Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Queen-Of-Hearts
Mar 17, 2009

"I want to break your heart💔 and give you mine🫀"

Hihohe posted:

I propose when lowtaxs spine finally twists into hangman's noose and strangles him, we all bury ourselves with him. Burn the ashes, salt the earth and no one will ever know the sins we've committed.

Ah.. I see you've read the TOS.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Those who did are no true goons.

Stex T
Mar 7, 2005

Shut the fuck up and get out. Have fun being a slave of the rich and powerful.
How has everybody forgotten Dolan memes? Those were the poo poo back in the day, and by back in the day I mean a handful of years ago.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

Stex T posted:

How has everybody forgotten Dolan memes? Those were the poo poo back in the day, and by back in the day I mean a handful of years ago.

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎
i enjoyed these this year

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HzBRbWtUL08

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vuzy2OsVy1c

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U_2G_TZn5Zs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tV8IzC0fb50

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OwwkjgHE2mk

snergle
Aug 3, 2013

A kind little mouse!
skyrim is the meme of the decade. loss is the meme of life.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

God that's a terrible photo but I might have seen that one in the wild

Sjs00
Jun 29, 2013

Yeah Baby Yeah !

Milo and POTUS posted:

God that's a terrible photo but I might have seen that one in the wild

Nope I just took that pic tonight

Queen-Of-Hearts
Mar 17, 2009

"I want to break your heart💔 and give you mine🫀"

MISSED CONNECTIONS! :allears:

razorrozar
Feb 21, 2012

by Cyrano4747
idk about meme of the year but personally i really enjoyed the Initial D memes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hxO-0SW9OAE

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Basically any meme with a caption is top tier in my opinion.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

razorrozar
Feb 21, 2012

by Cyrano4747

where's a good place to start with Le Guin? she's written quite a bit

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy

razorrozar posted:

Left Hand of Darkness is an excellent starting point. Then The Word for World is Forest

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

RareAcumen posted:

Basically any meme with a caption is top tier in my opinion.

What’s this one called because that’s my vote

DiggityDoink
Dec 9, 2007

razorrozar posted:

you could basically pick anything she's ever written, they're all fantastic

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

razorrozar posted:

Her stuff is all good but also pretty diverse, so it really depends what you want to read.

The Earthsea series is great and a light read since they're aimed more at kids or YA readers.

Anything in the Hainish Cycle is good, The Dispossessed is defs my favourite and is quite a slow political/anthropological narrative. The others are more typical sci-fi I guess.

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!

razorrozar posted:

I would start with the short story collection The Wind's Twelve Quarters which has my two favorite stories ever: "Semley's Necklace" (aka "The Dowry of the Angyar") and "The Ones Who Walk Away From Omelas".

Or A Wizard of Earthsea which is nominally a kid's book, but it was written before the Harry Potter era shaped the YA genre. It holds up for adults and has sequels.

If you want a full length novel, depends on what you are interested in:
Anarchist politics = The Dispossessed
Gender identity = The Left Hand of Darkness
Personal ethics = The Lathe of Heaven
Traditional 60's sci fi sagas = Rocannon's World, Planet of Exile, City of Illusions (in that order)

e: but really this is the answer

DiggityDoink posted:

you could basically pick anything she's ever written, they're all fantastic

wizzardstaff has a new favorite as of 06:31 on Dec 27, 2019

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
I started with Earthsea when I was 14-ish and just rolled with it from there.

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost
Dad had a small Leguin collection that got me into sci-fi for a while, as well as a few Andre Norton paperbacks. She's definitely worth the time. I remember there was another book with what appears to be an alien with features rearranged in a Picasso like manner, and I only got far enough into the book as a child to learn that it involved demi-human domestic workers that were, for all appearances, normal young women, but would age rapidly if their employers "succumbed to temptation". I have no idea who wrote it or what it was called but it's tickling my memory and doesn't SOUND like a Leguin book.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

lol that absolutely sounds like a le guin book

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost
For all I remember it may as well be but "weird alien Picasso book about how everyone knows you sexually abuse your maids because they're suddenly old the next day at the market" hasn't been helpful in Google.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Yoda going back for more olive is a good 1

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

I dunno why we're debating the meme of the decade yet, there's still a year left to go

Kheldarn posted:

There's still another year left in the decade. Plenty of time for a real winner to emerge.

Stretch Marx posted:

Got bad news for ya...

mind the walrus posted:

It says a loving lot about this place that I didn't even blink and figured you were being dead serious and just hadn't noticed it was 2019

A decade is a period of ten years.

Any period of ten years.

As long as no one does something rash in specifying the decade as something like “the second decade of the third millennium”, everyone can be right.

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

I'm going to argue with a JPEG for a moment to and say that Dumbledore was always hella gay.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
Ted Crusty videos and the Shooting Star meme will always hold a place in my heart.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
regarding Le Guin: The Earthsea books definitely mature as they go on. The first three or four are defintely YA. The last few the characters have grown up and the themes and topics are more relevan to adults, imo

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Snowy posted:

What’s this one called because that’s my vote

Know your meme is a website full of scumbags but this is what they're using and gently caress if I can ever think of a way to name it. https://knowyourmeme.com/memes/fantasy-painting-object-labeling

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Sjs00 posted:

Nope I just took that pic tonight

drat that sucks. Really it makes sense though; god knows I'd do it. Where was it at the risk of sounding like a stalker

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

razorrozar posted:

Catwings

Amphigory
Feb 6, 2005

RareAcumen posted:

Know your meme is a website full of scumbags but this is what they're using and gently caress if I can ever think of a way to name it. https://knowyourmeme.com/memes/fantasy-painting-object-labeling

Catchy

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Jollity Farm posted:

Our descendants may say that Loss was the meme of the century.

obviously, assuming there are any humans left to make that judgement by then

These shapes are a message... and part of a system of messages ...pay attention to them!
Sending this message was important to us. We considered ourselves to be a powerful subculture.
This place is not a place of honor ... no highly esteemed deed is commemorated here... nothing valued is here.
What is here was dangerous and repulsive to us. This message is a warning about danger.
The danger is in a particular location... it increases towards a center... the center of danger is here... of a particular size and shape, and below the navel.
The danger is still present, in your time, as it was in ours.
The danger is to the baby, and it can kill.
The form of the danger is an emanation of baby.
The danger is unleashed only if you substantially disturb this place physically. This place is best shunned and left uninseminated.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Jerry Cotton posted:

We considered ourselves to be a powerful subculture.
This place is not a place of honor ... no highly esteemed deed is commemorated here... nothing valued is here.
What is here was dangerous and repulsive to us.
lol

got our asses

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Platystemon posted:

A decade is a period of ten years.

Any period of ten years.

As long as no one does something rash in specifying the decade as something like “the second decade of the third millennium”, everyone can be right.

Yeah but we need one more year to make ten years

Bert Roberge
Nov 28, 2003

razorrozar posted:

Read Earthsea book 1. If you don't like her politics stop, but she's written a lot of really good fantasy stuff.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Bert Roberge posted:

Read Earthsea book 1. If you don't like her politics stop, but she's written a lot of really good fantasy stuff.

Lol no don't. That's literally aimed at literal children.

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

So?

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KoyhYt5HzZg

aardwolf
Apr 27, 2013

Jerry Cotton posted:

These shapes are a message... and part of a system of messages ...pay attention to them!
Sending this message was important to us. We considered ourselves to be a powerful subculture.
What is here was dangerous and repulsive to us. This message is a warning about danger.
The danger is in a particular location... it increases towards a center... the center of danger is here... of a particular size and shape, and below the navel.
The danger is still present, in your time, as it was in ours.
The danger is to the baby, and it can kill.
The form of the danger is an emanation of baby.
The danger is unleashed only if you substantially disturb this place physically. This place is best shunned and left uninseminated.

Anybody going to all this trouble to keep me out is obviously hiding some seriously cool poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vitamin Me
Mar 30, 2007

Jerry Cotton posted:

Lol no don't. That's literally aimed at literal children.

Literal children as opposed to uhh..figurative children?

Also 'literally aimed' implies the existence of a big book-shooting gun lol