Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

The same is true of the Ewok films, which have likewise survived because they're really well-made.
In what sense have those movies survived tho

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

Pollyanna posted:

Yo, has Disney said anything about public reception to the movie? It seems mixed at best. I get that it's got like an 86% audience score on RT, but Metacritic and IMDB are way lower, and it really does seem like there's a 50/50 on whether people like it or not. Plus, people seem to be leaning towards not liking it on rewatches.

It got a B+ on cinemascore, which is kinda like an exit poll. It is the worst in the entire franchise.

Gorelab
Dec 26, 2006

Doesn't rotten tomatos filter out really bad reviews?

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
:discourse:
filters out .5 and 1 star reviews, i think

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

Horizon Burning posted:

filters out .5 and 1 star reviews, i think

Wait wait wait wait. What?

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Also wondering if people are honestly expecting Disney to come out with a press release and be like “we just want to formally apologize to a fraction of people on the internet for anecdotally Luke warm reactions to our latest blockbuster.”

Or if you expect them to change all the advertisements to “SOME CRITICS ARE SAYING “sheev lol”, SEE STAR WARS NOW!”

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
They'll just pivot into the Mandalorian, as people actually seem to like that and it's blowing up for them. Why would they focus on the failure?

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
The thing about the reaction to this film versus episodes 8 and 9 is that, far more this time around, it seems like both the people who liked the film and didn't like the film, generally agree on what the major problems with the film are and just disagree about how "bad" that makes the movie. Like, I can fully accept a lot of the criticisms, but they didn't bother me to the point I didn't enjoy the movie.

The only people who are outright crazy are the folks crying that Rey was somehow ruined by being a Palpatine.

Sylink
Apr 17, 2004

Movies these days are trying too hard to be TV shows. They are cramming in plot left and right and not taking the time to develop it. And at that point it should just be a TV show.

The Manadalorian is good because its not rushing around, and focuses on a tight story each episode I've seen so far. Its also not explaining everything constantly.

Sci-fi/fantasy aren't alone in this, TV/series shows are so much better these days. And they've shown audiences don't need high budget spectacle if you have a tight aesthetic and a good story.

The only good movies I've seen lately were very focused plot-wise, like Parasite, and were great stand-alone encapsulated stories.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

It's not just that, but ROS also being the final entry in a trilogy of trilogies only makes it harder. They should have had clear scripts for each movie solidified before they even began considering filming, and then lined up a single director for them all. The whole thing has been a mess that's clearly a result of Disney wanting to rush out as many movies as possible the moment that they got the license. Would have been interesting if Hamill/Ford/Fisher declined the films and Disney had to actually stop and think.

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

There's really no meaning in making beetles fight.

Gorelab posted:

Doesn't rotten tomatos filter out really bad reviews?

Check this out: audience score has been frozen at 86% since the movie came out, basically.
Some redditor did a post on it. It’s STILL 86%. Hasn’t moved at all, which I find highly suspicious

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

PT6A posted:

The thing about the reaction to this film versus episodes 8 and 9 is that, far more this time around, it seems like both the people who liked the film and didn't like the film, generally agree on what the major problems with the film are and just disagree about how "bad" that makes the movie. Like, I can fully accept a lot of the criticisms, but they didn't bother me to the point I didn't enjoy the movie.

The only people who are outright crazy are the folks crying that Rey was somehow ruined by being a Palpatine.

It was more interesting that she was a nobody. It was one of the good bits from Last Jedi.

I could sorta understand people liking Last Jedi even if I thought it was bad but I legitimately can't grasp people enjoying this one. It's turbo dumb from the opening scenes.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

SUNKOS posted:

It's not just that, but ROS also being the final entry in a trilogy of trilogies only makes it harder. They should have had clear scripts for each movie solidified before they even began considering filming, and then lined up a single director for them all. The whole thing has been a mess that's clearly a result of Disney wanting to rush out as many movies as possible the moment that they got the license. Would have been interesting if Hamill/Ford/Fisher declined the films and Disney had to actually stop and think.

Reminds me of Endgame having such a 'thrown together hastily five minutes after Infinity War came out' feel. For all their big plans and yearly releases, they don't actually prepare to any reasonable standard.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

nemesis_hub posted:

People wouldn’t shut up for years about ”I hate sand”, which as Zoran just showed is in fact a good scene. But this stuff somehow passes by without comment.

Oh thank gently caress someone finally brought this up. I recall the dialogue in both TFA and TROS being not very good at all. TLJ was a hell of a lot better in this regard, lots more memorable quotes and cool exchanges. Take that stupid thing off, Everything you just said was wrong, The Force does not belong to the Jedi, Maybe, They were nobody, THE SACRED JEDI TEXTS, Page-turners they were not, Blast that piece of junk OUT OF THE SKY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!, I will not be the last Jedi, etc.

TFA and TROS, comparatively, have nothing quotable. It's amazing.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Reminds me of Endgame having such a 'thrown together hastily five minutes after Infinity War came out' feel. For all their big plans and yearly releases, they don't actually prepare to any reasonable standard.

I thought I was the only one considering how crazy people went for Avengers but yeah, I thought Endgame was complete and utter poo poo (even more so than ROS) and it being the highest-grossing movie of all time or whatever is amazing considering how bad it is. I'm not being hyperbolic when I say it's literally one of the worst films I've ever seen. I don't have anything against Marvel superhero movies (Thor: Raganarok was fun) but I can't fathom how Endgame got the reception that it did.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Pollyanna posted:

Excuse you!

they fly now they fly now they fly now

mitochondritom
Oct 3, 2010

Pollyanna posted:

There's a couple of lines in TFA that I like.

"It's true, all of it" and also "That's not how the force works", both from Han.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

The Dave posted:

Also wondering if people are honestly expecting Disney to come out with a press release and be like “we just want to formally apologize to a fraction of people on the internet for anecdotally Luke warm reactions to our latest blockbuster.”

Or if you expect them to change all the advertisements to “SOME CRITICS ARE SAYING “sheev lol”, SEE STAR WARS NOW!”

The big sign would be Kathleen Kennedy moving on from the franchise since they just extended her contract for three years last year, but it would still be pretty easy to save face with it by saying it was just the right time with the conclusion of the trilogy. She's an insanely successful producer, so it's not like she'd be fired altogether, just moved to other poo poo. The other thing that may be telling is seeing how hard they course correct when the start announcing new movies, but we'll probably have to wait a bit for that.

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group

Pollyanna posted:

Oh thank gently caress someone finally brought this up. I recall the dialogue in both TFA and TROS being not very good at all. TLJ was a hell of a lot better in this regard, lots more memorable quotes and cool exchanges. Take that stupid thing off, Everything you just said was wrong, The Force does not belong to the Jedi, Maybe, They were nobody, THE SACRED JEDI TEXTS, Page-turners they were not, Blast that piece of junk OUT OF THE SKY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!, I will not be the last Jedi, etc.

Rian Johnson is legitimately good at dialogue. I've been strongly recommending Knives Out to everyone for a month now.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

PT6A posted:

I kind of wish The Mandalorian had come before the movies so that Rey's origin was "She was bitten by a radioactive Yoda baby. That's why she has awesome Force powers." That way she could legitimately be a nobody rising on her own instead of the product of special Star Wars eugenics.

Or the answer to the origins of Rey and Snoke was "It turns out they were already dead from the spaceship crash this whole time."

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010
I wonder what would happen if they made film versions of the KOTOR games. They, especially KOTOR 2, have the potential to be either amazing movies or absolute trashfires, but nothing in between.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Wild Horses posted:

Check this out: audience score has been frozen at 86% since the movie came out, basically.
Some redditor did a post on it. It’s STILL 86%. Hasn’t moved at all, which I find highly suspicious

I would double-check this, but RT no longer offers a public API. You have to submit a proposal and request in writing if you want to make use of their API. Not suspicious at all!

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Mymla posted:

I wonder what would happen if they made film versions of the KOTOR games. They, especially KOTOR 2, have the potential to be either amazing movies or absolute trashfires, but nothing in between.

They'd need to change so much to adapt it that they'd probably better off doing a loose reimagining with some of the same characters.

I think it'd work better as a miniseries.

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog

Mymla posted:

Depends if they'd have to pay royalties to someone else I guess.

The perspective of a successful live-action KOTOR opening the way to a wave of RPG adaptations would be amusing at least.

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker

Mulva posted:

Nah the prequels suck poo poo, namaste.
How surprising, a legitimate effort post followed by a no effort post.

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

jolly good chaps we sure showed the hun

hell, you could probably just adapt KOTOR to act as the backbone for the sequel trilogy

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Knowing what I do of KOTOR, we're better off if Disney doesn't touch it.

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

KOTOR 1 probably doesn't translate to cinema that easy (it's another 'secretly bad lineage' story except predicated on the player discovering it) and KOTOR 2 is ten times more subversive than TLJ was. I do not trust disney with either lol.

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die
The newest episode of Mandalorian begins with two Stormtroopers killing time. They sit around and chit chat for 90 seconds of screen time, and I swear to god by the end of those 90 seconds they're more humanized than any character in the sequel trilogy

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

dex_sda posted:

KOTOR 1 probably doesn't translate to cinema that easy (it's another 'secretly bad lineage' story except predicated on the player discovering it) and KOTOR 2 is ten times more subversive than TLJ was. I do not trust disney with either lol.

Can you remind me of the plots again, all I remember is the PC is a brainwashed sith Lord

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Star Wars should just stick to video games. The prequel and sequel trilogy's are essentially just video game cutscenes.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Cheesus posted:

How surprising, a legitimate effort post followed by a no effort post.

I put in real effort to save that poster from the Sisyphean task of trying to rehabilitate the prequels. It's just that it seemed like brevity would be an easier way to do so.

They beat the sequels out in having a clear vision of the story they want to tell, which the sequels never did, but it doesn't change the myriad of flaws in nearly every single moment.

e:

mastershakeman posted:

Can you remind me of the plots again, all I remember is the PC is a brainwashed sith Lord

The first is about a Jedi that goes to fight a Sith Emperor and gets turned to the Dark Side, so the Jedi wipe his mind to try and redeem him. The second is about a Jedi who committed some minor war crimes that caused a wound in the Force, and closed themselves off from it in self-defense. Both are solid enough starting places for a movie.

Mulva fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Dec 27, 2019

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

There's really no meaning in making beetles fight.
^ i would say the war crimes were not minor at all, closer to a hiroshima/nagasaki event that ruined scores of jedi mentally because how hugely damaging it was. The entire vidya game is about the MC coping with this and being manipulated by his/her Nietzschean mentor figure

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog
i wonder how anal people would get about spoilers regarding the first game considering it came out in 2003 and its main twist is well-known within the fandom.

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

Pollyanna posted:

"The dead speak!"

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

People have been repeating “I am all the Jedi” for pages.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011

Wild Horses posted:

^ i would say the war crimes were not minor at all, closer to a hiroshima/nagasaki event that ruined scores of jedi mentally because how hugely damaging it was. The entire vidya game is about the MC coping with this and being manipulated by his/her Nietzschean mentor figure

Man it wasn't even that big a wound in the Force, people getting worked up about nothing.

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

Frog puns are toadally awesome

The biggest question I have from the whole trilogy is: what's up with Adam Driver's face?

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog

The Little Death posted:

The biggest question I have from the whole trilogy is: what's up with Adam Driver's face?

He's still the most normal-looking Dark Side user outside of Christopher Lee.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

YaketySass posted:

He's still the most normal-looking Dark Side user outside of Christopher Lee.

Samuel Jackson is “normal” looking. As is Hayden.