Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
Not that kind of dark euphronius

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Polo-Rican posted:

The newest episode of Mandalorian begins with two Stormtroopers killing time. They sit around and chit chat for 90 seconds of screen time, and I swear to god by the end of those 90 seconds they're more humanized than any character in the sequel trilogy

The newest episode was also directed by Taika Waititi, so...

I mean, he made basically the only passable Marvel movie of recent note, which is really saying something. Even Disney can't completely constrain him, but doesn't kick him off of their projects for his voice, either.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Cross your fingers for a Waititi SW movie

(Thor ragnarok is already a SW movie imho)

[as was Guardians of the galaxy.]

Gargamel Gibson
Apr 24, 2014
I liked Babu Frik.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
The most amusing thing about KOTOR1 is that, with complete freedom to go as far back into Star Wars past as desired, the story takes place after the Sith have been wiped out and is about an internecine Jedi conflict.

You'd think the Jedi/Sith conflict would be the thing to do, but nope! The game misses it by 200 years or so.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

The Little Death posted:

The biggest question I have from the whole trilogy is: what's up with Adam Driver's face?

Every time I look at him, I see a young Severus Snape

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Gargamel Gibson posted:

I liked Babu Frik.

yes

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

Mulva posted:

The first is about a Jedi that goes to fight a Sith Emperor and gets turned to the Dark Side, so the Jedi wipe his mind to try and redeem him. The second is about a Jedi who committed some minor war crimes that caused a wound in the Force, and closed themselves off from it in self-defense, written by a guy who hated Star Wars and thought it was dumb and decided to take all the dumb tropes in it to their logical conclusion.

fixed it

2 is quite TLJ, just done without any meddling and by someone who had a coherent vision. It's quite telling that probably the best SW story this millenium is an RPG by a guy who disliked SW and RPG tropes.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Schwarzwald posted:

The most amusing thing about KOTOR1 is that, with complete freedom to go as far back into Star Wars past as desired, the story takes place after the Sith have been wiped out and is about an internecine Jedi conflict.

You'd think the Jedi/Sith conflict would be the thing to do, but nope! The game misses it by 200 years or so.

They were smart to realize that it's more fun to explore old Sith relics than to actually interact with Sith.

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

Darko posted:

They were smart to realize that it's more fun to explore old Sith relics than to actually interact with Sith.

Yeah for all the flak I tend to throw Bioware's way (I think they always were a little hacky and it just became apparent in recent years), the decision to place KOTOR where they did was smart, and it was a decent plot. It's probably their only game except for BG2 I really like.

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

dex_sda posted:

It's quite telling that probably the best SW story this millenium is an RPG by a guy who disliked SW and RPG tropes.

Attack of the Clones isn't an RPG and the guy who made it (George Lucas) actually quite liked Star Wars

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

My opinion on KOTOR from when I tried to play it again recently is that nothing about the gameplay is enjoyable and also speed-reading the constant boring dialogue was better than listening to it. I stopped playing it when it bugged out and didn't let me go meet the Tuskens without being instantly gunned down.

I did however like the one murder mystery sidequest on Dantooine.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

I remember soft-locking the game on the fish planet, since you can get caught and put on trial before uncovering anything, so you can't say anything to save yourself

Good times

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

It's really quaint that at one time, Bioware had the reputation of being the best creators of narrative focused games.

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

pospysyl posted:

"The dead speak!"

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
the dead gently caress!

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

neither KOTOR game has aged well at all gameplay wise and KOTOR 1’s story isn’t super interesting outside of the twist but KOTOR 2 is seriously brilliant and would make a great disney+ adaption in the right hands. though it really is a classic example of a video game story that uses the unique advantages of its medium

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

There's really no meaning in making beetles fight.

cargohills posted:

My opinion on KOTOR from when I tried to play it again recently is that nothing about the gameplay is enjoyable and also speed-reading the constant boring dialogue was better than listening to it. I stopped playing it when it bugged out and didn't let me go meet the Tuskens without being instantly gunned down.

I did however like the one murder mystery sidequest on Dantooine.

The dialogue is about 20x better in kotor 2. Even the guy who sounds like an amateur ASMR youtuber
Also Atton is a good take on the wise-cracking smuggler he’s actually an ex-sonderkommando SS maniac that left the nazi life behind and covered it up with a dumbass persona

Wild Horses fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Dec 27, 2019

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Vinylshadow posted:

I remember soft-locking the game on the fish planet, since you can get caught and put on trial before uncovering anything, so you can't say anything to save yourself

Good times

The original KOTOR2 had so many game-ending bugs that it was essentially unplayable for anyone that just happened to be unlucky enough to do a wrong sequence - and there were like 5 of them in which you wouldn't realize you broke the game until 4 or 5 hours later, which could also mess up your multi-save backups of earlier points to progress from.

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

Frog puns are toadally awesome

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Every time I look at him, I see a young Severus Snape

He's definitely got the Rickman nose.

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS

Darko posted:

The original KOTOR2 had so many game-ending bugs that it was essentially unplayable for anyone that just happened to be unlucky enough to do a wrong sequence - and there were like 5 of them in which you wouldn't realize you broke the game until 4 or 5 hours later, which could also mess up your multi-save backups of earlier points to progress from.

Sounds kinda awesome, more games should do that!

Consequences for your choices!

Gargamel Gibson
Apr 24, 2014

Intel&Sebastian posted:

the dead gently caress!

It was a graveyard gently caress.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Martman posted:

In what sense have those movies survived tho

The Ewok films were popular when released, but continue to be watched because they’re simply well-made. They withstand scrutiny.

As an example of how the prequels withstanding scrutiny, Padme says “to be angry is to be human” because she loves her husband more than his victims, dropping platitudes to comfort him and rationalize the atrocity to herself. She empathizes with Anakin, while the victims remain an ‘inhuman’ abstraction. Padme is a racist.

Now, that one dude claims it’s bad dialogue because Padme shouldn’t be racist - but that has nothing to do with the quality of the dialogue! That’s a blanket rejection of the very concept of the character, on moral grounds.

The dialogue is actually extremely tight, encapsulating Padme’s entire ideology in seven short words. To be angry is to be human. Massacres are tolerable. She says something stupid because she’s scared.

By contrast, let’s look at the very first lines of TFA:

“This will begin to make things right. I've travelled too far and seen too much to ignore the despair in the galaxy. Without the Jedi, there can be no balance in the Force.”

Now, the immediate reaction from fans was “oh! Haha! That’s JJ talking about the prequels! It’s a ‘meta’ thing!” But that’s not actually interpreting the dialogue; SanTekka wants to bring back the Jedi Order from the prequels. That’s what he defines as ‘making things right’: bringing back the prequel-era Republic, which he (falsely) perceived as being free of despair. This line comes immediately after the end of Episode 3, which ended with the Jedi Order destroyed. SanTekka also erroneously defines ‘balancing the Force’ as ‘the elimination of despair’, when the lesson of Episode 6 is that true balance comes from the existential freedom of accepting that there is no Force. So SanTekka is, like Padme, an idiot.

But is this good dialogue? The first thing to examine is who SanTekka is talking to. Why is he telling Poe what the USB key is and why it’s important? Poe already knows what it is, and why it’s important! TFA is plagued with this kind of pointless “as you know...” dialogue. Halfway into the WWII mission: “as you know, Hitler is bad. And we’re fighting Hitler. It’s World War Two now.”

At best, the gratuitousness of the dialogue conveys that SanTekka is hubristic: tempting fate by declaring with certainty that this will make things right,’ when we know full well that it won’t. It also carries the weird implication that Poe doesn’t understand what a Jedi is, or at least that SanTekka believes Poe to be ignorant. Even though they both seem familiar with the concept of The Force.

Poe does seem more interested in just following Leia’s orders, but he also seems absolutely convinced that contacting Luke Skywalker is the only chance they have of surviving? Poe is really wishy-washy here, referring to Leia as “General” instead of “Princess”, and then instantly changing his mind. Like, ‘yeah, the General is very princess-y.’ So this is really poor characterization for both characters.

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
So four years on, can anybody please explain to me how the Force was awakened and what consequences that had?

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Mameluke posted:

So four years on, can anybody please explain to me how the Force was awakened and what consequences that had?

The series of events in the Force Awakens? What are you confused about.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
It's like LOTR where some invisible good guys sort of guide fate in mysterious and inscrutable ways. That's clearly happening when Kylo, Poe and the map piece all crash into eachother on Jakku at the same time where it just so happens that Reypaltine is living.

Whoever's behind the scenes stopped hitting their snooze alarm and started making moves and the baddies who were already doing their poo poo felt it.

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
But when an analoguous series of events occurs on the same desert planet thirty years earlier, that's just coincidence?

Intel&Sebastian posted:

It's like LOTR where some invisible good guys sort of guide fate in mysterious and inscrutable ways.

Eru Iluvatar is ultimately just God. Are the sequels supposed to be about how the Force is Christianity instead of Buddhism?

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

Mandrel posted:

neither KOTOR game has aged well at all gameplay wise and KOTOR 1’s story isn’t super interesting outside of the twist but KOTOR 2 is seriously brilliant and would make a great disney+ adaption in the right hands. though it really is a classic example of a video game story that uses the unique advantages of its medium

This is mostly accurate, with one amendment: Jolee Bindo is an amazing character, and I feel there was potential for greatness - have your character have the 'neutral' option where you join up with Jolee and Bastila but give a fat middle finger to the Jedi. Idk, seems interesting

MrFlibble
Nov 28, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fallen Rib

I look forward to reading your post when the chatbot software used to create you is upgraded to being able to watch Rise of Skywalker*. I'd like to see your take on the whole trilogy.

If nothing else your posts are always interesting to read.

*or whatever your current lore is

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I wonder if Rey and Leia weren't meant to be the main characters of this trilogy. It feels like there was a lot that was cut for Leia in Last Jedi, and Rise of Skywalker. We'll probably never know though. All of the other characters were useless. Poe was drunk, Luke and Han disappeared from Leia's life, and Finns story arc was resolved in Force Awakens. Leia is presented as a pretty badass general that is keeping everything together despite everyone in her life abandoning her or dying horribly.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

I didn't watch it but I heard it was bad.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

I just finished watching The Mandalorian finale (which was fantastic), and god drat, that had way more of an emotional punch than TROS did. And a hype af ending hook. I say this as someone who loves the sequel trilogy characters too :(

I hope Disney doesn't pull Favreau off their Star Wars streaming endeavors and ask him to make Star Wars movies instead. I'd legit rather have really good Star Wars shows at this point anyways.

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"

teagone posted:

I just finished watching The Mandalorian finale (which was fantastic), and god drat, that had way more of an emotional punch than TROS did. And a hype af ending hook. I say this as someone who loves the sequel trilogy characters too :(

I hope Disney doesn't pull Favreau off their Star Wars streaming endeavors and ask him to make Star Wars movies instead. I'd legit rather have really good Star Wars shows at this point anyways.

Fairly sure they're keeping him on for season 2 which he announced today as coming out Fall 2020

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib
Leia was meant to be a major focus of Ep9, with Han and Luke having had their major beats in ep7 and 8. Carrie dying really complicated things.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

No I mean literally how do I watch the Ewok movies. It feels like they haven't survived

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

The Ewok films were popular when released, but continue to be watched because they’re simply well-made. They withstand scrutiny.

As an example of how the prequels withstanding scrutiny, Padme says “to be angry is to be human” because she loves her husband more than his victims, dropping platitudes to comfort him and rationalize the atrocity to herself. She empathizes with Anakin, while the victims remain an ‘inhuman’ abstraction. Padme is a racist.

Now, that one dude claims it’s bad dialogue because Padme shouldn’t be racist - but that has nothing to do with the quality of the dialogue! That’s a blanket rejection of the very concept of the character, on moral grounds.

The dialogue is actually extremely tight, encapsulating Padme’s entire ideology in seven short words. To be angry is to be human. Massacres are tolerable. She says something stupid because she’s scared.

I feel like this gets at people's real problem with the scene however: at this point in the story, he's not her husband. They basically met 48 hours ago. I think it's less that people are shocked that she's okay with murder than that she's okay with ultra violence from this random dude she just met. You can substitute Sand People with Cliegg Lars's ratty old couch and it's still a pretty weird scene.

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"

Martman posted:

No I mean literally how do I watch the Ewok movies. It feels like they haven't survived

Good luck. They used to be on Amazon Prime but disappeared you may have to buy physical copies or :filez:

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

jisforjosh posted:

Fairly sure they're keeping him on for season 2 which he announced today as coming out Fall 2020

Oh nice, confirmed release date. Hoping Favreau stays on as showrunner for multiple seasons.

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

Frog puns are toadally awesome

porfiria posted:

I feel like this gets at people's real problem with the scene however: at this point in the story, he's not her husband. They basically met 48 hours ago. I think it's less that people are shocked that she's okay with murder than that she's okay with ultra violence from this random dude she just met. You can substitute Sand People with Cliegg Lars's ratty old couch and it's still a pretty weird scene.

I mean, she knew him since he was a 10 year old so not really

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib

The Little Death posted:

I mean, she knew him since he was a 10 year old so not really

She went on kind ofan adventure when he was 10 (though they were mostly apart). When they meet as adults in AOTC it was the first time theyve seen each other since Anakins training.