Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Krispy Wafer posted:

That drove me bonkers with Game of Thrones. They build this world where there are 7 separate kingdoms separated by enough land to have distinctly individual cultures and by season 8 they're making what was a 6 week journey in a matter of days. Some of it can be explained with dragons, but people without dragons were making the trip through cold, starving, war torn areas in record breaking time.

That isn't irrational. The travel times shrank massively in S7 and S8 because the writers were overcompressing the storyline to get it finished. What you're seeing onscreen is basically what would have happened if GRRM had decided to ignore the problem he wrote himself into when he realised the five-year break in the story wasn't going to work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
GoT was a victim of it's own success because the only reason they couldn't take their time and tell the story right was the actor's contracts. If they wanted to extend the show for another 2-3 seasons they would've had to recast the two most important characters because Clarke and Harrington were done with it.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Jedit posted:

That isn't irrational. The travel times shrank massively in S7 and S8 because the writers were overcompressing the storyline to get it finished. What you're seeing onscreen is basically what would have happened if GRRM had decided to ignore the problem he wrote himself into when he realised the five-year break in the story wasn't going to work.

I could believe this up to a point. And that point was when they were north of the wall and stuck on an island. They were surrounded by the White Walkers and the only reason they weren't attacked was because the ice broke up and the White Walkers didn't want to swim to them.

So they somehow got word from north of The Wall, down to Dragonisle or whatever it was, and Danny got on her dragon, and flew up there all in the time it took for the ice to re-freeze around that island.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
Hasn't Martin said he hosed up and killed off some minor character that he now desperately needs for the story lines to work? I fail to see what the problem is. He can just make up another character, name him Robert like half of his other characters, and let them be the machina ex deus.

Basebf555 posted:

GoT was a victim of it's own success because the only reason they couldn't take their time and tell the story right was the actor's contracts. If they wanted to extend the show for another 2-3 seasons they would've had to recast the two most important characters because Clarke and Harrington were done with it.

That makes a lot of sense. They had a blank check from HBO so it was weird how they were rushing everything. Contracts explain it.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Krispy Wafer posted:

Hasn't Martin said he hosed up and killed off some minor character that he now desperately needs for the story lines to work? I fail to see what the problem is. He can just make up another character, name him Robert like half of his other characters, and let them be the machina ex deus.

That makes a lot of sense. They had a blank check from HBO so it was weird how they were rushing everything. Contracts explain it.

Hasn’t he brought several characters back from the dead anyway?

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Krispy Wafer posted:

I mean, I'm sure if they offered them A-list movie actor money they would've stayed but a blank check at HBO isn't the same as starring in a blockbuster movie and getting millions for like a months work. HBO wasn't looking to pay Emilia Clarke 10 million on top of what the show already cost to produce. I think she got somewhere in the range of half that for the final season and they probably only did that because they had no other choice.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Krispy Wafer posted:

He said the show hosed up by having Jorah kill Joqo or whoever after Dany had her baby because he’s the one leading the horde of Dothraki that finds Dany making GBS threads in the desert. The show fixed that by just making up a new Khal.

He also said he wanted to add in the Ros character into the books after falling for the actress and talked of giving her a bigger role in the later books, then D&D had her killed by Joffrey in the following season.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
Singin' in the Rain chat- the idea to lie about Lena's voice was not Don's but Cosmo's. Because Cosmo is great.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Sand Monster posted:

Yep. And this graphic comparing the travels of Jon Snow versus the Night King and his army is pretty funny:

https://twitter.com/BryndenBFish/status/897809517437734912

they're called the White Walkers for a reason

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Cold effect makes them slow

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

That map is using Reverse Mercator projection. The North of the Wall is actually much larger than Westeros so the distances traveled are about the same.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Cold effect makes them small

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.

Tunicate posted:

Its not that difficult to get a feel for weights you handle frequently. It used to be a high school science olympiad event to be able to heft things in your hand and know the weight within a couple grams.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5cazkHAHiPU

Alexander Hamilton
Dec 29, 2008
The Greatest Showman doesn’t just whitewash PT Barnum, who was even for his time a piece of poo poo, but it also turns Jenny Lind into a simpering hussy when she was, in fact, a devoted philanthropist who donated all of her American tour earnings to charity. It’s kind of hosed up!

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Catchy songs tho

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
What was the first movie or show to put the "Mexico filter" on their cameras to show that a scene is taking place south of the border?

Alexander Hamilton
Dec 29, 2008

Henchman of Santa posted:

What was the first movie or show to put the "Mexico filter" on their cameras to show that a scene is taking place south of the border?

Traffic, maybe? It had different filters on each story.

Olaf The Stout
Oct 16, 2009

FORUMS NO.1 SLEEPY DAWGS MEMESTER

Henchman of Santa posted:

By no means the first but the effect always reminds me of Breaking Bad now. Rip Tortuga.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Olaf The Stout posted:

By no means the first but the effect always reminds me of Breaking Bad now. Rip Tortuga.

I was inspired to post that because of BB, actually

Kramdar
Jun 21, 2005

Radmark says....Worship Kramdar
Seconding Traffic. It was an epidemic after that.

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013
Fallout New Vegas.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Arrested Development.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slćgt skal fřlge slćgters gang

the little arabic leitmotif every time they cut to george senior in michael's dead wife's maternity mumu

e: wrong thread, it is not irritating. it is however irritating that jeffrey tambor is a jerk :(

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

packetmantis posted:

Fallout New Vegas.

The original release of Deus Ex: Human Revolution.

Pee filter is real.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Mierenneuker posted:

The original release of Deus Ex: Human Revolution.

Pee filter is real.

Tired:The player character is a Christ metaphor.
Wired:The player character is a Piss Christ metaphor.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

I don't get why the Power Rangers reboot movie used a goofy and cheesy script that's fairly appropriate for the franchise and then wasted a bunch of money trying to make all the technology look modern and badass.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY posted:

I don't get why the Power Rangers reboot movie used a goofy and cheesy script that's fairly appropriate for the franchise and then wasted a bunch of money trying to make all the technology look modern and badass.

I still don't understand why that movie, which seemed perfectly happy falling into the cornball niche of the old show, decided it needed a "leaked nudes as revenge" subplot in the third act.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY posted:

IIRC the script writer said he made a goofy and cheesy script he thought fit Power Rangers and the studio then wanted to make a dark and edgy movie.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
No one on Earth is less mature than the guys who want grimdark "serious" reboots of the entertainment they loved as children. It's the farthest thing from real maturity you could actually do.

They haven't grown up, so they're embarrassed by the things they enjoy, so they want a version of it that isn't embarrassing for an adult to admit watching. They end up with something aimed at the 14 year old who doodles monsters and boobies in his notebook and spends his allowance at Hot Topic, which is far more embarrassing than anything an 8 year-old loves.

Imagined has a new favorite as of 15:30 on Dec 29, 2019

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Imagined posted:

No one on Earth is less mature than the guys who want grimdark "serious" reboots of the entertainment they loved as children. It's the farthest thing from real maturity you could actually do.

They haven't grown up, so they're embarrassed by the things they enjoy, so they want a version of it that isn't embarrassing for an adult to admit watching. They end up with something aimed at the 14 year old who doodles monsters and boobies in his notebook and spends his allowance at Hot Topic, which is far more embarrassing than anything an 8 year-old loves.

Galaxy brain: Real maturity is not being embarrassed about liking grimdark boobs.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

sassassin posted:

Galaxy brain: Real maturity is not being embarrassed about liking grimdark boobs.

Grimdark can be fun, I know I loves me some dumb WH40K lore wikis, but they have a point about the whole "gritty reboot" thing. It'd be one thing if it wasn't so common, or if they actually did it in interesting and unique ways. Instead, every revived property seems to have the same few edgy arcs jammed into them to make it "mature".

PizzaProwler
Nov 4, 2009

Or you can see me at The Riviera. Tuesday nights.
Pillowfights with Dominican mothers.

sassassin posted:

Yeah, 'Heavy Metal' rules.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Thing is I think it's not even anywhere close to a plurality of fans who want grimdark serious reboots of anything, especially since how many of them turned out to be boring as hell and ashamed of their source material. It works for Batman because Batman started out that way and has since happily switched between serious, grim, silly and surreal and back again, often all in the same work.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
I, for one am looking forward to our new grimdark Ghostbusters.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

PizzaProwler posted:

Yeah, 'Heavy Metal' rules.

Agreed.

The thing is that "grimdark" is just as camp as "camp", if not moreso. Because they are both silly, over the top and performative.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
Heavy Metal is cool for having John Candy say "dork" as a euphemism for "penis."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=niC6Jq6aI2o

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slćgt skal fřlge slćgters gang

:actually: in the original comics Den walks around with his Dork hanging out, i will not stand for this retcon!

Depressio111117
Oct 18, 2014

A whole world of imagination beyond the oompah band.
Last episode of The Mandalorian-

”Are there any more stormtroopers?”
“Nope! Although I have no more information than you do, I’m confident that was the last of them!”

A whole lot of poo poo in this show was glossed over, or happens only because the plot needs it, but for some reason that really annoyed me.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Depressio111117 posted:

Last episode of The Mandalorian-

”Are there any more stormtroopers?”
“Nope! Although I have no more information than you do, I’m confident that was the last of them!”

A whole lot of poo poo in this show was glossed over, or happens only because the plot needs it, but for some reason that really annoyed me.

The last episode of the Mandalorian was both fantastic and horrible in a way most shows are incapable of pulling off.

Fantastic parts? Speeder Troopers talking just like you always imagined they would. Horrible parts? Laser sword.

It takes real talent to make something awesome and cringe inducing at the same time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy
It wouldn't be a star war without laser swords :v: