot of patterns, and the simplest way to fix a gauge issue is changing your needle size. If I couldn't get gauge on...we'll say size 10 needles, and wanted to try going up to 11 but didn't own them, it'd be really nice to have a way to test that size without just buying them and hoping they're what I need.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
Knitting guilds/groups/etc. should have resources like that, fwiw

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Several of the libraries in my system have weekly knitting clubs, full of old ladies that would gladly help you learn how to knit things.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
My local (excellent) library does semi-regular presentations at my office and they always, ALWAYS get asked why they don't have makerspaces. As a frequent patron and community member, I appreciate their summer lunch program for kids and classes that prep immigrant parents for public schools much more than I would a place to 3D print stuff.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

Several of the libraries in my system have weekly knitting clubs, full of old ladies that would gladly help you learn how to knit things.

Every public library I've worked at has had knitting clubs, agreed. One of them had a full on quilting club.

DONT TOUCH THE PC
Jul 15, 2001

Cloks posted:

As a frequent patron and community member, I appreciate their summer lunch program for kids and classes that prep immigrant parents for public schools much more than I would a place to 3D print stuff.

Those are a lot better, although I have to say that a lot of librarians overestimate their educational skills, which reduces the effectiveness of these programs.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

DONT TOUCH THE PC posted:

Those are a lot better, although I have to say that a lot of librarians overestimate their educational skills, which reduces the effectiveness of these programs.

Uh, are librarians actually leading those classes themselves? I've only ever seen guest presenters actually teaching those types of programs in my system.

DONT TOUCH THE PC
Jul 15, 2001

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

Uh, are librarians actually leading those classes themselves? I've only ever seen guest presenters actually teaching those types of programs in my system.

In the Netherlands they were, because actual qualified personnel was too expensive.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

It varies. At one of the county library systems I worked at, all staff, even the paraprofessionals, were required to teach a minimum of one class per year.

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

I posted this to the interior design thread, but it feels relevant here as well.

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

Pretty sure I've seen a game or two on steam with similar design principles

DONT TOUCH THE PC
Jul 15, 2001

Zamboni Rodeo posted:

I posted this to the interior design thread, but it feels relevant here as well.

the Special Collections of the UvA (Aniversity of Amsterdam) library had a glass bridge over the entrance, it took them about a week to put some privacy tape on it, this… god...

edit: my partner just informed me that TU Delft also had this issue with grating in their library.

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

After reading about creeps in this thread...

quote:

Ultimately, the team chose specially-manufactured steel grates from Poland’s Progress Architektura with gaps big enough to allow air to circulate in the main enclosure (more solid flooring with similar attributes proved too pricey). The super see-through material, Tschapeller said, challenges the idea of the floor as most stable elements in architecture. When I told him that I could see clear up into the stacks at other students, he urged visitors to respect each other—no creeping permitted.
Multiple women I spoke with for this article have noticed the space’s upskirt potential and are adjusting their library use accordingly. “Knowing that I have to think about what I’m wearing as I enter the library is off-putting to me. What was Cornell thinking?” said Nicole Nomura, a second-year graduate student in landscape architecture and city planning. Nomura was wearing a dress the first day she visited, and did not feel comfortable stepping up into the stacks.

Tschapeller confirmed there’s no way to add opacity to the grates—it would interfere mightily with the ventilation. “Coverings on top of the grating would literally destroy the project,” he elaborated in an email.
[Bolding mine] IT WOULD DESTROY IT. 25 MILLION DOLLERS. DESTROYED. LIBRARY. BUILDING: GONE because the put some opaque lining on the floor

This is not friendly to anyone wearing dresses, much less niqabs and other such clothing. You can see the slats in the top right of this image:

And if you zoom in on this image:

You can absolutely see up skirts. Not much may be visible, but that's not the point at all of peeping toms and other creeps. Plus, creeps could just say 'oh I was looking at books on the top shelf, that's all, I didn't mean to follow the person above me constantly around, staring! tee hee!]

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

value-brand cereal posted:

[Bolding mine] IT WOULD DESTROY IT. 25 MILLION DOLLERS. DESTROYED. LIBRARY. BUILDING: GONE because the put some opaque lining on the floor

This is not friendly to anyone wearing dresses, much less niqabs and other such clothing. You can see the slats in the top right of this image:

You can absolutely see up skirts. Not much may be visible, but that's not the point at all of peeping toms and other creeps. Plus, creeps could just say 'oh I was looking at books on the top shelf, that's all, I didn't mean to follow the person above me constantly around, staring! tee hee!]

That’s dumb as hell in anything that isn’t a warehouse, good to see the architect of the Berlin airport is still getting a paycheck!

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

quote:

Winter could turn this porosity into a dirty hazard. Slushy boots will have to be thoroughly de-crudded before entering to avoid spreading debris on other patrons (or worse, the expensive monographs). Here too, Tschapeller emphasized taking care of the space—it should be common sense to make your filthy shoes less gross before entering a $21.6 million building.

what

e: This designer has never been in a real library, apparently, because what the gently caress

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?
In addition to all that's been said about it being terrible, there's this earlier thread topic:

quote:

The renovation also involved adding wood, metal and digital fabrication shops, a makerspace, research lab and small-tool repository to the building's ground floor.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.
What a hideous loving library, upskirt potential notwithstanding.

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

value-brand cereal posted:

I never thought architecture could adequately capture the spirit of :jerkbag:, but I was clearly mistaken.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

I was describing this horrow-show of a library to my husband. He's never worked in a library, but has heard all the stories I've posted here (and then some).

Between my "holy poo poo they have metal grate floors" and "so it's basically upskirt reddit heaven", he interjects:

"How the gently caress do you push carts on that?"

Me: :stare:

Creep-factor aside, how DO you lug a book truck on metal grating? Also, how acoustically horrible must that library be, also gerkjgebrkgbjerkblkgvsbjk I'm having a stroke just thinking about how Cornell, the Ivy League crown jewel of upstate NY education, could gently caress this up so terribly

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

There is definitely a large large contingent of architects who hate that people and their silly needs keep getting in the way of their beautiful buildings

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

Why are book carts so expensive

Lemony
Jul 27, 2010

Now With Fresh Citrus Scent!
On top of all the other problems with it, using that library looks like it would be awful for anyone with vertigo, or even just a fear of heights.

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

Also it'd be really, really hard to find an isolated corner in which to masturbate. See, it's not all roses for the pervs.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Lemony posted:

On top of all the other problems with it, using that library looks like it would be awful for anyone with vertigo, or even just a fear of heights.

Gaaaahhhhh, I hadn't thought of that either! I'm pretty okay with heights, but I used to hate riding my bike over the bridge that crossed the river in my hometown because it was a metal grate bike/pedestrian path. If I looked down, it would freak me the gently caress out. Now I'm imagining trying to browse the stacks, looking down, and brrrr.

And just echoing the "slushy boots" factor: Fleta McGurn, you can back me up on this, upstate NY winter shoes/boots are a fuckin' mess of not only snow and mud, but salt, too. Oy, those poor books and people on the lower levels.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

This is bad in so many ways that it reminds me of an old thread called 'if I failed at everything in life I wish to be an rear end in a top hat architect' where everyone came up with the most aggravating un-ergonomic designs ever.
E: one of the very first posts there was stairs at an extremely steep angle.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

There is definitely a large large contingent of architects who hate that people and their silly needs keep getting in the way of their beautiful buildings
I'm convinced they hate libraries specifically.

Our building won an architecture award. Our reception area is cramped, we're currently running into major trouble redesigning the space because there's just no room, meanwhile there's a large empty lobby right outside our doors. Gotta have exhibition space 4 weeks a year! Also the untreated wood they're so proud of that makes up our floors and countertops is splintering like mad and makes it so you can't write on top of it. You never notice that sort of thing until you have to fill in multiple forms a day.

This is a university that's famed specifically for its architecture department.

e: don't even get me started on the trend where every library built in the last ~15 years has to have curved shelves.

Robert Facepalmer
Jan 10, 2019

Dropped pen/phone/keys/etc. Plinko will be amazing. Bonus points if the centers of the stacks have inaccessible black holes.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

My Lovely Horse posted:

Also the untreated wood they're so proud of that makes up our floors and countertops is splintering like mad and makes it so you can't write on top of it. You never notice that sort of thing until you have to fill in multiple forms a day.

Ugh, that sounds like a nightmare. When our department got renovated, the asst director was pushing so hard for some pebbly-textured faux-granite countertops until I showed her how much fun it would be when every meeting room application and credit card slip would look like the Squiggle Vision from Dr. Katz.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

JacquelineDempsey posted:

And just echoing the "slushy boots" factor: Fleta McGurn, you can back me up on this, upstate NY winter shoes/boots are a fuckin' mess of not only snow and mud, but salt, too. Oy, those poor books and people on the lower levels.

Another upstate NYer here and listen: the only way you are keeping that kind of slush/salt out of your library is by literally making me take my boots off at the door. I can scrape them all day but slush is coming in anyways.

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010
Uh, how the gently caress do disabled people use that library?

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

MAKE NO BABBYS posted:

Uh, how the gently caress do disabled people use that library?

Another extremely good point. When the theatre in my library got decimated by Hurricane Isabel, and we replaced all our seating, our seating size shrunk a bit because thanks to US obesity, we had to put in wider chairs,. for ADA compliance Also, when we renovated our lobby/desk, we had to put in a lower section of the desk for folks in wheelchairs. We took ADA compliance seriously.

None of which I objected to either then or now, mind you --- libraries should be for everyone (well, except some of the creeps/stalkers/sex pests I've talked about earlier). But yeah, how the gently caress did THAT nightmare get by ADA standards? If you have to use a cane, grated floors are just :psyduck:

My library was two-story, and we did have a private, keyed elevator primarily used for getting books trucks up to the 2nd story, but also available for differently abled folks. Circ shelvers would take the key to get the trucks up to non-fiction, and that was always the time a person in a wheelchair would show up and ask to use the elevator. Cue me running up the stairs and then around the 2nd floor hunting down a key-hoarding shelver.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Oh yeah our reception counter also has this wooden beam running along so we can just slide books right under it, and it's exactly the right height to block any face to face visual contact between us and any visitors in wheelchairs, we have to either stand up and loom over them or hunker down and peer through the book slot. Silver lining: we're redesigning the entire reception area next year, somehow I ended up on the committee, and I have made it my mission in life to push as hard as I can for getting rid of that beam and the untreated wood.

Mind you since we're still dealing with architects we first had to convince them to not put up shelves so visitors couldn't even see us behind the counter coming in

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I wanna see (from a safe distance) what happens when someone on the top floor vomits.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

The grated decking isn't even nearly as offensive as the hundreds of thousands of wasted cubic feet above the centerline

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Leperflesh posted:

I wanna see (from a safe distance) what happens when someone on the top floor vomits.

I had this thought as well. If it was a public library, no doubt there would be piss or poo poo from some kid or homeless person. "Oh, well, it's Cornell, not a public library" I start to to think, then remember how Cornell has a reputation for a staggering suicide rate because of the stress of trying to make it in an Ivy League school. There's either gonna be blood or drunk/overdose vomit on those stacks. :(

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

A reputation for a staggering suicide rate and three levels of stacks with an easily scalable railing and a large empty concrete area in front of them, you say!

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.
We've gone from throwing oneself in the gorge next to Nabokov's old house to throwing oneself off what can only be described as a perve grate; I don't predict a shining future for the Ivies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

*throws down Diana Gabaldon paperbacks to break the fall*

More like... Ouchlander amirite???!!!

DeadFatDuckFat fucked around with this message at 09:30 on Dec 27, 2019