Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

To the internet nerds' credit, they didn't target anyone who had nothing to do with it like Reddit did during the Boston Marathon Bombing.

Shame that those though animal guys did though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Inspector Hound posted:

I hate almost all the characters in The Expanse, also it's better than Game of Thrones

They really hosed up Chrisjen. Through ep4 her every scene is childishly yelling at people and being reactive instead proactive like previous seasons. She also acts like politics are a mystery or beneath her when before she was a master at it.

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

wormil posted:

They really hosed up Chrisjen. Through ep4 her every scene is childishly yelling at people and being reactive instead proactive like previous seasons. She also acts like politics are a mystery or beneath her when before she was a master at it.

I'm still going back over the previous seasons, she's up there in my "gently caress you" book so I hope she gets hers in s4

So far the only good guys are detective Miller and the hacker with the robot eye and, well, both dead. Alo I understand the robot eye guy was technically bad I don't care

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

ive been playing with magnuts tying to change the wold as we know it

Detective No. 27 posted:

To the internet nerds' credit, they didn't target anyone who had nothing to do with it like Reddit did during the Boston Marathon Bombing.

Shame that those though animal guys did though.

Yes, I absolutely thought that there was going to be a reveal that they singled out the wrong person. There's a point where a new video comes out and one of the internet detectives goes "so we were watching it closely to see how we could tie it to Luka" and I was just thinking that they had made up their minds and would ignore anything that didn't point at him.

That's why I thought it was so strange that the doc cut out or ignored that another person is involved in one of the videos.

My big complaint is that the doc gives Luka the notoriety that he clearly wants and tries to paint him as this master strategist but then chastises people for viewing their documentary and others like it as entertainment. Honestly, there are things they use as evidence of his master scheming that seem like complete coincidence to me. Casablanca poster to telegraph his escape to Paris seems like a huuuuge stretch.

The dude is a Canadian dweeb named Eric Newman who can't spell the word 'probably', he's not The Riddler. The doc really inflates his importance in a silly way.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

WWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW posted:

Would it matter? It's obvious Canadian police give less than two shits about animal torture.

American cops also become extremely cautious and passive in response to animal abuse yet justify anything up to and including homicide based on a whiff of marijuana or seeing dark skin.

I presume Canadian police don’t have a policy to murder family dogs on sight, at least.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Yeah didn't a cop kill a person recently while wildly trying to shoot a dog running at him. I think they were called specifically to help the woman too.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Jolo posted:

My big complaint is that the doc gives Luka the notoriety that he clearly wants and tries to paint him as this master strategist but then chastises people for viewing their documentary and others like it as entertainment. Honestly, there are things they use as evidence of his master scheming that seem like complete coincidence to me. Casablanca poster to telegraph his escape to Paris seems like a huuuuge stretch.

Agreed. Tbh Luka seems like a complete idiot that was able to coast for a bit due to the sheer incompetence of the Canadian police. it was kind of annoying the way he was portrayed as an evil genius when everything he did suggested otherwise. The dude left most of his belongings including his loving ID in a trash bag with his victim's body. I don't know if that was intentional or not, but it sure as hell wasn't 3D chess.

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Dec 25, 2019

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
You're right. It was 4D

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

An idiot trying to outfox an idiotic police department sounds like a Cohen Bros movie. It's pretty much Burn After Reading.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

So far I’m really enjoying the Witcher show but tbh I find it confusing sometimes. There’s so many characters and so much poo poo going on I’m losing track occasionally.

The monster in Ep 3 was cool and I hope there is more of that. Also the fight choreography is really good.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

veni veni veni posted:

So far I’m really enjoying the Witcher show but tbh I find it confusing sometimes. There’s so many characters and so much poo poo going on I’m losing track occasionally.

The monster in Ep 3 was cool and I hope there is more of that. Also the fight choreography is really good.

If you are confused, don't worry. There are multiple timelines, with Yennefer being the oldest followed by Geralt and finally Ciri. The biggest clues are in episode 1 when Renfri mentions Queen Calanthe's recent victory which happened much further in the past when it was discussed with Ciri, and in episode 3 when Foltest was at the ball Yenn attended while Geralt's story was about dealing with him as an adult.

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"

veni veni veni posted:

yeah ive just recently read most of the books and the time skipping is still a bit confusing to me. to a casual viewer the whole experience must be bewildering and offputting

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

https://twitter.com/carolineliddick/status/1209968517010907136?s=19

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Ammanas posted:

yeah ive just recently read most of the books and the time skipping is still a bit confusing to me. to a casual viewer the whole experience must be bewildering and offputting

Yea I'm not sure how someone coming in without any book or game knowledge would be able to follow it at all. At the very least I think you need to know that Geralt and the sorceresses don't age the same way regular humans do. I don't know a lot about the storylines from the book but I at least was ready for scenes to take place years apart because the games span long stretches of time and a bunch of the characters never age.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
I've just noticed that, sometime recently, Netflix has once again added Mystery Incorporated, which is sincerely the best Scooby Doo show.

mem
Sep 1, 2005
I have not read any Witcher books, and bounced off Witcher 3 at the end of the tutorial, and I've had no issues watching the Netflix show. Finished it up yesterday. I did not realise the *minor spoiler previously posted* until early episode 4 when it becomes really obvious.

I really enjoyed it, look forward to season 2. My wife has read some of the books, and doesn't play videogames, she also enjoyed the show.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

Inspector Hound posted:

I hate almost all the characters in The Expanse, also it's better than Game of Thrones
Im still on season 1 but i like pretty much everyone but Miller
Having to have a cop/detective story in there just seems so...basic. i know its the fault of the original books and i do like thomas jane but everything with him in this series is whatever for me so far.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Im also kinda disappointed that by ep 6 season 1 that they have to use the same crew. Wouldve liked seeing Holden bounce off new OPA characters like they were setting up and the tension with the fail-safe/who controls the ship while the usual gang just stayed on Tycho like they planned.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
Don't gently caress with cats is weird, especially the montages of google maps accompanied with dramatic music. also impressive how you can brute force your way in a investigation. They didn't need to upload photos onto a site for the exif data, just use preview on mac

Only 1 ep in. I know the exploitative nature of true crime is part of the charm but this one feels more so than others.

Honest Thief fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Dec 27, 2019

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

It ends on an eye rolling note.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I watched The Confession Killer right after I finished Don't gently caress With Cats. I was kinda bored with the first episode but it got me hooked with episode 2. I somehow never heard of Henry Lee Lucas before it. The show also did a good job revealing how much the Texas Rangers' reputation is total propaganda.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
This Doom movie on Netflix is like the ultimate Doom fan film, but kinda in a good way?

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Punkin Spunkin posted:

Having to have a cop/detective story in there just seems so...basic. i know its the fault of the original books and i do like thomas jane but everything with him in this series is whatever for me so far.

It's the story that ties the whole show together and I cried at the end of it

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Inspector Hound posted:

It's the story that ties the whole show together and I cried at the end of it

Not gonna lie, me too.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Punkin Spunkin posted:

Yeah, I felt the same way at the start but it ends up in a good place.

Jubs
Jul 11, 2006

Boy, I think it's about time I tell you the difference between a man and a woman. A woman isn't a woman unless she's pretty. And a man isn't a man unless he's ugly.

Jolo posted:

Ok I just finished "Don't gently caress With Cats" and there's one piece of information that seems really important that the documentary shows and then completely ignores.

The final episode brings up the idea that Luka has been forced into killing by a mysterious person named Manny. One piece of evidence supporting this is another person's hands petting a cat in one of the killing videos. The group of internet detectives even talks about analyzing each video frame by frame but never mentions another person being present in any of the videos. The doc ends with the police saying nothing shows that anyone else was involved in the killings. Uh, someone else was present for one though, right? I guess it's very possible that the owner of the big snake was there for that video. Maybe he just knew a creep who was fine feeding his snake a kitten.

Anyone follow this case and know anything about it? If they're analyzing a wolf blanket and a wall poster there's no way they didn't obsess over this, right?

It might have just been the pythons owner. But he was known to splice two videos together. On the human murder video, it starts out with someone tied up in the bed moving, then cuts (no pun intended) to a person tied up with their throat slashed. The alive guy was actually something he taped a few days prior (page 76 and 99).

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Basebf555 posted:

This Doom movie on Netflix is like the ultimate Doom fan film, but kinda in a good way?

That's crazy I was literally just thinking earlier today that someone should take another stab at a Doom movie. Looks kind of stupid from the trailer though haha.

I don't get why no one makes Doomguy the star of loving Doom movies. Or why they redesign the Demons so they don't look like the ones from the game.

I'll watch it anyways. I just want a Doom movie with Doom Slayer and the raging metal from Doom 2016 and all the monsters looking right though.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

From what I heard, Doom Annihilation is basically an ash can movie.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Every garbage-tier video game movie sequel should have Annihilation as its subtitle. Worked for Mortal Kombat... I'm ready for Super Mario Bros.: Annihilation

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Burger time annihilation

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!
Pixels Annihilation

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
Annihilation: Annihilation

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
The Godfather: Annihilation

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Sex and the City: Annihilation

Ignis
Mar 31, 2011

I take it you don't want my autograph, then.

Ready Player One: Annihilation

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

withak posted:

The Godfather: Annihilation

Based on the second video game, I assume?

It was odd. The first Godfather game was an action/stealth game where you played a Corleone gang member who did odd jobs like decapitating the horse and sneaking the head onto its owner's bed. The sequel is an action-simcity hybrid where you also have to manage your crime empire.

The MSJ fucked around with this message at 07:00 on Dec 27, 2019

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
exactly

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Detective No. 27 posted:

From what I heard, Doom Annihilation is basically an ash can movie.

It has the budget of one, but a thousand times the gumption. It's really not a bad watch if you're okay with it looking like a SyFy movie.

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
Terminator: Annyhylation

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Detective No. 27 posted:

I watched The Confession Killer right after I finished Don't gently caress With Cats. I was kinda bored with the first episode but it got me hooked with episode 2. I somehow never heard of Henry Lee Lucas before it. The show also did a good job revealing how much the Texas Rangers' reputation is total propaganda.

Check out Henry: Portrait of a Serial Killer sometime.