Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gyrf
Aug 14, 2010

Thauros posted:

i have a 2017 mbp that still works other than a trashed screen. is there any way i could give it to my parents to use with their 2010 imac seeing as a monitor? i know this would work if it was one year newer but that’s basically the last one without target display mode

Guessing it’s a 21" iMac since the 27" did have target display mode via the mini display port.

You could use a Luna Display in Mac-to-Mac mode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.

gyrf posted:

Guessing it’s a 21" iMac since the 27" did have target display mode via the mini display port.

You could use a Luna Display in Mac-to-Mac mode.

I didn’t realize 21 inches didn’t have TDM? Anyway Luna Mac to Mac works great but not as a full time solution. I use it with my work laptop and iMac Pro both hard wired. It’s good but not perfect and would drive me nuts if it was my only display.

Fire Safety Doug
Sep 3, 2006

99 % caffeine free is 99 % not my kinda thing
I have a 2015 MBP 15” that has given me grief from the get-go, mostly display-related. The usual scenario has been that in relatively light use (seemingly often related to Office 365 or Quicktime Player) the fans suddenly start howling, the screen first flickers and then goes grey before crashing completely.

I took it in for a service under AppleCare+ in late 2017 and the entire logic board was swapped out. This seemed to help for a while, but the problems have returned and now the display is more or less completely hosed on the laptop itself, although it curiously seems to be fine on an external display – but the crashes still happen. I’ve tried SMC resets, NVRAM/PRAM resets, black magic and frustrated tears.

My questions are:

- Is this a recognized problem? I’ve tried looking it up online but haven’t found a case that would have been 100% the same.

- Is there an obvious fix? If yes, is there any way I can get Apple to pay for it (since it’s essentially the same issue they were supposed to fix already?)

- And if I go shopping for a new laptop, is there an Apple model that would be more suited to my needs (mainly Word, Excel, running a PC-only translation software over Parallels)? I’ve been getting big-screen MBPs out of habit, but if three grand doesn’t get me a machine that can run Word without crashing, I might as well save the money.

Thanks in advance for any help.

eames
May 9, 2009

Does your 15” have a dedicated GPU or is it the iGPU only model?

Fire Safety Doug
Sep 3, 2006

99 % caffeine free is 99 % not my kinda thing

eames posted:

Does your 15” have a dedicated GPU or is it the iGPU only model?

The AppleCare repair receipt says ”discrete GPU”, so the former?

eames
May 9, 2009

Fire Safety Doug posted:

The AppleCare repair receipt says ”discrete GPU”, so the former?

I see. Some people believe discrete GPU models tend to be less reliable as they age.

My 2013 15” with dGPU (admittedly a completely different logic board) had similar issues. It would crash at low-medium loads for a few months until it didn’t start up at all. I had the logic board replaced. That lasted 8 months until the new logic board started crashing again. Apple warranties repairs for 6 months.

Oddly enough it was fine whenever a Thunderbolt device was attached. That’s something you could try, even the simple Apple Thunderbolt Ethernet dongle worked for me.

You are not the only one with this problem but it isn’t very well documented either. There are lots of theories why this happens, from faulty thunderbolt controllers to GPU VRM power problems and CPU Vcore dropping too low. Last time I checked not even the board-level repair ships like Rossman knew what the problem is.
Maybe the more recent posts in this thread describe your problem?

eames fucked around with this message at 12:58 on Dec 23, 2019

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Is there any way to fix this on my 2017 13" MBP short of getting a new screen? ifixit doesn't seem to have the part.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Residency Evil posted:

Is there any way to fix this on my 2017 13" MBP short of getting a new screen? ifixit doesn't seem to have the part.

That screen’s hosed and needs a full swap.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Electric Bugaloo posted:

That screen’s hosed and needs a full swap.

Well poo poo. I guess I'll keep this for a while until the 2020 MBPs with the non-poo poo keyboards come out.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

Residency Evil posted:

Well poo poo. I guess I'll keep this for a while until the 2020 MBPs with the non-poo poo keyboards come out.

I was in the market for a new MacBook after a motorcycle accident left my previous laptop inoperable. I was looking at the 13" but after I specced it to what I wanted (16 gigs ram, at least 512 gig hd) it was almost as expensive as the 16inch MacBook Pro. So I ordered one of those and Apple delivered it yesterday. The keyboards on the 16" are the newer butterfly version and it seems like it works pretty well.

Brain Issues
Dec 16, 2004

lol

Hekk posted:

I was in the market for a new MacBook after a motorcycle accident left my previous laptop inoperable. I was looking at the 13" but after I specced it to what I wanted (16 gigs ram, at least 512 gig hd) it was almost as expensive as the 16inch MacBook Pro. So I ordered one of those and Apple delivered it yesterday. The keyboards on the 16" are the newer butterfly version and it seems like it works pretty well.

The 16" is a scissor switch again like the old MacBooks, not a new butterfly version.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

Brain Issues posted:

The 16" is a scissor switch again like the old MacBooks, not a new butterfly version.

Ahh ok my mistake. I haven’t owned a MacBook since 2012. I must have read this incorrectly.

Brain Issues
Dec 16, 2004

lol

Hekk posted:

Ahh ok my mistake. I haven’t owned a MacBook since 2012. I must have read this incorrectly.

Regardless, you made the right choice going with the 16". I bought one too. It's a really nice machine. Did you get the base model i7 too? It's hard to beat for value right now.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

Brain Issues posted:

Regardless, you made the right choice going with the 16". I bought one too. It's a really nice machine. Did you get the base model i7 too? It's hard to beat for value right now.

Yeah I did the base model with 512 gig SSD because it came out to 2200 with the student discount. I figured I could always use an external HD for big files and I honestly keep most important stuff stored in the cloud anyways. I was using an XPS-13 which frankly worked fine but I am finishing up my last semester in school and do a lot of database and software development stuff so having a unix terminal keeps me from having to use virtual machines with linux builds.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Hekk posted:

I'm hoping the inevitable 13" refresh brings higher specs down in price - it's pretty ridiculous how much one with 16 GB of RAM and 512 GB SSD will run you. I overwhelmingly prefer the portability of the 13" over the 16", but I'll just buy the 16" if it's only $200 more than a similarly specced 13" (currently $2199 vs 2399).

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

Wasn't sure whether to ask this in the hardware or software thread but I ordered a couple of Samsung external SSDs (T5) and just saw that they apparently don't work with OS Catalina? There's a lot of complaints and Samsung are directing people to updated software which doesn't seem to fix the issue, and from what I can gather it looks like there's no fix in sight. Should I return these when they arrive or is it just a Samsung software issue and the drives are still usable without it?

If they are useless with Catalina, does anyone have any recommendations? Was looking for 2TB and saw on the Apple store they sell LaCie drives, but reviews don't seem too pleased with them and user reviews have too many random bricking reports for me to feel comfortable paying the premium to use them.

eames
May 9, 2009

I have a Samsung T5 and it works with Catalina on the latest Mac mini.

The only issue is that it randomly gets ejected while the computer is in standby/sleep. Apparently that's a hardware issue related to too low idle power draw of the SSD so the computer shuts off the USB ports. Other than that it works as expected. That could be either a showstopper or a non-issue depending on the way you use the drives.

I also have one of the new LaCie drives bought in an Apple Store.
Although not advertised these use 2.5" Seagate drives with tiered storage (NAND+CMR+SMR) technology. I'd say that's a fairly risky combination but so far mine works ok. I keep regular versioned backups and wouldn't trust it with irreplaceable data.

WD Elements series would have been a safer choice but it wasn't available when I needed the drive.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

SUNKOS posted:

Wasn't sure whether to ask this in the hardware or software thread but I ordered a couple of Samsung external SSDs (T5) and just saw that they apparently don't work with OS Catalina? There's a lot of complaints and Samsung are directing people to updated software which doesn't seem to fix the issue, and from what I can gather it looks like there's no fix in sight. Should I return these when they arrive or is it just a Samsung software issue and the drives are still usable without it?

If they are useless with Catalina, does anyone have any recommendations? Was looking for 2TB and saw on the Apple store they sell LaCie drives, but reviews don't seem too pleased with them and user reviews have too many random bricking reports for me to feel comfortable paying the premium to use them.

I heavily researched external SSDs last year and ended up getting a Sandisk Extreme over a T5 - it’s more rugged, dust/water resistant, and it won’t scratch up any of your other devices because it’s not made of metal. I couldn’t be happier with it.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

It's time for me to ditch Hackintosh and use my MacBook Pro as a desktop machine again. The one thing I will be missing is having access to big, fast storage. I am thinking that USB3 is not sufficient for this, since I run my desktop by symlinking the major /Users subfolders to a big hard drive. Should I be looking for a Thunderbolt enclosure of some kind? I have a 2015 rMBP, so it would be Thunderbolt 2, but I would want Thunderbolt 3 compatibility for when I inevitable upgrade. 1 bay is fine.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

:stonk:

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

It's time for me to ditch Hackintosh and use my MacBook Pro as a desktop machine again. The one thing I will be missing is having access to big, fast storage. I am thinking that USB3 is not sufficient for this, since I run my desktop by symlinking the major /Users subfolders to a big hard drive. Should I be looking for a Thunderbolt enclosure of some kind? I have a 2015 rMBP, so it would be Thunderbolt 2, but I would want Thunderbolt 3 compatibility for when I inevitable upgrade. 1 bay is fine.

You want like NVMe fast? Get a Pluggable Thunderbolt drive. The USB SSD externals from Samsung and Sandisk are pretty snappy though

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

I'm a dumb piece of poo poo and don't actually know that much about interface speed, can USB 3/3.1 saturate a SATA hard drive? I'm just going to slap a shucked 14TB WD Red in whatever I buy

My plan is to set up a "docked" user account with user account folder symlinks to the external drive and a "portable" account that keeps everything on the SSD. That way I can, for instance, seamlessly use iTunes with my huge ALAC library when the mbp is docked and use iTunes match on the go.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Dec 26, 2019

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

I'm a dumb piece of poo poo and don't actually know that much about interface speed, can USB 3/3.1 saturate a SATA hard drive? I'm just going to slap a shucked 14TB WD Red in whatever I buy

Easily. Especially a spinner

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
I think my AEBS (current gen) is starting to go. Since they don't really make them or are planning on continuing the product line, are there any recommendations for a replacement? Anything that lets me plug in a hard drive and do TM backups over the network?

edit: I guess for TM backups I could plug an external drive into my main iMac and configure stuff so the other computers can save to that disk.

Jose Oquendo fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Dec 26, 2019

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Jose Oquendo posted:

I think my AEBS (current gen) is starting to go. Since they don't really make them or are planning on continuing the product line, are there any recommendations for a replacement? Anything that lets me plug in a hard drive and do TM backups over the network?

edit: I guess for TM backups I could plug an external drive into my main iMac and configure stuff so the other computers can save to that disk.

Lots of nas units support time machine

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Get a synology unit, make an automator action to automatically connect to it on login, and make sure to check "Immediately release resources after disconnect" under AFP options on the Synology. Done

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
Is apple ever going back to having a macbook line up that makes sense? They got rid of one of the three at least but the macbook pro 16” and 13” feel way more different than the macbook air and the pro 13”.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

cowofwar posted:

Is apple ever going back to having a macbook line up that makes sense? They got rid of one of the three at least but the macbook pro 16” and 13” feel way more different than the macbook air and the pro 13”.

When the 13" Pro gets refreshed, yes.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Just set up my 15 year old nieces MacBook Air in gold. If it wasn’t for the keyboard, I would run out and buy one for myself in a heartbeat. Can’t wait for these to get the new keyboard.

Granite Octopus
Jun 24, 2008

Get a synology unit, make an automator action to automatically connect to it on login, and make sure to check "Immediately release resources after disconnect" under AFP options on the Synology. Done

You can just drag the mounted share into the Login Items section of your user preferences, Automator isn’t necessary afaik

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

hey look an Ice Lake MacBook (Air?)

decent improvement?

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

I don't get why Apple consistently lets GeekBench results slip like that.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Probably too many engineering samples floating around to keep them locked down.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Quad-Core + LPDDR4 RAM in a MacBook Air would make the 13” MacBook Pro an even worse value.

Pakistani Brad Pitt
Nov 28, 2004

Not as taciturn, but still terribly powerful...

Interesting, according to that site that Air is good 25% faster than my Late 2013 2.3Ghz 15" rMBP. (well, the scores are like 25%ish better, I don't know if that's 1:1 'faster' )

That's really exciting, since I bought this thing after a 2010 Air, mostly for all the ports + enough oomph to do some Windows VMing for work, even though I preferred the Air form factor. Since my workflow, even in 2019 doesn't really overtax this machine, I'm very tempted to just go back to an Air now. I imagine ports are a wash since its all Dongle Life these days.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

It would have WiFi 6 too.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Pakistani Brad Pitt posted:

Interesting, according to that site that Air is good 25% faster than my Late 2013 2.3Ghz 15" rMBP. (well, the scores are like 25%ish better, I don't know if that's 1:1 'faster' )

That's really exciting, since I bought this thing after a 2010 Air, mostly for all the ports + enough oomph to do some Windows VMing for work, even though I preferred the Air form factor. Since my workflow, even in 2019 doesn't really overtax this machine, I'm very tempted to just go back to an Air now. I imagine ports are a wash since its all Dongle Life these days.

Just make sure you can live with two TB3 ports

I have a 15" 2013 that I haven't had any luck selling. Great machines, those were (and still are. If it had 16GB I wouldn't have upgraded)

Pakistani Brad Pitt
Nov 28, 2004

Not as taciturn, but still terribly powerful...

Bob Morales posted:

Just make sure you can live with two TB3 ports

I have a 15" 2013 that I haven't had any luck selling. Great machines, those were (and still are. If it had 16GB I wouldn't have upgraded)

Yeah mine is 16GB/512 and frankly the above is more of a 'want' than a need. With a new battery a few years ago (well worth it as they replaced the whole keyboard/trackpad) it's still chugging along just fine. Probably the biggest issue with it is the screen is just dirty/decoated a way that no amount of scrubbing has been able to fix.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Gay Retard posted:

Quad-Core + LPDDR4 RAM in a MacBook Air would make the 13” MacBook Pro an even worse value.
I imagine it’ll get hex cores whenever it gets updated with the new keyboard.

(...hopefully before I need to buy a notebook in April :ohdear:)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

japtor posted:

I imagine it’ll get hex cores whenever it gets updated with the new keyboard.

(...hopefully before I need to buy a notebook in April :ohdear:)

Ice Lake is only up to 4C/8T so you'd be looking at Comet Lake which is on the old 14nm process. You'd still get WiFi 6 and LPDDR4, except at 2933 instead of 3733.

You also won't get the generational leap in power / perf from the die shrink. Combined with the more powerful iGPU I think that's the biggest advantage of the new silicon. Intel 14nm parts with a few next-gen things bolted on is ... not exciting.